Deployment schedule: let the guessing begin!

When I asked if Q Class ships were too big, I literally meant are they too big to cruise through Alaska. Some of those passages and straits are pretty small.

I personally think Q can fit any where Radiance goes other than Vancouver. At a clearance of only about 200', Radiance clears Vancouver's Lions Gate Bridge by only about 20'... no way for Q to fit even with the retractable funnel system, so any Alaskan sailing would have to be out of Seattle's Pier 91 (already home to X Solstice Class for Alaska).

Q is only 30ft wider and 180ft longer than Radiance (Q only 15' wider and only 100' longer than Solstice!!)... the narrowest point in Tracy Arm as an example is about 1/2 mile. Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan I can see fitting a Q class ship. With only a 3 port itinerary Q would PHENOMENAL in Alaska imo!!! Way better than the useless Nassau/Cococay 7 day itineraries out of Bayonne :eek: Just my 2 cents

Edited by Hoopster95

While it appears that Anthem (Ovation) and Adventure will be doing the traditional Southampton sailings in 2016, Independence is showing up as the wild card.

Adventure is confirmed at the Riviera ports while Indy is not. Adventure is also confirmed at Gibraltar while Indy is not.

Indy is showing calls in Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cartagena, Malaga, Cagliari, Valencia in the period from June to September. It may be that they are considering various itineraries with one or the other being deployed to Southampton or that Adventure will be the 2nd Southampton ship and that maybe Indy is based somewhere else.

The Indy calls are from the period where it was not officially announced that Anthem is due to sail Europe from Southampton - so I won't rely on the Indy calls and would replace Anthem or Ovation for it.

That Adventure sails from Southampton could well be (or Navigator), and the second ship should be Ovation, because I truly assume that Anthem sails year-round from Cape Liberty.

I personally think Q can fit any where Radiance goes other than Vancouver. At a clearance of only about 200', Radiance clears Vancouver's Lions Gate Bridge by only about 20'... no way for Q to fit even with the retractable funnel system, so any Alaskan sailing would have to be out of Seattle's Pier 91 (already home to X Solstice Class for Alaska).

Q is only 30ft wider and 180ft longer than Radiance (Q only 15' wider and only 100' longer than Solstice!!)... the narrowest point in Tracy Arm as an example is about 1/2 mile. Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan I can see fitting a Q class ship. With only a 3 port itinerary Q would PHENOMENAL in Alaska imo!!! Way better than the useless Nassau/Cococay 7 day itineraries out of Bayonne :eek: Just my 2 cents

I read on the =X= board that Solstice doesn't sail the Inside Passage. That to me is one of the best sections of the cruise. To me having a Q ship in Alaska would be a waste.

J

I read on the =X= board that Solstice doesn't sail the Inside Passage. That to me is one of the best sections of the cruise. To me having a Q ship in Alaska would be a waste.

J

Are you speaking of the Inside passage between the British Columbia coastline and Vancouver Island? or the inside passage in Alaska? Only ships leaving from Vancouver seem to do the BC coastline. Just as an fyi I don't think any cruise line does the Vancouver/Vancouver Island inside passage when leaving from Seattle... Rhapsody never did and it looks like Jewel doesn't either.

From the X website, it looks like Solstice definitely does the Alaska inside passage, and also travels into Tracey Arm Fjord (very much less room).

Bummer, I was hoping a new trend had started. It is always nice on my budget to have a year before final payment is due ;)

Me too!

I was hoping RCL would post their's since Celebrity has their'so posted. I'm not that impressed with some of the celebrity itineraries.

Me too!

I was hoping RCL would post their's since Celebrity has their'so posted.

Me too! My daughter is getting married in May 2016 and we're trying to "marry" up her wedding date with her desired honeymoon cruise dates. I know we still have lots of time, but it would be great to find out sooner rather than later what is available during that time.

Me too!

I was hoping RCL would post their's since Celebrity has their'so posted. I'm not that impressed with some of the celebrity itineraries.

I wasn't impressed either and you pay a premium to sail on Celebrity compared to RCI.

I had such a great cruise on the Serenade in October that I was hoping to start planning the next trip! I guess I need to patient :rolleyes:

Are you speaking of the Inside passage between the British Columbia coastline and Vancouver Island? or the inside passage in Alaska? Only ships leaving from Vancouver seem to do the BC coastline. Just as an fyi I don't think any cruise line does the Vancouver/Vancouver Island inside passage when leaving from Seattle... Rhapsody never did and it looks like Jewel doesn't either.

From the X website, it looks like Solstice definitely does the Alaska inside passage, and also travels into Tracey Arm Fjord (very much less room).

We left from Seattle and did the inside passage to Alaska (I think). It's been a few years but we were definitely in a narrow waterway and not at sea. We were on Infinity. It says on the website that Solstice sails the inside passage but as I mentioned above, on the Celebrity board recent cruisers have been unhappy because she Does NOT sail it. They are not happy that it's been advertised that it does.

J

Edited by joandian

We left from Seattle and did the inside passage to Alaska (I think). It's been a few years but we were definitely in a narrow waterway and not at sea. We were on Infinity. It says on the website that Solstice sails the inside passage but as I mentioned above, on the Celebrity board recent cruisers have been unhappy because she Does NOT sail it. They are not happy that it's been advertised that it does.

J

This confuses me. I just read through the first 5 reviews of Solstice in Alaska on the X board and no mention of the inside passage other than this:

"The highlight of the cruise was Alaska itself. Misty Fjords (Ketchikan) is not to be missed. The Cathedral Peaks mountain range near Haines, Alaska is spectacular (viewed when sailing the inside passage just outside Skagway). The best glacier viewing was at the North Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord. Many Harbor Seals were seen at the South Sawyer Glacier. A trio of spouting Humpback Whales were observed while sailing from Tracy Arm Fjord to Juneau."

Can you point out the posts where it says Solstice doesn't do inside passage?

Edited by Hoopster95

Royal just announced last Majesty cruise is April 29, 2016. Transfer to Pullmantur

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Here is the press release I just found on this:

MIAMI, Nov. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced that Majesty of the Seas will transfer from its Royal Caribbean International cruise brand to its Pullmantur brand in 2016. Majesty of the Seas' last 3-night sailing for Royal Caribbean International will depart on April 29, 2016. She will then enter dry dock before joining the Pullmantur fleet, allowing her to be tailored to fit Pullmantur's brand standards and offerings.

" Majesty of the Seas has created wonderful memories for millions of guests, and we expect this record of success to continue as she transitions to Pullmantur," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "The vessel's transfer is an excellent business opportunity for both Royal Caribbean and Pullmantur. We are fortunate that our mix of brands allows us the flexibility and opportunity to expand in key strategic markets."

This confuses me. I just read through the first 5 reviews of Solstice in Alaska on the X board and no mention of the inside passage other than this:

"The highlight of the cruise was Alaska itself. Misty Fjords (Ketchikan) is not to be missed. The Cathedral Peaks mountain range near Haines, Alaska is spectacular (viewed when sailing the inside passage just outside Skagway). The best glacier viewing was at the North Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord. Many Harbor Seals were seen at the South Sawyer Glacier. A trio of spouting Humpback Whales were observed while sailing from Tracy Arm Fjord to Juneau."

Can you point out the posts where it says Solstice doesn't do inside passage?

Here are some links for you. It appears the problem is that Solstice is to big/too tall to sail the traditional 'Inside Passage' route that the smaller ships sail, but does sail part. I think I read that it also can't get into Glacier Bay to see the Glacier calving like all the smaller ships do. I remember that well and we apparently broke to record for the season to get closest to the face of the glacier.

I'll stick to my original comment and say having a Q ship in Alaska is a waste. I'd much rather cruise the Itinerary offered on the smaller ships.

J

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2115631

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125968

Here are some links for you. It appears the problem is that Solstice is to big/too tall to sail the traditional 'Inside Passage' route that the smaller ships sail, but does sail part. I think I read that it also can't get into Glacier Bay to see the Glacier calving like all the smaller ships do. I remember that well and we apparently broke to record for the season to get closest to the face of the glacier.

I'll stick to my original comment and say having a Q ship in Alaska is a waste. I'd much rather cruise the Itinerary offered on the smaller ships.

J

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2115631

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125968

Yup, a whole lot of good info there. Did you read the whole thread or just the heading of the thread? Solstice, like all ships out of Seattle, sail in the Pacific Ocean on the 1st and last night of the cruise, obviously missing the inside passage of British Columbia/Vancouver Island. However, Solstice obviously travels through the entire Alaskan inside passage in order to see Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and the glaciers. Please look at your first thread and view the map half way down. I think your concerns are unfounded.

Edited by Hoopster95

I wasn't impressed either and you pay a premium to sail on Celebrity compared to RCI.

I had such a great cruise on the Serenade in October that I was hoping to start planning the next trip! I guess I need to patient :rolleyes:

We had the best cruise on Serenade in the Med last year! I doubt anything could top it, but I'm hoping she has a great itinerary for 2016. Next year we are trying Oceania for the first time.

Yup, a whole lot of good info there. Did you read the whole thread or just the heading of the thread? Solstice, like all ships out of Seattle, sail in the Pacific Ocean on the 1st and last night of the cruise, obviously missing the inside passage of British Columbia/Vancouver Island. However, Solstice obviously travels through the entire Alaskan inside passage in order to see Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and the glaciers. Please look at your first thread and view the map half way down. I think your concerns are unfounded.

I read it all when it was first posted and if you do so, you will see that she misses a whole lot that you can see from the smaller ships. I prefer to see everything and not have two days at sea, seeing nothing.

I read it all when it was first posted and if you do so, you will see that she misses a whole lot that you can see from the smaller ships. I prefer to see everything and not have two days at sea, seeing nothing.

No problem. Rhapsody, which I have sailed twice, normally does not do the British Columbia inside passage, but it does twice a year on it's repo to/from Hawaii out of Vancouver. Even the smaller ships out of Seattle miss those first and last days. You have to sail out of Vancouver. When you sailed Infinity, was that Vancouver or Seattle?

Radiance of the Seas has been added to the drop down menu for Singapore Marina Bay Cruise Terminal in the last week.

No dates available yet as only cruises added up until 29 March 2015.

Probably a dry dock.

Maybe off to Europe.

Maybe joining the Asian fleet.

http://mbccs.com.sg/

Hmm, interesting.

But she does have a Hawaii-Vancouver cruise the end of April 2016, which would indicate the beginning of another Alaska season.

"Originally Posted by springaussie View Post

Radiance of the Seas has been added to the drop down menu for Singapore Marina Bay Cruise Terminal in the last week.

Probably a dry dock.

Maybe off to Europe.

http://mbccs.com.sg/"

Hmm, interesting.

But she does have a Hawaii-Vancouver cruise the end of April 2016, which would indicate the beginning of another Alaska season.

All of Rhapsody's TP itineraries were cancelled when over half booked when the redeployment to Europe was announced, so even though these sailings are on the website now they can easily be cancelled and changed. Having said that Re springaussie's post, I really doubt Radiance will go to China. Radiance Class are the last if it's size to fit into many ports and under many bridges in current ports of calls. Not only that, the environmental needs for it's propulsion systems in Alaska & Baltics is a must have for RCL and this class of ship imho.

I still think the previous ideas are more likely that Legend and Splendour will be first to go to CTrip/China

Probably a dry dock.

Maybe off to Europe.

http://mbccs.com.sg/

Not long off Radiance and it was mentioned 2016 for a refurbish for her and I thought it was mentioned Portland, Oregon, not 100% certain re that. Maybe it was just under consideration. But was told early in 2014 that Radiance would eventually leave Australia. Seems reasonable as we were told to expect Quantum size sooner than later here in Australia - but probably years in RCI reasoning. Whether just a visit or season was not mentioned. Just a few cryptic clues given on last cruise to think about.

We had the best cruise on Serenade in the Med last year! I doubt anything could top it, but I'm hoping she has a great itinerary for 2016. Next year we are trying Oceania for the first time.

I agree and our cruise was the best so far too!

I really hope the Brilliance does the Med in 2016 :)