Deployment schedule: let the guessing begin!

Do not excited too early Geoff Royal love playing mind games with deployment!

They sure do. I guess we keep an out out for phantom entries in the Singapore and Sydney port schedules that might provide clues (or more mind games). :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geoff and Springaussie,

Have you checked out Sydney ports from 18th October where Celebrity Solstice is showing, yet according to Celebrity website the ship is doing a Singapore Cruise.There is quite a few cruises listed that do not match with what Celebrity has published recently, until at least December 2016.

Geoff and Springaussie,

Have you checked out Sydney ports from 18th October where Celebrity Solstice is showing, yet according to Celebrity website the ship is doing a Singapore Cruise.There is quite a few cruises listed that do not match with what Celebrity has published recently, until at least December 2016.

I haven't woodscruise, but will check this out - thx. Perhaps Royal has realised we're on to them when they conceal deployments with the name of other shios in the OTS fleet and are now using the sister brands' ships for this purpose. I recall someone found a similar anomaly with an Azamara ship recently.

Geoff and Springaussie,

Thanks I am aware of that one.

I assume a Royal Caribbean ship will use that booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Geoff and Springaussie,

Here is what I have found:

Solstice leaves Sydney for Singapore on Oct 8 2016. The return cruise departs Singapore on Oct 31 and arrives in Sydney on Nov 14. There are no cruises listed in between these two (dry dock or charter?)

Between Oct 8 and Nov 14, Sydney Ports lists Solstice at Sydney OPT several times, as follows: Oct 18, 21, 22, 24 and 31 and Nov 3 and 12. The Oct 31 is a new (red bolded typeface) entry with a departure time of 2000 hrs, while the others are all 1830 hrs. With so many entries, this looks like placeholders for two ships, not one.

Explorer otS is listed at OPT on Nov 14, not Solstice.

Here is what I have found:

Solstice leaves Sydney for Singapore on Oct 8 2016. The return cruise departs Singapore on Oct 31 and arrives in Sydney on Nov 14. There are no cruises listed in between these two (dry dock or charter?)

Between Oct 8 and Nov 14, Sydney Ports lists Solstice at Sydney OPT several times, as follows: Oct 18, 21, 22, 24 and 31 and Nov 3 and 12. The Oct 31 is a new (red bolded typeface) entry with a departure time of 2000 hrs, while the others are all 1830 hrs. With so many entries, this looks like placeholders for two ships, not one.

Explorer otS is listed at OPT on Nov 14, not Solstice.

Solstice gets a dry dock in Singapore in the gap in October 2016.

The other bookings are a bit unclear for now in Sydney Port 16/17 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Could it also well be that Radiance otS is also scheduled for dry-dock in Singapore?

And that's the reason why she is listed at Singapore without any date?? :confused:

Or do you all really think she will be relocated from Australia to Europe, via Far East (e. g. Singapore)???

Max Radiance is scheduled for a dry dock in 2016 and you could be going to Singapore just for that reason and returning to Sydney.

It is only based on what captains are telling passengers on the Oz fleet.

This will make our guessing more fun.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12043-royal-caribbean-will-retrofit-19-ships-with-scrubbers.html

Royal Caribbean Will Retrofit 19 Ships with Scrubbers

on 22 December 2014.

The Quantum of the Seas launched with scrubbers already installedRoyal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. will retrofit 19 of its ships with advanced emissions purification (AEP) systems, otherwise known as scrubbers.

These systems will remove more than 97% of the sulfur dioxide emissions generated by the ships' diesel engines, according to a statement from the company.

The move will position RCL ahead of all forthcoming International Maritime Organization Emission Control Area emissions standards, and will ensure compliance with existing European Union standards. Additionally, the decision to install AEP systems instead of switching to a fuel with a lower sulfur content will ensure that RCL's ships can be compliant everywhere they sail, as availability of lower-sulfur fuels is limited.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has been involved in development, testing and planning for the use of AEP technology since 2010. Two newly built RCL ships that entered into service this year, Royal Caribbean International's Quantum of the Seas and TUI Cruises' Mein Schiff 3, were among the first cruise ships to be built with AEP systems installed during initial construction.

Royal Caribbean International's Liberty of the Seas has been operating one of its six engines with a retrofitted AEP system for two years. AEP systems "scrub" exhaust gases by injecting high volumes of water spray into the exhaust stream, removing more than 97% of sulfur dioxide emissions.

"AEP technology for maritime vessels is very new, and we expect that by utilizing multiple technological solutions to accommodate the differences among our ships, additional development will ultimately help industrialize AEP technology even more, which will benefit not only RCL but also the larger maritime industry," said Adam Goldstein, President and COO, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

The company faced significant challenges in order to accommodate the AEP systems on its existing ships – some pieces of which can be as large as a school bus, an entire system having an operational weight of several hundred tons of equipment and liquids. "A retrofit project of this size and complexity – and the scale and intricacy of the research, planning, and design required – is unprecedented for our company, and has required a very systematic process and involved the world's leading expertise in this field," said Harri Kulovaara, Executive Vice President, Maritime, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

To ensure the right systems are available for each ship's unique requirements, RCL contracted two different AEP technology suppliers, Swedish company Alfa Laval and Finnish company Wartsila. Additional companies are being hired to execute the installations.

"In addition to the teamwork it takes within our own company to execute a program of this magnitude and make all the necessary process improvements, the collaboration with government agencies has been key," Goldstein said. "Working with our fleets' flag states, the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the United States Coast Guard, and Transport Canada to explore technology development has been critical, and we are eager to continue to work with these agencies to explore whether there are additional environmental benefits to using these systems," said Goldstein.

Beginning in January 2015, installation will take place on 13 Royal Caribbean International ships and six Celebrity Cruises ships, during scheduled dry-dockings and while ships are in service. While preliminary work has begun on several of the ships receiving AEP systems, most will take place between 2015 and 2017. Each installation will take approximately eight months.

AEP systems that scrub sulfur particles from exhaust streams are one of several different emissions reduction tools that RCL employs. Another focus is using less fuel, to further the company's goal of reducing its carbon footprint – a typical measurement of greenhouse gas emissions. To use less fuel, RCL has implemented hundreds of energy-saving initiatives throughout its fleet. Several new approaches were taken in building Quantum of the Seas, including a full-hull air lubrication system that reduces friction between the ship and the water, which can result in up to seven percent energy savings depending on ship speed and itinerary; a keycard-operated master switch for lights and air-conditioning in guest staterooms that reduces unnecessary energy usage; and the use of only LED or fluorescent lights.

Anticipated costs for the AEP program have been estimated and included in RCL's capital expenditure and capacity guidance.

All of this speculation, and I've enjoyed reading it and contributing to it has caused me to go ahead and book my 2016 cruise early. We like to cruise around our anniversary (May 2nd) and in 2016 it will be 35 years so I want to pick a worthy cruise. This year with all the possible changes it has been more difficult than normal.

We booked our Voyager and Freedom cruise 600 days ahead! We enjoyed our Southern Caribbean cruise in 2014 so I initially thought about Adventure out of San Juan on 4/30/16. The itinerary looked good and the prices reasonable. I had planned on waiting to board Freedom next April to actually book it. But about a week after I found it that one and most of Adventure's April 2016 cruises were pulled. At that time the only thing with a verified schedule in the Caribbean for May 16 was Oasis and Allure. I decided to make it Oasis and again planning on Next Crusing it on Freedom next Spring. Now that that cruise could conceivably be Oasis' last in the Caribbean for the foreseeable future, the price could go way up when it becomes announced. So I booked it! At least I know I will be cruising this time period. If it turns out Oasis isn't moving out of the Caribbean or is just moving to Port Canaveral, I can always cancel and re-book.

This will make our guessing more fun.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12043-royal-caribbean-will-retrofit-19-ships-with-scrubbers.html

Royal Caribbean Will Retrofit 19 Ships with Scrubbers.

Wow! This changes everything... so much for assuming only Serenade/Brilliance/Radiance/Jewel will be the only ships doing Baltics and Alaska! Hmmmmmm.

Wow! This changes everything... so much for assuming only Serenade/Brilliance/Radiance/Jewel will be the only ships doing Baltics and Alaska! Hmmmmmm.

This could explain why Brilliance otS might be relocated to Med in 2016.

Maybe one of the Voyager-Class-ships will operate on the Baltic/Norway cruises if they get the scrubbers soon enough...

• 2 weeks later...

Radiance of the Seas appears only going way to Hawaii on the 2016 Hawaii Cruise Ship Schedule visiting 20 April 2016.

Rhapsody of the Seas also appears 2015 ports schedule as visiting Hawaii one way only but is going via Asia to Europe from Australia April 2015.

Radiance of the Seas is also shown on the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal website as a visiting ship on the pop down menu with no dates.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/files/2013/01/oahu-cruise-2016-01-01-15.pdf

Edited by springaussie

Radiance of the Seas appears only going way to Hawaii on the 2016 Hawaii Cruise Ship Schedule visiting 20 April 2016.

Rhapsody of the Seas also appears 2015 ports schedule as visiting Hawaii one way only but is going via Asia to Europe from Australia April 2015.

Radiance of the Seas is also shown on the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal website as a visiting ship on the pop down menu with no dates.

Happy NY springaussie [emoji4]

Would you expect Royal to have already made the HNL port booking for Sep/Oct 2016 if she is coming back to Aus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy NY springaussie [emoji4]

Would you expect Royal to have already made the HNL port booking for Sep/Oct 2016 if she is coming back to Aus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I would have thought they would have been made by now Geoff.

Yes I would have thought they would have been made by now Geoff.

OK, thanks. Given Royal's recent deployment decision making, it may be that they simply have not decided yet. I would expect a placeholder to be there though.

If Radiance doesn't return to Australia for the '16/'17 season then all of Royal's seasonal relocations will presumably run between Australia and Asia rather than Australia and Alaska (I doubt they will switch Radiance for a non Radiance class in Alaska). The Asia relocations appear to sell at lower yield, so there would have to be other reasons.

I can see at least three possibilities:

1. They can't profitably fill all the ships that will be deployed to Asia year round and need to make seasonal relocations to Australia to utilise the capacity profitably,.

2. Completion of Sydney OPT wharf extension and terminal upgrade allowing larger ships to be utilised, increasing the capacity available to sell. Wharf/terminal/channel limitations at other nearby ports may negate a home porting of Quantum or Oasis class down under - not sure. Freedom class workable?

3. They will run a ship year round from Sydney (unlikely imho).

Any thoughts?

OK, thanks. Given Royal's recent deployment decision making, it may be that they simply have not decided yet. I would expect a placeholder to be there though.

If Radiance doesn't return to Australia for the '16/'17 season then all of Royal's seasonal relocations will presumably run between Australia and Asia rather than Australia and Alaska (I doubt they will switch Radiance for a non Radiance class in Alaska). The Asia relocations appear to sell at lower yield, so there would have to be other reasons.

I can see at least three possibilities:

1. They can't profitably fill all the ships that will be deployed to Asia year round and need to make seasonal relocations to Australia to utilise the capacity profitably,.

2. Completion of Sydney OPT wharf extension and terminal upgrade allowing larger ships to be utilised, increasing the capacity available to sell. Wharf/terminal/channel limitations at other nearby ports may negate a home porting of Quantum or Oasis class down under - not sure. Freedom class workable?

3. They will run a ship year round from Sydney (unlikely imho).

Any thoughts?

I think Asia will be where our 100% of our cruise ships will becoming from in the future here in Australia. Too much money in gaming in Asia to keep a ship here all year round.

I believe Royal are not 100% sure of which ships will be deployed in which ports yet.

The Sydney Cruise Schedule seems to read 2 Voyager Class ships and 1 Voyager or bigger from Asia. The early October 2016 port bookings are just an insurance policy for now if they decide to redeploy from Alaska.

Legend of the Seas will do Brisbane if they do not sell or transfer her.

The other wild card is will Royal follow Princess and introduce Australian currency for local cruises with inclusive tipping for 16/17 season.

I think I read that Radiance is due for another dry dock. She could be going up to Sembawang Shipyards in Singapore to have work done...?

Already, she just had one in late 2011 and it was pretty extensive. Although that is olmost 5 years ago by 2016. Time flies.☺

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by DKNYC

I think I read that Radiance is due for another dry dock. She could be going up to Sembawang Shipyards in Singapore to have work done...?

Yes, Radiance was dry docked in June 2011 in Victoria, BC.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4509

If the maximum interval is 5 years, how will this affect her 2016 scheduling? Dry dock in Victoria and a shorter Alaska season or perhaps a visit to Asia and dry dock in SIN?

I think Asia will be where our 100% of our cruise ships will becoming from in the future here in Australia. Too much money in gaming in Asia to keep a ship here all year round.

I believe Royal are not 100% sure of which ships will be deployed in which ports yet.

The Sydney Cruise Schedule seems to read 2 Voyager Class ships and 1 Voyager or bigger from Asia. The early October 2016 port bookings are just an insurance policy for now if they decide to redeploy from Alaska.

Legend of the Seas will do Brisbane if they do not sell or transfer her.

The other wild card is will Royal follow Princess and introduce Australian currency for local cruises with inclusive tipping for 16/17 season.

Bigger ship coming to Sydney I'd say. Another Voyager class would be met with big yawns all 'round. Something other than a Voyager class please Adam. Does anyone have information on the maximum size ship that can enter the usual NZ and Pacific itinerary ports?

OPT is already heavily booked for'16/'17. Royal will obviously hold on to all its port bookings regardless of Radiance' deploy,ent.

I don't think Royal will switch to AUD on board. It creates a forex risk for them and the AUDUSD exchange rate is both falling and volatile (and will probably remain so for some time).

All I ask is that a Royal or X ship start sailing from Charleston!!!

You must get bored with the Carnival itineraries. Maybe it's a good time to ask Royal to send Radiance your way. [emoji6] .

I don't go on Carnival if I can help it! Her Charleston ship doesn't have balconies and I'm a balcony snob!

Send in the Grandeur or Galaxy for all I care! Even the Caribbean Princess would be fine, just send me a ship!!!