No New Ship Builds for Celebrity Brand at least thru 2017.

Bababooey Land

Hmmm....and look at the "X" design above the shops on the windows? Am I the only one seeing this???

haha...oh well, it's fun to speculate!

I for one would not want these larger mega ships as part of X. I'm not interested in bumper cars, rock climbing walls or water slides either.

Shawn

One could have a basic class ship with considerable changes in interior and exterior design. For example, where there are bumper cars on one ship there might be a dance hall on another.

Carnival Corp has used this method considerably. First were the Vista Class ships on Holland America including the Zuiderdam, Noordam, Westerdam and a few other dam ships. The Vista class was then applied to ships on Cunard (Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth) and P&O. I fact, what was supposed to be the Queen Victoria was redirected to become the Arcadia on P&O. Cunard had to wait for another build for the Queen Victoria. The basic Grand class of Princess was also used for P&O.

Edited by emileg

One could have a basic class ship with considerable changes in interior and exterior design. For example, where there are bumper cars on one ship there might be a dance hall on another.

Carnival Corp has used this method considerably. First were the Vista Class ships on Holland America including the Zuiderdam, Noordam, Westerdam and a few other dam ships. The Vista class was then applied to ships on Cunard (Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth) and P&O. I fact, what was supposed to be the Queen Victoria was redirected to become the Arcadia on P&O. Cunard had to wait for another build for the Queen Victoria. The basic Grand class of Princess was also used for P&O.

I agree that things like flowriders, climbing walls, North Star and bumper cars could be dropped from a similar ship if they were not felt appropriate to the brand. So Quantum class might have been origially intended for Celebrity.

However I doubt that building could commence next year unless RCI have already booked spaces with a shipyard, and there has been nothing in the cruising press to indicate this is happening.

So we will just have to wait patiently until an official announcement is made.

Celebrity's M-class and Royal's Radiance class used the same hull platform.

Just returned from a presentation made by Capt. Tasos on Connie. Someone asked about new builds and he said that he knew of no plans at this time. Rich,the CD remarked that to learn about plans "just read Cruise Critic".

As to hearing about upcoming changes from on-board staff, let's not forget a year ago staff were telling us that Bistro on 5 was closing and becoming a Suite Dining room. Instead its menu and offerings have been enhanced.

Also staff was telling passengers Century was relocating to Europe so it could fill the need for smaller ships in those ports, especially with the restriction being placed in Venice. Nope. It's being sold and sailing to Singapore. This rumor even after an announcement was in fact made by a subsidiary and the purchaser about the plans and negotiations of such purchase!

Big occurrences such as ship builds, have to be kept very secret until such time as the company publicly announces such things to their shareholders. They wouldn't be disseminating such information to any staff other than on a "need to know" basis. Certainly not so far down as HR directors or Cruise directors, and highly doubtful even Captains would be included. Such an endeavor would be a material piece of information that regulations would require to be announced via an 8k filing, if not included in a 10K or 10Q prior to any commitments so the shareholders, owners, of the company could determine who they want to react to the plans accordingly with their holdings.

As to hearing about upcoming changes from on-board staff, let's not forget a year ago staff were telling us that Bistro on 5 was closing and becoming a Suite Dining room. Instead its menu and offerings have been enhanced.

Also staff was telling passengers Century was relocating to Europe so it could fill the need for smaller ships in those ports, especially with the restriction being placed in Venice. Nope. It's being sold and sailing to Singapore. This rumor even after an announcement was in fact made by a subsidiary and the purchaser about the plans and negotiations of such purchase!

Big occurrences such as ship builds, have to be kept very secret until such time as the company publicly announces such things to their shareholders. They wouldn't be disseminating such information to any staff other than on a "need to know" basis. Certainly not so far down as HR directors or Cruise directors, and highly doubtful even Captains would be included. Such an endeavor would be a material piece of information that regulations would require to be announced via an 8k filing, if not included in a 10K or 10Q prior to any commitments so the shareholders, owners, of the company could determine who they want to react to the plans accordingly with their holdings.

Just reporting. Now on the rumor side look for a ship between M Class and S Class in size. Saw the new Mein Schiff 3 and it looks about right. Many officers in Connie toured it.

Just reporting. Now on the rumor side look for a ship between M Class and S Class in size. Saw the new Mein Schiff 3 and it looks about right. Many officers in Connie toured it.

Went to Mein Schiff 3 on Wikipedia - nice design to say the least!

Even more interesting was Reference #1 pointing to the Det Norske Veritas listing which indicates "Celebrity Cruises Inc. Celebrity Xpedition for IGTV" is the Manager and Doc Holder.

Sounds like an inside track if this basic design is under consideration :).

MARK

• 2 weeks later...

I would not normally place much credence on rumours heard on board. However, we were told by three different senior people on Eclipse on the same day [10 November] that Celebrity were building two new ships holding 2500 passengers to replace two of the M-class ships. In each case, we had not asked anything about new ships and it seemed as though the people who volunteered the information had just heard the news and were keen to share.

In view of some of the conversations I have had around the new suite benefits, I have to admit that my personal speculation is that these ships may be a similar size to the S-class ships but with more suites.

It remains to be seen if rumour and/or speculation are correct!

I would not normally place much credence on rumours heard on board. However, we were told by three different senior people on Eclipse on the same day [10 November] that Celebrity were building two new ships holding 2500 passengers to replace two of the M-class ships. In each case, we had not asked anything about new ships and it seemed as though the people who volunteered the information had just heard the news and were keen to share.

In view of some of the conversations I have had around the new suite benefits, I have to admit that my personal speculation is that these ships may be a similar size to the S-class ships but with more suites.

That would be a welcome addition, probably as you speculate focusing on the " higher " end of the cruise spectrum to compete with Viking, Oceania etc.

This makes sense given that it will coincide with the opening of the new Panama Canal, which will be able to handle ships larger than the Millineum class ships.

Saw her in Tenerife and thought it would be a food fit for Celebrity in both size and design.

I like the idea of two new modern ships but I would prefer that Celebrity keep all of their existing ships. That way they could add new destinations and ports (like a ship sailing out of Florida year round). The more ships a line has the more different places they can go. Just look at the diversity that Holland America has.

During our January 4, 2014 cruise on Reflection our cruise director answered a question from the audience about Celebrity's plans for new ships by stating Celebrity has no plans to add to it's fleet for several years. They just finished an aggressive build-out of the S Class ships and will spend the next few years building up a more professional crew, better cruising destinations, and new shows and on-board entertainment options for each of the existing ships.

That sounds good to me!