Is their a noticeable difference between RC and Carnival?

b8nkr

Hi everyone. We have been on several Carnival cruises and are going on our first RC cruise in May. I have heard that RC is so much better than Carnival. Can you please elaborate on differences? Thanks!

Hi everyone. We have been on several Carnival cruises and are going on our first RC cruise in May. I have heard that RC is so much better than Carnival. Can you please elaborate on differences? Thanks!

While I have certainly enjoyed my Carnival cruises I have very much enjoyed my Royal cruises!

They are both great lines but to me our Royal cruises just feel a bit classier.

I will continue to sail both lines but if the price was about the same I would choose Royal.

You are going to hear a lot of opinions on this one... You will want t judge for yourself though. I stayed away from Carnival and never considered it at all... Sailed Magic a couple years ago and had a great time... There were differences... But both were fun.... You get what you pay for... So don't let anyone sway your opinion day comparing a 3 day party boat cruise to a week long oasis do these as cruise.... They just won't compare...

It's subjective. For me, yes there is a noticeable difference. Mostly in the ship. I think RCCL ships are a bit less "glitzy" and a bit more luxurious. As for service, the same great level. Food, I like both. Haven't been on Carnival for since 2007 but I liked the meat dishes on Carnival better. Also the pizza. I still like Royal better. And I do notice the difference. You may not.

Carnival is not "so much better", in my opinion. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. They are both mass-market cruise lines. They are generally more alike than different. In my opinion.

I think the only similarities they have are that they are both mass market lines and they both have floating ships. I've never understood that arguement. It wasn't my experience whatsoever.

We've sailed 5 times on Carnival...6 times on RCCL...1 time on NCL...1 time on Princess....1 time on HAL and 1 time on the old Majesty cruise line from Boston to Bermuda.

We've enjoyed all of them and all for different reasons. We found that we preferred Carnival when our children were young because there seemed to be more to keep them happy.

Now that we cruise mostly alone without kids we tend to book RCCL only because we find the crowd (fellow passengers) to be more our age (upper 40's pushing 50's) and less children. Nothing against children...just find it more relaxing on a ship with less of them.

Our favorite...if we had to choose was HAL...the service and atmosphere was top notch.

Food was about the same on every line we've sailed except for Princess...it was the only cruise that I actually had to send a couple of meals back in the MDR.

So I wouldn't say RCCL is so much "better" than Carnival...but it is different and in some ways I guess different makes it better, at least for us.

Edited by styles27

I think the only similarities they have are that they are both mass market lines and they both have floating ships. I've never understood that arguement. It wasn't my experience whatsoever.

If you don't understand that argument, that's fine. I stated my opinion, you stated yours. Not sure why you felt it necessary to question mine.:(

Edited by time4u2go

OP, you might want to post your question on the Carnival board too, as I'm sure there are also people there that have cruised both lines that could provide opinions.l

That's a good idea. I just posted it here since we are going a RC cruise. I'm not trying to start an argument so please everyone don't take it like that.

i've sailed both. ccl 3 times and rcl 2 times with a third coming up. i like ccl better, but for reasons that are hard to explain. ok let me start by saying rcl win the "my boats bigger than yours" contest hands down. they also win the in entertainment. the reasons i like ccl better are mainly the food(vastly better mdr food) and cost of the cruise itself. i also found the crews on ccl to be a little more attentive and personable but only by a bit. i will continue to sail both lines and i'm a hard person to make unhappy on a cruise. even a bad cruise is better than being at work.

i've sailed both. ccl 3 times and rcl 2 times with a third coming up. i like ccl better, but for reasons that are hard to explain. ok let me start by saying rcl win the "my boats bigger than yours" contest hands down. they also win the in entertainment. the reasons i like ccl better are mainly the food(vastly better mdr food) and cost of the cruise itself. i also found the crews on ccl to be a little more attentive and personable but only by a bit. i will continue to sail both lines and i'm a hard person to make unhappy on a cruise. even a bad cruise is better than being at work.

Lol! This is true!

I agree with what many posters have stated. The ships on Royal handle the crowds much better than Carnival. I think the MDR is a tad better food quality than RCL. The buffets are just that Buffets, Golden Coral on steroids at sea, very hit and miss. Entertainment no doubt about it, Royal is far superior no comparison. Cabins I think Carnivals are a bit bigger nothing that you really would notice. If you like live music Royal has a ton more while you listen to a DJ on Carnival, but that may be changing as I hear of some exciting changes is on hand for Carnival. Whatever you pick your on a cruise and you'll have a blast. But The Royal cruising experience is best suited for us.

We have cruised both lines many times. In the past few year mainly 3 day cruises out of Port Canaveral so I will only compare those. I will say that Royal is priced higher but the ship has more amenities but the drinks are larger an they still give out free drinks during Captains night. On Carnival we were noticing our bar tab was twice as much and we are not big drinkers. I do wish that Royal had a comedy show like Carnival as that is always a highlight on our trips. I think each person has their own preference to is for a weekend trip Royal wins hands down for us. For a week trip I would go with the best ports not brand. 6 years ago we swore off Royal but they won us back with great service

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have sailed both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I am now building up points on RC for a while. I do not dislike Carnival at all and have had great cruises. It all depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. Food is good on both, desserts better on Carnival. Shows generally better on Royal. I think the service is better on Royal. There are people who are fiercely loyal to one line or the other and you will get many opinions. You just have to try them both and judge for yourself.

OP what ship are you sailing?

I have sailed both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I am now building up points on RC for a while. I do not dislike Carnival at all and have had great cruises. It all depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. Food is good on both, desserts better on Carnival. Shows generally better on Royal. I think the service is better on Royal. There are people who are fiercely loyal to one line or the other and you will get many opinions. You just have to try them both and judge for yourself.

OP what ship are you sailing?

Thanks for the comment! We are going on the Navigator 5/25 out of Galveston. We can hardly wait! We've been on Carnival Dream, Freedom and Triumph. We were kind of getting bored almost as it seemed to be getting repetitive. So, we saw a great deal on this cruise and have always wanted to try RCL but were just always a lot more money.

Thanks for the comment! We are going on the Navigator 5/25 out of Galveston. ….

That is the one I want to go on,

but missed the sale, so am waiting on the price to drop a bit.

Have you been on the roll call for it

I am not sure it is an active one, over a thousand posts.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Bigtex1622

This surely can not be a serious question. In the event it is. Royal Caribbean can not be used in the same sentence as Carny. New ship versus New ship--- Carnival Breeze versus Allure of the Seas. It is not even close. Royal Caribbean is vastly superior. It's like comparing a single orange to an orange grove. K mart versus Saks 5th Avenue. Mercedes versus Hyundai. As for the older ships... who really cares, except for the fact a Voyager class versus its counterpart one of the (shuns) is virtually the same contest as above.

If you are going on Majesty or one of the Visions.....eh.....you get what you pay for. Possibly the newest Carnival could compete with the oldest RCCL (Majesty) but it would be a draw in my opinion. Next question.....

The Entertainment is better on Royal.

They have live bands by the pool, Carnival has taped, loud music.

Royal has production shows, Carnival uses the passengers.

If your Royal ship has an Ice Rink, go see the shows.

They are not to be missed. ;)

As far as food, both are about the same,

except I did miss my cold fruit soups in the MDR.

Carnival did not have them.

But Carnival did have a chocolate bar one day, in the buffet.

Royal got rid of their chocolate buffet.:mad:

Edited by Bigtex1622

This surely can not be a serious question. In the event it is. Royal Caribbean can not be used in the same sentence as Carny. New ship versus New ship--- Carnival Breeze versus Allure of the Seas. It is not even close. Royal Caribbean is vastly superior. It's like comparing a single orange to an orange grove. K mart versus Saks 5th Avenue. Mercedes versus Hyundai. As for the older ships... who really cares, except for the fact a Voyager class versus its counterpart one of the (shuns) is virtually the same contest as above.

If you are going on Majesty or one of the Visions.....eh.....you get what you pay for. Possibly the newest Carnival could compete with the oldest RCCL (Majesty) but it would be a draw in my opinion. Next question.....

Lol!!!

That is the one I want to go on,

but missed the sale, so am waiting on the price to drop a bit.

Have you been on the roll call for it

I am not sure it is an active one, over a thousand posts.

I haven't signed up for the roll call yet. I actually was one who alerted everyone of the sale on 12/31...we snagged a js for 2 adults and 2 children including tips and taxes for 2700...not too shabby!