Cruise PAX ill - just off Connie, what I saw

true45

While on Constellation, saw the news about other ship having many ill passengers, today heard also another cruiseline illness on Princess.

While onboard, first thing I saw at Buffet is a passenger on line in front of me picking at her food with her fingers and bringing it to her mouth. I eased around her so as not to touch the same tongs. The other day at the Brunch in MD, passengers licking their fingers while eating (and going back up to the buffet for more food) touching the tongs other people are touching.

A passenger in MDR sneezed without covering their mouth and DH got a spray on his hand and arm.

DH saw passengers not washing hands after using restroom

On another cruise, a passenger blew his nose into his napkin which the waiter picked off to clear the table.

Cigar smoking on balcony (seen by DH)

We did our best to avoid the buffet and did use sanitizer but with passengers who have these habits, illness is bound to happen. None on Constellation as I know it, but did have it on Equinox. Do these passengers know that their habits contribute to their getting sick and /or passing germs around? I don't know what the cruiselines can do to prevent this except maybe require a video presentation about disease prevention. It is too easy to blame the cruiseline.

All those behaviours are disturbing! I think the cruise lines try very hard to keep the ship clean and protect us from illness, but they have a hard time because of the stupid irresponsible behaviour of some people.

I have also personally witnessed women come out of a toilet stall and leave without washing their hands. I was horrified. I am a non-confrontational type person and I didn't say anything to her. Afterwards I regretted that. I hope if I ever witness that again, I will be brave enough to say something.

In my husands office they used to occassionally share a bowl of popcorn until the day that one woman saw another woman not wash her hands after using the toilet. No more communal food in that office!

Noro is not an airborne virus it is a contact virus, you must touch something to get it. Hand sanitizers do nothing to kill a virus, they are a false sense of security because people don't wash their hands with soap and water thinking they'll use these sanitizers instead. Also urine is sterile but it's icky not to wash your hands after visiting the toilet but urine doesn't spread diseases it's the other business that does.

Noro is not an airborne virus it is a contact virus, you must touch something to get it. Hand sanitizers do nothing to kill a virus, they are a false sense of security because people don't wash their hands with soap and water thinking they'll use these sanitizers instead. Also urine is sterile but it's icky not to wash your hands after visiting the toilet but urine doesn't spread diseases it's the other business that does.

I couldn't agree more on this - Cruise Line push Sanitizer so much it gives passengers this false sense of security.

Santizer does NOT kill Noro virus - only Soap and Water is effective, but becuase they keep pushing sanitizer, people think washing is optional.

Why does everyone say hand sanitizer does not kill noro?? Of course PROPER hand washing is still the best, but the CDC also recommends using hand sanitizer. Maybe it has limited benefit but the experts do recommend using it in addition to handwashing. I would hate for people to breeze through the buffet thinking there is no benefit to hand sanitizer. Additionally, you can't fix stupid......unfortunately we are always going to struggle with people who don't wash their hands, lick their fingers, etc. Healthy sailing, everyone! :-)

All those behaviours are disturbing! I think the cruise lines try very hard to keep the ship clean and protect us from illness, but they have a hard time because of the stupid irresponsible behaviour of some people.

I have also personally witnessed women come out of a toilet stall and leave without washing their hands. I was horrified. I am a non-confrontational type person and I didn't say anything to her. Afterwards I regretted that. I hope if I ever witness that again, I will be brave enough to say something.

In my husands office they used to occassionally share a bowl of popcorn until the day that one woman saw another woman not wash her hands after using the toilet. No more communal food in that office!

I have no problem saying "OMG, that lady didn't wash her hands, that is disgusting" when I see someone leaving the restroom without washing. Same thing on the buffet, I'll say "There are tongs to use, did you know that now, because you touched and contaminated the food, they have to throw it all away". I'll also say "cover your mouth" when some one sneezes or coughs. I've gotten some strange looks from the offenders, but I could care less.

One time at my local grocery store, a man took bagles with his hands and then had the nerve to put some back. I called for the bakery person and in front of the man told him what happened. And the offender, went back and grab two bagles and said "these were the ones I touched". The bakery person told him that because he touched the food with his hands he would have to throw them all away. The man didn't even apologize or offer to purchase all the bagles that were going to be thrown away. Obviously, I never buy anything that is open to peoples hands.

I've also started bring wipes with me and use them before I touch my silverware and eat, if I go to a buffet.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Why does everyone say hand sanitizer does not kill noro?? Of course PROPER hand washing is still the best, but the CDC also recommends using hand sanitizer. Maybe it has limited benefit but the experts do recommend using it in addition to handwashing. I would hate for people to breeze through the buffet thinking there is no benefit to hand sanitizer. Additionally, you can't fix stupid......unfortunately we are always going to struggle with people who don't wash their hands, lick their fingers, etc. Healthy sailing, everyone! :-)

I agree with you. I wash my hands carefully and often. I also use the sanitizers. Even with proper use, the benefit of the sanitizers may be questionable, but sometimes, crew (or less often a dispenser) will give such tiny squirts of sanitizers that is highly unlikely to be effective. for example, a squirt so small it will not even spread over entire hands and so small it dries instantly. Sanitizers need wet contact time to work. maybe the crew does not wish to refill their bottle so often or maybe some people object if their hands actually get wet? the dispensers that give too little are probably low or partially clogged

One thing my DH and I make a point of doing in the buffet, is to grab a clean napkin upon entering the line and use that to hold the tongs to select our food choices. When finished selecting our food we discard the napkin in the trash.

Did hear a report on our local news recently that stated sanitizers that are commonly used are not strong enough to kill Noro, but instead just move the virus around your hands as you rub. Best deterrent is good old soap and water scrub and then use the hand towel to open the bathroom door as you leave, depositing the towel in the waste bin usually located right beside the door.

Also urine is sterile but it's icky not to wash your hands after visiting the toilet but urine doesn't spread diseases it's the other business that does.

Urine is sterile INSIDE the bladder. Once it passes into the urethra it is NOT sterile. Not at all. It picks up bacteria, skin cells and all kinds of things as you eliminate it. "Urine is sterile" is the excuse people use for not washing their hands after using the restroom or for peeing in a pool or hot tub.

Stop and consider that while an individual person may believe what they personally did in the bathroom was "clean" you have to touch the handles, fixtures, dispensers and anything else that someone else with unclean hands touched and left their germs on.

I think that people who don't believe using hand sanitizers is important because they don't kill noro virus are missing the bigger picture. There are lots of other pathogens that can cause illness that are killed by the sanitizers. So yes, soap and water hand washing is probably the best defense, but why not use the sanitizers too? Think of it as extra insurance.

I like this idea of a video, especially if it used some soft of glowlight to show all the places with germs, people touching them, and then carrying them to new surfaces including their mouths.

It's like someone above said - the person who goes to the bathroom, thinks they are clean, and doesn't wash. Show the place they touched that may have been dirtied by someone else (how about the button to flush the toilet), and then later how they put their hand to their mouth with food...anything that grosses people out and makes them realize wash with soap and water and do it often!

I don't know what the cruiselines can do to prevent this except maybe require a video presentation about disease prevention. It is too easy to blame the cruiseline.

show a video at the muster drill, that way everyone has to watch

Sorry, but I just don't think that there's anyone who doesn't KNOW that they should wash your hand after going to the bathroom or that they shouldn't pick up communal tongs after sneezing into their hands, etc., etc. etc.. There are those people who know but just don't give a damn and there are others who know but at a particular point in time just don't think, for whatever reason.

I think that people who don't believe using hand sanitizers is important because they don't kill noro virus are missing the bigger picture. There are lots of other pathogens that can cause illness that are killed by the sanitizers. So yes, soap and water hand washing is probably the best defense, but why not use the sanitizers too? Think of it as extra insurance.

I agree that it's important to use the hand sanitizer. I also agree that the cruise lines have caused an unintended consequence -- and have probably done themselves and their passengers a disservice -- by creating an over-reliance on the sanitizer and giving a subconscious 'pass' to certain people not to wash their hands (despite warning them otherwise).

The video would have to be attention-getting -- it was the only thing I could think of.

I don't think people realize that besides spreading their germs when they touch things that this is the way they get sick and it is in their best interest.

On many cruises we've on there are always kids running wild in the buffet without parental help. You see them touching all different types of food and who knows about when and if they've washed their hands. Parents think there is no way their kids can get into trouble on a cruise, unless they fall overboard, food illness is serious.

J.

Hand sprays do NOT work against Noro! Nor against CDIFF or other such nasties.

Soap and water doesnt 'kill' the bugs either what soap and water does is to rinse the bugs off your hands and let them fall through the plug hole.

However even if someone does wash their hands, unless they do it properly that also will be useless. The amount of germs that lurk under false nails and stoned rings would make your skin crawl if you saw them. Also if after washing your hands you popped them under ultraviolet light you would be shocked to see the areas you have missed.

All we can do realistically is to expect that people are fair and reasonable and considerate to others. So wash your hands regularly, use the hand sanitizer and don't be gross in shared areas and think everyone else enjoys your germs because we don't!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

From the CDC:

What about alcohol-based hand sanitizers?

CDC recommends that cruise ship passengers use warm water and soap to wash their hands. Washing is always best.

If water and soap are NOT available (perhaps on excursions), use an ethanol alcohol-based hand sanitizer, preferably in a gel form. The sanitizer should be at least 60% ethanol.

While not as effective as proper hand washing, the use of a sanitizer is recommended by the CDC.

From the time you've washed your hands in your cabin immediately before a meal till the time you reach your dining room of choice, the average passenger will have touched walls, hand rails, elevator buttons, etc. numerous times. That little squirt of sanitizer entering the dining room might be just the thing to prevent infection.