Possible new dining option for suite guests

Bababooey Land

Is this rally "a class " system move or a move away from the traditional MDR way of dining? I think things like this are signs of a demographic shift in cruise lines. It wasn't too long ago where specialty restaurants where unheard of. Now look at all the specialty restaurants on the new ships. As for us, we went with AQ this summer not because we wanted to be "snooty snobs", far from it. I'm a redneck Sooner who now lives in NoVA and I want to have a relaxing vacation free from a lot of crowds and youngsters. The wife and I want a smaller quieter dining experience where we can relax and not have to play "Formal night" roulette. But different strokes for different folks and that's heat the cruise lines are banking on. My bet is this is the first of many dining changes and it won't be long before the MDR becomes something completely different than 10 years ago.

Sounds like they are gradually returning to the old "class system" of cruising. Maybe soon the inside stateroom passengers will be eating leftovers and cold soup.

Celebrity is our line of choice for various reasons. As for the old class system, in my opinion,it is there now. Start with the Captains Club perks, the more you spend the more you get. Aqua CLASS, has it's own restaurant and spa perks. Inside cabins don't qualify for 123 Go promo. Suite guests have their butlers.Then there are the specialty restaurants for those who want to support them. And the list goes on. So, yes the class system is alive and well.

I don't consider it a "class system". I think of it as "you get what you pay for". As with most things in life.

If people are willing to pay top dollar for a special cabin/dining room/service etc, the cruise lines would be foolish to not take advantage of that.

I received the survey last night and was not impressed with many of the options. I am of the opinion that this designated dining area will be only for higher end suites-penthouse, royal suite, maybe celebrity suite and zeniths. Why do I think way? Look at the recent changes in the Captain's Club point system that separated points by accommodations. Even prior to the changes the higher end suites had a few added amenities. Even the addition of special VIP Lounge (Micheal's Club) present the separation by accommodation or CC status.

For those saying the dining venue for just the higher end suites is not practical because there are so few higher end suites on the ship. Look at the areas that have been suggested on this thread, Blu and Bistro on 5, which are small intimate areas. After reading the survey one can get a sense this will be a limited, exclusive area. The Bistro and Blu, by design would be perfect for only the higher end suites and zeniths.

Maybe this world has passed me by with so much perceived need for entitlement and status. What I always thought one the most important parts of cruising was to see new lands, learning about different cultures, interacting with different people, and learning new ideas. Since we spend 50 to 51 weeks a year within our same circle of friends and social economic sphere, our comfort zone.

All my cruises on Celebrity have been in suites. However, personally I do not like this direction by Celebrity.

You will never be forgotten: PFC Wesley George Thurston Cco 2/12 Inf BN 2 PLT. 25 Inf Div, KIA 5 February 68, Binh Duong Province, The Viet Nam Memorial "The Wall" Panel 37E Line 46.

I haven't seen it suggested on here but what about opening Murano for breakfast and lunch for suite passengers and allowing gratis specialty restaurant dining for dinner.
The atmosphere in Murano is much nicer than Bistro on 5 (which seems too open for a "special suite" experience to me).

As to space need for a suites only venue, BLU accommodates 150 Aqua cabins and 52 Aqua Suites on reflection, total of 202 cabins.

Suites on reflection total 27 for CS/RS/PS/SG/RF plus 32 more Sky suites, total of 60 cabins (plus the 53 Aqua Suites unique to Reflection, who also get BLU access already)

So theoretically, the suites dining room can be 1/4 size of BLU. Perhaps just enlarge BLU and call it a day rather than create a separate new space. I hate the idea of taking offer Bistro, just would kind of bee an odd place I think for a dining space amongst the entertainment venues.

I can't imagine restricting access to only CS and above, for 27 cabins, not really a wise investment. I'd say it's silly for 60 cabins really.

I would imagine if suites get special dining venue, it may be the beginning of the end of Butler service in suites as the trade-off. I'd prefer to keep the butler iof it were the tradeoff.

[SIZE="3"]I've cruised in suites on RCI, HAL, and Carnival. I hope this doesn't come across as elitist, but in my opinion, suites without perks (Carnival) aren't worth the extra money. They're just a bigger cabin. The things that make a suite "sweet" are the perks that come with the significantly higher fare.

The perk I LOVE on RCI and HAL is the option to eat breakfast (and lunch on Royal) in a specialty restaurant as a suite passenger. That alone is worth the price of admission to me. I hate the buffet and love the smaller, more intimate setting and waiter service. That's the main reason I chose AQ for our first Celebrity cruise...I like the idea of BLU, and really don't care that much about square footage, especially on a port-intensive itinerary.

[/SIZE]

I can't/ or don't want to spend the money for a suite. It is a choice that I make and don't expect the perks of them either for the price that I pay for a lower category.

For the price they pay the ultimate dining package should be included and that allows them to dine wherever they desire. The rest can pay the $29/day/person

Recently I have seen other lines incorporating special decks and areas for special categories. NCL and MSC have them.

I don't have a problem if if keeps the prices lower and gives me the freedom to choose to pay for the perks that I want, but I do not like paying for something that is just a lot of verbage fluff.

🌅🌴🍸🍻

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]If Celebrity wishes to offer an additional, exclusive dining option for suites guests, so be it. However, they should do so without taking away existing dining options from non-suite guests.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I love Bistro on Five and would hate to see it go as we dine there multiple times during each cruise.

As others have stated why not just make all of the speciality restaurants complimentary for suite passengers then no one looses out.

If suite passengers have their own restaurant then who will sit at the Captains table-or will the Captain abandon us all in the MDR:D

[quote name='bgrieve']Sounds like they are gradually returning to the old "class system" of cruising. Maybe soon the inside stateroom passengers will be eating leftovers and cold soup.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]You'll only get food after working down in the depths of the ship - shoveling coal. :D:p

This is all much ado about nothing, do you really pay any attention as to what dining room others are heading to? I've never noticed. I've never dined in Blu - might give it a try on my next cruise but I don't notice who is Aqua or Suite or inside cabin or penthouse. Who cares?

I think having a special venue for the suites would be a welcome addition to the others perks.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Jane2357'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]You'll only get food after working down in the depths of the ship - shoveling coal. :D:p

This is all much ado about nothing, do you really pay any attention as to what dining room others are heading to? I've never noticed. I've never dined in Blu - might give it a try on my next cruise but I don't notice who is Aqua or Suite or inside cabin or penthouse. Who cares?

I think having a special venue for the suites would be a welcome addition to the others perks.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well said.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

[quote name='Jane2357'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
This is all much ado about nothing, do you really pay any attention as to what dining room others are heading to? I've never noticed. I've never dined in Blu - might give it a try on my next cruise but I don't notice who is Aqua or Suite or inside cabin or penthouse. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Agree. I see so many posts where people say 'over half were suite guests in blu that night' How the heck does anyone know unless you are snooping over my shoulder as I pull my card out of my pocket to pay? There aren't town cryers announcing each persons entry to BLU that I recall.

And back to my calculation, 60 suites/202 Aqua So it's hard to believe half of BLU could ever be suites considering its made for 4 times as many standard BLU guests. Perhaps the 50 Aqua Suites may confuse some...wonder what keycard they get anyway, Light Blue Aqua or Silver Suite?

I've eaten at BLU 2 times, and just not used 5 of my complimentary specialty dining meals, in 30 nights staying in a suite so I really don't have a dog in the fight....I enjoy the buffet for casual meals, and MDR for conversation and meeting folks on most nights, but do enjoy an OCCASIONAL quieter dinner outside MDR.

[quote name='chamima']I haven't seen it suggested on here but what about opening Murano for breakfast and lunch for suite passengers and allowing gratis specialty restaurant dining for dinner.
The atmosphere in Murano is much nicer than Bistro on 5 (which seems too open for a "special suite" experience to me).[/QUOTE]

I suggested that in post #56 :D great minds!

Aqua Suite passengers receive a blue seapass card just as if you were staying in a category A1 or A2 stateroom...

That was fine by me as I didn't want my status announced widely every time I had to pull out the seapass card to pay for something.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

I think expanding Blu a bit or the unlimited specialty restaurants for suite guests is the perfect solution. Also maybe open Blu for lunch too - maybe suite guests only for lunch? Or Murano for breakfast and lunch as others have suggested.

I just don't want to see what is a great lunch/ breakfast option removed (Bistro on 5). We don't use it for dinner, but Bistro is perfect for the first day lunch and late lunch when coming in from a morning in port. The fact that it has continuous hours all day (compare to MDR lunch -not even offered on port days and buffet lunch) makes it perfect for this. Plus it is really good! :D

We are booked in AQ next cruise and had a standard veranda on the last one, but for the right price/ itinerary/ perks a suite might be in our future one day. But not every cruise. Celebrity needs to ADD for suite guests if it wants to give them more perks, while still not SUBTRACTING things from other guests' experiences. Then, everyone wins! Edited by shoelover536

We just got off of Reflection, where Bistro on 5 was definitely underused. We went once on our Equinox cruise a few years back, and it was fairly empty then, too. We enjoyed the food, but after being on Reflection, where you also have The Porch as an option for lunch, I think that Bistro is unnecessary. I suggested in my dining review that Celebrity should shift the panini from The Porch back to Bistro and do something else entirely in the Porch space, like a pizzeria. However, converting Bistro to a suites-only dining room and adding the Bistro menu to The Porch would work too. I would assume that X will be adding The Porch, if not Lawn Club, to Solstice/Equinox/Eclipse in the future.

I'm not sure I'm in love with the idea of a suites-only dining room, though; as others have mentioned, it definitely makes the MDR look a bit more like steerage. Blu works for Aqua Class because they market it as a "healthier" option that goes along with the spa theme of AQ, but for suites, what are they going to do? Market it as rich food for rich people?

I think a good solution would be to transform the Bistro space into another specialty restaurant and have it available to suite guests only for breakfast and lunch. At dinner, it could be part of the general specialty line-up. Suite guests could receive the Ultimate Specialty Dining package as part of their cruise fare, giving them the option to eat anywhere they liked in the evening, free of upcharge. You could even give them priority reservations so that they were guaranteed their choice of restaurants.

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]This seems to be the beginning of the long and slippery slope. If Celebrity isn't 'classed' yet, it is certainly giving every appearance of heading that way and if this proves out, this will be our first and probably last Celebrity cruise.

FWIW, I do not wish to take from suite guests but to be told right up front that you cannot dine in certain places, well it does leave a bad taste.

We have, by choice, avoided Cunard for this very reason. I really do not wish to add Celebrity to that list. :(:(:(
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]

[quote name='Jane2357'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]You'll only get food after working down in the depths of the ship - shoveling coal. :D:p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]This is all much ado about nothing, do you really pay any attention as to what dining room others are heading to? I've never noticed. I've never dined in Blu - might give it a try on my next cruise but I don't notice who is Aqua or Suite or inside cabin or penthouse. Who cares? [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]I think having a special venue for the suites would be a welcome addition to the others perks.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]
Ditto! Jane is correct. Stop with class discrimination. That is not what this is. We saved for awhile to go on our upcoming cruise. We wanted to sail with all the bells and whistles. That is our choice, as it should be. Has noting to do with elitism. For all the perks Celebrity will add to suites, they will be paid handsomely by suite quests. Please don't tell me that you all don't break off from fast food, to eat in an upscale restaurant once in awhile. Same thing! Bet ya if Celebrity charged a fee for the Suite restaurant or Blu..Most of you would prefer to spend the money elsewhere as the food in the MDR is included in your fare.

Alsmez- Part of the problem of adding the Bistro menu to the Porch is that there are only 2 ships out of the entire X fleet that even has a Porch space. You cannot assume that the Porch will be added to all these other ships, particularly the M ships with less deck space.
Considering that there are a larger amount of non suite guests, taking away a great option for all passengers is really a disadvantage to most and a retreat of options for them.
I don't think we'd ever want to go in a suite, but love the Bistro and hope it is not taken away from us. It just seems like X is trying to "classify" their ships, not in a classy way. Edited by TN Vol Fan
additional reason

That's true, TN - I hadn't considered the M-class ships. I do think that eventually X will add a Porch or something similar to the other S-class ships, but perhaps the M-class ones don't have room. M-class ships have less dining options than S-class, too, so the loss of Bistro on those ships would probably be more deeply felt.

Having been in a few suites and booked in a Celebrity Suite for our next X cruise I would be happy with enhanced dining facilities providing it is not an excuse to simply charge more to book one. Not sure what would happen if, for example, M&D are in a suite, with kids and or friends slumming it in 3rd class? Would they be allowed to dine with the suite owners - or would it be a case of those in the suite must go with the masses to the MDR to avoid leaving their children or colleagues to eat alone?:(