A New Generation of Celebrity Ships

kelmac

Looking ahead to the future, what would you like to see in Celebrity's next generation of cruise ships?

Here is my list:

--High Tech air/bubble hull design to allow fuel economy + 30+ knot speeds

--LHG (liquid natural Gas) engines (very low emissions)

--135,000 ton ships w/3,100 passengers

--wrap around promenade deck similar to the Queen Mary 2

--wider ships with open atriums similar to RCI designs

--commitment to upscale cuisine and 10+ alternative restaurants

--complete change in strategy concerning onboard entertainment (comedy club, first run movie theater…,)

What are your thoughts?

Kel:)

Looking ahead to the future, what would you like to see in Celebrity's next generation of cruise ships?

Here is my list:

--complete change in strategy concerning onboard entertainment (comedy club, first run movie theater…,)

What are your thoughts?

Truthfully, none of the above.

OP---3100 passengers are too many

I don't want to copy RCI ships---if I want their design, I'll cruise on them

I'll take the wrap around promenade

Ten specialty restaurants are far too many

I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of design and fuel. No biggie for me.

I want smaller ships that can get into ports that the behemoths cannot.

Anything under 2400 passengers is fine. Under 2000 is better.

Edited by kitty9

OP---3100 passengers are too many

Solstice Class ships have 2,850 passengers (two per cabin)

I don't want to copy RCI ships---if I want their design, I'll cruise on them

Not a copy of RCI ships, but some of their design elements

I'll take the wrap around promenade

Ten specialty restaurants are far too many

Solstice Class ships have 7

I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of design and fuel. No biggie for me.

http://www.pacmar.com/story/2013/05/01/features/propulsion-is-lng-the-future/152.html

http://www.gizmag.com/air-support-hull-vessel/21697/

The Century is the only ship in Celebrity's fleet that meets these demands and it's been sold to a European company.

Thinking of something in the future?

I am quite happy to leave it to Celebrity's new ship design team. If their next generation of ships can improve on the Solstice design to the same degree that Solstice improved on the Millenium class, then I will be highly delighted to continue cruising on Celebrity.

I still haven't sailed on my first cruise on celebrity yet so my thoughts maybe a bit premature. Having said that I definitely miss the in obstructed promenade deck that goes with the old chips. On my previous RCCL cruise I enjoyed strolling around the promenade on the middle deck of the ship.

I'm also intrigued by the new NCL ships featuring a outdoor oceanfront open air restaurants. It would be great to see that done on a cruise ship geared towards older clientele. This of course includes having more open air bar spaces to sit and have a nice cold beer.

One thing I'm still uncertain of is how I feel about the MDR. I think I'm leaning more towards becoming a fan of various dining options away from the noise and hustle and bustle and the formal night fiascos of the MDR.

op---3100 passengers are too many

i don't want to copy rci ships---if i want their design, i'll cruise on them

i'll take the wrap around promenade

ten specialty restaurants are far too many

i have no idea what you're talking about in terms of design and fuel. No biggie for me.

+ 1

I am quite happy to leave it to Celebrity's new ship design team. If their next generation of ships can improve on the Solstice design to the same degree that Solstice improved on the Millenium class, then I will be highly delighted to continue cruising on Celebrity.

Whether or not the S Class ships are an improvement on the M Class is very much a matter of opinion.

We don't like the S Class and avoid them as much as is possible.

The Solstice class was a step down for Celebrity and resulted in a more mass marketed ship that seems much more like RCL ships. The one improvement they did make that was great was the larger cabins. The Atrium is now a Zoo area with loud music blaring at all hours of the day. It self defeats the other areas above the Atrium that bear the brunt of the noise that emanates from below. Why have a library or relaxation area if all you hear is the booming of the music below.My recommendations:

Smaller ships perhaps 100,000 holding about 2200 passengers at most.

Get rid of the Atrium and go back to the open space that existed for the Millenium class

A large entertainment room for dancing and live music with a real dance floor.

An observation room that can be utilized for special events (50s,60s or 70s nights)

A wrap around promenade that can really be utilized and one that is not blocked by lifeboats.

The ships are getting too modern and most of the sitting areas other than the theater are really uncomfortable.

The interior of the ship should harken back to another period like the golden age of the Ocean liners that sailed in the 1930s thru 50s-We should see more wood and brass.

Get rid of the modern art and give us some paintings that we can really admire.

I would pay more if all of this were possible and Celebrity instead of being the best? of a poor bunch in the mega class started setting herself apart.

These new liners would be in a class all their own-not at the level of a Crystal which is the class of mid size ships (50-75 tons) but a truly premium line that will turn heads with a bit of luxury here and there.

It would be a gamble but I think it would pay off. Those that want a party type ship with a mall in the middle would be directed to RCl. These new ships would command a higher price (10-20% more than at present) but it would be worth it and many I believe would sail.

OP, I am in the minority here but I want smaller ships, not larger. Hate those huge behemoths - my ideal is 1800 passengers or less, don't care about 12 restaurants. Like I said I know I'm not the norm - to me the joy of cruising is all about being on the sea.

Sue

The Solstice class was a step down for Celebrity and resulted in a more mass marketed ship that seems much more like RCL ships. The one improvement they did make that was great was the larger cabins. The Atrium is now a Zoo area with loud music blaring at all hours of the day. It self defeats the other areas above the Atrium that bear the brunt of the noise that emanates from below. Why have a library or relaxation area if all you hear is the booming of the music below.My recommendations:

Smaller ships perhaps 100,000 holding about 2200 passengers at most.

Get rid of the Atrium and go back to the open space that existed for the Millenium class

A large entertainment room for dancing and live music with a real dance floor.

An observation room that can be utilized for special events (50s,60s or 70s nights)

A wrap around promenade that can really be utilized and one that is not blocked by lifeboats.

The ships are getting too modern and most of the sitting areas other than the theater are really uncomfortable.

The interior of the ship should harken back to another period like the golden age of the Ocean liners that sailed in the 1930s thru 50s-We should see more wood and brass.

Get rid of the modern art and give us some paintings that we can really admire.

I would pay more if all of this were possible and Celebrity instead of being the best? of a poor bunch in the mega class started setting herself apart.

These new liners would be in a class all their own-not at the level of a Crystal which is the class of mid size ships (50-75 tons) but a truly premium line that will turn heads with a bit of luxury here and there.

It would be a gamble but I think it would pay off. Those that want a party type ship with a mall in the middle would be directed to RCl. These new ships would command a higher price (10-20% more than at present) but it would be worth it and many I believe would sail.

Ok I've already posted but I just read this and it is spot on!! Not all of want a floating city, I too, would pay extra for a Celebrity product as described above.

Sue

I think that there are a lot of old people wanting to hold onto old designs and amenities too long.

Celebrity Management is much younger than a lot of people on here and will thus want to cater to younger generations in order to solidify success in the future instead of catering to a group that is dying off. They need to provide cutting edge ships, not twenty year old designs.

I believe the OP is right on regarding Engines fueled by Liquified Natural Gas. The number of ships using this fuel is increasing rapidly. They are much cleaner compared to heavy oils.

Whether or not the S Class ships are an improvement on the M Class is very much a matter of opinion.

We don't like the S Class and avoid them as much as is possible.

We prefer AQ on the S class. However, in my old age, I have shrunk from 6 feet to 5 feet, 8 inches. Ergo, if I live long enough, I may eventually enjoy the M class if I shrink farther, and I will.

I would like the same size ship or smaller. More modern art. I love the Chihuly glass art that they have on some of the ships. The glass blowing on 3 of the Solstice class ships are great. I took a glass blowing class over the holidays. It was so much fun. Maybe something of a live art show with marble, bronze or theater in the round. I do like the Solstice class ship a lot. As to music, I'm wanting 1980's to 2010's. As Celebrity has no plans to build any ships for awhile now. If they decide to get new ship wont it be in 2020 or so. As the title said "A New Generation of Celebrity Ships" Richard

We'll have to wait and see if there's a backlash over newer and bigger megaships by the time X starts adding to the fleet. If not, that's the direction the cruise industry is moving in, like it or not (and I do not).

As to OP's suggestions--

As long as it's fuel efficient, great, but while faster speeds means more time in ports, it could also mean the cruise could be over sooner:eek:.

Sounds good.

2000 pax is plenty.

I do miss the full promenade.

Too much like a shopping mall for my taste.

Several smaller dining areas would provide variety-- maybe not ten. Take the top deck of the MDR to provide two or three such additional venues. Leave the bottom deck for those who still want the MDR experience, including choice of fixed (port side)or Select (starboard side) dining. Continue to have restaurants such as Blu, Silk Harvest, Tuscan Grille, Murano, in other areas. People could opt for a fixed time and restaurant for every night (and pay accordingly if it's an upscale venue), make reservations each night for any restaurant for whatever time they choose for that evening, or just show up at a restaurant and see if there's a table available-- if not, either wait, try another restaurant, or hit the buffet.

Re the dress code-- On formal nights, let it be known that if you intend to eat at any of the restaurants in the MDR area, you WILL be turned away if not properly dressed-- you're free to avail yourself of restaurants in other areas. Those that want to play dressup (that's me) can do so without having to tolerate those who don't, while the wide selection of dining venues in other areas of the ship should satisfy others.

I've often thought that the volume of the theater isn't justified by the level of entertainment. How about a smaller space and bring in a theater troupe to perform some (very) off-Broadway plays that just require a small stage? I like the idea of a smaller, more intimate comedy club. I can always watch first run movies when not cruising.

I would keep the ability to swing open the partitions between balconies-- I miss that on M-class.

And bring back the top-optional sun deck!:eek::rolleyes::D

I would like to see Celebrity return to the Galaxy class of ships. I thought they were the perfect size and really don't like too many more people than what they held. I would say around 1800 max. Of course they could upgrade their propulsion systems to make them more efficient and do some slight redesigns. Gas Turbines are also very efficient and clean burning. I believe that's what's on the "M' class ships. I would also say about 3-4 restaurant choices are plenty on any ship. Sometimes too much of anything is not a good thing!

My favorite ship was the Mercury!!

Better food, better food, better food. If there's one thing that helped me fall in love with cruising, it was the wonderful meals in the main dining room. My wife calls them the aaah meals where you can't believe how good it is, night after night.:p

As far as size, smaller is better although I don't see it going that way. Azamara is looking better and better.:rolleyes:

Better food, better food, better food. If there's one thing that helped me fall in love with cruising, it was the wonderful meals in the main dining room. My wife calls them the aaah meals where you can't believe how good it is, night after night.:p

As far as size, smaller is better although I don't see it going that way. Azamara is looking better and better.:rolleyes:

Yes, you are correct, Azamara is looking better all the time! I like the size of the Oceania line as well. We have a cruise booked on one of those for next February. I believe 3 of the five ships they have in their fleet used to be part of the old Renniassance cruise lines ships. I think that's what the two Azamara ships were a part of as well.