A New Generation of Celebrity Ships

kelmac

Keep them the size of the S class or a little larger.

Better layout of the aft balconies (covered on lower decks) and make the location of the suites not under noisy areas.

A more open (less partitioned) layout similar to the promenade on RCCL. More places to hang out that are not loud clubs or bars, like cafes and coffee shops.

A brighter, roomier and less modern dining room than S class, I hate how dark they keep it and how the 2 top tables are so crammed together.

A true exterior promenade with access to the bow.

Lots of windows and sea views in the common areas

Yes, you are correct, Azamara is looking better all the time! I like the size of the Oceania line as well. We have a cruise booked on one of those for next February. I believe 3 of the five ships they have in their fleet used to be part of the old Renniassance cruise lines ships. I think that's what the two Azamara ships were a part of as well.

We loved our cruises on Azamara and Oceania! Food was the best of all of our cruises. Ships are small, so not much to do. Talking to well traveled individuals was about the only entertainment, which is fine.

I don't buy the idea that smaller ships are better, or more people would rave about Holland America's S and R class ships.(they are fine, but not great) Larger ships offer more opportunities and options. They are less expensive to operate per passenger. I never expected to like the Allure of the Seas, but it turned out to be a great experience. My favorite ships are S-class of Celebrity!!

Don't flame me for this:eek: but I think some people don't like to walk long distances to reach their cabin, the buffet, the MDR, the theater -- thus, they don't like large ships. They all have their reasons and limitations, but I think this is a huge motivation for hating larger ships. We like to walk, and usually take the stairs. (burns some of those extra calories) That's one of the reasons I wish Celebrity would add wrap around promenade decks to their next generation of ships. Anyone who has spent some time on the Queen Mary 2, with it's huge, teakwood promenade deck, knows what I'm getting at.

As long as a large ship has a great space ratio and an uncrowded feel, I'm in! (Great food helps!!!!!:p:D)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We loved our cruises on Azamara and Oceania! Food was the best of all of our cruises. Ships are small, so not much to do. Talking to well traveled individuals was about the only entertainment, which is fine.

Don't flame me for this:eek: but I think some people don't like to walk long distances to reach their cabin, the buffet, the MDR, the theater -- thus, they don't like large ships. They all have their reasons and limitations, but I think this is a huge motivation for hating larger ships. We like to walk, and usually take the stairs. (burns some of those extra calories) That's one of the reasons I wish Celebrity would add wrap around promenade decks to their next generation of ships. Anyone who has spent some time on the Queen Mary 2, with it's huge, teakwood promenade deck, knows what I'm getting at.

As long as a large ship has a great space ratio and an uncrowded feel, I'm in! (Great food helps!!!!!:p:D)

Enjoy!

I agree on the wraparound promenade. A big complaint about the new Royal Princess was the complete lack of any Promenade.

I would also like to see more restaurants. Since I switched over to my time dining, I have discovered that I like it more. I think it would only enhance having more choices, both included and upcharge. I think it would also improve food quality as they would have one kitchen trying to service 1500 people at once

A main dining room change that would be able to separate those wanting to dress down and those wanting to dress up on formal nights. There have been so many posts complaining against the formal vs the casual and those that do not mind what people wear as long as it does not bother their evening. 2 MDR locations would solve the issue. Those wanting to dress to formal rules set by Celebrity go to MDR #1 and those requesting casual go to MDR #2. What ever happens please do not place in same area IE upper and lower MDR areas as this would be looked upon as class segregation.

Not sure why newer always needs to be larger?:confused:

As for being old?.....isn't "the next birthday" better than the

alternative?:eek:.......

Hi Lois,

I like the ship I'm on and always chuckle about the big vs small ships. I remember when Century was launched and loads of people on this board said they would never,never sail such a big ship. If Celebrity made larger ships everything would be relative. I personally would love to see a ship that could go into Hamilton in Bermuda. The wharf does not compare.

I would not want anything larger than the S class ships.

I believe the open atrium design was a mistake. At least as long as they insist on blaring loud music from there night and day. It poisons all the other areas that open to the atrium. Have some closed spaces where people can do zumba (what's wrong with the gym?) and dancing and whatever.

I think a full promenade would be great. Would also like to see some 2BR, 2BA suites. And smaller dining rooms. The MDR is just too noisy. Hard to carry on a conversation with one's tablemates. And a real movie theater.

A main dining room change that would be able to separate those wanting to dress down and those wanting to dress up on formal nights. There have been so many posts complaining against the formal vs the casual and those that do not mind what people wear as long as it does not bother their evening. 2 MDR locations would solve the issue. Those wanting to dress to formal rules set by Celebrity go to MDR #1 and those requesting casual go to MDR #2. What ever happens please do not place in same area IE upper and lower MDR areas as this would be looked upon as class segregation.

Why not change the specialty restaurants to formal night every night. Dressing in a tux or dark suit ever night is very simple. A dark suit take me 10 mins or less to get dress. Dressing smart casual takes much longer. To many choices. Richard

I still haven't sailed on my first cruise on celebrity yet so my thoughts maybe a bit premature. Having said that I definitely miss the in obstructed promenade deck that goes with the old chips. On my previous RCCL cruise I enjoyed strolling around the promenade on the middle deck of the ship.

I'm also intrigued by the new NCL ships featuring a outdoor oceanfront open air restaurants. It would be great to see that done on a cruise ship geared towards older clientele. This of course includes having more open air bar spaces to sit and have a nice cold beer.

One thing I'm still uncertain of is how I feel about the MDR. I think I'm leaning more towards becoming a fan of various dining options away from the noise and hustle and bustle and the formal night fiascos of the MDR.

A nice cold beer with a breeze, that sounds good....maybe a live band/sunset....

Why not change the specialty restaurants to formal night every night. Dressing in a tux or dark suit ever night is very simple. A dark suit take me 10 mins or less to get dress. Dressing smart casual takes much longer. To many choices. Richard

Celebrity is making too much money by leaving it smart casual so they won't change that.

The Solstice class was a step down for Celebrity and resulted in a more mass marketed ship that seems much more like RCL ships. The one improvement they did make that was great was the larger cabins. The Atrium is now a Zoo area with loud music blaring at all hours of the day. It self defeats the other areas above the Atrium that bear the brunt of the noise that emanates from below. Why have a library or relaxation area if all you hear is the booming of the music below.My recommendations:

Smaller ships perhaps 100,000 holding about 2200 passengers at most.

Get rid of the Atrium and go back to the open space that existed for the Millenium class

A large entertainment room for dancing and live music with a real dance floor.

An observation room that can be utilized for special events (50s,60s or 70s nights)

A wrap around promenade that can really be utilized and one that is not blocked by lifeboats.

The ships are getting too modern and most of the sitting areas other than the theater are really uncomfortable.

The interior of the ship should harken back to another period like the golden age of the Ocean liners that sailed in the 1930s thru 50s-We should see more wood and brass.

Get rid of the modern art and give us some paintings that we can really admire.

I would pay more if all of this were possible and Celebrity instead of being the best? of a poor bunch in the mega class started setting herself apart.

These new liners would be in a class all their own-not at the level of a Crystal which is the class of mid size ships (50-75 tons) but a truly premium line that will turn heads with a bit of luxury here and there.

It would be a gamble but I think it would pay off. Those that want a party type ship with a mall in the middle would be directed to RCl. These new ships would command a higher price (10-20% more than at present) but it would be worth it and many I believe would sail.

Sounds to me like you described the Eurodamn and the Nieuw Amsterdamn to a T. Read this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1895592

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

We love all classes of Celebrity ships .Each has it's own ambiance & favors .

We agree that a complete wrap around promenade deck would be very nice to stroll after dinner & prior to the show for us early dining types .

A real dance floor with varities of dance music played

A greater variety of daytime activities like a mini golf tournament ,ring toss , a pickle ball court ie

Love to see a electric bumper car & interactive head sets for video action .,for us young at heart folks

Food needs to be improved in the MDR . It would be better to have 2 MDR to lower the noise levels .

Bring back Ahi tuna & Salmon to the Aqua café .

1. A Pawn Shop

2. A Water Slide in the Atrium

3. Pet Daycare and Boutique

4. Reservations for a psychic reading

5. Japanese Zen Garden on top deck instead of lawn

A rock climbing wall in the middle of a 9 hole golf courses.

Zip line over the open air MDR. Smart casual for the zip line of course

1. A Pawn Shop

2. A Water Slide in the Atrium

3. Pet Daycare and Boutique

4. Reservations for a psychic reading

5. Japanese Zen Garden on top deck instead of lawn

I love the idea of a Pet Daycare and Boutique. The only ship I can take my dog on is Cunard transatlanic. Richard

Looking ahead to the future, what would you like to see in Celebrity's next generation of cruise ships?

Here is my list:

--High Tech air/bubble hull design to allow fuel economy + 30+ knot speeds

--LHG (liquid natural Gas) engines (very low emissions)

--135,000 ton ships w/3,100 passengers

--wrap around promenade deck similar to the Queen Mary 2

--wider ships with open atriums similar to RCI designs

--commitment to upscale cuisine and 10+ alternative restaurants

--complete change in strategy concerning onboard entertainment (comedy club, first run movie theater…,)

What are your thoughts?

I think you would enjoy the Allure or Oasis of the Seas. Entertainment great, the Atrium is already part of the ship, many specialty restaurants -not ten)

I don't buy the idea that smaller ships are better, or more people would rave about Holland America's S and R class ships.(they are fine, but not great) Larger ships offer more opportunities and options. They are less expensive to operate per passenger. I never expected to like the Allure of the Seas, but it turned out to be a great experience. My favorite ships are S-class of Celebrity!!

Enjoy!

I think you would enjoy the Allure or Oasis of the Seas. Entertainment great, the Atrium is already part of the ship, many specialty restaurants -not ten)

Page one post of this thread.:)

Kel

Millennium sized ship.

Amazing spa with a T pool similar to what was on Mercury.

Persian Garden with more of an experience. More steam rooms and body sprays, aromatherapy, etc.

Food of quality from the Roux days.

Yes, don't we miss the food quality from the Roux days, yummmm

A rock climbing wall in the middle of a 9 hole golf courses.

Zip line over the open air MDR. Smart casual for the zip line of course

LOL. Don't forget the flowrider in the theater, opposite the stage, for when people start drifting asleep.

And how about a "this line is crap" travel protection plan? In this, first time cruisers on RCL and Celebrity can swap cabins with each other in port, and return to what they're used to. Whew!

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

In order of my personal priorities:

#1 Low emissions, as green as possible

#2 Indoor TPool w/Aqua Spa Cafe, entire area open to 18+ only, no one :) under 18 even allowed to walk thru

#3 Solstice Style, no cabanas, w/hot glass, but 2100 PAX max

#4 Wrap around promenade with a dedicated running track

#5 Blu, dedicated to AQ only, no suite Pax allowed

#6 Dedicated Suite restaurant

#7 Window cabins on the walk around promenade deck, 50% dedicated to

singles w/only a set 20% supplement

#8 Zero smoking

#9 Absolutely no one under 18 allowed in the bar lounges after 7pm; no exceptions. ****Even for adorable Peter, aged 3, who ran screaming thru the Ensemble Lounge for approximately 45 minutes every evening, informing all of us that he was, & I quote: "A very, very scary monster" His parents & extended family of grandparents was very amused.

The rest of us, not so much. **** :)

#10 A much larger included spa area w/separate steam rooms w/ocean view for men/women

#11 Smithsonian speakers on all European itineraries

#12 One ship dedicated to Europe year round

#13 Cabin set up comparable to M Class, WC's set up like S class

#14 Absolutely no one under the age of 15 allowed in Blu or any Specialty Restaurant at any time, period.

#15 Wine & Beer age of 18 all non U.S. based itineraries

Edited by cruise kitty

In order of my personal priorities:

#9 Absolutely no one under 18 allowed in the bar lounges after 7pm; no exceptions. ****Even for adorable Peter, aged 3, who ran screaming thru the Ensemble Lounge for approximately 45 minutes every evening, informing all of us that he was, & I quote: "A very, very scary monster" His parents & extended family of grandparents was very amused.

The rest of us, not so much. **** :)

That'd be number one on my list (or near the top) but I guess that a different thread topic.

Note to parents just because you think your rug-rat's unruly behavior is cute doesn't mean others do.