has anyone seen a lowering of onboard wine prices

SeaBands

I thought Cunard's wine prices were high. Fortunately we can take it or leave it - well, I have to admit I would rather take it. DW has to limit alcohol due to various medications, so we may order a glass now and then instead of sending the bottle away to be kept for the next dinner. Is there anything decent served by the glass?

Decent by the glass: Yes, if it is available. Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc

I thought Cunard's wine prices were high. Fortunately we can take it or leave it - well, I have to admit I would rather take it. DW has to limit alcohol due to various medications, so we may order a glass now and then instead of sending the bottle away to be kept for the next dinner. Is there anything decent served by the glass?

Guess that would depend on your personal definition of "decent." We would say they do have some "drinkable" wines by the glass, but nothing we would buy when at home :)

Hank

Thank-you for the updated list. By my math, with a three star 25% discount means a seven bottle Navigator package costs about $25 a bottle.

You know we always complain about the stuff on the ship which seems to be over-priced, it is just human nature, but then you get upset, and it is not good to be upset on vacation, or even while planning one.

So I have a suggestion, next time you get annoyed that HAL is charging a 300% markup (or whatever) on your favorite wine. Think about one thing we get from HAL at no extra charge - maybe the twenty-four hour room service, ocean views, entertainment you can walk to, or walk away from.

And most of all, remember the pure joy of being on a ship at sea, a ship which looks and feels like a ship, a ship on which you can experience the limitless expanse of sea and sky, hear the waves, feel the breeze, the gentle rocking of the waves, and surrender to the age-old human yearning for the sea.

Thank-you for the updated list. By my math, with a three star 25% discount means a seven bottle Navigator package costs about $25 a bottle.

You know we always complain about the stuff on the ship which seems to be over-priced, it is just human nature, but then you get upset, and it is not good to be upset on vacation, or even while planning one.

So I have a suggestion, next time you get annoyed that HAL is charging a 300% markup (or whatever) on your favorite wine. Think about one thing we get from HAL at no extra charge - maybe the twenty-four hour room service, ocean views, entertainment you can walk to, or walk away from.

And most of all, remember the pure joy of being on a ship at sea, a ship which looks and feels like a ship, a ship on which you can experience the limitless expanse of sea and sky, hear the waves, feel the breeze, the gentle rocking of the waves, and surrender to the age-old human yearning for the sea.

Very nice post. Thank you. Today I paid $2.40 for a glass of diet coke at a chain deli. All I kept thinking was I could have gotten this cheaper on HAL. :D

Edited by Linda&Vern

Guess that would depend on your personal definition of "decent." We would say they do have some "drinkable" wines by the glass, but nothing we would buy when at home :)

Hank

Yes, I think "drinkable" was the word I should have used. I would define that as something that doesn't make me gag or wish I had ordered ginger ale. :D

Just off the Noordam on Monday and the implementation of the new wine policy.

I bought a 5 bottle Navigator package for 85.50 with my 50% 4 star discount.

$17.10 plus 15% gratuity. Per bottle. I went to the tasting and found a bottle that I liked. Came home with two - didn't want to leave them behind!

The employee stationed at the "liquor table" at the gangway was collecting a lot of wine. They had a sign on the table stating the $18 corkage fee per bottle and I guess passengers weren't too happy. There were multiple bottles left to be stored until the last night of the cruise.

In reply to an earlier post, indeed, there are some " losers" on the navigator and admiral packages...yet the Cellar Master ( aka, Sommelier) will usually help find other wines of equivalent value if he has any. We have had all the Admiral package wines--some we like, some we like less, that we usually ask if we can trade, and the answer is usually " of course" . Just ask the Sommelier, not necessarily the wine waiter.

As 4 star mariners, we appreciate this flexibility from the Sommelier, so we get to try newer wine ( different stuff) and use the applicable discount.

Cheers, smooth seas and thanks, KK, for the new list. Am sorry to see that the price for Chivas has increased...may have to switch to Martinis, and pursuade my wife to "trade down" to Finlandia from Chopin...as you said, it's 2 for 1, after all!

Actually HAL's markup is more than 300% but I don't let it bother me. I'm not annoyed. Quite happy to bring my favorite wine onboard (MUCH better than adequate or just "drinkable") and pay the corkage fee. But if HAL had a decently priced wine list (like Celebrity) they would get more of my money. Their choice.

Actually HAL's markup is more than 300% but I don't let it bother me. I'm not annoyed. Quite happy to bring my favorite wine onboard (MUCH better than adequate or just "drinkable") and pay the corkage fee. But if HAL had a decently priced wine list (like Celebrity) they would get more of my money. Their choice.

I'm not doubting your opinion. But do you have a copy of this famous Celebrity list of decently priced wine? I ask because although many have mentioned it, no one seems to have a copy. Just curious what's on it, that's all.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I'm not doubting your opinion. But do you have a copy of this famous Celebrity list of decently priced wine? I ask because although many have mentioned it, no one seems to have a copy. Just curious what's on it, that's all.

I do not carry around a copy of Celebrity's or HAL's wine lists, but we do cruise both lines quite often (4 Star Mariners with HAL and Elite Plus with Celebrity) and will verify that Celebrity does have a wine list that is far superior to what we have on HAL. As to prices, neither line is great, but Celebrity does seem to have some better choices in the medium ($30 -$40) price range.

One interesting facet of HAL are the Navigator and Admiral Packages, which are a great interest to many 3,4 and 5 star cruisers because of the discounts. But HAL has padded these packages with very low cost wines (we think some would cost HAL less then $4 per bottle since they can avoid paying most taxes) for the express reason that the packages are designed to be sold at a great discount and still generate a healthy profit. We would love to see the same discounts applied to the entire wine list...but we know that will never happen.

Hank

I found it a few months ago on the Celebrity forum - when I was looking into the wine prices on various cruise lines. Once the search function is back you can do a search for it.

We love Celebrity's beverage packages, which include MANY choices of wines by the glass. While the list below doesn't show the bottle price, I can attest that they are much better than the stiff prices listed above (thank you, KK). On a recent European "wine immersion cruise" we enjoyed several great vintages from France and Spain, and all were in the classic beverage package (which was included in our cruise fare).

Below is a direct copy from Celebrity's website of their wine packages... their actual wine lists are even more extensive.

Onboard Wine Collection

We recently added over 100 new wines by the bottle, including 20 new half bottle selections, so our extensive wine collection now features over 500 choices. Every major wine-producing region is represented including more wines from South America, Spain, New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Portugal and South Africa. We've also expanded our wine-by-the-glass selections from 25 to 38 choices, and many of these are included as part of our Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package. The new Reserve List contains hand-picked selections of our best wines from the Specialty Wine Lists found in our Main Restaurant and Blu.

Wine Packages (Premium)

Celebrity Cruises proudly partners with the following brands to offer you, our guests, greater pleasure and value:

Sparkling Wines

Domaine Carneros, by Taittinger, California

White Wines

Chardonnay, Cambria, Katherine's Vineyard, Santa Barbara

Chardonnay, Zuccardi, Q, Mendoza

Pinot Grigio, Bertani, Veneto

Sancerre, Michel Redde, France

Sauvignon Blanc, Villa Maria, Private Bin, New Zealand

Albariño, Paco and Lola, Rais Baixas

Riesling, Pacific Rim, Wallula Vineyard, Washington

Pinot Gris, King Estate, Oregon

Grüner Veltliner, Estoras, Austria

Rose

Whispering Angel, Provence, France

Red Wines

Malbec, Pascael Toso, Reserve, Argentina

Cabernet Sauvignon, Rosemount, Show Reserve, Mudgee, Australia

Cabernet Sauvignon, Nelms Road, Washington

Pinot Noir, Whitehaven, Marlborough, New Zealand

Prima Voce, Tuscany, Italy

Shiraz, Wolf Blass, Gold Label, South Australia

Miguel Torres "Coridllera", Chile

Merlot, Raymond, Reserve, Napa Valley

Grenache, d'Arenburg, "The Custodian", Barossa Valley

Pinot Noir, Joseph Drouhin, Vero, France

Zinfandel, St. Francis, Sonoma

Zinfandel, Kunde Estate, California

Wine Packages (Classic)

Celebrity Cruises proudly partners with the following brands to offer you excellence and value:

Sparkling Wine

Bouvet Signature, France

White Wines

Chardonnay, Penfolds, Koonunga Hill, Australia

Vouvray, Michel Picard,Loire, France

Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Horse Heaven Hills

Sauvignon Blanc, Murphy Goode, California

Chardonnay, Santa Ema, "Select Terroir", Chile

Riesling, S.A. Prum, "Essence", Germany

Pinot Grigio, Fantinel, Borgo Tesis, Italy

Rose Wines

Gaga Rose, by Kendall-Jackson, California

White Zinfandel, Beringer, California

Red Wines

Malbec, Luigi Bosca, "La Linda", Argentina

Cabernet Sauvignon, Beringer, Founder's Estates, California

Pinot Noir, Matua, New Zealand

Garnacha, Altovinum, "Evodia", Spain

Zinfandel, Renwood, Sierra Foothills, California

Tempranillo, Condesa de Laganza, Spain

Syrah , Chateau Ste. Michelle, Washington

Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Crest "H3" Horse Heaven, Washington

Merlot, Sebastiani, California

I think the word "famous" is certainly an overstatement and doing folks who are just trying to express their opinion a disservice. Celebrity does seem to often make changes to their basic wine list and they also have a more extensive wine list plus many additional wines in all price ranges available in their special wine rooms (on the S-Class ships) where anyone can choose from dozens of wines by the glass in various sizes (they are dispensed by automatic machines. But here is link to the "basic" wine list with prices:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1814677

What we find notable on Celebrity is there decent medium priced selection in the $25-$40 price range. For those who enjoy "fine wines" there are many offerings (some for hundreds of dollars per bottle) that do not show on the basic list.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Think about one thing we get from HAL at no extra charge - maybe the twenty-four hour room service, ocean views, entertainment you can walk to, or walk away from.

Last time I checked, these 'no extra charge' items came as part of the cost of the cruise fare.

Thank you Retired Mustang photo of wine list great

As we have not sailed on HAL (have 2 cruises booked on the Prinsendam)

When you purchase a bottle in one of the bars, if you only drink half a bottle what happens

Are you able to take the wine to the MDR or a different bar

There are various sizes for a glass of wine (how many glasses to the bottle)

Also notice the cost for water is there no free water at bars and the MDR

15% added for each glass or bottle

Thank you Retired Mustang photo of wine list great

As we have not sailed on HAL (have 2 cruises booked on the Prinsendam)

When you purchase a bottle in one of the bars, if you only drink half a bottle what happens

Are you able to take the wine to the MDR or a different bar

There are various sizes for a glass of wine (how many glasses to the bottle)

Also notice the cost for water is there no free water at bars and the MDR

15% added for each glass or bottle

You can take your unfinished wine with you, or the wine steward will store it for the next night.

Regardless of the size of the wine glass, you *should* get 5 glasses per bottle. (We own some Riedel Burgundy & Bordeaux glasses. They'd hold almost a whole bottle, but you still only fill them with a 5 oz pour.) The exception is dessert wines, which typically have a 3 oz serving.

Water is free everywhere, but *bottled* water is a chargeable item.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks POA1

Certainly lowers the cost of wine if you are able to buy by the bottle

Retired Mustang (Dave) posted the wine package lists in his Live from the Ryndam thread. Your cost per bottle is lowest with the packages. I looked all those wines up in Wine Spectator & Wine Advocate. They are pretty much all in the Good to Very Good range. The reds are a bit better in the Admiral's package. The whites are kind of a pick em.