Waterproof Jackets for Alaska

Goalieboy

Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight packable waterproof jackets?

I have read post after post about being prepared and would like to get a jacket that will keep me dry on our trip. I don't really want to spend more than about $50 if possible, but would prefer a decent quality jacket I can also use for golf, fishing, etc after our trip.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight packable waterproof jackets?

I have read post after post about being prepared and would like to get a jacket that will keep me dry on our trip. I don't really want to spend more than about $50 if possible, but would prefer a decent quality jacket I can also use for golf, fishing, etc after our trip.

Checkout sportsmansguide.com

I bought one from them at a reasonable price. It is labled "Guide Gear" and it has a rain hood and lots of big pockets. I think it will be perfect for Alaska. Wish I would have had it on my previous trips there.

We bought great jackets for $19.99 at our first port in Alaska...You can also try your local sporting good store or even a Ross..I think it's best to be able to "try on" any jacket in person I'm going to wear...Best of luck and enjoy Alaska.

Yes, you can usually find those $19.99 water-resistant, fleece lined jackets with hoods at stores near the docks at the major Alaska ports, and they are really nice jackets for the price.

Many cruises stop at Ketchikan as their first port of call, where there is a big Tongass general store right on the dock that has the jackets for sale, as well as just about anything else you may need.

I agree about trying the jackets on before you buy, and would also suggest getting a size larger

(1) so that you can add layers underneath as needed

and

(2) so that you will still be able to close the zipper by the end of the cruise after eating all that food.

I ordered myself a waterproof Columbia Arcadia II rain jacket that I am really pleased with. We are going to a Columbia outlet next week so I'm hoping we can get one for DH there if not I will be ordering one. The men's jackets are $60 I need a extended size and it was $70. The quality is superior, very lightweight and will fold up very small.

Look into Eastern Mountain Sports. Their house brand rain jackets are really quite good. My daughter sails and swears by hers. You should be able to get a sale price within your budget.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is important to understand the differences between water resistant and waterproof because when it rains in SE Alaska you can experience quite the downpour. We prefer Gortex, but suspect that we are more active than some of the visitors to our state.

oh you people up north, you don't know what rain is. and we don't know what cold is.

for gortex or other 'miracle' fabrics to work, the humidity outside your jacket has to be less than the humidity inside your jacket. most of our rain events in SE are mist, fog, light rain, mist, and fog, and then light rain. humidity will be at 100% saturation. it has to be raining harder inside your jacket than outside for any transpiration to occur.

ever see your heros on 'deadliest catch' wearing miracle fabrics?

The problem with most of the cheap waterproof jackets is that while the rain stays out, the sweat stays in. They can be very uncomfortable.

If you can see spending the money, get a breathable jacket made with Gortex or a similar fabric.

DON

Look into Eastern Mountain Sports. Their house brand rain jackets are really quite good. My daughter sails and swears by hers. You should be able to get a sale price within your budget.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They do have good sales and both have clearance outlets on their sites. It is worth a look. Sale prices will be the same in the stores and you will be able to try them on (always a good idea). LL Bean has some great merchandise - but, as we used to say in Texas, they are usually very proud of them (read expensive).

Found by looking on web sites or going to stores in January, there were decent quality rain jackets on clearance racks, etc so was able to pick up AK bound stuff for entire family, between various stores: rei, ems, Eddie Bauer, ll beans, dicks sporting, gander mountain as hit or miss on sizes, etc in each store/site. And Sierra trading post site still has good deals if you can find color/size you can live with. All of the jackets I found could be folded into a pocket and put in backpack, and I think mine (:)) ended up being the most expensive at around $70. Marmot Precip....comes in men and women's.

I ordered ours from Eddie Bauer they are the Rainfoil type. They are fantastic I have had them for 2 years and they are light weight/packable/washable. Ordered them large enough for a fleece vest or pullover under. Love these jackets rain just beads up on them.

I ordered ours from Eddie Bauer they are the Rainfoil type. They are fantastic I have had them for 2 years and they are light weight/packable/washable. Ordered them large enough for a fleece vest or pullover under. Love these jackets rain just beads up on them.

I ended up getting my daughter one from Eddie Bauer, and while she hasn't had it for long, it does seem very nice and easy to pack. We have had a test run hiking in the cold and rain here, and with a long sleeved base layer, fleece, light jacket, & rain jacket were able to hike comfortably in 40 degree weather in upstate NY. Thou forty almost seems "balmy" where we live, but figure would be close to what might be hiking on glacier in summer - well my guess as never been to AK before.

I got mine at Eddie Bauer on a clearance rack. It's waterproof and windproof (something else you may want). I also purchased a fleece vest to go under it so I can wear it during the winter here in Georgia. I think I payed around $20 for the jacket. I got the fleece vest at REI - again on the clearance rack. I got both of them toward the end of the winter season in March I believe.

Spring stock should be coming into stores about now. I would just buy whatever you would normally wear in the spring or fall on rainy days. I got one on clearance at Sportcheck for under $50. It's nylon on the outside and is lined with fleece. All rolled up it's about the size of a small loaf of bread. I sprayed it with waterproofing. It kept me warm on glacier day and dry on rainy Ketchikan day. We went at the end of August so I didn't really use it that much.

My recommendation is to go with a layered approach. A Gortex or Gortex like breathable/Gortex like fabric is a must. I have a hooded raincoat from Cabelas that I love but there are lots and lots of items out there. All depends on your price range. But going with a lighter shell with room to have a sweater underneath allows you to scale your temperature needs. Now is a good time as the end of winter sales are starting. Besides Cabelas as said earlier Eddie Bauer has good online sales as well as Sierra Trading post. The get some great deals from time to time.

Good hunting and enjoy you time in Alaska.

I'm from Canada and my partner and I got amazing jackets from Mark's Work Warehouse. The jacket we bought has an inside liner that can be taken off ( so 2 jackets in one). It can withstand our cold Canadian winters (-30c) so we know it will be warm enough for whatever the temp is when we go to Alaska (we are going in late May). The coats are not cheap ( around $200.00 Canadian) but are kept in stock year round ( probably for people like us !) and a great investment in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I ordered a pair of rain pants from Sierra Trading Post and they were delivered today. Most likely these will only be worn for our cruise so I didn't want to spend a bundle. At $22 they were considerably cheaper than any others I had looked at...and...with the 35% off coupon code I found online they were a real bargain. Reviews seem to be mostly good.

The pants are waterproof, windproof, and breathable so I think they will do the trick. They come in their own little stuff sack which will make them easy to throw in my backpack to have handy in case of rain.

I ordered a pair of rain pants from Sierra Trading Post and they were delivered today. Most likely these will only be worn for our cruise so I didn't want to spend a bundle. At $22 they were considerably cheaper than any others I had looked at...and...with the 35% off coupon code I found online they were a real bargain. Reviews seem to be mostly good.

The pants are waterproof, windproof, and breathable so I think they will do the trick. They come in their own little stuff sack which will make them easy to throw in my backpack to have handy in case of rain.

I also bought these and couldn't believe how nice they fit over our jeans and how small they pack up they are really well made. I didn't want to spend a lot and most I looked at were really expensive DH may use them in the winter here when he is blowing the snow.

I also bought these and couldn't believe how nice they fit over our jeans and how small they pack up they are really well made. I didn't want to spend a lot and most I looked at were really expensive DH may use them in the winter here when he is blowing the snow.

I'll third these pants! Originally I bought these pants for my DH and a more expensive pair for myself. I liked his more so I returned and got a second pair for me!

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where did you find the coupon code? Do you know if it is still valid?