Any future cruisers worried about Black Sea?

alexandra cruiser

Short of a civil war in the Baltic region, traveling there via cruise ship should be OK. Shore excursions could be another thing depending on temper of the population in that particular location. Oceania ships are flagged in the Marshall Islands (Majuro) but its passengers are mainly from the US and there could be local sentiment in that regard.

St. Pete is only an issue because one's tourist dollars are going to the same guy that is causing all the trouble in the Black Sea! :mad:

That is the point! If cruise ships from G7 countries stopped cruising to St. Petersburg this summer, a tremendous amount of money would be lost. We are booked to go to St. Petersburg and would have no problem at all if the itinerary was changed to omit that port.

Alexandra Cruiser;

When considering the B2B with Viking, we were going to do it in Sep. Scenic only runs Budapest to Burcharest April - Jun and I didn't want to do Istanbul and Athens in July :eek:, to darn hot!

So if Putin continues to be a bad boy and we skip the O Black Sea portion , we may look at doing the June Scenic Tour BudaPest to Bucharest.

Edited by pinotlover

I had planned on the Oceania Black Sea cruise in 2015, I was going to do it as a B2B with the Viking River cruise some else mentioned from Budapest to Bucherest. But will not do the O cruise now. I have no desire to financially facilitate Putin and his band of thugs. The same goes for going to ST. Pete to me, I've already been there, but If not I would not give even one (1) of my tourist dollars to the outlaw nation.

That's how we feel as well. Will be canceling out of a Moscow to St. Petersberg river cruise before we loose too much of the deposit.

Edited by BillPizzaiolo

Alexandra Cruiser;

When considering the B2B with Viking, we were going to do it in Sep. Scenic only runs Budapest to Burcharest April - Jun and I didn't want to do Istanbul and Athens in July :eek:, to darn hot!

So if Putin continues to be a bad boy and we skip the O Black Sea portion , we may look at doing the June Scenic Tour BudaPest to Bucharest.

not this yr.Since this one is already sold out.The new 2o15 brochure is avail.These sell out fast,it seems.

Hope my first Scenic cruise is better than less than average one I had on Viking(to Russia)yrs ago.Have been on many other lines on river,like AMA best,but TRYING Scenic due to itinerary.;)

Alexandra,

On your Danube cruise, you are never in Russia nor are you ever in Ukraine. I wouldn't worry about Constanta. In fact, there is another country - Moldavia - between Rumania and Ukraine. Enjoy the cruise.

These river cruises have nothing to do with Oceania..why not post these on the River Cruise Board and not here.....

Floridianna;

Chill out! A lot of people do river cruises as B2B with Oceania, just like they do the pre and post Hotel packages with the O. Is that off-limits to you also? On our last Baltic trip we had a big group that had done the Moscow to St. Pete River Cruise. Know a group that, this fall, is taking O air deviation, flying into Lisbon 2 weeks early, doing the Douro River Cruise and then back up to Lisbon to get on O and to S.A. on an ocean crossing. If the Viking boat isn't sold out, I may join them.

It's all part of the travel excitement and adventure cruise packages. :D

I posted this over on the SilveSea board as we are cruising the Black Sea starting April 25. Here is the link to that board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1993404

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to defer all non-essential travel to Ukraine, and particularly the Crimean Peninsula, due to the potential for instability following the departure of former President Yanukovych, the establishment of a new government, and the movement of Russian troops in Crimea. Groups have staged protests, set up roadblocks, and occupied government buildings in several cities throughout Ukraine since November 2013. All U.S. citizens in Ukraine, and those considering travel to Ukraine, should evaluate their personal security situation in light of political instability and the possibility of violence. This supersedes the Travel Warning for Ukraine dated February 28, 2014, to provide updated information regarding the return of dependent family members of U.S. government personnel.

On March 6, the Department of State authorized the return of family members of U.S. government personnel to Ukraine. Peace Corps Volunteers departed Ukraine on February 25, 2014, and remain out of the country at this time. U.S. Embassy Kyiv’s Consular Section is open for all public services. The Embassy’s ability to respond to emergencies involving U.S. citizens in other parts of Ukraine is limited.

The Department of State urges U.S. citizens who travel to Ukraine to carefully evaluate the risks posed to their personal safety, particularly in Crimea and the eastern oblasts of Donetsk, Lugansk, and Kharkiv. While the transition to a new government has been largely peaceful, the police presence in Kyiv and other cities remains limited and there is still a potential for violence between supporters of different political parties. Since February 27, demonstrations and clashes have occurred in several cities in Ukraine.

Ground transportation may be disrupted throughout the country. Drivers, especially in Crimea, may encounter roadblocks that restrict access on certain roads. Commercial air travel could be delayed or cancelled with little or no notice. Travelers should check with their airlines for possible flight delays or cancellations prior to travel.

The situation in Ukraine is unpredictable and could change quickly. U.S. citizens throughout Ukraine should avoid large crowds. Those in Kyiv should keep away from the downtown areas of Kyiv near Independence Square and government buildings. U.S. citizens should be prepared to remain indoors for extended periods of time should clashes occur in their vicinity.

Protests in Kyiv began on November 21, 2013, following the Government of Ukraine’s announcement that it was suspending preparations to sign an association agreement with the European Union. On February 22, following three months of large protests and violent clashes, former President Yanukovych departed Kyiv. The Ukrainian Parliament established a new government on February 27. Groups that oppose the new government and support closer ties with Russia have staged demonstrations in cities throughout eastern and southern Ukraine. Russian troops have occupied several government buildings, including airports, and established roadblocks on the Crimean Peninsula.

U.S. citizens living or traveling in Ukraine are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Department of State'sSmart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest travel updates and to obtain updated information on security within Ukraine. By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the Embassy to contact them in case of emergency.

For inquiries regarding U.S. citizens in Ukraine related to the current unrest, please call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444, or email the Department of State at UkraineEmergencyUSC@state.gov. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). For emergency assistance for U.S. citizens in Ukraine, you may contact the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv at +380-44-521-5000 during regular business hours, or after-hours at +380-44-521-5000. The U.S. Embassy is located at 4 A.I. Sikorsky St. (formerly Tankova) in Kyiv.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens should regularly monitor the Department of State's Bureau of Consular AffairsInternet website, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, andCountry Specific Informationcan be found. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

What happens if things get worse, not better?

Can a Cruise line "swap" a whole itinerary?? What about the ports if that can happen. Do ports have additional "slots" they can add if an unscheduled ship/line changes their itinerary?

The cruise line can change whatever ports it wants. it's in the contract.

For me this has become a moral issue as well. I would not sail any Black Sea or Baltic cruise now that delivers U.S. dollars to the man who so flagrantly disregarded international law.

The cruise line can change whatever ports it wants. it's in the contract.

For me this has become a moral issue as well. I would not sail any Black Sea or Baltic cruise now that delivers U.S. dollars to the man who so flagrantly disregarded international law.

I understand that the cruise line can change the ports... I was just wondering how easy/difficult it is, or really how often they change a WHOLE itinerary???

And middle of summer in Europe, some ports are "congested" to say the least! Can a port just add another ship to the other 9 in port that day??

Just wondering out loud logistically how difficult it is...

I think it can be very difficult depending on where you are. When the non-Libya cruise changed its itinerary late in the game most of our ports stayed the same but for one or we went there on different dates and there were a couple of substitutions. As you say, this wasn't an entire itinerary that was affected. And my guess is that if they don't go to Sevastopol or Yalta, they won't do the Black Sea at all.

But it's only a guess.

Myself, I'd be cancelling this cruise right now if I could. We loved the itinerary when we did it two years ago, but I wouldn't do it today.

Mura

I imagine that's what people who were thinking about booking a Black Sea itinerary will do.

The folks who have my sympathy are those who are already booked for this year.

Mura

In which case why not just book a Greek island and Turkey cruise in the first place and wait to see what develops in the Black Sea?

My thoughts, exactly. We did the Black Sea cruise on the Nautica several years ago. The highlights were the three ports in the Ukraine. Constanta was (and should be ) skipped. Nessebur in Bulgaria was a nice day and Sochi would probably go the way of the Ukraine ports as far as stopping. Too many variables to book that itinerary now.

When we were booked on the non-Libya cruise, we were the second with that itinerary. For the first one, O made some last minute substitutions and people were not happy with the choices. We were notified months before ours, although after the final payment, and O offered a no penalty cancellation were we not happy, which substituted four ports in Italy for the three missed ones in Libya, but kept the remaining ports - Malta, Casablanca, Tunis, etc, the same. They wrote that it was too difficult to switch ports last minute and they were airing on the side of caution in enough time to enable a great itinerary.

Hopefully, they will do the same with the Black Sea.

I complete agree pinotlover. How I wish that O and other lines would cancel all their Russian scheduled stops.

I was on the Marina in the Baltic this past September with 3 days in St. Petersburg and we stayed on the ship b/c of their discrimination against the LBGT community. Russia has taken things to a whole new level now.

What a powerful message that can be made by cancelling the Russian ports (Baltic and Black Seas).