Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

I'm in the middle of deciding on a Transatlantic but was torn between NCL Epic (never been on NCL) or one of the many Celebrity TA's (been on Celebrity four or five times) BUT after reading this thread I guess I will lean more to the NCL. I'm afraid we might be in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, seven-day, no land portion and the LOUD music would force me to jump overboard!!

I'm in the middle of deciding on a Transatlantic but was torn between NCL Epic (never been on NCL) or one of the many Celebrity TA's (been on Celebrity four or five times) BUT after reading this thread I guess I will lean more to the NCL. I'm afraid we might be in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, seven-day, no land portion and the LOUD music would force me to jump overboard!!

IMHO, crossing on NCL, give me LOUD! We were one & done on NCL.

Excellent posts and analysis on this current topic.

I will not be booking another Celebrity cruise until Celebrity's direction on many items important to me (loud music in multiple venues, removing public rooms from general use, cut backs etc) are resolved. Meanwhile, I have booked my first Cunard QM2 sailing June 5.

It is to be applauded that Celebrity is working to changing their product -

Regards to all

ABoatNerd

Congrats! Have a wonderful cruise.

It's very possible that your Celebrity cruises didn't have any excessively loud music. Many of mine haven't either. The whole point is that some have and when they do you don't have to go looking for it. It's right in your face.

I'm a person who very seldom complains about anything, in fact for many years I've been accused of being a Celebrity cheerleader. I love all kinds of music...except maybe the accordion, and I don't mind if the music is loud in the appropriate place. Many of the people who are complaining about this are serious cruisers and have been on many Celebrity cruises so they've seen the difference. I don't think anyone goes around looking for the loud music...believe me you'll know it when you hear it.

You have it in a nutshell, Ma Bell. You're entirely correct in assessing that the problem is inconsistency across the fleet. We've gone on enough X cruises to make us Elite and yet we've never had any trouble with the music on any X ships until last week's cruise on the Reflection. I think the posters on this thread, and the others, who say there's no issue with decibel levels and steadfastly maintain that we're all crazy coots with imaginary hearing problems--well, they're the lucky ones who haven't hit the jackpot. Yet. I'm with you. When you hear it, you know it, and after that there's no denying that something's not right.

Edited by dln929

Hi all,

We have been reading the comments on this thread, as well as the other thread. While we don't want to comment on the demographics discussion, as well as who we are attracting, we can say that we are looking into the music issue to determine if and why it is too loud. Apologies that we can't comment any further (at least for now), but wanted to at least let everyone know that we aren't ignoring these discussions, and are in fact looking into this.

Thank goodness! We are going in May on the 10 night Med cruise on Reflection. This will be our 1st Celebrity cruise. If the reports of the deafening music prove true it will likely be our last with Celebrity. Nobody wants to shout to be heard and if you can't carry on a conversation in the public areas you might as well stay in your room. No $$ in that for Celebrity.

Been on two Celebrity cruisesd since January (very thankful to be able to do so). After our December cruise on Reflection, I was very critical about the overly loud music nearly everywhere. You could not escape it and you couldn't talk to anyone in a lounge due to sound levels. Our recent Equinox cruise was somewhat better given there was no rap to be heard, however, many places still had music volume far too high. When we walk into a lounge and can't say a word because you can't hear anything, that's an issue.

I sincerely hope Celebrity is really listening. A wide variety of different types of music to appeal to all kinds of passengers is great but when the volume is deafening it's bad for everyone!

Been on two Celebrity cruisesd since January (very thankful to be able to do so). After our December cruise on Reflection, I was very critical about the overly loud music nearly everywhere. You could not escape it and you couldn't talk to anyone in a lounge due to sound levels. Our recent Equinox cruise was somewhat better given there was no rap to be heard, however, many places still had music volume far too high. When we walk into a lounge and can't say a word because you can't hear anything, that's an issue.

I sincerely hope Celebrity is really listening. A wide variety of different types of music to appeal to all kinds of passengers is great but when the volume is deafening it's bad for everyone!

Hello Host Anne

Thank you for your comments , my wife and I sail in Solstice on the 22nd March I will report back as honestly as possible on this issue.

It does seem to have created qute a lot of activity here in the last few days , hopefully Celebrity is reading and taking note.

Best Regards

John

I will not be booking another Celebrity cruise until Celebrity's direction on many items important to me (loud music in multiple venues, removing public rooms from general use, cut backs etc) are resolved.

ABoatNerd

Hi Folks

I think this just about sums up the thinking of a large percentage here , people have been alarmed at the reports and are seeking a statement from the line on these issues, until a statement is made speculation and debate can do the line a great deal of damage.

All most people want to know is " Is it the policy of the line to play music throughout their ships that can be described by a reasonable person as "very Loud"

Please advise us yes or no then we can make an informed choice about cruising with Celebrity in future.

Regards

John

IMHO , NCL ''sound'' ambience might not be exactly ''subdued'' to start with.

If I go into a bar or lounge on a ship (that isn't the dance club) and it is not possible to have a conversation with someone within 3 feet of me it is too loud. Yelling to have a conversation is draining and not at all enjoyable. I enjoy lots of kinds of music, even at moderately high levels, but not to where it is overpowering to the senses. Everything in moderation. Don't turn it off, just turn it down a notch or two.

It's very possible that your Celebrity cruises didn't have any excessively loud music. Many of mine haven't either. The whole point is that some have and when they do you don't have to go looking for it. It's right in your face.

I'm a person who very seldom complains about anything, in fact for many years I've been accused of being a Celebrity cheerleader. I love all kinds of music...except maybe the accordion, and I don't mind if the music is loud in the appropriate place. Many of the people who are complaining about this are serious cruisers and have been on many Celebrity cruises so they've seen the difference. I don't think anyone goes around looking for the loud music...believe me you'll know it when you hear it.

We have cruised three times with Celebrity. Our two Eclipse cruises were fine in terms of the loudness of the music. Our Silhouette cruise was not. The music was so loud that it spoiled our cruise and we almost cancelled the second Eclipse cruise that we had already booked.

Oviously we didn't cancel and the music volume was not an issue.

The problem we have is how are we to know what we are going to find if we book another Celebrity cruise. The solution - we will now only book if we can get a very good cheap late deal. If the music is too loud it will be our last cruise with Celebrity.

We are lucky people with a good deal of disposable income but Celebrity won't be getting much of it unless they let us know in advance that we are going to be boarding a ship where the music is at a level that allows us to converse with fellow passengers.

I hope therefore that they will return to these boards and tell us what they are planning for the future.

You have it in a nutshell, Ma Bell. You're entirely correct in assessing that the problem is inconsistency across the fleet. We've gone on enough X cruises to make us Elite and yet we've never had any trouble with the music on any X ships until last week's cruise on the Reflection. I think the posters on this thread, and the others, who say there's no issue with decibel levels and steadfastly maintain that we're all crazy coots with imaginary hearing problems--well, they're the lucky ones who haven't hit the jackpot. Yet. I'm with you. When you hear it, you know it, and after that there's no denying that something's not right.

Yes, this is the point that has been made a number of times on these threads by a few people, but it seems to fall on deaf ears for some! I'm not sure who on the ship is in charge of volume levels. Perhaps it's a Cruised Director led thing. I'm on Eclipse in a couple of weeks when Sue Denning is CD and it will be interesting to hear what it is like there.

Phil

Phil, you need to get your facts straight, I've cruise more than three or four cruises on Celebrity. How many points did it take to be Elite...three or four, maybe for you but not for the rest of us? You have no idea what ships I've cruised on or how many cruises I've been on, but I can assure you it is more than three or four. And yes, my next cruise will make me Elite (thanks to Celebrity for the bonus points). Not picking arguments, like you are, just voicing my opinion and my experience of being in the music industry for over 30+ years. Sorry you don't feel that everyone can voice their opinions and express things they have learned over the years without being attacked.

I wonder if I could be impertinant and ask if you mostly travel alone or with a companion? You are by far the most vociferous advocate of having the music louder than many people feel comfortable with and I wondered if you might be a solo traveller.

I can well imagine that if you are simply sitting and enjoying the music it would be preferable to have it at a volume that suits you. On the other hand if you have someone to chat to it is difficult for many of us if we cannot hear what they have to say.

Edited by CABINET

Phil, you need to get your facts straight, I've cruise more than three or four cruises on Celebrity. How many points did it take to be Elite...three or four, maybe for you but not for the rest of us? You have no idea what ships I've cruised on or how many cruises I've been on, but I can assure you it is more than three or four. And yes, my next cruise will make me Elite (thanks to Celebrity for the bonus points). Not picking arguments, like you are, just voicing my opinion and my experience of being in the music industry for over 30+ years. Sorry you don't feel that everyone can voice their opinions and express things they have learned over the years without being attacked.

As you know you could become Elite in four cruises under the old system if you sail in Concierge Class. What has been said a number of times on this thread is that sometimes the level is fine, other times it's not. The more cruises the more chance you might have of being on a noisy ship. I've been on many when it's been fine and a few when it hasn't. If it's a trend that Celebrity are moving toward I'm glad that I along with others have had an opportunity to state the case.

Phil

I wonder if I could be impertinant and ask if you mostly travel alone or with a companion? You are by far the most vociferous advocate of having the music louder than many people feel comfortable with and I wondered if you might be a solo traveller.

I can well imagine that if you are simply sitting and enjoying the music it would be preferable to have it at a volume that suits you. On the other hand if you have someone to chat to it is difficult for many of us if we cannot hear what they have to say.

I've never had a problem with conversation in a bar/lounge or in the MDR, just as I've never had a problem having a conversation here at a concert, bar or restaurant. That might not be your experience, but it is mine.

I just don't see the big problem and others have posted that they don't have a problem with the volume either, just as folks have posted that they do (I especially loved the poster who said he didn't think it was too loud until it was pointed out to him LOL). If the music is too loud, just go to another location; just as I do if I don't like the musical genre, I move. My opinion is not right or wrong, just as your opinion is not right or wrong; it is a matter of taste and that is what people don't seemed to understand. Just because they can't talk and think it is loud, it doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way they do. We all have an opinion on the subject and should be able to voice it without any negative comments to the poster no matter what their stance on the subject is.

IMHO, crossing on NCL, give me LOUD! We were one & done on NCL.

Well if I'm going to take a gamble on whether or not the TA I pick blows my eardrums out for 14 nights, I'd much prefer they be blown out at half the price of Celebrity!

As you know you could become Elite in four cruises under the old system if you sail in Concierge Class. What has been said a number of times on this thread is that sometimes the level is fine, other times it's not. The more cruises the more chance you might have of being on a noisy ship. I've been on many when it's been fine and a few when it hasn't. If it's a trend that Celebrity are moving toward I'm glad that I along with others have had an opportunity to state the case.

Phil

So Phil, you are now saying that I always sail in Concierge Class - oh, how wrong you are. Granted I've never been in an inside or ocean view, but have had many in just a plain old veranda, which (correct me if I'm wrong), only gave you 1 point per cruise. I've also been on a number of ships, including the Century class, M class and S class. If you don't agree with my stance on a subject, then just state your case, but no need to try to attack me on how many cruises you feel I've cruised on or on what ships you think I've been on. I am really are not concerned with how many cruises you have been on, what class you travel, etc., I would just be interested in your opinion as to the genre of music played and the volumes of such music and how you would think it should be changed so that everyone can enjoy their vacation, not just a few.

BTW, I've been on cruises where people have complained about the volume of the music and I don't think the volume is a problem. All that means is that we all have different taste, not that they are right or wrong or I'm right or wrong. It is just called a difference in taste and/or opinion.

Celebrity needs to address the volume situation, where everyone can enjoy their cruises, whether they like the music at a low level or louder, they just can't cater to one group or the other, because either way Celebrity will lose if they don't find a way to make everyone happy. Just as they can't just play 50's and 60's music or classial music, they have to play music of all genres, so that everyone can hear something that they enjoy. Seems like there are only a few that are willing to have Celebrity compromise on both issues and that makes me sad :(.

I guess in the end, we will just have to agree to disagree on this.

Edited by NLH Arizona

So Phil, you are now saying that I always sail in Concierge Class - oh, how wrong you are. Granted I've never been in an inside or ocean view, but have had many in just a plain old veranda, which (correct me if I'm wrong), only gave you 1 point per cruise. I've also been on a number of ships, including the Century class, M class and S class. If you don't agree with my stance on a subject, then just state your case, but no need to try to attack me on how many cruises you feel I've cruised on or on what ships you think I've been on. I am really are not concerned with how many cruises you have been on, what class you travel, etc., I would just be interested in your opinion as to the genre of music played and the volumes of such music and how you would think it should be changed so that everyone can enjoy their vacation, not just a few.

BTW, I've been on cruises where people have complained about the volume of the music and I don't think the volume is a problem. All that means is that we all have different taste, not that they are right or wrong or I'm right or wrong. It is just called a difference in taste and/or opinion.

Celebrity needs to address the volume situation, where everyone can enjoy their cruises, whether they like the music at a low level or louder, they just can't cater to one group or the other, because either way Celebrity will lose if they don't find a way to make everyone happy. Just as they can't just play 50's and 60's music or classial music, they have to play music of all genres, so that everyone can hear something that they enjoy. Seems like there are only a few that are willing to have Celebrity compromise on both issues and that makes me sad :(.

I guess in the end, we will just have to agree to disagree on this.

Do you and Phil both happen to have LARGE pick-up trucks? :rolleyes:

We haven't personally had a problem yet with volumes on Celebrity. We cruised on Eclipse after there had been much talk of problems with volume but were pleased that our cruise had no issues. We cruised the Caribbean for the first time in December on Silhouette and found a good variety of music played on board, all at acceptable levels.

Maybe it's the joyful ads for cruises that I see on TV, but I went in expecting some sort of island music to liven things up and sort of differentiate the cruise from the ones I'd taken in Alaska and Norway. There was none of that. :( I feel like I got into cruising too late and missed that classic experience and that things are now in the process of being reinvented. I'm supposed to cruise on Reflection later this year, and I have to say that the Miami DJ duo sounds like a really poor substitute for what has perhaps been on board in the past. I have a sinking feeling that Reflection is being set up as the party ship of Celebrity's fleet.

Do you and Phil both happen to have LARGE pick-up trucks? :rolleyes:

I beg your pardon, don't quite understand your comment, please elaborate, since I'm sure that your comment is not meant to be a slap to Phil and I, since neither of us have been rude to you.