Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

To OCA REP: No - I did not "complain of every venue on the ship" - I just mentioned those that were simply too loud in my opinion because the sound of the party band or rock-type or techno music played by a DJ on the Grand Foyer WILL carry throughout the center of the ship. You may have had a different experience but this is an open forum where I CAN voice my opinion as well as others have done - and obviously I'm not the only one on this long thread.

After 15 cruises with Celebrity, not one under 11 nights, in the last three years I think we might be considered loyal customers to the brand. We still like the product but there are some things that annoy us. We have three more cruises booked with Celebrity this year and are tentatively trying out other cruise lines to compare, especially after others like Princess and HAL have changed their smoking policy - which was something we really loved (and love) about Celebrity.

A sampling of opinion from these boards is quite enough for a statistical survey.The people on cruise critic cross every income and age strata and it is true that those who post the most usually cruise the most on that particular line. Take presidential polls and do you realize that they are statistically correct within 5 percentage points and yet such a poll sampling is very often as low as 1000 respondents on a poll that affects every voter in the country? Celebrity is aware of the influence of these boards as does every president of every cruise company that is posted on these boards and hopefully they will do the right thing. Bad publicity on these boards is one thing no cruise line wants and publicizing that the volume of the music is too loud will have an effect. Now its up to Celebrity to decide what course they want to take. Hopefully it is wise one.

Rodan

Just had a thought. If the music is too loud and guest relations refuses to do anything, maybe someone with an ipad or ipod or whatever can play music, take it down to the guest relations area, turn up the volume and play it in front of the counter. Make sure you have ear protection.

Does the current Miami-based decision (evidently) on music volume also apply to specialty restaurants? I seem to recall the music in those locations was present but not intrusive. I'm unlikely to book a romantic meal in Murano if we'll be blasted by bass-thumping techno "songs" or for that matter, any form of music that is excessively loud.

Just encountered similar issue at the very nice Fix restaurant at Bellagio in Vegas. Was a great spot a year ago, but this year the volume of music was overwhelming. Staff responded that it was a corporate decision. Sound familiar? Fix is now off our list as a dining spot, sadly.

The levels in Qsine are so loud that one cannot communicate with the wait staff or fellow diners. The first time we ate there-on the Connie-I told the waiter that if he didn't get it turned down our party of 11 was leaving. I think he was glad we forced the issue and the music was immediately turned to background level. The next time was on the Summit. It again was overly loud and we got it turned down some. We were treated to our meal by staff-otherwise we would have left.

I do not recall any complaints about volume level for years until they started cranking it up last year or so. To my knowledge, before they did that, nobody cancelled or didn't book because of the content or volume of the music. Now there have been numerous threads-particularly focused on the S Class-and all sorts of dissatisfaction. Hear us Celebrity

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Recent discussions of Celebrity's attempts to radically change course include the "Modern Luxury" ads with only young models, substitution of "contemporary" music at ear-splitting volume, and occasional direct insults to older cruise passengers. Fortunately management is going to try out the most radical changes on only one ship, Reflection, for the time being. Those of us beyond the 50 year age cut-off might be tempted to avoid this ship, but that would be a mistake. If only 30 to 49 year old passengers rate the quality of the ship, management will think they have a winning deal and adopt these changes throughout the fleet. That may work for the "moderns" but will eliminate everyone older, who still make up a substantial (60+% on my recent Equinox cruise) passenger base.

I started sailing on Celebrity with the new Galaxy in 1996 and have sailed her sister ships, the M-class, and now one S-class ship. In 1996 Celebrity also offered "modern luxury" at a surprisingly moderate price. The food was always good, the entertainment was varied and often sophisticated, and the staff were cordial and efficient. I was shocked to realize, however, that my Equinox fare was very close to that Galaxy fare, not adjusted for almost 20 years of inflation. How could they do that? We all know-- by cutting costs to the bone which shows up in the lower quality of food and entertainment and the availability of service. Not to say that everything is worse, or that a cruise vacation isn't reasonably priced, but it ain't as good as the old days. Back then Celebrity seemed to appeal to a broad range of ages and most everyone seemed happy.

It would be a major marketing mistake to forget the importance of pleasing many demographic groups. After all, the "modern" affluent customers of today will be the even more affluent seniors of tomorrow. It would be a shame (not to mention the blow to the bottom line) to neglect us--oops, I meant them.

What do many people want on their cruise besides good food, excellent service and a clean cabin? A restful and enjoyable holiday. For many that means a well-stocked bar to sit at and enjoy a drink with with people you like and would like to talk to. If quiet corners are so rare that you have to escape to your cabin to find some rest and be understood when talking to somebody next to you without having to shout something is wrong. It doesn't matter which kind of music it is and what age you are. You pay a lot to have an enjoyable vacation - and if that is diminished because of severe cost-cutting in some areas and loud noise you can't escape you look elsewhere to give your money to.

Our last cruise (TA) on Equinox sent us more often to our cabin than we would have done voluntarily: but the "music" in the atrium could be heard throughout most of the public spaces - but we hadn't booked a techno concert every afternoon and evening. We couldn't use the library or the card room, the Martini Bar or Café al Bacio or the bar ( forgot its name) on the guest relations deck.

It's one of the reasons that we would like the S-Class ships because they're really beautiful ships, but the noise level is so high that we tend to prefer the smaller M-Class and have started to look elsewhere to give our money to. With the inflated prices for the 2014/2015 itineraries , the hassle with the customer service and the noise level we mentioned it may be time to try Cunard or Azamara.

Our last cruise in the fall on Equinox brought a similar response from several people. I agree with you, in that the atrium music was so loud (and so horrible with the same band singing the same songs for two weeks), that we excaped anywhere we could. One solution was to find wherever Sean Golden was as his acoustic guitar music and his voice was fabulous. However, his performances were the rare music that one could actually listen to and enjoy.

On several occasions, the music was so loud, we too escaped to our room on the 7th floor. Unfortunately the volume was SO HIGH that our room actually vibrated to the beat of the music. It was horrid and yes, many people felt the same way. It is one thing to have music at a volume where most people can enjoy it and also comunicate with others; it is another when people try to find any place on a ship where the uncontrolled music can't be heard. On many occasions, we escaped to the lawn at night, but in the middle of the ocean, it can be too breezy for comfort. However, it was more enjoyable than the constant barrage and thumping music noise all over.

I enjoy all kinds of music, but several nights the music was so over the top that it was horrible.

My thought is to take some videos on the next TA and post the video on you tube, should this problem remain. Hope others do the same. Perhaps a few comments from fellow passengers on the video might also raise some kind of response.

The levels in Qsine are so loud that one cannot communicate with the wait staff or fellow diners. The first time we ate there-on the Connie-I told the waiter that if he didn't get it turned down our party of 11 was leaving. I think he was glad we forced the issue and the music was immediately turned to background level. The next time was on the Summit. It again was overly loud and we got it turned down some. We were treated to our meal by staff-otherwise we would have left.

I do not recall any complaints about volume level for years until they started cranking it up last year or so. To my knowledge, before they did that, nobody cancelled or didn't book because of the content or volume of the music. Now there have been numerous threads-particularly focused on the S Class-and all sorts of dissatisfaction. Hear us Celebrity

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl[/quote

I forgot about our experience in Qsine, in hind sight I think that was why we avoided it on Millie even when offered a comp dinner.

This is not true.

We are in the 50 to 60 age range and the music on Celebrity lately doesn't appeal to us much as it seems to be targeted at a much older, or more generic, audience than us! Now this doesn't relate the reported shift to DJ's by the pool and lounges as we've not experienced that yet.

When we first started sailing Celebrity, around 10 years ago, they had fantastic party bands from the Caribbean that played great, pop, rock and reggae style island music depending on the situation. We've not cruised this season but it's been years since we've thought a party band was "great" and last year on our Caribbean cruise they had absolutely no Island music at all.

When we started they also had good entertainers in Michael's club (not considering Perry Grant as he is a different sort of unique entertainer all together) as well as great acoustical guitar player/singers playing appropriate soft to medium acoustic rock. Over the years these have been very few and far between and I haven't seen entertainers in Michael's club in years other than Perry Grant on one particular ship each season.

I corresponded a bit via email with the entertainment staff over this as we were planning on sailing the Eclipse 14 night Caribbean again this year although we've since had to cancel. They told us that they thought we'd like some of the music on the Eclipse this year based on similar comments to the above, but also that the music on some of the 7 night sailings was geared toward a different demographic.

As for loud music in the lounges: The martini bar was always a favorite of ours for pre-dinner conversation and meeting new cruise friends. In recent years we've found it is often too loud to converse there and we've often abandoned it for that reason.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer pre-dinner conversation over drinks that is a little deeper than just repeatedly saying: "What?"

I've only read the first and last pages of this thread but have to comment.

We're just off a 14 day on the Eclipse followed by a 7 day on the new Royal Princess.

I had read all of the threads about too loud music and no live music so was conscious of what would happen on our cruise.

The volume and type of music on the Eclipse was perfect almost everywhere.

There was a live band by the pool most afternoons, a great guitar player on the lawn and in the aft bar, appropriate music in the Martini and Molecular Bars , a fabulous string trio in Cellarmasters and the Ensemble lounge and a jazz group. (In addition to Perry Grant in Michaels) There was a good party band and the best DJ we've had on a ship in years!

I thought all of the music was fabulous, at a perfect volume and each venue had music appropriate for that place.

We loved all of the music around the ship.

On the following cruise on Princess however we found the exact opposite. The music by the pool was so loud that you couldn't sit anywhere near it (it was actually painful) and you could hear it all the way from the bow to the stern. (And that is from experience! :( )

I don't know if it's the difference between a 14 day and a 7 day and the demographic targeted but I have nothing but positives to add about the music on the Eclipse.

(However, the food and service were way better on Princess. There was a noticeable difference in the crew between the 2 lines. Celebrity seems to have cut back crew in each and every area around the ship. leaving the people working stretched just a little too thin. :( )

Just had a thought - Sue Denning was our CD and possibly responsible for all of the wonderful entertainment.

We've been on almost 40 cruises but this was our first with Sue.

She blows the others out of the water, fabulous, FABULOUS lady!!!

Edited by chamima

I hate to break it to all of you people who want to throw the term "Carnivalization" around....

But Carnival's entertainment far exceeds Celebrity's. And almost anyone out there who has traveled both lines will tell you this.

I choose to sail Celebrity and it is my favorite line, but its weakest point when I am comparing is the entertainment......

Carnival's comedy club, sing along piano bar, salsa/latin themed bars and production shows blow Celebrity's out of the water.

Before we start creating words to attack other cruise lines, maybe you should sail them, so that you know what the comparison actually means, and I know you did not coin the term, I read the other thread this morning.....

But given the fact that most people on these threads have been are chiming in with their dissatisfaction with the volume, and I have never experienced outrageously high volumes on Carnival, perhaps its the "Nouveau Celebritization" that you are up set with....don't pull down Carnival to make your point about Celebrity.

This is spot on. We have sailed Carnival many times, along with Princess and Royal. We are booked on our first Celebrity cruise for next March and are looking forward to it.

We just got back from a ten day cruise on the Emerald Princess and loved it for many reasons. That being said, entertainment wasn't one of them. The average daily entertainment on Carnival is much better. Carnival has its issues, but lousy entertainment isn't one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need music that isn’t too loud, let’s not forget Michael’s lounge and our dear dear friend Perry. While just the other day when I was having lunch with Judy, Perry was there and joined us. Who was alive when we all had lunch????? Couldn’t resist. :D:D

Seriously, we were on a NYE Eclipse and except for the pool deck, I really don’t recall any very loud music. At the pool the issue was not the band, but the music that was piped in before and in between sets. I honestly don’t recall any other issues with loud music.

m

I think it is a mistake to assume that current relatively low prices were achieved by any cruise line by slashes in service, food or entertainment.

Ships are larger today than 20 years ago and savings are achieved by economy of size.

Further, efficiencies are likely through use of the internet and business practices.

I am sure cruises 20 years ago were different, but all changes were not likely by slashing bennies.

We have been cruising for four years now and not noticed any changes to the negative.

Although it may not be appropriate to use a title based on a song considering the music debate that has been raging over the last few dates, the one thing that really bothers me is the willingness of board members, and maybe I have been guilty, is to make generalizations about the different generations (Generation X, Millennials, Baby Boomers). When debating a topic, people make gross generalizations about a generation. For example, people from Generation X (my generation) have been informed that they are in the minority and that the Baby Boomers are the dominate clientele (generating the most money) of Celebrity and that Celebrity should direct their attention at them and look at the issues from their perspective. On the other hand, for example, people from Generation X claim the the Baby Boomers reject all change because they do not want their "luxury cruise" experiences ruined.

I don't see the value in these sorts of generalizations. The generalizations distort the issue at hand. My socio-economic position, cultural tastes and interests might be closer aligned to someone from another generation. However, a gross generalization does not provide for this distinction. It results in us versus them scenario.

From now on, I will make an effort to avoid such generalizations. I think there are many issues that merit discussion but I also think we sometimes make mountains out of a molehill.

Just had a thought - Sue Denning was our CD and possibly responsible for all of the wonderful entertainment.

We've been on almost 40 cruises but this was our first with Sue.

She blows the others out of the water, fabulous, FABULOUS lady!!!

I think you got it in one! I don't see Sue allowing excessively loud music anywhere where she is in charge!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Ugh, this ridiculous subject again. I would like to thank everyone who speaks on behalf of Generation X (my group) or the Millennials on what we do and don't like when we are going on a cruise. Entertainment is not the reason I select a cruise line.

I believe that for many the complaints is not completely about the levels of music but the type of music. I'm sorry that the soft rock soothings of Celine Dion, Dan Folgelberg and the other soft treacle from the 60s & 70s can't be heard on every venue of the ship. For one, I'm appreciative that there is variety and I support Celebrity's initiative.

Soft treacle in the 60's and 70's, you mean like Jimi Hendrix, the Funk Brothers, and the British bands? Obviously you are confusing this era with disco.

Well, I've been on Connie 2x, Eclipse, Reflection and boarding Summit this weekend. I only recall hearing music at Martini Lounge and the pool, and sometimes in the atrium and sometimes outside Michael's. Apparently based on what I read it's also in MDR and specialties too turned up so loud people can't hear table mates, but I don't ever even recall noticing that there was ANY music in these places, so it's clearly not that loud.

It's very possible that your Celebrity cruises didn't have any excessively loud music. Many of mine haven't either. The whole point is that some have and when they do you don't have to go looking for it. It's right in your face.

I'm a person who very seldom complains about anything, in fact for many years I've been accused of being a Celebrity cheerleader. I love all kinds of music...except maybe the accordion, and I don't mind if the music is loud in the appropriate place. Many of the people who are complaining about this are serious cruisers and have been on many Celebrity cruises so they've seen the difference. I don't think anyone goes around looking for the loud music...believe me you'll know it when you hear it.

Our last cruise was on Eclipse and we did not hear any loud music. yes, even in Qsine. It was wonderful. There might have been some by the pool but we do not spend much time there.

I just don't understand this concept of loud music no matter what kind it is. When it is so loud, you have to shout across a dining table, this makes dinner an endurance test. It seems Celebrity is doing away with the quieter easy listening background music for some reason (a capella, string quartets etc). Why?

Celebrity don't just listen, do something about this loud music that is bothering so many of your loyal people.

Just because people don't complain, doesn't mean they like it. Unless the problem is really outrageous, I just keep my mouth shut and never use that supplier again, mostly restaraunts. I've been on many Celebrity cruises, We are on the Silohuettee next moth and we'll revisit the issue.. If it's as bad as many of the posters have written, we have no problem moving on.

I am sure many people have the same attitude, and I wonder how many businesses loose how many customers and how much revenue, when they don't even KNOW there is a problem. :confused:

At the OTHER end of the spectrum are the people who will complain (loudly and incessantly) about anything and everything in an attempt to scam their way to compensation. :(

It makes sense to me to be somewhere in the middle. Letting businesses know you are unhappy and at least giving them the option to fix things. ;)

If Celebrity CHOOSES to ignore the numerous (?) complaints from the demographic (45-75) that makes up 80% of their guests, they may recognize the economic downside too late. Especially in the increasingly competitive, and highly price-and-cost sensitive cruise industry.

During several different cruises, I have personally watched one party band and several different DJs, EMPTY a nearly-full Sky Lounge with only two songs.

BOTTOM LINE IS cruise ships are MORE THAN LARGE ENOUGH to have several different venues, playing several different types of music at different volume levels, attracting several different crowds, ALL AT THE SAME TIME. :eek:

Michaels, Quasar, Sky Lounge and the central atrium are ALREADY THERE. Just use them effectively and efficiently!

THAT doesn't sound as challenging/unknowable as nuclear physics OR brain surgery to me. :cool:

Edited by teecee60

Call me old fashioned but what happened to the Caribbean bands they used to have??

Just got back form a short cruise on the Celebrity and they had something called a Miami DJ. Which was a DJ and a fellow on a snare drum with cow bell.

They played mainly Techno music with other stuff mixed while the other fellow played his snare drum. One day a snuck up and turned down the volume. Several people noticed what and did and asked how I did it. After that we had little problem as the speaker close up were still loud and those further back were silent.

About the third day I noticed no one was sitting near where the DJ was. Why Celebrity hires a group like this is beyond me.

I have been told cruise directors have some say so on who plays so make certain you let them know your displeasure.

Wish I had known about the loud music on the Reflection. My husband hates a noisy dining room. We found our previous Celebrity cruise to have a very noisy dining room so it has been a long time since we last cruised with them. It doesn't sound like things have improved, only deteriorated! Hope this cruise wasn't a mistake. I'm hoping management rethinks the decibel level and leaves some areas to get away from the noise.

Wish I had known about the loud music on the Reflection. My husband hates a noisy dining room. We found our previous Celebrity cruise to have a very noisy dining room so it has been a long time since we last cruised with them. It doesn't sound like things have improved, only deteriorated! Hope this cruise wasn't a mistake. I'm hoping management rethinks the decibel level and leaves some areas to get away from the noise.

Our Reflection sailing from last Nov was very pleasant, no noisy dinning room.

Not quite sure if anyone complaining about this has been on Carnival recently. 2 years ago we took our g-kids on a 7 day cruise. We had pretty low expectations and were surprised by the quality and mix of entertainment, high level of service and pretty good food. No super loud music, hairy chest contests or drunks in sleeveless shirts.

Our last cruise on Celebrity on the 2nd S ship was one of our worst. Indifferent service and food was among the worst on any of our 20+ cruises. Total drop-off from our previous 5 X cruises. The upcoming cruise on Reflection is us giving X another chance. A lot of the negative comments I'm reading make me wonder what to expect. We're keeping an open mind, though, and we'll see if X wants to keep our demographics' business or not. Either way, I'll be posting a full review.

My question to you is how many Celebrity cruises have you been on? The noise levels are not bad on every one but when you get one you know it. We all get that you consider yourself an expert and what you prefer, but doesn't it seem reasonable to you that if there is a large group of people on a certain sailing complaining that the music is too loud, it might have some validity.

Back in the club program revamp 'discussion' they said they were on 8 points and only travelled concierge, so would have sailed 3 or 4 times depending on length.

You keep saying almost everyone thinks it is too loud. Does this mean you personally spoke with over 2,000 passengers to come to this conclusion? Or are you just counting those here on cruise critic who are complaining? Because there is a big difference between the two.

You keep saying only a minority thinks it is too loud. Do you have anything to support this, or are you just thinking because CC is a minority of cruisers than somehow because the majority here say it is too loud, they can only be a minority overall? (Strange logic there.)

So, I guess compromise is out of the question as far as you are concerned.

Seemingly from your side.

That might help speed up the response time at the call centers......

Some nice house music or some techno might get those Customer Service Representatives pumping!!!!!!

Kill two birds with one stone.....

Maybe Celebrity has the music so loud at the call centers that nobody can hear the phone rings......hence the problems getting through!!

Excellent posts and analysis on this current topic.

Celebrity, intrusive noise is something that many people object to today.

In Toronto, the GO train system is used by hundreds of thousands of commuters per day. Due to a huge volume of complaints from patrons being disturbed by intrusive noise, the upper deck of each 12 car Go train are now Quiet Zones - meaning no noise. People wishing to talk in a group, on the cell, or have music spilling out of their ear phones etc are required to sit in the lower deck. This decision has proven hugely popular.

This was not a decision related to the high volume of the sounds (the topic of this thread) - rather it was that a few people were disturbing the majority. Also people have responded by saying they are fed up with excessive noise in stores, restaurants and in the past on the GO trains. This is a recent example of a segment of society in a very large city saying NO to intrusive noise. Many on this GO system are the coveted 30-40 year olds that Celebrity appears to be courting and I observe most of them in the Quiet Zone each day on my commute.

Celebrity take note. While this is a small group on CC, it is reasonable to presume that many customers have been offended with the loud music and simply do not return.

As others have posted, it is to be determined if those repelled are more than those attracted.

I will not be booking another Celebrity cruise until Celebrity's direction on many items important to me (loud music in multiple venues, removing public rooms from general use, cut backs etc) are resolved. Meanwhile, I have booked my first Cunard QM2 sailing June 5.

It is to be applauded that Celebrity is working to changing their product - I really like the young urban professional foodie and interesting music scene - Miami is my favorite place.

However, no company survives by trying to be "all things to all people".

Regards to all

ABoatNerd