Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

See that is the difference, I don't think it is overly loud. You might, but I personally don't.................

Nope, just had my hearing check and I have no hearing loss at all....even after over thousands of concerts....thank God.

The above two statements say it all.

Being at your thousands of concerts your obviously well used to extremely high volume levels far above those the majority of us experience, no surprise then that you personally don't think the music on some ships is overly loud.

Elsewhere on these boards you have said in effect, if others don't like the genre or volume move to another bar/venue. That would be okay, except that on the ships where this excessive volume problem is occurring, it is present in every bar/venue, so you cannot actually move elsewhere without the same problem manifesting.

Thing is if the music in a bar is at a medium level, whilst that level may not suit you personally it will not stop you, nor anyone else, being able to enjoy a drink or conversation in that area.

On the other hand, if the volume is set at a very high loudness level, which many people either cannot tolerate, or don't wish for, they will be disadvantaged to the point of moving and will therefore not be able to enjoy those facilities.

If Celebrity are not very careful this issue will become as big as the smoking one was.

The above two statements say it all.

Being at your thousands of concerts your obviously well used to extremely high volume levels far above those the majority of us experience, no surprise then that you personally don't think the music on some ships is overly loud.

Elsewhere on these boards you have said in effect, if others don't like the genre or volume move to another bar/venue. That would be okay, except that on the ships where this excessive volume problem is occurring, it is present in every bar/venue, so you cannot actually move elsewhere without the same problem manifesting.

Thing is if the music in a bar is at a medium level, whilst that level may not suit you personally it will not stop you, nor anyone else, being able to enjoy a drink or conversation in that area.

On the other hand, if the volume is set at a very high loudness level, which many people either cannot tolerate, or don't wish for, they will be disadvantaged to the point of moving and will therefore not be able to enjoy those facilities.

If Celebrity are not very careful this issue will become as big as the smoking one was.

Yes, obviously I'm accustomed to loud music and like it that way.

I love music, as many others do as well, and yes it would stop me from enjoying myself, just as if you think it is too loud would stop you. When I'm at a bar/lounge, etc. I want to enjoy the music, just as I want to enjoy the company around me and if I have to strain to hear the music, it is not enjoyable.

The difference is, I think there is a fix to this, so that everyone can enjoy the music at the levels they enjoy. If you go back and read all the posts, not everyone has a problem with the levels. There doesn't have to be loud music in every venue and it is up to Celebrity to work that out. I don't think anyone who likes certain genres of music wants to hear it at a low level, some people want to party when there is music, while others like to just listen to it in the background - it is personal taste and everybody should be able to enjoy the music the way they like it.

You are so right, if Celebrity doesn't handle the issue appropriately, so that every passenger can enjoy what they like, they will lose. That is why it is so good that many are weighing in on this issue on here, so that Celebrity can see both sides and make their decisions accordingly, so as to not tick off either side. And it can be done and done easily!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I've never had a problem with conversation in a bar/lounge or in the MDR, just as I've never had a problem having a conversation here at a concert, bar or restaurant. That might not be your experience, but it is mine.

I just don't see the big problem and others have posted that they don't have a problem with the volume either, just as folks have posted that they do (I especially loved the poster who said he didn't think it was too loud until it was pointed out to him LOL). If the music is too loud, just go to another location; just as I do if I don't like the musical genre, I move. My opinion is not right or wrong, just as your opinion is not right or wrong; it is a matter of taste and that is what people don't seemed to understand. Just because they can't talk and think it is loud, it doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way they do. We all have an opinion on the subject and should be able to voice it without any negative comments to the poster no matter what their stance on the subject is.

My apologies if you felt I was trying to stop you voicing your opinion.

I have listened to your views and the views of others who enjoy the music louder and have revised my original opinion. I now realise that, unfortunately, the Martini Bar and the Molecular Bar are perhaps not aimed at me. It is a shame as I love the decor but have taken to using the rather more sedate Ensemble Bar so that I can have conversation with other passengers.

It seems though from what some posters are saying that now there are fewer and fewer locations on the ships where one can get away from overloud (IMO) music. If that is so it means that we will have to move away from Celebrity.

I would however like to know if this situation is going to be the "new normal" as, as I have said before, we had two perfectly fine cruises on Eclipse and one unacceptable one on Silhouette.

So of the music is always so loud "no one can hear the person next to them talking" at the martini bar, why do I always see soo many people around the martini bar talking to each other?

Oh, must be that only a select few have problems hearing, the majority sen to be doing just fine.

Loud music does nothing for this almost-30-something year old. Except give me a headache, and limit my hearing.

I've noticed in some higher end steak houses as well (namely Mastros) has added a DJ in the center of its dining room after 8pm. Who in their right mind wants to listen to obnoxiously loud music while trying to have a conversation over dinner? I don't want it in a restaurant at home, and I definitely don't want it what is supposed to be my relaxing vacation.

I agree with you 100 Percent.

So of the music is always so loud "no one can hear the person next to them talking" at the martini bar, why do I always see soo many people around the martini bar talking to each other?

Oh, must be that only a select few have problems hearing, the majority sen to be doing just fine.

No, you probably just haven't been on a cruise when the music has been loud in the Martini Bar. On more than one occasion we've asked for it to be turned down and they have done it. To repeat though, it isn't always loud.

Phil

I've never had a problem with conversation in a bar/lounge or in the MDR, just as I've never had a problem having a conversation here at a concert, bar or restaurant. That might not be your experience, but it is mine.

NLH ARIZONA, please send me an email... see my signature link. :D

You seem to have missed the point. It's not always excessively loud, but when it is, it's impossible to talk to each other. Fortunately you haven't experienced one of those cruises yet and hopefully with notice being taken by Celebrity, you won't. It's always loud in the Martini Bar( most people wouldn't complain about that) but there have just been some cruises where it is ridiculously loud. I would find it difficult to believe that anyone would enjoy it.

Edited by Ma Bell

My apologies if you felt I was trying to stop you voicing your opinion.

I have listened to your views and the views of others who enjoy the music louder and have revised my original opinion. I now realise that, unfortunately, the Martini Bar and the Molecular Bar are perhaps not aimed at me. It is a shame as I love the decor but have taken to using the rather more sedate Ensemble Bar so that I can have conversation with other passengers.

It seems though from what some posters are saying that now there are fewer and fewer locations on the ships where one can get away from overloud (IMO) music. If that is so it means that we will have to move away from Celebrity.

I would however like to know if this situation is going to be the "new normal" as, as I have said before, we had two perfectly fine cruises on Eclipse and one unacceptable one on Silhouette.

I don't disagree with you that there might be less locations with more sedate music and I think that is something that Celebrity has to address. But what I'm getting from many of the posters, is that they don't want loud music (or not in the bar/lounge that I want to go to) anywhere and that is what I disagree with. There has to be a place for everyone, so that everyone can enjoy their time on the ships.

Celebrity could in the Martini bar, have lower music prior to say 8:00pm and them amp it up after that, so that if you like lower volume you could enjoy the bar and if you like louder music you could enjoy the bar. I would bet that some on here would have a problem with it, because it is not always lower.

I would hope the "new normal" is not to tick off any of their passengers, but to enhance what they have. By that I mean, you can add something, but it doesn't mean you have to add it to the entire ship, they will have to compromise so that each and ever customer is satisified. Otherwise, as you say, some may choose to leave and go somewhere else and that goes for those on both sides of an issue.

Hi, cle-guy, I enjoy your posts.

Maybe you have been lucky enough not to sail on ships with the loud music in the Martini Bar. I know I haven't, but the fact that so many people have been complaining tells me that there must be a problem, & it should be addressed.

And BTW, you wouldn't want to be in my car when I am alone cranking Led Zep, Robin Trower, or AC/DC!

Also, regarding you signature, you might be able to go to Edit, put your curser at the beginning, & just backspace until there is no more space.

I posted this on the other thread.

A few thousand X loyalists have now read these threads and many will be on X cruises in the next few weeks if not this weekend, these cruisers are now aware of the loud music issue so they will be more sensitive to it and will be more likely to address it and confront staff to have it reduced. They now know it is not just them!

Cruisers will be documenting volume with decibel apps on their cell phones or bringing decibel meters on board. They will be talking with other cruisers on the ship and raising their awareness of loud music on board. I imagine passing around a petition during the Elite nightly get together and gathering signatures in the CC gathering will get on board attention from staff. One may even be invited to meet the Captain which will only highlight and escalate the situation.

They will be reporting back on CC threads on which ships have loud music issues and how the volume level is addressed and if not who refused to lower it and they will document the interaction and conversation accurately.

This will not fad away but be escalated if X does not come to some standardized policy fleet wide quickly. Someone who gets some crazy high decibel readings may get the press interested in whats going on and how X has dropped the ball.

Now that we are retired we no longer do the winter Carribean cruises we don't need to relax in the sun as we are not working and no longer need to vent and party. Been there and done that multiple times on numerous cruise lines over the years.

At 60 years of age I am now using cruising as a mod of travel. We are taking the Oasis TA this Sept 1st to Europe instead of a plane and will spend a month there before returning on her Oct 14th when she leaves dry dock.

We just did a Nov 35 day X cruise on Millie from Honullu to Singapore and then flew to Thailand for a land trip. We met many others doing similar, our friends are doing a China land vacation but sailing from LA to Shanghai to get there and will fly to Tokyo and get on Millie to do a Pacific TA to get home.

Many have talked about different generation profiles, Boomers are a product of the 60"s and are very difficult to control and contain.

I don't see this going away unless addressed by Head office.

We will see what Modern Luxury means shortly.

I posted this on the other thread.

A few thousand X loyalists have now read these threads and many will be on X cruises in the next few weeks if not this weekend, these cruisers are now aware of the loud music issue so they will be more sensitive to it and will be more likely to address it and confront staff to have it reduced. They now know it is not just them!

Cruisers will be documenting volume with decibel apps on their cell phones or bringing decibel meters on board. They will be talking with other cruisers on the ship and raising their awareness of loud music on board. I imagine passing around a petition during the Elite nightly get together and gathering signatures in the CC gathering will get on board attention from staff. One may even be invited to meet the Captain which will only highlight and escalate the situation.

They will be reporting back on CC threads on which ships have loud music issues and how the volume level is addressed and if not who refused to lower it and they will document the interaction and conversation accurately.

This will not fad away but be escalated if X does not come to some standardized policy fleet wide quickly. Someone who gets some crazy high decibel readings may get the press interested in whats going on and how X has dropped the ball.

Now that we are retired we no longer do the winter Carribean cruises we don't need to relax in the sun as we are not working and no longer need to vent and party. Been there and done that multiple times on numerous cruise lines over the years.

At 60 years of age I am now using cruising as a mod of travel. We are taking the Oasis TA this Sept 1st to Europe instead of a plane and will spend a month there before returning on her Oct 14th when she leaves dry dock.

We just did a Nov 35 day X cruise on Millie from Honullu to Singapore and then flew to Thailand for a land trip. We met many others doing similar, our friends are doing a China land vacation but sailing from LA to Shanghai to get there and will fly to Tokyo and get on Millie to do a Pacific TA to get home.

Many have talked about different generation profiles, Boomers are a product of the 60"s and are very difficult to control and contain.

I don't see this going away unless addressed by Head office.

We will see what Modern Luxury means shortly.

I have a decible meter and am taking on my Summit sailing on Saturday. I'll record Martini Bar readings at half hour intervals and report.

Celebrity could in the Martini bar, have lower music prior to say 8:00pm and them amp it up after that, so that if you like lower volume you could enjoy the bar and if you like louder music you could enjoy the bar. I would bet that some on here would have a problem with it, because it is not always lower.

You appear to miss the point and refuse to acknowledge the posters comments and concerns.

It appears what people are complaining about is not simply loud music but excessively loud music. Music that is ear splitting and leaves a ringing in your ears, head banging dance club maybe rave volume? Not sure what decibel level but I think people will be documenting it soon.

The other fact you ignore in your responses is that it is not constantly maintained at that volume it is random when it occurs the same as the response is not consistent some times they turn it down other times they say they are not allowed.

Otherwise, as you say, some may choose to leave and go somewhere else and that goes for those on both sides of an issue.

"The I-Team teamed up with local audiologist Blanche Blackington to see just how loud local clubs really are.

A hidden meter was placed in Blackington's purse, with a microphone on the outside.

With the meter, Blackington was able to take sound measurements at five downtown hotspots.

"Anything over 85 is considered dangerous," said Blackington.

She tested peak decibels and found levels up to 155 -- the level of a fire engine roaring in your ear.

Blackington also measured average decibels, or how loud it was over a period of time.

The readings came back between 118 and 133. That is like having a jet engine or a helicopter taking off right next to you.

So if you don't get to experience this you don't want to sail X, you have not lost your hearing but maybe something else?

We are taking about a public area on the ship not in a contained area in a club, people have to walk through the area's and no one is up and dancing to the music at the bars!

http://www.10news.com/news/is-nightclub-noise-killing-your-hearing-

Edited by baldercash

You appear to miss the point and refuse to acknowledge the posters comments and concerns.

Not missing any point, just disagreeing with their opinion. Sorry you don't feel that someone can disagree with you.

It appears what people are complaining about is not simply loud music but excessively loud music. Music that is ear splitting and leaves a ringing in your ears, head banging dance club maybe rave volume? Not sure what decibel level but I think people will be documenting it soon.

The other fact you ignore in your responses is that it is not constantly maintained at that volume it is random when it occurs the same as the response is not consistent some times they turn it down other times they say they are not allowed.

I have never heard "ear splitting" music on Celebrity or any other cruise ship I have been on. If you think it is "ear splitting" that is your opinion. I guess we will have to differ on that. If I ever hear "ear splitting" music on any cruise I'm on, you will be my first post.

I really don't understand your second paragraph, but I'm guessing you are saying some crew turns it down and others don't. Well, that is just like everything, some people follow the rules set forth for them and some don't.

"The I-Team teamed up with local audiologist Blanche Blackington to see just how loud local clubs really are.

A hidden meter was placed in Blackington's purse, with a microphone on the outside.

With the meter, Blackington was able to take sound measurements at five downtown hotspots.

"Anything over 85 is considered dangerous," said Blackington.

She tested peak decibels and found levels up to 155 -- the level of a fire engine roaring in your ear.

Blackington also measured average decibels, or how loud it was over a period of time.

The readings came back between 118 and 133. That is like having a jet engine or a helicopter taking off right next to you.

Well, then I guess no one should every use a lawn mower (85-90 decibles). And goodness gracious, never ride on a snowmobile (105 decibles). There was a sound guy that responded to one of the other threads a little while back, who said that the music played on the ship is not at a decible high enough to hurt anyone. I certainly wouldn't waste my vacation going around checking the decible levels, I've got better things to do and that is to enjoy my cruise.

BTW, the safe daily exposure amount at 85 dB is 8 hours! If you sit in the bar for over 8 hours, you might have something to worry about.

So if you don't get to experience this you don't want to sail X, you have not lost your hearing but maybe something else?

This is not a deal breaker to me, like it seems to be for some. I cruise Celebrity because I enjoy cruising and enjoy the Celebrity experience. If there is something I don't like, I simply move to someplace that I do. There are so many places on the ship and so many different things to do, that one thing like the volume of music is small in the scheme of things.

We are taking about a public area on the ship not in a contained area in a club, people have to walk through the area's and no one is up and dancing too the music at the bars!

Your opinion, which obviously differs from mine.

http://www.10news.com/news/is-nightclub-noise-killing-your-hearing-

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

I have a decible meter and am taking on my Summit sailing on Saturday. I'll record Martini Bar readings at half hour intervals and report.

Enjoy your cruise, but just watch how many martinis your are drinking while checking the decibles. If some don't like what you report back, they might say you were tipsy and could properly read the meter! LOL!

just off the Summitt. I havent read all the posts on this thread but I did read one which talked about the Martini bar.

our last cruise on the summitt was Dec. 2011 just before the S class upgrade. we spent every pre dinner night at the Martini bar which was previously located in where the Cellar Masters side bar is now.

It was a great spot to meet people every night.

Now the Martini bar has beed moved to a high traffic area and draws a big crowd. i guess this is what Celebrity wanted and I shouldn't complain that getting a drink there was near impossible. Maybe because of the popularity of the upgraded drink package, more people were drinking $11 martinis. now to the music. It was TOO LOUD. The selection of music was fine and actually a very good variety. it was very difficult to talk and you wound up shouting so that the person next to you could hear you. so now on top of loud music you have people yelling to each other so that they could hear. The bartenders couldnt hear what you ordered. You really couldn't engage new people in conversations. and i heard this complaint from many other people.

There's only one place on the ship to get the martinis served in the Martini Bar, there is no other place to move to get them.

Well, I guess this is where compromise would come in.

As I've said, we will have to agree to disagree and sorry that I can't agree with you on this issue, but we all have our opinions. I've stated many times how compromises would work, but if one choose not to compromise, then the problem will be an issue for them.

Edited by NLH Arizona

As I've said, we will have to agree to disagree and sorry that I can't agree with you on this issue, but we all have our opinions. I've stated many times how compromises would work, but if one choose not to compromise, then the problem will be an issue for them.

Wouldn't a compromise mean lowering the volume of music in the Martini Bar to a level that allows guests to conversate at normal levels rather than having to shout? Not saying turns off the music or get rid of it, but again, if you have to literally shout to have a conversation with someone three feet away, the music is too loud.

It's just an energy draining experience to have loud music compounded by yelling to have a conversation. It's not relaxing or enjoyable. You won't be convinced obviously. I don't know why you are trying to convince anyone else what is enjoyable or not either. It doesn't really matter that you have perfect hearing after years of rock concerts. So what? You're very lucky I guess. But that isn't going to mean someone else will enjoy it.

If ONE person said it was too loud and everyone else said it was fine, I'd tend to agree with you more, but the reality is most people find the levels too high for enjoyment and conversation, no need to tell people they are wrong. :rolleyes:

I have one of those too. I use it at home when we listen to hifi. I purchased it after DW complained about the volume of the music I was listening to. we still listen to music, and we usually guess at the volume. Now It is just a game to see who can identify the volume.

OTOH, those apps are suppose to be exceptional. Last week I spoke with a sound guy who was setting up for a concert and using his phone to check the volume. He said it is reasonably accurate.

Edited by TomBeckCruise

You can't be serious. A compromise is having the kind of modern upbeat music you enjoy played at a reasonable level. Seems to me that you are the one who doesn't care to compromise.

Edited by Ma Bell

We originally booked Celebrity because we were told that it was a quieter cruise line where we could relax more without all the music, announcements, entertainment around the pool etc etc. We are both really disappointed, if these posts are accurate, that Celebrity seem to be changing their 'identity' with all of the loud music, DJs at venues etc. If this is the case we will have no other choice than to look elsewhere for some much needed peace and quiet. If we wanted loud music we'd go to RCI.

:(

I have one of those too. I use it at home when we listen to hifi. I purchased it after DW complained about the volume of the music I was listening to. we still listen to music, and we usually guess at the volume. Now It is just a game to see who can identify the volume.

OTOH, those apps are suppose to be exceptional. Last week I spoke with a sound guy who was setting up for a concert and using his phone to check the volume. He said it is reasonably accurate.

IF you have a Android or IPhone, you can download a audio meter app that gives you a pretty good sound level reading. If all those with smart phones can take readings, then we can post results after we sail.