Cabin moved -Directly in front of elevators

GlennSue

Hello. We booked our Oceania cruise in April 2013 for a June 2014 sail. Our TA booked us in a accessibility room (although we did not request or require). TA thoughts were a bump up because someone will require this room. Well we got bumped down the hall right in front of the elevators. I am not happy about this at all. Any suggestions for my recourse with Oceania to move back or move to a more acceptable cabin? Thanks!!

I agree with Don

If you are on the O class ships there really is no downside

The cabins are fairly soundproof

If you still want to move you need to talk to your TA

Always pick the cabin you want to begin with ;)

An upgrade is not always a good move sometimes JMO

Lyn

Our favorite spot. Would pick one each time if it wasn't for the fact that to get the extended balcony, you need to move forward or aft. I would keep the cabin by the elevator and not try to move.

Our favorite spot. Would pick one each time if it wasn't for the fact that to get the extended balcony, you need to move forward or aft. I would keep the cabin by the elevator and not try to move.

I am happy to see that Oceania made room for a handicapped passenger. Many of the other cruise lines do not do this and allow the able bodied passenger to keep the handicapped cabin, or which there are very few and the disabled have to stay home.

We turned down an "upgrade" to a cabin directly opposite the elevator and were very happy we did - every time we used the elevator it seemed that the cabin door was open and everyone could see into the room. On one occasion, the butler was delivering breakfast and the occupant was standing with a towel wrapped around his waist.

No thanks, I would rather walk a few steps more for the sake of privacy. Noise would be the least of my concerns.

We have sailed in cabins right by the elevator twice on Oceania and loved the location; no noise problems at all.

We really do not have our cabin door open all that often for it to be a privacy issue (but then again we never have had a cabin with a butler!:).)

We recently sailed Nautica and had a forward cabin across from the elevators/stairs. I obsessed for a long time before the cruise about it, but it was not a problem in any way. In fact we really enjoyed it. No noise problems, and the door was actually slightly off the opening to the elevators/stairs, so no privacy issues at all.

After we got home, we both agreed we would book the same location again. We could just pop upstairs one level to the Spa deck and the hot tub (we were in a PH), so it was almost like having a private hot tub.

What surprises me more is that the TA was able to book a H/C cabin without submitting some documentation to say the persons needed that type of accommodation especially that far in advance.

Our friends sometimes struggle to get a H/C cabin (not on O ) & her DH definately qualifies for one

Lyn

The first thing you should do is fire your TA. They have no morals or ethics.

Could not agree more. Morally wrong and, much less importantly in the scheme of things, it was not a wise tactic for you, the client.

We turned down an "upgrade" to a cabin directly opposite the elevator and were very happy we did - every time we used the elevator it seemed that the cabin door was open and everyone could see into the room. On one occasion, the butler was delivering breakfast and the occupant was standing with a towel wrapped around his waist.

No thanks, I would rather walk a few steps more for the sake of privacy. Noise would be the least of my concerns.

No matter where your cabin is located, you'll be walking past other cabins. the open door could happen in any of them.

There will be traffic past your cabin unless you are in the absolute bow or stern.

As to the ethics of booking a HC cabin in the hopes of getting "bumped up"; the OP gambled -- and lost. Now, they seem to be trying to welsh on the bet.

.... Our TA booked us in a accessibility room (although we did not request or require). TA thoughts were a bump up because someone will require this room. Well we got bumped down the hall right in front of the elevators. I am not happy about this at all. Any suggestions for my recourse with Oceania to move back or move to a more acceptable cabin? Thanks!!

You're new here. But this is a pretty tough crowd that when it comes to things like an able bodied person booking an HC cabin. Oceania probably saw exactly what your TA was doing and responded accordingly.

Since you used a TA they "own" the booking until you step on board. Any hope for a recourse has to go through your TA and not directly with Oceania.

No matter where your cabin is located, you'll be walking past other cabins. the open door could happen in any of them.

There will be traffic past your cabin unless you are in the absolute bow or stern.

Normally, people walk straight past other doors, politely look ahead, and have no need to linger. People wait for elevators and pass the time by looking around. People meet and chat on landings. The doors are left open while the rooms are cleaned.

If your cabin opens directly onto the elevator/stairwell landing, not only does every single passenger on your entire floor get a view, but every person who is going up and down the stairs.

I think that your not realizing this is a guy thing, Don. My DH never sees much either, but I think most women tend to take in a lot while they are passing the time before the elevators or while catching their breath at the top of the stairs.;)

I think the ideal cabin for someone who wants to be close to the stairs, is one or two cabins away from the elevator. Still convenient but far more private.

...I think that your not realizing this is a guy thing, Don. My DH never sees much either, but I think most women tend to take in a lot while they are passing the time before the elevators or while catching their breath at the top of the stairs.;)...

Actually, I'm the one who tends to peek kn open doors while they're being cleaned, out of an overwhelming compulsion to figure out the configuration of all the staterooms (it's a blessing and a curse :D). However, most cabins are cleaned while the occupants are away. It would be an extremely rard situation that one would happen to be in the elevator lobby, looking in that direction, at the moment when room service is opening the door and the occupant is less than fully dressed (most grab a robe when room service arrives).

Besides, that would only offend the peeker, not the peekee, and is probably not enough reason to be so upset about the cabin location.

I say again, the OP bet on something that rarely happens on Oceania and lost. They should honor there bet.

While we were at breakfast on Regatta one morning our housekeeper left to get sheets and towels and someone walked right in and sat down in our living room.

When asked what they thought they were doing there the person answered that they thought it was a lounge and they liked the view from the back of the ship.

Hopefully in the future they'll just PEEK in.

Edited by orchestrapal

Maybe that's the danger of having a big suite! An ordinary cabin doesn't give the impression of a lounge, but an Owner's or Vista suite might!

But there's always that front door ...

Mura

While we were at breakfast on Regatta one morning our housekeeper left to get sheets and towels and someone walked right in and sat down in our living room.

When asked what they thought they were doing there the person answered that they thought it was a lounge and they liked the view from the back of the ship.

Hopefully in the future they'll just PEEK in.

LOL. Maybe I will try that when I am a little older. The owner of the suite will just laugh at the senile old lady and not make a formal complaint. :D

LOL. Maybe I will try that when I am a little older. The owner of the suite will just laugh at the senile old lady and not make a formal complaint. :D

Actually I was told it was a middle aged man and yes, it hardly mattered. Nothing taken.