I hate booking cruises these days

ghstudio

When we were on board the infinity last week, we were told that the 4/9 sailing was not available (charter?) so we were unable to book the 34 day back to back cruises from hong kong to Vancouver. This week, that cruise is available, but we aren't on the ship any more, so we can't get the extra OBC. But wait...(sounds like a commercial on TV), there's the 1-2-3 offer which expired or was extended and applies to some but not all cruises, there's the captain's club upgrade offer, there are several TA's making additional offers, there's some sort of celebrity combineable OBC on some cruises, and so on.

I don't know how others handle this...but I'm just stepping aside until the dust clears...probably not what Celebrity would like, but that's the mess they've created.

Am I alone?

Edited by ghstudio

I can definitely sympathize. Booking with Celebrity seems to have become unnecessarily complicated, these last few years. You need a Rosetta stone to decipher the codes and fine print in the promos -- and, so few things are combine-able, anymore. :(

That being said, I still love the Celebrity product, and my basic booking strategy still applies. When we find an itinerary, cabin, and price that we like -- we book it. If we happen to get a nice booking promo, like onboard booking perks, or 123-GO, then that's great too. If not, we watch for price drops, savings certificates, and opportunities to upgrade. It's worked for us, so far. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

It is amazing isn't it, and frustrating too! Just booked for December. First I checked with X website. Then I checked with our TA. Then I checked with an internet website. All three gave be different prices for the same requested cabin. Went with the internet website who somehow also booked us with a "group" which unbelievably cut the price and threw in $175 OBC! Today you really have to shop around and try and keep up with all the "offers."

When we were on the Century, the cruises we wanted were not available either (not yet released). The future cruise rep said we could just book this year's version and transfer the bookings. Which is what we did. We're letting our travel agent handle all the headache of transferring the bookings.

I agree that all these constant promos are a pain and have made booking more complicated.

I am beyond upset with Celebrity phone agents. The wait is way too long. Yesterday I tried to book a cruise. Called Celebrity. The agent was clueless and rude. I had a Celebrity promo that I got at a show on Wednesday. The agent told me that my promo expired in February. It specifically was for March 1 to March 10.. My info printed says it expires on March 10th. He also claimed that any ship that sails anywhere in the Pacific gets no promos. All Pacific ocean cruises are now exempt from Pick Your Perk. I was also told that my elite Captains Club status did not get me anything. I gave up. I did not book anything. My spouse was quite upset. I sent email to Michael Bayley. Got an automated message. Hoping that I am contacted by a knowledgeable polite person. I often wonder if I am dealing with the same Celebrity. On the ship, booking is good. Off the ship, it is unpleasant.

When we were on the Century, the cruises we wanted were not available either (not yet released). The future cruise rep said we could just book this year's version and transfer the bookings. Which is what we did. We're letting our travel agent handle all the headache of transferring the bookings.

I agree that all these constant promos are a pain and have made booking more complicated.

Not all of the future cruise reps are as helpful, or perhaps knowledgeable...but what you did, is the RIGHT way to do it!:):)

BILL

We book a cruise at a price that we are happy with; with the extra perks that are available at that time, to a destination that we want to go to. If the price increase after we've booked, we feel happy that we booked when we did. If the price decreases after we've booked, we mat inquire if we can take advantage of it,& if not, my attitude is that we were happy with the price paid when we booked, & you win some & you lose some. We do the same with airfare. It's called "life".

Yes, all the various layers of options, promotions, combinability, etc have made it very complicated (and it's not just Celebrity!) - it helps to have a good agent, or a lot of time to search. I've taken to telling clients the same thing I tell people who want to book guarantee cabins - book the cabin (or price/promo) that makes you happy, and if we find a better promo later then it's a bonus! Nobody wants to leave money on the table, but your time is worth something.

In the end, I often find that various combinations of promos always "net out" to about the same price. The idea to book the previous years' cruise aboard and move it later is also a good strategy.

Also, never look at prices after final payment - those last minute specials can sting a bit, but are rarely for the cabin you chose. You pay a premium for that certainty. I make it a policy to only look at higher cabins into which I might upgrade after final payment :)

When you talk to a planner at Celebrity who you click with, keep their name and extension. Then you can use them for all your bookings.

We have a wonderful planner there. She was referred to me by a equally wonderful one at Royal, who also gave me the name of a winner at Azamara.

At Oceania, the planner who took my first call did such a good job that we have used her ever since. The same with Princess, where when one leaves they give me the name of another. It has worked well for us.

These company planners know the intricacies of the many offers and promos, and put together the deals that work best for us and give us advance notice of trips that might work for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi. Please explain- What is the benefit of booking this year's version and then transferring? Do you pay this year's price rather than the future year's price? When you transfer, are you able to keep any promos that are available this year? I'm trying to decide if I should book this way. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a lot of you need a good, flexible travel agent to work things out. This means someone experienced you can talk to which is not necessarily a internet agency with the largest discount and perks.

While we usually use a TA our bookings are not all that complicated so we could probably just as easily book direct or through Celebrity's web site. But if we were trying to pull together a complicated booking like what some of you are dealing with then I think a good TA would be a lot of help.

We book a cruise at a price that we are happy with; with the extra perks that are available at that time, to a destination that we want to go to. If the price increase after we've booked, we feel happy that we booked when we did. If the price decreases after we've booked, we mat inquire if we can take advantage of it,& if not, my attitude is that we were happy with the price paid when we booked, & you win some & you lose some. We do the same with airfare. It's called "life".

I do the same. Get the cabin I want, at a price I'm happy with, and the perk available at the time I book. I'll check for a price drop occasionally. If I get one great, if not then I'm okay with the price I paid. I'm sure there is someone on board that got a better deal, but I could care less. I don't ask others what they paid. Not my business as far as I'm concerned.

Hi. Please explain- What is the benefit of booking this year's version and then transferring? Do you pay this year's price rather than the future year's price? When you transfer, are you able to keep any promos that are available this year? I'm trying to decide if I should book this way. Thanks.

No, the price has nothing to do with it. When you transfer the booking, you get the price available for that cruise.

What you do get by booking onboard is a one cabin upgrade within category (for example, pay C3 price, get C2 cabin) and there is OBC depending on the length of the cruise and the type of cabin you book. The deposit is only $100. At least currently, the onboard booking is combinable with one other special offer you choose.

Booking used to be so much simpler. Now it seems so complex with layers and layers of "specials." The mind boggles.

But we have all these high paid marketing types! We gotta have em DO SOMETHING! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

No, the price has nothing to do with it. When you transfer the booking, you get the price available for that cruise.

What you do get by booking onboard is a one cabin upgrade within category (for example, pay C3 price, get C2 cabin) and there is OBC depending on the length of the cruise and the type of cabin you book. The deposit is only $100. At least currently, the onboard booking is combinable with one other special offer you choose.

Ok. It's a benefit of booking onboard. I must have missed that. Thanks.

Part of the reason we only go on a cruise every couple years is that the process of booking a cruise is not fun. One is always wondering whether one booked too early or too late. So you have to monitor all the prices all the time. In contrast when we go to Vegas, we have a pretty good idea that our offer will remain constant. The hotels use metrics to determine spend patterns etc. and use prior trips to shape the offers. The cruise lines do not use these analytics so one is constantly looking for a reasonable deal that is offered to the general public.

I must be in the minority. I just book the cabin I want at the price I think is reasonable and then I don't worry about it. I usually book a year in advance so I can take my time paying for it. This time I was able to book during the 123 promo and got the beverage package and upgraded it. Works for me.

On a different note, is the 123 promo combinable with the shareholders benefit?

What you do get by booking onboard is a one cabin upgrade within category (for example, pay C3 price, get C2 cabin).

If you're at least at the Select level, you can also get this by booking with X on the phone and then you have 60 days in which to transfer to a TA if you wish to.

I must be in the minority. I just book the cabin I want at the price I think is reasonable and then I don't worry about it. I usually book a year in advance so I can take my time paying for it. This time I was able to book during the 123 promo and got the beverage package and upgraded it. Works for me.

On a different note, is the 123 promo combinable with the shareholders benefit?

Thats what we do also.Look around find a cruise we want to go on book it a year in advance make payments on it. Have a year to plan dont worry about perks or extras or what other people pay. What it is is what it is oh and we use a T.A Next cruise 4/20/15 11 day Hawaii Soltice:)

Update: I sent an email to Michael Bayley last Friday stating my frustration about trying to book using a promotion that Celebrity agent on the phone refused to use. I was also not pleased at the wait time to talk to a live agent. I was trying to book a cruise that went up the Pacific Coast. Agent said that I could not use any promotions because it excLuded transPACIFIC. I was trying to book a cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver. Since when is that cruise transPACIFIC? I got an automated return email on Friday. No response yet from anyone at Michael Bayley's office. The promo ended yesterday. I got a promo at the Philadelphia Flower Show that prompted my spouse and I to look at cruises. Celebrity wasted their money setting up a booth at the Flower Show. I only got frustrated and have not booked. Looking into other vacation options.

much easier to book an a/c through a travel agent..can even buy a car without so much confusion about options!

but now that we will only cruise once a yea,r we will pick the ship, itin and cabin well in advance and ride with the price we get...unless there's an offer that applies along the way--usually does not apply or you have to give up OBC or some other booking perk....