Maho Beach?

Other than a taxi ride to beach in cozumel, we've always done only cruise-sponsored excursions. . . but are thinking of doing Bernard's Maho Beach only tour next week when on Allure. Has anyone done this particular tour (which is shorter and apparently from Bernard's website, only stops at Maho? Any thoughts? reassurances about using Bernard's and getting back to ship on time?

Other than a taxi ride to beach in cozumel, we've always done only cruise-sponsored excursions. . . but are thinking of doing Bernard's Maho Beach only tour next week when on Allure. Has anyone done this particular tour (which is shorter and apparently from Bernard's website, only stops at Maho? Any thoughts? reassurances about using Bernard's and getting back to ship on time?

Absolutely no worries with Bernard!! We have used him three times and had a great tour each time. He is well known and well respected in St martin and runs a top notch business.

His drivers know when the big jets are coming in and will make sure you are there to see them and they also keep up with traffic conditions (which can sometimes be a bear in the afternoons) to be sure you are back in plenty of time.

I would not hesitate one moment to use him again!

Edited by GTO-Girl

I agree with previous poster. We used him last month and did the full tour going to Orient Beach, Marigot and Maho. It was fantastic. There is a great beach bar right there at Maho and we got a really good pina colada and sat and waited for planes to come in. Lots of small and medium planes and they the huge Air France plane. Wow, what a thrill. Even saw a US Air plane take off. This was really neat. Blew every away from the fence and down in the water.

I would not hesitate to go with him. They are a big business and lots of very nice buses. It was great.

Cheryl

Had a super day with Bernard. Stopped a few times on the way round.... including Orient Beach. Dropped us at Maho for lunch and came back at a designated time for us. Perfect day. He will arrange the itinerary to suit whatever you want. If you're only going to Maho you would be just as successful in getting a cab at the pier and arranging for them to come and get you for the return trip.

IMG_2880.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Had a super day with Bernard. Stopped a few times on the way round.... including Orient Beach. Dropped us at Maho for lunch and came back at a designated time for us. Perfect day. He will arrange the itinerary to suit whatever you want. If you're only going to Maho you would be just as successful in getting a cab at the pier and arranging for them to come and get you for the return trip.

IMG_2880.jpg

just do the cab, plenty of them around to bring you back. you can even catch a ride with other folks and chat with them on the way back :cool:

I agree just hop on a taxi. They all line up at Maho Beach waiting to take you back. The price is right too! No need to do a tour. The bar has all the times the planes start coming in. If my memory serves me right it is about 11:00 a.m. Just a recommendation, spend the money and get a lounge chair. Otherwise, the waves come pretty close to the road and everything will get wet if you leave it laying on the sand.

The only problem I foresee is that you will LOVE LOVE LOVE MAHO BEACH and will NOT want to leave........we did a bus to and a tax back and spent the whole day getting golden in the sun, with yummy food and fun. Got a picture of one plane going in one ear, and another coming out the other.............So much fun. My Fav Place Yet.

If your only stop is Maho you can walk into town and take a bus from front street for 2 dollars. The bus drops off right across the street from the boat bar and picks up on the beach side back to Philipsburg. Save your money for beers and food. Regardless its always a blast - literally

thanks all-we'll chat as a family and decide what to do. one other question--if you watch from the bar, is that different from the watching from the beach? saw some of the YouTube videos and don't know that having sand swirl around and blow me over literally sounds relaxing????

thanks all-we'll chat as a family and decide what to do. one other question--if you watch from the bar, is that different from the watching from the beach? saw some of the YouTube videos and don't know that having sand swirl around and blow me over literally sounds relaxing????

The bar is close enough to the flight path to have a very dramatic view. However, if you want to get closer, it's a short walk to get right under the flight path.

Another thought...why not rent a car? We were there a few months ago and the rental agencies are literally right at the pier. We toured the island in a clockwise direction, primarily because we wanted to end at Orient and spend the afternoon.

But if you want to see the big planes, you would probably do counterclockwise. This used to be a big no no due to traffic, but the new causeway is open now, easing congestion. There are tips for driving on your own on the St. Martin board.

At Orient, whether you do on own or get dropped off, Palm Beach is awesome. It is at the end of Orient, a bit less crowded...free cushy chairs and umbrellas and bartenders who serve you on the beach.

Do the full Island tour :), well worth it. Get "the Mailman" if you can.

Drinks are free on his tour and quite expensive at Maho, as they have a captive audience.

I agree just hop on a taxi. They all line up at Maho Beach waiting to take you back. The price is right too! No need to do a tour. The bar has all the times the planes start coming in. If my memory serves me right it is about 11:00 a.m. Just a recommendation, spend the money and get a lounge chair. Otherwise, the waves come pretty close to the road and everything will get wet if you leave it laying on the sand.

Where would we catch the bus from the dock and what bus would we be looking for. Will it say Maho beach on it or a location.

Thanks a lot for your help

Heimey

Where would we catch the bus from the dock and what bus would we be looking for. Will it say Maho beach on it or a location.

Thanks a lot for your help

Heimey

You can catch the bus on Back St., behind the courthouse. There will be a sign in the front window that says "Maho". The bus looks like a large VW bus.

DSC_0359_zpsc1ffe150.jpg

This is why you have to go to Moho!! I took this last year. See my review at

allure 1-6-13 with pictures.

Have fun!! great place to watch is from the Sunset Bar, good food and good prices on beer buckets!!

Caneguy

People get blown over when the bigger planes take off. It is really bad when the plane with the tail mounted engines takes off. Just be aware of where you decide to sit on the beach. If you are directly opposite the end of the runway, be prepared to be sandblasted and have your stuff go flying into the ocean. If you are closer to the beach bar, you will be fine.

My DH sat on the wall, directly in line with the runway, so he could get pictures of the plane all the way in on landing, including the underside, and he had no problems. On take offs, he wasn't one of the fence hangers, he stood closer to the bar to protect his camera.

We did the full Bernards tour and had a great time. The bar was advertising free drinks to ladies who went topless. A couple women must have had a few too many. One hanging on the fence with her short skirt blowing when the planes landed. She must have forgot she didn't wear panties that day! And her friend put her purse down so she could hang on the fence. Her purse ended up in the sea!