Mediterranean cruise itinerary/best

katrinacomebacks

I would like to plan a Mediterranean cruise with Oceania or another cruise line with medium size ships. I don't like the mega ships but I would like value for my money and Oceania has specials until the end of the month. This is out first time to the area. I would like to see some Mediterranean-islands but my husband doesn't want to go to the eastern Med. for fear of civic unrest and terrorists.

When is the best time to go to avoid the crowds and hot weather?

What is the best western Mediterranean itinerary for a 7-10 day cruise?

I have been to Rome ,Florence, and Venice, so would like to see some other ports.

The cruise which covers all of your bases (slightly off season so not too crowded yet not too hot, ten days long, and avoiding the Eastern Med. would be Princes and Palaces on the Marina, sailing on September 14:

map-sm-MNA140914.jpgAnother great advantage to this cruise is that the ship appears to dock at all of the Ports.

Temperatures are cooler in the late Summer, but the seas may also be more cantankerous as the Season ends.

1060.JPG

Ports where Tenders are used to ferry Passengers ashore are sometimes cancelled if mother nature isn't cooperating- so docking is a bonus.

Good luck, whatever you choose! :D

Edited by JimandStan

I would say late April to May & Sept to early Nov are good temperature wise

Greek Islands would be a nice cruise but I would avoid June July & Aug if you do not like the HEAT

I know you said your husband wants to stay away from the Eastern Med, but I want to suggest a possible exception.:o I am like him in that I am not going anywhere close to the Holy Lands. But western Turkey and the Greek islands (far to the west of Cyprus) are absolutely wonderful and not close to any violence. Santorini and Ephesus are among the most outstanding ports we've ever visited, and Istanbul is hands down the best city I've ever visited. Oceania has cruises that go to the area (e.g., Nautica departing 9/22 for 12 days) as does Azamara (e.g., Quest departing 6/2 for 10 days).

I would like to plan a Mediterranean cruise with Oceania or another cruise line with medium size ships. I don't like the mega ships but I would like value for my money and Oceania has specials until the end of the month. This is out first time to the area. I would like to see some Mediterranean-islands but my husband doesn't want to go to the eastern Med. for fear of civic unrest and terrorists.

When is the best time to go to avoid the crowds and hot weather?

What is the best western Mediterranean itinerary for a 7-10 day cruise?

I have been to Rome ,Florence, and Venice, so would like to see some other ports.

You did not say wheter you are looking at this trip for this year or next, so I won't get any more specific than some general suggestions (below).

First, I would NOT avoid the Eastern Med out of fear of terrorism or unrest. As someone who was in Spain when terrorists hit the Madrid rail system and in London when terrorists hit the Underground, I will tell you it could happen anywhere...But, the chances of it happening somewhere where it will affect you are rare. Perhaps right now is not the best time to visit the Ukraine...and Egypt may be a bit unstable...but the chances of you being affected by some sort of civil unrest in Greece while cruising in Corfu or Rhodes or Santorini is very remote.

As far as "best time to go", I think some folks are a little too carried away with the idea that they will be adversely affected by crowds if they choose the wrong time. Europeans, depending on country, vacation in either July or August...but most Europeans vacation differently than us...They choose a nice beach resort in Spain or Italy or Croatia...and just relax. But, will you find crowds in Summer visiting Rome or Venice or Florence? Of course you will. Will you find Disneyworld crowded during suummer? Sure...and you will find it crowded all the time. Popular places in Europe are the same. I have always gone uring the summer...and it has never spoiled the experience for me.

Weather is another question...Some people claim they refuse to go to the Med in July and August because of the heat. Personally, I have zero problem...because the weather in the Med is fairly identical to whaty it is back home in Southern California. I am going to experience the same weather no matter where I am. And, for those from other climates, you have to remember that heat in the Med is not like heat in Florida, for example...Far less humidity, much more livable. Just remember to dress appropriately, bring water, sunscreen and a hat.

The other issue to remember is that summer in the Med is the DRY season...Get too late in the year and your chance of rain goes up significantly...so, there are trade-offs. Best time to visit, if you can fit it in is May/June...But no other time would really scare me off...

Here are a few Oceania itineraries I like:

For THIS year:

Nautica Sail Date: May 26, 2014

May 26 Provence (Marseille), France 6:00 p.m.

May 27 Saint-Tropez, France 8:00 a.m. 9:00 p.m.

May 28 Florence/Pisa/Tuscany (Livorno), Italy 8:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

May 29 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 8:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

May 30 Sorrento/Capri, Italy 9:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

May 31 Taormina (Sicily), Italy 8:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

Jun 01 Corfu, Greece 10:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

Jun 02 Tirana (Durres), Albania 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

Jun 03 Kotor, Montenegro 8:00 a.m. 11:00 p.m.

Jun 04 Dubrovnik, Croatia 8:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

Jun 05 Koper, Slovenia 12:00 p.m. 11:00 p.m.

Jun 06 Venice, Italy 8:00 a.m.

Jun 07Venice, Italy

This one gives you a little of everything. You get Rome and Venice (which are worth visiting again)...also some small towns and some islands...Kotor and Dubrovnik are wonderful...and must-sees in my book. Corfu is a charming little island (and, no, you won't see anything resembling civil unrest there). Malta is incredible...

Next year:

Nautica Sail Date: Sep 22, 2015

Sep 22 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 8:00 p.m.

Sep 23 Sorrento/Capri, Italy 8:00 a.m. 11:59 p.m.

Sep 24 Amalfi/Positano, Italy 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

Sep 25 Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy10:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

Sep 26 Trapani (Sicily), Italy 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

Sep 27 Valletta, Malta 8:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

Sep 28 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

Sep 29 Aghios Nikolaos (Crete), Greece 8:00 a.m. 10:00 p.m.

Sep 30 Santorini, Greece 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

Oct 01 Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

Oct 02 Skiathos, Greece 8:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

Oct 03 Istanbul, Turkey 10:00 a.m.

Oct 04 Istanbul, Turkey

This one gives you some Greek Islands (no Athens, though--if you are afraid it might be unstable in any way) as well as a lot of Italy...Don't worry about Istanbul...it is a great city to visit...

Riviera Sail Date: May 03, 2015

May 03 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 6:00 p.m.

May 04 Sorrento/Capri, Italy 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

May 05 Taormina (Sicily), Italy 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

May 06 Argostoli (Cephalonia), Greece 9:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

May 07 Kotor, Montenegro 10:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

May 08 Zadar, Croatia 12:00 p.m. 8:00 p.m.

May 09 Koper, Slovenia 9:00 a.m. 9:00 p.m.

May 10 Venice, Italy 8:00 a.m.

May 11 Venice, Italy

This is a short cruise taking you up the Adriatic...Those ports in the former Yugoslavia are all charming and quiet (the war there ended decades ago).

There are lots of other itineraries on the schedule...I'm just urging you to not rule out entire regions based on some unfounded fears...

Edited by Bruin Steve

If nothing else, pick an itinerary with Sicily and, if possible, make your first visit to the eastern coast including Taormina. This island, it's culture and people are not what you've experienced in northern Italy. Better Greek ruins than Greece, mountaintop towns like Savuca (setting for Godfather film), seafood to die for. In fact, just skip the cruise and spend 10 days on the jewel of the Med.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If nothing else, pick an itinerary with Sicily and, if possible, make your first visit to the eastern coast including Taormina. This island, it's culture and people are not what you've experienced in northern Italy. Better Greek ruins than Greece, mountaintop towns like Savuca (setting for Godfather film), seafood to die for. In fact, just skip the cruise and spend 10 days on the jewel of the Med.

Hey, Flatbush...You wouldn't happen to be Sicilian now, would you? :) :)

Seriously, Sicily is nice...but, if I were to list my favorite ports in the region, it's not at the top of the list. Taormina is a bit touristy...the wives liked it as it has lots of shopping. Savoca was worth a short stop--if you are a fan of the Godfather movies. Castelmola has great views. Naxos (where Oceania ports) is fairly ordinary. Mount Etna can be a bit disappointing--it's a large barren volcano. I would pick an itinerary with Sicily on it, but...far more intriguing in the region:

Malta: Incredible history from the Crusades. The Crusader Church in Valetta with the marble gravestones making up the floor is just wonderful...The sail in...or out...of Valetta is awesomely picturesque...and lots of other intriguing sites on the islands.

Naples/Salerno/Amalfi: If you enjoy archaeology and history, no set of ruins beats what you find at Pompeii and Herculaneum...and the towns along the Amalfi Coast are quite charming.

Dubrovnik: One of the most beautiful walled Medeival cities anywhere.

Kotor: Another walled Medeival gem in the world's only warm-water fjord.

Corfu: Charming old city dominated by two Medeival Venetian fortresses.

Obviously, Rome, Venice, Florence well worth seeing.

If you want to do Greece and the Aegean, definitely keep these on your list:

Santorini: One of a kind Volcanic Caldera with those striking white houses with blue roofs.

Rhodes: Antother Medeival walled city steeped in Crusader history

Kusadasi/Ephesus: Incredible ancient ruins.

Istanbul: Really worth a "several days" visit. A city like no other...the seat of Government of multiple empires. History built on top of history. Part Europe, part Asia...

I am also booked on the Sept 22 Nautica sailing Rome to Istanbul. Does anyone know anything aobut Trapani and Cagliari? I've paged through some photos online on Flickr and they really don't look that nice or interesting...grafitti, really run down buildings. I've never been to either so I'm open minded.

Although we love cruises that go to Italy, we have a slight preference for the Greek islands and Turkey. I do not believe that it can be stressed enough to avoid July and August. A tour operator we had (in May) called those months "hell" (in terms of intense heat and crowds). We have had lovely weather in May on two sailings and excellent weather in October as well. While there are still a lot of tourists, the weather is much better.

BTW, there is a tendency for Italians to prefer Italy and Greeks to prefer Greece -- just something to keep in mind. I am neither and appreciate all parts of the Med.

I am also booked on the Sept 22 Nautica sailing Rome to Istanbul. Does anyone know anything aobut Trapani and Cagliari? I've paged through some photos online on Flickr and they really don't look that nice or interesting...grafitti, really run down buildings. I've never been to either so I'm open minded.

We were in Cagliari on a Med cruise in Oct '11 but weren't impressed. It could be our fault. We had tons of OBC to deal with so I allowed DH to take a few ship's tours (which isn't our usual pattern). The tour we wanted to take was cancelled and so we ended up with a substitute which was okay but not exciting, partly the guide's fault. We also spent most of our time outside of Cagliari so our opinion may well be pointless. We much preferred Palermo.

Mura

Hey, Flatbush...You wouldn't happen to be Sicilian now, would you? :) :)

Seriously, Sicily is nice...but, if I were to list my favorite ports in the region, it's not at the top of the list. Taormina is a bit touristy...the wives liked it as it has lots of shopping. Savoca was worth a short stop--if you are a fan of the Godfather movies. Castelmola has great views. Naxos (where Oceania ports) is fairly ordinary. Mount Etna can be a bit disappointing--it's a large barren volcano. I would pick an itinerary with Sicily on it, but...far more intriguing in the region:

Malta: Incredible history from the Crusades. The Crusader Church in Valetta with the marble gravestones making up the floor is just wonderful...The sail in...or out...of Valetta is awesomely picturesque...and lots of other intriguing sites on the islands.

Naples/Salerno/Amalfi: If you enjoy archaeology and history, no set of ruins beats what you find at Pompeii and Herculaneum...and the towns along the Amalfi Coast are quite charming.

Dubrovnik: One of the most beautiful walled Medeival cities anywhere.

Kotor: Another walled Medeival gem in the world's only warm-water fjord.

Corfu: Charming old city dominated by two Medeival Venetian fortresses.

Obviously, Rome, Venice, Florence well worth seeing.

If you want to do Greece and the Aegean, definitely keep these on your list:

Santorini: One of a kind Volcanic Caldera with those striking white houses with blue roofs.

Rhodes: Antother Medeival walled city steeped in Crusader history

Kusadasi/Ephesus: Incredible ancient ruins.

Istanbul: Really worth a "several days" visit. A city like no other...the seat of Government of multiple empires. History built on top of history. Part Europe, part Asia...

BUSTED! Both my parents were from the county of Messina, which includes Taormina. Perhaps my first trip "home" a couple of years ago had meaning for me that might be missed by others. Nonetheless (and though I agree that Etna is viewed best from afar - like from the Greek Theater), I prefer the temple ruins in Agrigento to Pompeii near Naples. And being a wine lover, I have been very excited about the young and vibrant - contemporary wine industry growing on the island. I do like Positano and the Amalfi coast on the mainland. But, my heritage drives me to introduce folks to Sicily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a port day in Trapani on a wonderful Azamara cruise in 2012 which had four ports in Sicily, a truly unique and wonderful itinerary, especially for archaeology fans like we are. From Trapani, many went to a nearby medieval hilltown that also had a cable car connection to Trapani, but we ruins people took a ship's tour to Selinunte, which was glorious. Others went to the ruins at Segesta. (Another port day permitted us to visit Agrigento and the cruise also stopped in Salerno on the Italian mainland, where we made an easy train connection to incredible Paestum.)

I agree with the ports mentioned. Too , the beginning of October is about the best time. great weather and few people

Now , another perspective, how many and how long.

By that I mean how many ports will you want to visit vs. how many are visited

One inherent problem with many Med cruises is that they are a series of 8-6, daily flat out ports.. You get up rush through breakfast, hurry to catch a tender or tour and run all day long and drag on board in the evening . The ship sails, and you have just enough time to shower, change and eat a fast dinner before you crash.

Each day thus builds on the next and saps your patients and energy. It becomes futile to try and enjoy the ship the cuisine or ambiance because your either unconscious in dream land or off the ship... You may only have 3-4 hours a day to enjoy the luxury's you paid for.

Try for a cruise that is not port-port-port-port. Look for one that has as many sea days as port days so you can enjoy and relax. Otherwise its a blurr after a few days as you sink deeper and deeper into exhaustion. More is less and less is more

Try to fing a cruise that is 14 day or longer... combine cruises if possible to maybe get 21 days.. Why? Its a long tiresome trip to the Med.. Take advantage of being there.

In May 2015 there is a cruise that you might like Istanbul to Lisbon hits the jewels Kudasi, Santorini, Sicily, Crete, Majorica, Cadiz, and is 12 days. Then It sails back 10 days to Venice via Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome,

This combo has a lot of breaks between ports, covers the safer areas of the Med ( which are getting smaller and smaller) and is long enough to allow appreciation and enjoyment of your ship over and above the ports...

Hi Dan. Which itinerary is that? I'm seeing one in May, 2015 Istanbul to Lisbon on Nautica but it doesn't hit Crete, Sicily, Kusadasi or Cadiz.

It hits Izmir, Malta, Tunisia (which is questionable from a previous post) and Malaga. Is this the one?

Thanks!

Hi Dan. Which itinerary is that? I'm seeing one in May, 2015 Istanbul to Lisbon on Nautica but it doesn't hit Crete, Sicily, Kusadasi or Cadiz.

It hits Izmir, Malta, Tunisia (which is questionable from a previous post) and Malaga. Is this the one?

Thanks!

Yes......

It is the May 20 2015 departure Istanbul 11 days Istanbul Izmur ( which is next to Kusadasi 15 miles north) Santorini, Malta...Majorca, and some Spanish placet to Lisbon....

Then it turns around May31/june 1 and sails through Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Marseilles Piza, and ends in Rome 10 days.... or something like that.

back to back save$$$ with air credit 21 days altogether...

That is the most unique med cruise... few ever hit Majorca which is fantastic for just the caves alone!!! I that I have seen all in super spring just before the crowds...

If it were my...I would buy the cruise now and have a lock on the price

good luck

I also vote for bruinsteve's itinerary. If you go to the Greek Islands and to Mykonos look at O's excursion to Delos.

We like to do ports DIY, but the Delos O excursion was awesome. Our guide was one of the retired archaeologists who had worked the site for 40+ years. He was tremendous.

Also, I rec'd this itinerary in May, especially to the Greek Islands. On our trip to Delos, the whole island was filled with wild flowers and then the ancient ruins thrust through them towards the sky. Absolutely breathtaking.

Santorini and Mykonos had wild flowers everywhere. The skies are lovely, the people who deal with tourists weren't weary yet, and there were few tourists.

Take the bus from Thera to Oia as soon as you come ashore. That's where most of the famous photographs are taken and you won't have a bunch of other people in front of you trying to take the same picture.!

Then bus back, walk Thera, and stand in line to take the cable car back down (I won't take the donkey.) In May we had no lines for the car back down; in September the lines were long.

It is a wonderful itinerary and go a couple of days early. Every port is more beautiful that the last one visited!! (usually..:)

Edited by cbb

I agree in spirit about the time of year and that the Ports are lovely, but wasn't one of the parameters of the Original request that the Cruise should avoid the Eastern Med?

medsea.gif

Greece seems pretty Eastern to me..., just saying....

J&S, you're right about the original request ... but several people posted that the Eastern Med is not exactly Ukraine these days ...

And they were encouraging the OP to reconsider.

That's all ... But thanks for the map because I've never been quite clear on what constitutes the western Med as opposed to the eastern Med, and was too lazy to look it up for myself!

Mura

J&S...of course you're right...but when did we ever let an OP's desires become important in our discussions?!!

Yep, I'm one of them trying to convince the OP's husband that Kotor, Malta, Rhodes, etc are not hot beds of much of anything except fabulousness and to please reconsider (and go there in May!) c