Who should I contact at HAL?

jaspersmycat

I have been waiting until my anger decreased to contact HAL about something that happened. I would like advice on who I should direct my complaint to and the best way to send the complaint.

A friend asked me if I would mind if he went on the same cruise as I. He would have his own cabin. I said OK with me. I did not give him any info about my reservation other than to send him the itinerary.

He called the main HAL reservation number and gave them my name and phone number and they not only helped him make his reservation but linked his to mine and then booked him on every excursion I had purchased.

My problem with this is how did they know he was not a stalker? Since I cruise alone this is really bothering me.

I have no problem with what my friend did but HAL should have told him to get my booking number from me before giving out information.

Am I blowing this out of proportion?

I have been waiting until my anger decreased to contact HAL about something that happened. I would like advice on who I should direct my complaint to and the best way to send the complaint.

A friend asked me if I would mind if he went on the same cruise as I. He would have his own cabin. I said OK with me. I did not give him any info about my reservation other than to send him the itinerary.

He called the main HAL reservation number and gave them my name and phone number and they not only helped him make his reservation but linked his to mine and then booked him on every excursion I had purchased.

My problem with this is how did they know he was not a stalker? Since I cruise alone this is really bothering me.

I have no problem with what my friend did but HAL should have told him to get my booking number from me before giving out information.

I think you are very right to be angry. That is unbelievable! You are not blowing it out of proportion. I would go straight to head office with this complaint, without delay!

I would be furious........ in fact, I WAS furious when something similar happened to us many years ago.

Someone I knew only from the internet, with my knowledge, booked a cruise on which we were booked. Fine.

What was not fine was, without my knowledge, she had HAL link her dining assignment to our table for the whole cruise thus inviting herself to be seated with DH and me without our consent or knowledge. I never told her our booking or table number and the only way she got that information was from HAL.

When I learned she had done that, imagine the position I was in with DH saying NO WAY, my agreeing and furious with this woman but what am I supposed to do about it? I had to say she was welcome to join us for pre-dinner drinks, join us occassionally for dinner but it couldn't be a threesome every night. We didn't even know her and this first impression was not boding well.

She became a bitter enemy and never spoke to me again.

She cancelled the cruise.

HAL had no business sharing our information in our case or in yours.

I would be furious as well.

Your misfortune did make me chuckle, however. On one of our cruises we had planned ahead with another couple to sit together for dinners in the MDR. We gave them our booking number, which they gave to HAL and requested the "link". They also gave us their booking number, which, while we sat at her desk, our TA called HAL and asked for the "link."

Guess what? We were assigned to different tables!

When you sent him your itinerary what did you actually give them? The first page of you documents or a generic link to the website for that cruise. Before you accuse them of anything make sure you didn't accidently give him this information.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I just sent an e-mail to the office of the president requesting a copy to be forwarded to Kelly Clark. I asked they respond to me to let me know how they would make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

I'll keep you posted if/when I hear back.

I think you have every reason to be angry. I have linked reservations on Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Carnival in the past. In all cases, both parties had to provide their confirmation number before the reservations could be linked.

I'd be furious, not just for the inconvenience of it, but because I would be concerned with my information floating around to apparently anybody who asked to be linked to my plans. No, No, No! This is not smart on HAL's part if all they had was a verbal request from just anyone and did not ask your permission to divulge the information. :eek::(

Actually, I just had a similar situation. A friend is doing a cruise with me and when she called to make a reservation, they actually gave her my cabin number and put her in a cabin next to mine - not knowing whether we were traveling together or not. That is fine.... but suppose it wasn't. I have to say this was not my PCC or any PCC, it was whoever answered the reservation line that day.

Susan

When you sent him your itinerary what did you actually give them? The first page of you documents or a generic link to the website for that cruise. Before you accuse them of anything make sure you didn't accidently give him this information.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was able to link our dining reservations with friends that we were sailing with on four different occasions with nothing but their names. Of course we all wanted to be linked but the point I am making is that they did not give me any information re their booking. I just passed the request on to our TA and she took care of it.

The fifth time we did it in 2011, our friends sent us a special number they had been given for linking dining--- not a booking number.

Edited by sapper1

I find this to be a serious situation and not merely an annoyance or inconvenience.

HAL is setting people up for major upset and themselves for very unhappy guests.

This should not be happening and attention has to be brought to this issue IMO

Edited by sail7seas

NO You are absolutely not blowing this out of proportion! I too would be furious as this def. is invasion of Privacy.. I think you did the right thing by sending your complaint to the Office of the President!

I would be furious........ in fact, I WAS furious when something similar happened to us many years ago.

Someone I knew only from the internet, with my knowledge, booked a cruise on which we were booked. Fine.

What was not fine was, without my knowledge, she had HAL link her dining assignment to our table for the whole cruise thus inviting herself to be seated with DH and me without our consent or knowledge. I never told her our booking or table number and the only way she got that information was from HAL.

When I learned she had done that, imagine the position I was in with DH saying NO WAY, my agreeing and furious with this woman but what am I supposed to do about it? I had to say she was welcome to join us for pre-dinner drinks, join us occassionally for dinner but it couldn't be a threesome every night. We didn't even know her and this first impression was not boding well.

OH my what Gall that woman had.. I'm shocked that HAL did that with you both..

Even in the 50's we had strict protocol for these types of calls.. The only time we would give out Psgrs information over the phone was if the caller identified themselves as a law officer or Govt. Agent..

Then it was handled by a Supervisor, who asked the caller all kinds of questions regarding what office they worked out of, His/Her Supervisor's Name, His/Her Full name & Badge Number plus reason for the call..Then the Supervisor instead of calling the call back number given, called the Main Phone Number of the Precinct/Office & asked for verification that the Officer/Agent worked there.. Finally, the Original Officer could be contacted with all info.. Occasionally the reason for the call could not be given, especially by an FBI Officer, but we still called the main number of the office for verification..

I would bet my last dollar that HAL has such a protocol which was not followed by the Agent..

Betty

HAL are totally ignoring the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights which protects the personal data of individuals. As a Dutch company, I'm sure they are governed by this?

Whatever, their behaviour is disgraceful and unacceptable.

Edited by chrispb

I just got this form letter:

"Thank you for contacting the Office of the President at Holland America Line. On behalf of our CEO, we greatly appreciate the time you have taken to write to us. We endeavor to provide our guests with the highest level of service, and respond to all correspondence in the date order it is received. Once Mr. Kruse has reviewed your comments and our team has had an opportunity to investigate and research your concerns, you will be sent a response by mail. Mr. Kruse appreciates this opportunity to review your correspondence and we thank you for your patience. You will be hearing from us soon.

If you find it necessary to contact us in the meantime, please refer to your booking number."

They included my booking number in the subject which I had left off the original e-mail. Will keep you posted when I get a non-form response.

I agree with you - you are not blowing the situation out of proportion. I had a similar situation, although not as bad as yours, on another cruiseline.

We were traveling with friends and their PCC told them that our guarantee cabin had been assigned and gave them the number. Now, I would have told our friends but I felt it was totally wrong of the cruiseline to tell them. This information is confidential IMO.

I am glad for your sake that she decided to cancel the cruise.

Holy Nellie!

Not only is it against privacy laws and bad passenger relations, they are opening themselves to potential suits. I hope someone at HAL takes it seriously enough to retrain some people and to come clean with you.

The closest I've been to this is when I made both our and my friend's reservation on our Christmas cruise. But then I had both the reservation locators LOL.

I have to say that I am shocked at what I have read. I have always been told that I need booking numbers to link us for dining.

frankly I find this a bit scary - I do hope it gets fixed in one big hurry

What HAL did is a terrible violation of privacy and I would hope this type of action is brought to the attention of everyone who links books, dining, etc. so it doesn't happen again.

I made plans to dine with someone in the Pinnacle for a recent cruise. She made the reservation first, then emailed me her booking number and then I called and asked that we be seated together. I had her booking number to gove to HAL.

You are definitely NOT overreacting. As a woman who travels alone, I am appalled at the very idea that my information, cabin number, dining arrangements, can so easily be passed to another without my knowledge or consent.

HAL needs to take a very hard look at their policy & procedures in regard to disseminating private information.

And to think, there have been posts that general information on the numbers of kids to be on a cruise has been refused, but information specific to a person is released???

Not acceptable.

Not a good situation, I agree.

I also wonder what information was on the itinerary OP sent the man. On many cruises we have wanted by mutual agreement to linked for dining purposes with friends. I have ALWAYS been required to provide their booking number - and they needed ours for their TA. Without both of these HAL would not link them. We both had to ask.