Prices drop selective upgrades given

cruzsnooze

The prices on my April 5 cruise have fallen dramatically. Many people on my roll call were able to get upgraded. I called last week to upgrade to Concierge level which was much less the my balcony cabin but no.

I have a veranda and the Concierge is now cheaper. They said tough because i didn't want to lose my OBC . This will be probably be my last celebrity cruise because of their lousy customer service. I am elite status because of my RCl status so i thought I'd give celebrity a try. I not only get to loose a bundle I don't get the extra credits a concierge class would give and i paid a lot more for my veranda. Celebrity, tell me again why concierge earns more cruise days when it costs less?

And Celerity why did you allow some people to upgrade without loosing their OBC and not others? Do you not realize that with the advent of these boards we all know everything :) and it causes hard feelings?

The prices on my April 5 cruise have fallen dramatically. Many people on my roll call were able to get upgraded. I called last week to upgrade to Concierge level which was much less the my balcony cabin but no.

I have a veranda and the Concierge is now cheaper. They said tough because i didn't want to lose my OBC . This will be probably be my last celebrity cruise because of their lousy customer service. I am elite status because of my RCl status so i thought I'd give celebrity a try. I not only get to loose a bundle I don't get the extra credits a concierge class would give and i paid a lot more for my veranda. Celebrity, tell me again why concierge earns more cruise days when it costs less?

And Celerity why did you allow some people to upgrade without loosing their OBC and not others? Do you not realize that with the advent of these boards we all know everything :) and it causes hard feelings?

I feel for you but this is simply a case of buyers remorse as you were obviously happy with the price at one stage otherwise you wouldn't have booked. I suggest get yourself a good TA that can help obtain these upgrades and do all the work for you. As I said, you were happy with the price once, so enjoy your cruise and forget the grief. Cheers:D

Perhaps the OBC that they others have is from a TA and not Celebrity. You might not be comparing apples to apples. For instance perhaps your OBC is part of the 123 Prom/pick your perk which might be available with the special pricing.

Are you sure that it is really different with RCL?

You can sometimes get really good last minute deals, but they are not always combinable with other programs.

To answer you questions usually Concierge Class costs more than a balcony. Since Celebrity has offered to allow you to book at the low price with the any special program available today for any new booking IMO "hard feelings" are not really justified. You seem to except to compare the best of both offers (you old booking and a new booking). You have to make a choice and you did.

I recommend that you enjoy your cruise and accept your choice.

Edited by jagoffee

I have a resident special OBC. I don't use TA'S because i like to keep control of my booking. The new pricing is based on a calif resident special. It's hard not to be upset when we're talking $600 difference, not petty cash. I will enjoy my cruise that I over paid but I learned an expensive lesson not to book any Celebrity cruise until after final payment. Celebrity should consider the hard feelings they are causing with this because the market is saturated with cruises right now and it's easy to look else where.

I asked for a very minor adjustment which would have cost them nothing. I asked for the 5 pts per night for concierge and leave me in my balcony since the concierge was less expensive then my balcony. After all isn't the new point system designed to reward for price paid not number of nights? That would have been a win win for both of us. But since they said no I now feel Celebrity is not customer service oriented. It's my feeling, right , wrong, it's mine to feel.

And the estimated wait time on hold when you call them is outrageous.

Edited by cruzsnooze

It's my feeling, right , wrong, it's mine to feel.

You can feel what ever you feel, but your asking for something I've never heard being done. If I understand you, you want concierge points but you want to say in a veranda cabin!? Points are based on category, not price.

Are you sure you OBC is based on residency? Pricing yes, but not OBC

Celebrity's policy for "upgrades" after final payment is well known. After final payment, if you want to upgrade, the category you want to upgrade to must be at least $1 more than you paid for your cabin. So, unfortunately, one can wind up in the OP's situation where one cannot upgrade because the category above your cabin is now priced lower than you paid. Its unfortunate but it is what it is. You could upgrade to a category that costs more.

I had this happen on my recent TA. I had an inside GTY and luckily I religiously monitored the prices before final and negotiated three price drops and after final was able to upgrade to a balcony GTY for only a small amount. But had I not monitored the prices I would not have been able to do this because the balcony GTY, after final payment, was less than my original price on the inside GTY!!

My decision after that was to always wait until after final payment to book a cabin. The other alternative is to never look at pricing for your cruise after final payment. Unless you want to see about upgrading to a suite....

Celebrity's policy for "upgrades" after final payment is well known. After final payment, if you want to upgrade, the category you want to upgrade to must be at least $1 more than you paid for your cabin. So, unfortunately, one can wind up in the OP's situation where one cannot upgrade because the category above your cabin is now priced lower than you paid. Its unfortunate but it is what it is. You could upgrade to a category that costs more.

I had this happen on my recent TA. I had an inside GTY and luckily I religiously monitored the prices before final and negotiated three price drops and after final was able to upgrade to a balcony GTY for only a small amount. But had I not monitored the prices I would not have been able to do this because the balcony GTY, after final payment, was less than my original price on the inside GTY!!

My decision after that was to always wait until after final payment to book a cabin. The other alternative is to never look at pricing for your cruise after final payment. Unless you want to see about upgrading to a suite....

Starting with an inside cabin there's no place to go but up. I sail in at least a balcony, but that has backfired. I will never book with Celebrity before final payment again. There is the very real and great possibility that I will have booked something with a competitor because i hate to wait until the last 30 days.

I've seen prices drop as the cruise line discounts in order to fill those last few cabins, particularly once shoulder-season hits. I've also seen prices go way up.

One example is my 7 night Adriatic to Aegean Cruise on the Celebrity Equinox this June. At one point in time, an inside was $1159. Now, an inside is $2049.

By watching, we were able to move last summer to balcony cabins for the same as an inside. Now, that balcony cabin goes for $2799!

This is after final payment!

My February cruise also doubled in price. By booking over a year out, I've gotten the room I wanted and been able to watch for price drops and specials. Once final payment comes, I stop checking as much. I generally have a room I like, so there is no point in watching. If someone on my roll call announces upgrades, I might see about one, but knowing Celebrity's policies, I generally don't since I don't want to risk my room, price and perks.

I've seen prices drop as the cruise line discounts in order to fill those last few cabins, particularly once shoulder-season hits. I've also seen prices go way up.

One example is my 7 night Adriatic to Aegean Cruise on the Celebrity Equinox this June. At one point in time, an inside was $1159. Now, an inside is $2049.

By watching, we were able to move last summer to balcony cabins for the same as an inside. Now, that balcony cabin goes for $2799!

This is after final payment!

My February cruise also doubled in price. By booking over a year out, I've gotten the room I wanted and been able to watch for price drops and specials. Once final payment comes, I stop checking as much. I generally have a room I like, so there is no point in watching. If someone on my roll call announces upgrades, I might see about one, but knowing Celebrity's policies, I generally don't since I don't want to risk my room, price and perks.

I agree with this, but some of it apparently depends on what room category you have booked. My cruise leaves in 13 days. The price now is the same that we paid for it in August. We are AQ. The regular balcony prices have dropped, but AQ and CC have stayed the same. And I don't think the price I paid was rock bottom. It was decent, obviously because I booked it, but it is not jaw dropping.

Edited by cruzinlisa

Well if your an RCI loyalist, you certainly know very well that RCI plays the shell game too in regards to making changes after the final payment date, and also before. I have taken over 40 cruises w/RCI and have watched the company evolve while both declining and improving at the same time.....But still love cruising.....I also understand that the cheap fare game is just that... a game and sometimes you win sometimes not.

May I make a suggestion? I took my first Celebrity cruise two weeks ago....WOW! Way way different than RCI....Give Celebrity a chance.

I was thoroughly impressed with the culture and service....So relaxing

Looking forward to my second Celebrity cruise on the Reflection.

So you are Elite on your first Celebrity cruise based on your Royal Caribbean status? That is great. Really, how many other cruise companies would do this for you? I love being Elite. Enjoy it.

Have you looked at how many Captain's Club points you'll have to earn to go from newbie to Elite Plus? It is an awful lot of points for somebody who books balcony cabins and also sails other lines.

Have you looked at the difference in perks between Elite and Elite Plus? I have, and really for me the additional Elite Plus perks are a big deal. I will not intend make a special effort ask for special point deals in an effort to make Elite Plus faster.

Over the years, I have chosen the cabin that makes me happy, not the cabin that earns the most Captain's Club points. Multiple times we have paid more to sail in a nice big FV's, though a cheaper CC would have advanced our Captain's Club status faster. It is about category, not price. I may get to Elite Plus one day, but Elite is wonderful. Remember to be grateful for all you have now.

No I haven't looked at the difference btwn Elite and Elite PLus. We enjoy being Diamond plus on RCI though. I do not plan on any RCI cruises for a while as I love my new discovery........CELEBRITY!

To be able to get to Elite plus we'll have to start from ZERO.... AH BOOO!!!

Oh well, being Elite by Proxy is just fine right now!:):)

No I haven't looked at the difference btwn Elite and Elite PLus. We enjoy being Diamond plus on RCI though. I do not plan on any RCI cruises for a while as I love my new discovery........CELEBRITY!

To be able to get to Elite plus we'll have to start from ZERO.... AH BOOO!!!

Oh well, being Elite by Proxy is just fine right now!:):)

It is a delight to read your happy posts. I made Elite on Celebrity and enjoyed Diamond benefits on RCI. I really enjoy both lines, and, if one sails often, mixing it up can be great. I very much appreciated the reciprocity, and I am glad you are loving it, too.

That said, my earlier post was directed toward the OP, not toward you. If I understand the OP correctly, the OP (though Elite via reciprocity) asked for extra Captain's Club points even if the OP stayed in a regular veranda. It might be worth experiencing Celebrity and finding if it "fits" before getting bent out of shape over points. It seems to me that if Elite by reciprocity, the points don't much matter until one is approaching E Plus. Until then, enjoy the journey.

Edited by Starry Eyes

It is a delight to read your happy posts. I made Elite on Celebrity and enjoyed Diamond benefits on RCI. I really enjoy both lines, and, if one sails often, mixing it up can be great. I very much appreciated the reciprocity, and I am glad you are loving it, too.

It seems to me that if Elite by reciprocity, the points don't much matter until one is approaching E Plus. Until then, enjoy the journey.

I have sailed Celebrity Xpedition and Azamara which yielded pts and a few celebrity cruises long long ago that added to almost 300 pts when the conversion happened. Because celebrity has better perks at the 750 pt level it makes sense to accumulate points that you've paid for. When I pay much more for a veranda then what the Concierge costs I feel cheated. It doesn't matter if my feelings are right or justified, it's my feelings. Their new way of yielding points is based on price which USUALLY is associated with cabin class. If the point system wasn't based on cabin class and everyone got 1 pt per night then this discussion wouldn't be happening. If Celebrity truly wanted to keep a loyal customer base they would consider their customers feelings and honor a reasonable request. I never asked for a penny in reduction of my fare, just the perk of the few points that could have been mine had i booked after final payment. My cruise after this April 5 one is on Princess, but could have easily been Celebrity.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Oh, thanks for the clarification. When I read " I am elite status because of my RCl status so i thought I'd give celebrity a try," I thought you were new to Celebrity. Like me, you have many points, but seem to be a long way from Elite Plus. Maybe those extra E+ perks will mean a lot to you; to me they are trivial.

Your feelings are, indeed, your feelings. Fine. Still, the points are not based on prices; they are based on category and nights. A family veranda cabin typically garners a higher price than CC or AQ, but only gets the points of a regular veranda. An a high demand, expensive 7N holiday cruise in an oceanview cabin gets the same points as an inexpensive, off peak inside cabin for 7N. And for the same category and length, the points are the same on the newest ship on a high demand itinerary as for an older ship on a less desirable itinerary. No matter how you feel, price paid does not equal points earned. If they wanted the points to be based on dollars spent, the company easily could have designed the system as such; they did not.

On some of my cruises, I have watched prices drop after final payment. On others I have watched them rise. Once or twice I waited, expecting prices to drop after final payment; instead they rose dramatically, so I did not sail. I guess Carnival likely still has some early saver rate (or whatever its called) that allows one to get price drops (with whatever strings attached), but I do not generally wish to sail Carnival, so it does not help me. If you find a line that meets all your pricing and sailing expectations every time, you are one lucky cruiser...at least until that line changes the rules!

Try to enjoy your cruise.

I have sailed Celebrity Xpedition and Azamara which yielded pts and a few celebrity cruises long long ago that added to almost 300 pts when the conversion happened. Because celebrity has better perks at the 750 pt level it makes sense to accumulate points that you've paid for. When I pay much more for a veranda then what the Concierge costs I feel cheated. It doesn't matter if my feelings are right or justified, it's my feelings. Their new way of yielding points is based on price which USUALLY is associated with cabin class. If the point system wasn't based on cabin class and everyone got 1 pt per night then this discussion wouldn't be happening. If Celebrity truly wanted to keep a loyal customer base they would consider their customers feelings and honor a reasonable request. I never asked for a penny in reduction of my fare, just the perk of the few points that could have been mine had i booked after final payment. My cruise after this April 5 one is on Princess, but could have easily been Celebrity.

What I am seeing is your sailing Princess over Celebrity because of a silly few points?? WOW! Celebrity will not bend to your will? I can only imagine what would happen if a real problem presented itself. :eek:

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

I'm about to take my 14th cruise spread over 3 cruiselines (15th is booked for Nov). I watch the prices and take advantage of any price drops. I've never had a price drop below what I paid, for the most part prices are much higher by sail date. The cruise booked for Nov is now $500 more pp and I doubt it will get as low as we grabbed it again.

Guess it's just the luck of the draw....

Stuff happens across all facets of retail, some work for us, the consumer, some don't. We have sailed on 7 different lines since our 1st in 1987. In doing this we have yet to reach a level in anyone's loyalty program to receive very much except, Thanks for sailing with us again. We let it go, and now look and book based on everything but the loyalty perks. There will always be someone in the seat next to us who received something different from us, or we from them.

Let it go, enjoy a coffee on your balcony as the soft sound of the Ship sailing thru the deep blue water touches your senses!:)

Stuff happens across all facets of retail, some work for us, the consumer, some don't. We have sailed on 7 different lines since our 1st in 1987. In doing this we have yet to reach a level in anyone's loyalty program to receive very much except, Thanks for sailing with us again. We let it go, and now look and book based on everything but the loyalty perks. There will always be someone in the seat next to us who received something different from us, or we from them.

Let it go, enjoy a coffee on your balcony as the soft sound of the Ship sailing thru the deep blue water touches your senses!:)

Well put, wallie!

If you want to truly drive yourself nuts - ask everyone on your next airline flight what they paid for their ticket! :D

How wonderful

Your last sentence warms my cruise loving heart:):):)

I have a veranda and the Concierge is now cheaper.

Seems to me that if you really wanted to upgrade, Celebrity would let you. However, you would not be upgrading your price in their eyes. ;) You would only be upgrading a service, anyway. The stateroom would be basically the same.

Have you thought about upgrading to a Century Suite or Sky Suite? Not sure what ship you are on.

Edited by Iamthesea

I have a resident special OBC. I don't use TA'S because i like to keep control of my booking. The new pricing is based on a calif resident special. It's hard not to be upset when we're talking $600 difference, not petty cash. I will enjoy my cruise that I over paid but I learned an expensive lesson not to book any Celebrity cruise until after final payment. Celebrity should consider the hard feelings they are causing with this because the market is saturated with cruises right now and it's easy to look else where.

I asked for a very minor adjustment which would have cost them nothing. I asked for the 5 pts per night for concierge and leave me in my balcony since the concierge was less expensive then my balcony. After all isn't the new point system designed to reward for price paid not number of nights? That would have been a win win for both of us. But since they said no I now feel Celebrity is not customer service oriented. It's my feeling, right , wrong, it's mine to feel.

We have the same issue on a 11 night cruise. The price for our balcony cabin is now $1000 pp less than we paid. I tried to upgrade but I would lose the perks. $2000 is a big difference which I know I can't get back but I wouldn't mind an upgrade since Aqua and Concierge, which are now around the same price I paid for our balcony. Unless I am doing a BTB and want to stay in the same cabin, I won't be booking early again :mad:

Yes, but did you have OBC or other perks? My biggest issue is them wanting to take away my perks because I upgrade and yes, I would be paying a little extra. I was given those perks for money already spent, why should they be able to take them away?

We have the same issue on a 11 night cruise. The price for our balcony cabin is now $1000 pp less than we paid. I tried to upgrade but I would lose the perks. $2000 is a big difference which I know I can't get back but I wouldn't mind an upgrade since Aqua and Concierge, which are now around the same price I paid for our balcony. Unless I am doing a BTB and want to stay in the same cabin, I won't be booking early again :mad:

The perks can't be worth $2000:eek: Classic pkg for 2 would cost about $1100 for two people on 11 days! That leaves $900 for air, OBC, ect! You need to cancel and re-book, quick, before that deal is gone.