Code red on Infinity

sergeant655

Actually I have read on these boards the argument (or fact statement) that hand sanitizes do not work (or at least only partially work) against the noro virus. Washing with soap and water is the best way.

That is the same thing the Captain said during his daily announcement. He never mentioned hand sanitizer, only mentioned the wash hands with warm water and soap for at least 30 seconds.

This is copied from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) web site at http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html:

What should you do if you don’t have soap and clean, running water?

Washing hands with soap and water is the best way to reduce the number of microbes on them in most situations. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of microbes on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs.

Hand sanitizers are not as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy.

How do you use hand sanitizers?

• Apply the product to the palm of one hand (read the label to learn the correct amount).
  • Rub your hands together.
  • Rub the product over all surfaces of your hands and fingers until your hands are dry.

And this was posted on another CDC page:

"Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water. "

Edited by boogs

Having been on the infinity three weeks ago when the initial norovirus outbreak started, i noticed that the servers in the buffet do NOT wear gloves. While that sounds OK because they are not handling anything from passengers, it does raise some flags....for instance I did see servers straightening out salad plates by picking up the serving utensils used by passengers and using them....with no gloves. That's just terrible food handling. We weren't in code red...so maybe now they are all wearing gloves....but Celebrity IMHO talks up food safety but really does not take food safety seriously if they have servers in the buffet (and in the grand buffet) without gloves. I did not see anyone measuring food temperature either...but of course, I might have just missed that.

The best defense is washing your hands...but there is no way you can fully protect yourself when others aren't washing their hands or are picking up french fries from the serving tray with their fingers while waiting for a sandwich (it's amazing what you see...some people are just .... slobs).

Edited by ghstudio

This is copied from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) web site at http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html:

What should you do if you don’t have soap and clean, running water?

Washing hands with soap and water is the best way to reduce the number of microbes on them in most situations. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of microbes on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs.

Hand sanitizers are not as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy.

How do you use hand sanitizers?

• Apply the product to the palm of one hand (read the label to learn the correct amount).
  • Rub your hands together.
  • Rub the product over all surfaces of your hands and fingers until your hands are dry.

And this was posted on another CDC page:

"Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water. "

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers should not make you sick, unless (perhaps) if you are eating immediately (like within seconds) of applying the stuff. The alcohol dries pretty quickly, and I doubt highly that the stuff will make you ill, or Purell would have already been inundated by frivolous lawsuits.

On my last cruise, one of the waiters saw that my DH and I left a few minutes after ordering every single evening. He asked about it, and I replied that we always went to wash out hands with soap and water after handling the menus. He smiled, said he wished more passengers were so diligent, and told us that he was supposed to wash his every five minutes or so when handling food items. I'm not quite sure how the waiters can do that, but it sounds good.

Now, if I could just figure out how to decline to shake hands gracefully when someone sticks out their hands at me.... It keeps happening, usually right after I've washed, and often just before I'm ready to eat!

When we were on the Infinity, we noticed that they sometimes neglected to provide separate holders for the serving utensils at the buffet.

It didn't matter how much sanitizer they provided at the entrance.

People would cough or sneeze on their hands, or rub their noses, handle the serving utensils and then toss them into the food pans right on top of the food.

Whenever we saw that, we avoided the pans of food where people helped themselves and only took the food that was plated by the attendants.

People would cough or sneeze on their hands' date=' or rub their noses, handle the serving utensils and then toss them into the food pans right on top of the food.[/font'][/size]

Whenever we saw that, we avoided the pans of food where people helped themselves and only took the food that was plated by the attendants.

You are so right. What kind of idiot would place the utensil on top of the food?

I dunno but there sure are a lot of them

Now, if I could just figure out how to decline to shake hands gracefully when someone sticks out their hands at me.... It keeps happening, usually right after I've washed, and often just before I'm ready to eat!

Surely you eat with your knife and fork, not with your hands....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by billyelliot

I am also one of those that is unable to use the hand sanitizes (I break out in a rash every time I try); therefore, I diligently wash my hands thoroughly before entering any dining area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife can't use the hand sanitizers and she often gets dirty looks but I can assure she constantly washes her hands before entering any dining venue. Although the hand sanitizers are better than nothing, they are ineffective against Noro. They did have a product in Europe but i understand it is no longer available. We avoid the buffets like the plague (no pun intended) and have not had any issues. As long as people don't wash after using the facilities, we will have issues. All ships should adopt HAL's policy regarding the buffet service.

Interestingly the CDC records an outbreak on Infinity at the exact same time last year as this current one.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2014

Celebrity had 4 of the nine outbreaks logged by CDC last year. Not a great record for X.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do remember that ships that do not include USA ports never get included on these CDC records.

For example, our January 2014 B2B med cruise on the NCL Jade had WAY more than 5% of passengers affected on the first leg. It will never be counted by CDC. (We were among the sick, but were very impressed with how NCL handled the situation and disinfected the ship.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

On my last cruise, one of the waiters saw that my DH and I left a few minutes after ordering every single evening. He asked about it, and I replied that we always went to wash out hands with soap and water after handling the menus. He smiled, said he wished more passengers were so diligent, and told us that he was supposed to wash his every five minutes or so when handling food items. I'm not quite sure how the waiters can do that, but it sounds good.

I find being honest works for me.

I've washed my hands and I've started to sit down and eat. Someone comes over, for whatever reason, and wants to shake hands. I smile and say,"sorry, I'm about to eat. I'll shake your hand afterwards."

Not about to eat and I see someone cough in their hand. Now they want to shake hands. I say,"it's that season were we all can become sick. Let's hold off for now."

Most people understand. Everyone I've ever met understands. And if I meet someone who doesn't or thinks I'm being a germ-a-pobe? They most likely don't wash their hands and don't care about themselves or others.

There are some people, myself included, who have been told by their doctors to not use hand sanitizers, especially just before you eat!! The chemicals, yes even when it is only rubbing alcohol, can make you sick and cause other issues for the body. Additionally, if the hand sanitizer has some other anti-bacterial ingredient besides alcohol it can cause an overall decrease in immunity as anti-bacterial products should be avoided by all. While I can only speak for myself, I will speak for my self in saying that I know how to wash my hands properly as I was trained due to being in the medical profession.

I have said it before on these boards and I will say it again, noro runs rampant throughout a lot of environments. A school near me recently closed for two days due to 1/2 of the students and staff being sick. However, it took HALF for something to be done. Being smart and acting smart will keep you and those you love healthy.

I agree with you, to an extent. My best friend has a skin condition that makes using hand sanitizers a no-no. She is also a nurse practitioner, and knows to wash her hands properly with hot, soapy water prior to entering the buffet, touching the utensils and eating. Unlike most people who avoid the hand sanitizer she is actually much more sterile. We have been on a number of cruises where we're the first sailing after a code red. Regardless of the protocols for a given cruise we always wash our hands prior to entering any restaurant, and always use hand sanitizer prior to eating, or go and wash our hands again, if we've touched menus, utensils, etc. Noro is bad, but even catching a cold on vacation would be terrible.

Do remember that ships that do not include USA ports never get included on these CDC records.

For example, our January 2014 B2B med cruise on the NCL Jade had WAY more than 5% of passengers affected on the first leg. It will never be counted by CDC. (We were among the sick, but were very impressed with how NCL handled the situation and disinfected the ship.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Yes was aware of that. Perhaps there should be an international CDC so worldwide cruise ship case get reported.

When we were on the Infinity, we noticed that they sometimes neglected to provide separate holders for the serving utensils at the buffet.

Yes; that's one of my pet hates and something I have pointed out to more than one restaurant supervisor, and several restaurant managers.

Another problem I have is the passengers who use one set of utensils to serve themselves more than one type of food, cross contamination between meat and dairy foods should be a no no.

On the Antartica leg and on disembarkation morning as we were still CODE RED---had a nicelooking middleage woman reach around me and pick up bread with her fingers---I gave her a nasty look and she began to rant---shouldnt have done that :):D

Bob and Garry

hope yall are fine!!

frank

Yes; that's one of my pet hates and something I have pointed out to more than one restaurant supervisor, and several restaurant managers.

Another problem I have is the passengers who use one set of utensils to serve themselves more than one type of food, cross contamination between meat and dairy foods should be a no no.

I agree. Its even more annoying when your OH is vegetarian and someone picks up a meat dish then uses that same serving spoon for veg. Makes that veg a total no go for a veggie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on the Solstice (btb) last November for 30 days. The ship was in code red (although we never heard it referred to as such) on and off for the entire period. Everything would be normal for a few days and then the salt and pepper would disappear and the coffee area would be blocked off with long lines for a few days. beats the alternative-15 years ago we were sitting in a cruise terminal in Miami waiting to board an NCL ship. After two hours they announced that the cruise had been cancelled-300 passengers had been sick on the previous cruise and the CDC had shut them for a thorough cleaning.

It is so true that thorough handwashing is the best answer.

The sanitizers are not really effective, when asked WHY handwashing worked better than sanitizers, the answer was that apparently it just washed away the bacteria.

The sanitizers are not a bad idea, but they aren't very effective against noro, and thorough handwashing IS effective.

I'm a believer in the handwashing brigade.

Coincidentally I was reading about hiking the Appalachian Trail last night and one article mentioned that noro is common when it is most crowded-starting in Ga in the spring.

I got noro on a cruise and was confined for 4 days, so I support all measures they take to limit the spread.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

and every time you mention this sad occurrence I have to say Hello ....

HELLO

and mention the noise that came from the cabin next door to me each and everytime they locked you in. The crying was quite loud. But you did followed the rules.

That ship had no balconies :mad: and Noro is another reason to think about a balcony for sure on a longer cruise. Just in case for fresh air.

Even on my most recent cruise, I see people leaving the bathroom without washing their hands, or trying to evade the person at the buffett or restaurant with the sanitizer Some are down right rude to the staff. If find it easier to just accept the sanitizer and say thank you and move on. Some of the antics I have seen by some people to get out of taking the sanitizer are redicilous.

I am all for washing your hands every chance you get.

Norma