Extension cords and extra credit type card

Fencers

We've read that you need to bring an extention cord if you have more than 2 chargers, etc. to plug-in. To turn power on & off in your room you put your room card in a slot. When you leave the room & take your card the power turns off. We were told to bring a Sam's club card or Costco card to leave in slot to charge our devices, if they needed charging. Anyone else hear about this?

Dianne & Ray

None of the mainstrean US based cruise lines have this (Carnival, RCCL, NCL). Plugs are "hot" all the time. Their is a shaver only outlet in the bathroom that may only work when the bath light is on..There are only 2 US style plugs in a cabin so a short extension cord helps. Some cruise lines may confiscate an extension cord.

None of the mainstrean US based cruise lines have this (Carnival, RCCL, NCL). Plugs are "hot" all the time. Their is a shaver only outlet in the bathroom that may only work when the bath light is on..There are only 2 US style plugs in a cabin so a short extension cord helps. Some cruise lines may confiscate an extension cord.

Two of the DCL ships require the card to activate the lights in the room - Dream & Fantasy.

I've read several reports lately of extension cords/surge protectors being confiscated (DCL, HAL, Princess). Many cruiselines prefer you get extension cords from them, if needed.

We've read that you need to bring an extention cord if you have more than 2 chargers, etc. to plug-in. To turn power on & off in your room you put your room card in a slot. When you leave the room & take your card the power turns off. We were told to bring a Sam's club card or Costco card to leave in slot to charge our devices, if they needed charging. Anyone else hear about this?

Dianne & Ray

Never heard that before and can confirm that does not exist with RCI. Also with RCI we've never felt it necessary to bring and extension cord - there have always been enough outlets for our needs. (But we also don't take computers, etc., with us. Just smart phones / cameras).

RCI also does list extension cords as a prohibited item, but I have heard of people taking a small power strip with them and getting it on board.

How much time does your item need for charging?

We charge the camera up at night either before bed or leave on during the night only needs charging every other day

The Netbook will run for 5 hrs on battery power so I just charge when we are in the cabin before bed

We do not use cell phones so no worries there

None of our chargers need to be plugged in all the time....so plug and unplug as needed!

The magnetic card you speak of used to be used to open some of the older safes...most nowadays have a key pad where you enter your own code. Some of Carnival's older ships MIGHT still have the old style safes, where you swipe some sort of card with a magnetic strip.

On Princess there are at least three standard American plugs . Two on the make up table and one behind the TV. From what I have heard the card to control lights and the HVAC in the cabin. This getting common in many high end hotels to save energy and costs.

I've never found the need for an extension cord. BUT, I always travel with my little travel power strip. It's the size of an eyeglass case and handles dual voltage issues.

If you go to Europe/Africa, you will find hotels that need the room key in the slot to activate the room power. I haven't tried a non-room key - I might do that my next trip! I haven't seen that on a cruise ship, but it may be true in some cases (like a previous poster mentioned DCL).

I've never found the need for an extension cord. BUT, I always travel with my little travel power strip. It's the size of an eyeglass case and handles dual voltage issues.

If you go to Europe/Africa, you will find hotels that need the room key in the slot to activate the room power. I haven't tried a non-room key - I might do that my next trip! I haven't seen that on a cruise ship, but it may be true in some cases (like a previous poster mentioned DCL).

I was just wondering if your cabin key would work if you must use a "card" to activate the lights. Not the case on our 2010 and 2013 cruises, will see in August. :-)

I was just wondering if your cabin key would work if you must use a "card" to activate the lights. Not the case on our 2010 and 2013 cruises, will see in August. :-)

In the hotel room once you enter the room using the card key you put the card in the slot beside the door for the a/c & lights

More hotels are using this system to save energy costs

The hotel in Toronto we use the plugs are still live so not sure how it works in other hotels/ships

Dianne & Ray

Rather than an extension cord, consider a small outlet extender - they can turn a single outlet into 2 or 3 and is much smaller to carry.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8_STLUoUrf9P6_jm3tm8RCCAwXiCkxIrBG8mPs5xhIalBq1D_7w

As for needing the room key to turn on the power.....I think it's a great idea (very common in European hotels), but I don't know how many cruise ships use that system (apparently at least 2 do, according to this thread). Even if that's the case, I suspect you won't have a problem, as you can charge your devices overnight - you really shouldn't need 24 hour charging, I'd think.

Ncl epic, breakaway and getaway require a key card placed in a slot by the door.

Carnivals Breeze does as well.

If the card is removed power is shut off.

From carnival breeze

P6260276.jpg

Edited by Caribbean King1

Ncl epic, breakaway and getaway require a key card placed in a slot by the door.

Carnivals Breeze does as well.

If the card is removed power is shut off.

Does that include the outlets?

Fridge if they have one?

RCI also does list extension cords as a prohibited item, but I have heard of people taking a small power strip with them and getting it on board.

:confused: They aren't listed amongst the prohibited items on the RCI site I looked-up :confused: http://bookings.royalcaribbean.co.uk/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&wuc=GBR

Never had a problem bringing an extension cord onto any ship.

Certainly I've been on plenty of ships where there's a dearth of power points so for instance, having to unplug the TV to use a charger - which might also involve crawling under a dressing table every time.

Plus some chargers have bulky plugs that incorporate a voltage converter which fouls against fixed furniture.

Ditto the plug adaptors needed by those of us whose appliances use different sockets.

I wouldn't buy something like the adaptor pictured by CalliopeCruiser for the same reason.

Different ships, different facilities - but a short extension cord is always on my packing-list.

Some cruises, like many hotels, the seapass is needed to activate the electrics - pull the seapass & the lights & TV go off. But I don't think the aircon is affected - cabins warm up very quickly without aircon, & we'd have noticed. But on most ships the aircon switches off when the balcony door is left open, perfectly understandable.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Rather than an extension cord, consider a small outlet extender - they can turn a single outlet into 2 or 3 and is much smaller to carry.

Those are very dangerous. You are running power that is designed for ONE 110v, generally 15 amp circuit into two or three outlets with no safety cut off device. And you can very easily "over amp" the circuit you plugged into depending on how many devices you have plugged in and what the amperage rating is of each device.

There are only two that are NEC (National Electrical Code) approved in the US-one made by GE with 6 outlets and one by Siemans that is GFI protected which is really a good thing on cruise ship. They both have internally designed safety shutoffs which will regulate the amount of amps you are using to keep it below the safety level of the circuit. However, they are not particularly small and you have to get them flat into the outlet with enough space (which may not be possible due to the locations of some cruise ship outlets)

Most of the better power strips also have the safety shutoffs and a lot of them have surge protection and GFI protection.

Buy the ones that have NEC ratings, NOT just a UL rating. Or at least buy a well known in the US brand-GE, Siemans, 3M, Emerson, etc. etc. Half of the stuff that comes from China these days have BOGUS UL stickers so not only are the NOT NEC rated but they probably haven't gone through UL testing either.

Another thing that my dear, departed DH was always worried about on a cruise ship-ALUMINUM wiring. Won't take the heat as copper will. Aluminum wiring is outlawed in the US for installation except on high voltage lines (you won't find those on a cruise ship). And Europe still wires some stuff with aluminum (most cruise ships are built in Europe). SO there is a possibility of aluminum wiring on a cruise ship. I know he was curious and took one of the outlets apart on Celebrity Infinity just to see-the wiring was copper. But on the old QE2, there was some aluminum wiring (he found it in an outlet in the Princess Grill).

This info is from my DH who was an electrical engineer and master electrician at the USA's largest nuke plant. You just don't know how many power strips I have bought over the years that have gone in the trash within a few days of purchase. He was always testing them with his Fluke meters and heat gun (measures heat in circuits and wiring) Even though he HATED to pull in extra outlets, he sure felt a lot safer ripping apart sheetrock, fishing wires through walls and making new circuits than allowing a lot of power strips in our home.

Just an FYI for both your home and your cruise. BE SAFE!!!

Those are very dangerous. You are running power that is designed for ONE 110v, generally 15 amp circuit into two or three outlets with no safety cut off device. And you can very easily "over amp" the circuit you plugged into depending on how many devices you have plugged in and what the amperage rating is of each device.

That's true for most extension cords too - they are not circuit breakers.

Another thing that my dear, departed DH was always worried about on a cruise ship-ALUMINUM wiring. Won't take the heat as copper will.

Very interesting. I hadn't considered that difference between ships and home.

BE SAFE!!!

As it happens, the one I have is a surge protector but I haven't tested it, LOL.

As it happens, the one I have is a surge protector but I haven't tested it, LOL.

The GOOD power strips DO have circuit breakers (and some with GFI) that will shut them down if all the devices plugged in are over amping a rating. On a 15 amp circuit, you should NOT go over 10amps (12 is pushing it) to be as safe as possible.

Surge protectors are only good if there is an incoming power surge (more than 115/120 volts, 15 amps max going through the wire). They will generally protect electrical equipment against frying the equipment (depending on the quality of the product). But they do absolutely NOTHING to protect over amping the circuit due to the amount of devices plugged in and amperage used.

Above all-BE SAFE

Dianne & Ray

This tactic would probably not work. The reason hotels, and apparently some ships, require the room card to be in the slot for lights to work is to save electricity. If any card would keep the power on, the idea could be too easily thwarted. The key card is the only thing card which would work.

:confused: They aren't listed amongst the prohibited items on the RCI site I looked-up :confused: http://bookings.royalcaribbean.co.uk/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&wuc=GBR

Never had a problem bringing an extension cord onto any ship.

Different ships, different facilities - but a short extension cord is always on my packing-list.

Interesting. From the US RCI website - extension cord reference in bold and italics:

Onboard Policies

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

This tactic would probably not work. The reason hotels, and apparently some ships, require the room card to be in the slot for lights to work is to save electricity. If any card would keep the power on, the idea could be too easily thwarted. The key card is the only thing card which would work.

Not on DCL. Any card (credit card sized) will work. There were reports of people leaving their key card in the slot and locking themselves out of their rooms. That's when most people found out any card will work. Indeed, even the room hosts use the Do No Disturb hanger (the hook part fits nicely in the slot) to keep the lights on when in there.

It's also reported it only controls the lights, not outlets, fridges, a/c. At least on DCL.

No, not always the case. ;)

Arriving at one hotel I even saw an empty cig packet wedged in there. Staff had done it to keep the aircon going during a very hot spell.

But hotel or cruise ship, I'm happy to slot in the plastic key/seapass.

Saves me hunting for the damned thing when going out. :rolleyes: :D

Edited by John Bull

Those are very dangerous. You are running power that is designed for ONE 110v, generally 15 amp circuit into two or three outlets with no safety cut off device. And you can very easily "over amp" the circuit you plugged into depending on how many devices you have plugged in and what the amperage rating is of each device.As one who has posted many times on fire and electrical safety on these boards, I'm not real worried about these Belkin adapters in the case of overloading, but I don't recommend them as they have surge protection, which is not required onboard (the clamping voltage is 12,000v), and which can cause problems with the ship's electrical monitoring equipment. Since nothing with a heating element (except hair care items) is allowed in the cabins, there is really very little concern about overloading a circuit. Most everything is a low wattage charger for electronics.

There are only two that are NEC (National Electrical Code) approved in the US-one made by GE with 6 outlets and one by Siemans that is GFI protected which is really a good thing on cruise ship. They both have internally designed safety shutoffs which will regulate the amount of amps you are using to keep it below the safety level of the circuit. However, they are not particularly small and you have to get them flat into the outlet with enough space (which may not be possible due to the locations of some cruise ship outlets)Again, GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupters) don't work on ships, as the ground and neutral wires are not at the same potential. However, every power strip with an on/off switch contains a circuit breaker in it (not the best, but they generally fail open more times than failing to trip.

Most of the better power strips also have the safety shutoffs and a lot of them have surge protection and GFI protection.See above comments on surge protection and GFCI, above.

Buy the ones that have NEC ratings, NOT just a UL rating. Or at least buy a well known in the US brand-GE, Siemans, 3M, Emerson, etc. etc. Half of the stuff that comes from China these days have BOGUS UL stickers so not only are the NOT NEC rated but they probably haven't gone through UL testing either.

Another thing that my dear, departed DH was always worried about on a cruise ship-ALUMINUM wiring. Won't take the heat as copper will. Aluminum wiring is outlawed in the US for installation except on high voltage lines (you won't find those on a cruise ship). And Europe still wires some stuff with aluminum (most cruise ships are built in Europe). SO there is a possibility of aluminum wiring on a cruise ship. I know he was curious and took one of the outlets apart on Celebrity Infinity just to see-the wiring was copper. But on the old QE2, there was some aluminum wiring (he found it in an outlet in the Princess Grill).Ships don't use aluminum wire (for the obvious reason that aluminum corrodes extremely quickly in a salt atmosphere, as well as the IMO does not allow aluminum wiring on ships. And as an aside, you will find high voltage onboard, as the generators generate 10,000v, but these still are not aluminum.

This info is from my DH who was an electrical engineer and master electrician at the USA's largest nuke plant. You just don't know how many power strips I have bought over the years that have gone in the trash within a few days of purchase. He was always testing them with his Fluke meters and heat gun (measures heat in circuits and wiring) Even though he HATED to pull in extra outlets, he sure felt a lot safer ripping apart sheetrock, fishing wires through walls and making new circuits than allowing a lot of power strips in our home.

While your DH was familiar with land based electrical systems, marine installations are quite a different kettle of fish.

Just an FYI for both your home and your cruise. BE SAFE!!!

My recommendation is a power strip, without a surge protector, but with an on/off switch, and a short (12") cord. Extension cords are good if there are only one female plug on the end (can only plug in one thing to the extension cord), as they are used for scooters and CPAP machines.

I'm curious - don't really understand the need for extra outlets. With the exception of required medical equipment, just how many 'things' do people need to charge at one time? We take a laptop or tablet (occasionally both), a cell phone for use in mainland ports only or travel to & from departure port, and have 2 Kindles and camera batteries that occasionally need to be recharged. None of these need to be charged every day, so I can't imagine any occasion that I'd need to charge or have all of these plugged in at one time. They each take only an hour or so to charge. What things do you take that need to be charged so often or for so long that they need more than 2 outlets?

Edited by Kartgv

They each take only an hour or so to charge. What things do you take that need to be charged so often or for so long that they need more than 2 outlets?

That's pretty amazing - my laptop and iPhone both need more than an hour if they've been pretty depleted.....that said, they get charged overnight; I don't need to leave them charging during the day.

That's pretty amazing - my laptop and iPhone both need more than an hour if they've been pretty depleted.....that said, they get charged overnight; I don't need to leave them charging during the day.

You're right about the laptop, but we don't use ours for that long at a time on a cruise, so I just recharge it for an hour or so every few days. My phone (a Samsung)charges in just about an hour.