Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

Does anyone know if NCL iConcierge will be available on the Escape? I assume so since it is a new build but it is not listed on their website. There will be several of us on the transatlantic and it seems like a great way to stay in touch with the whole group.

Does anyone know if NCL iConcierge will be available on the Escape? I assume so since it is a new build but it is not listed on their website. There will be several of us on the transatlantic and it seems like a great way to stay in touch with the whole group.

Considering the last 3 ships have it, and they are retro-fitting older ships with it, it's extremely unlikely they'd build a new ship without it.

The real issue is will they wire the internet better on the Escape so that it actually works throughout the ship. There are so many areas on the Getaway and Epic where it doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough to support iConcierge voip & text service that it makes it pretty worthless. We used it on both ships this year and could only contact each other maybe 25% of the time at most. Also we (mini suite), nor our friends in the Haven, could use laptops in our rooms on either ship.

Dave

The real issue is will they wire the internet better on the Escape so that it actually works throughout the ship. There are so many areas on the Getaway and Epic where it doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough to support iConcierge voip & text service that it makes it pretty worthless. We used it on both ships this year and could only contact each other maybe 25% of the time at most. Also we (mini suite), nor our friends in the Haven, could use laptops in our rooms on either ship.

Dave

Interesting. It worked flawlessly for me on both Getaway and Epic.

The real issue is will they wire the internet better on the Escape so that it actually works ...

we (mini suite), nor our friends in the Haven, could use laptops in our rooms on either ship.

Ah! It's not that it didn't work in your cabins. It's that the system is smart, and deliberately prevented you from using your laptops. It was gently reminding you that you were on vacation! Laptops are the opposite of vacation.

I was able to use the internet in my room on Breakaway without issue (it was slow though) but the signal did not extend out to the tiny balcony, which struck me as slightly odd.

They really need to invest in a satellite system like what RCI has on its newest ships. I used it on Oasis last month and it was no different than using high speed internet on land. It was amazing.

They really need to invest in a satellite system like what RCI has on its newest ships. I used it on Oasis last month and it was no different than using high speed internet on land. It was amazing.

RCI contracted a telecommunications company, O3b, to provide Internet service. O3b (Other 3 billion) is dedicated to getting broadband speed internet to people in third world and developing countries, and RCI is taking advantage of the tech created to support that initiative. Coverage is still extremely limited, but when I used it in the Caribbean on Quantum, it really does fly!

Does anyone recall if the Epic, BA and GA prices went down as their inaugural seasons started?

I'm really hoping the OV or balconies drop in price so I can get the UBP.

The price of our cabin skyrocketed over $1000 since we booked in January. 3/4 sailed free at that time and now don't (1/2 off) so that was part of it. Can't answer your question but if I were not already booked with the older UDP I probably would not book currently.

Does anyone recall if the Epic, BA and GA prices went down as their inaugural seasons started?

I'm really hoping the OV or balconies drop in price so I can get the UBP.

Can't speak for the Epic - but we booked both the BA and GA pretty much as soon as the bookings opened and our rates only climbed up from that point.

I would assume that the Epic leveled off once the BA was sailing and same for the BA once the Getaway launched. But again....it's only a guess. :o

In February 2014, I booked a January 2015 cruise on the Getaway (inaugural season). Prices fluctuated, of course. But by three to four weeks before sailing, prices were substantially lower. I was able to get an upgrade from BC balcony to aft-facing B1 three weeks before sailing.

There's no guarantee that that will happen. Prices will change according to what's sold out or not sold, and how close they are to having obsolete inventory on their hands.

Let's do a comparison with Royal's Quantum class..

Quantum:

Tonnage: 168,666 GT[

Length: 347.1 m (1,139 ft)

Beam: 49.5 m (162 ft) (max)

41.4 m (136 ft) (waterline)

Draft: 8.8 m (29 ft)

Escape:

Tonnage: 164,600 GT

Length: 1,098 feet (334.6 m) <- Meyer Werft says 163,000GT and 325,9mtr?

Beam: 136 feet (41.5 m)

Draft: 28 feet (8.5 m)

So after Oasis and Quantum class she will be world's third largest cruiseship correct?

Quantum's power:

Installed power: 2 × Wärtsilä 12V46F (2 × 14,400 kW)

2 × Wärtsilä 16V46F (2 × 19,200 kW)

Propulsion: Diesel-electric

Two ABB Azipod XO thrusters (2 × 20.5 MW)

Four 3,500 kW (4,694 hp) bow thrusters

Speed: 22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph)

And Escape's:

Installed power: 2 × MAN 14V48/60CR (2 × 16,800 kW)

3 × MAN 12V48/60CR (3 × 14,400 kW)

Two ABB Azipod XO units (2 × 20 MW)

? bow thrusters (Barnacle knows!)

Speed: 22,5 knots

Escape seems to have more watts to power her hotel operation?

Escape:

Tonnage: 164,600 GT

Length: 1,098 feet (334.6 m) <- Meyer Werft says 163,000GT and 325,9mtr?

Beam: 136 feet (41.5 m)

Draft: 28 feet (8.5 m)

And Escape's:

Installed power: 2 × MAN 14V48/60CR (2 × 16,800 kW)

3 × MAN 12V48/60CR (3 × 14,400 kW)

Two ABB Azipod XO units (2 × 20 MW)

? bow thrusters (Barnacle knows!)

Speed: 22,5 knots

Escape seems to have more watts to power her hotel operation?

I do! :D Three 3,000 kW (4,023 hp) bow thrusters

Escape has an additional small DG (diesel generator) compared to Breakaway and Getaway. Partially for additional hotel load, partially for more powerful pods, largely for greater flexibility with downtime during maintenance.

Escape's length is the same as Breakaway and Getaway. Meyer Werft's 325.9 m is correct, the other is wrong.

Also, Escape will have two 19.5 MW pods, not 20 MW.

Edited by barnacle_boy

I'm sorry if this was asked already....does anyone know why the Escape 11-14 sailing is no longer listed anywhere? Usually if its sold out it will still come up and just say sold out.

I noticed lately for the cruises I have been watching once they sold out it would vanish from the site. The 4 day Pearl was removed from the listing when it sold out and few months ago and once Escape sold out the remaining mini-suites for the 11-14th it was removed, as well as the Nov.14th sailing.

Edited by CruiseNYR

Ah! It's not that it didn't work in your cabins. It's that the system is smart, and deliberately prevented you from using your laptops. It was gently reminding you that you were on vacation! Laptops are the opposite of vacation.

I do appreciate the humor, but NCL's lack of technology is an issue for many people. We cannot cruise with one couple at all anymore because the internet and phone service is so spotty on the NCL ships, so because he has an employer that needs him to be able to be in contact, they cruise only RCL who does have great service. In the case of another set of our friends, we have been trying to get them to cruise with us on NCL but he has his own home based financial business and therefore they travel all the time, but he has to be able to spend an hour or two each morning responding to his clients. We've got them to switch to NCL and they have sailed at least 6 times this past year and they will again have a haven suite on the Escape Hamburg & London cruises with us, but if the Escape is like the Epic and Getaway and he can't take a few calls and can't respond to emails in his haven room, then he is going to have to go back to RCL and Princess.

Looking for opinions from the experts on the H6's. Any thoughts which deck(s) will have the door to the balcony from the bedroom? Also, largest to smallest? Thanks!

We booked on 9 again - assuming it will have the largest balcony, due to the slant of the aft of the ship. Still anxiously awaiting the floor plan details.

Have you seen this?? Assuming there is SOME correlation to the BA/GA - this might be helpful until we have real info on the Escape. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

Freestyle and Barnacle. I don't know what all that means but I know it's important. Thank you. I do get the length. And tonnage. :confused: :D

:) Yes, size is important. And as far as NCL's lack of technology,

On vacation, I have a dumbphone that I shut off at the airport.:o

I do appreciate the humor, but NCL's lack of technology is an issue for many people. We cannot cruise with one couple at all anymore because the internet and phone service is so spotty on the NCL ships, so because he has an employer that needs him to be able to be in contact, they cruise only RCL who does have great service. In the case of another set of our friends, we have been trying to get them to cruise with us on NCL but he has his own home based financial business and therefore they travel all the time, but he has to be able to spend an hour or two each morning responding to his clients. We've got them to switch to NCL and they have sailed at least 6 times this past year and they will again have a haven suite on the Escape Hamburg & London cruises with us, but if the Escape is like the Epic and Getaway and he can't take a few calls and can't respond to emails in his haven room, then he is going to have to go back to RCL and Princess.

I too need to check in with work daily while on board, and I know how frustrating it can be when in dire need of said net speed and reliability. I am a computer engineer, and run data centers for a top 3 media company. We sailed the Star in March, and they just had the new Norwegian Next program (slowly being rolled out to most ships in the fleet) installed in drydock, new network systems being part of the rollout. The net was the fastest we ever had on a ship, and was considerably faster than the GA net we experienced last year. I was able to use the net to remotely access my data center in Phoenix, and solve server issues while on board, at sea, from my iPad. That was a first. I usually have to talk it through with my engineers, and have them do the work for me.

With the Escape build being the most recent, I suspect the net service will be as good or better than what I just experienced on the Star.