Steel Drums and Caribbean Music Coming Back

sjcruiser

Do they not currently have live music on the Lido deck? (Caribbean or otherwise.)

They do. On all ships. Even if soloists doing Jimmy Buffett, etc.

They will also have DJs.

Steel drums are monotonous and not coming back. Ever.

My interpretation is that more live music will occur which will include cover tunes and Caribbean music.

I love live music by good musicians, and I love DJ's that play the music I like.

But some DJ play the muisic SO loud to the point of over modulation, as well as a heavy playlist toward rap crap, that I end up going to more serene areas to escape.

I agree. Ilike the steel drum bands but I don't have a problem with a DJ instead IF he is a decent DJ that everyone can enjoy. Here is my example;

On Freedom, the DJ just sucked! He played 100% rap and hip hop and never anything else, all day long! And It was so loud I eventually left the pool area because I just could not take it, and I have been to plenty of heavy metal concerts. Multiple people asked him to turn it down and to play something else and he refused.

On the Breeze, the DJ was fantastic! He played a mix of music that actually created a party atmosphere around the pool with everyone dancing and singing all afternoon. It was loud, but not too loud.

So while I love the live music, I can deal with a DJ as long as he is not a horrible one like the guy on the Freedom. :cool:

I'm excited to hear this. All the other cruise ships I have been have had them. While I don't mind a DJ I think hearing the Caribbean steel drums and music male your vacation official. I hope its fixed by Oct

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Are there really people out there that are upset because Carnival got rid of the 24/7 playing of calypso music on the Lido deck? I enjoy listening to it, but even I can only take so much of it. I like the direction Carnival is going by providing a variety of music options, with possibly now more live performances.

Are there really people out there that are upset because Carnival got rid of the 24/7 playing of calypso music on the Lido deck? I enjoy listening to it, but even I can only take so much of it. I like the direction Carnival is going by providing a variety of music options, with possibly now more live performances.

There was NEVER 24/7 of any type of lido music. Ever.

Personally, I enjoyed Calypso at every sailaway.

I agree that variety is the spice of life, but hearing island music when I board the ship sets the stage for my cruise vacation. There are times like the deck party and sail away when the DJ really gets the crowd on their feet, but there are also times when some island sounds sets the Caribbean cruise vacation.

What ship were you on that had 24/7 music of any kind? Never seen anything close to that. But what I have seen is a DJ out there ALL afternoon blasting crap that could make your ears bleed, only to be replaced with that friggin giant TV playing so loud that it could make your ears bleed. Even in the morning that damn thing is blasting, then DJ Mixtooloud takes over again at noon.

I don't want steel drums all the time either, but it's better than that rediculous TV. I HATE that thing.

Basically, its the ships that have gone through the 2.0 downgrades thgat lost the live music to the DJ.

Incorrect. This past September, Magic had live music AND a DJ that took turns out on the lido deck.

OP may have taken into account that JH mentioned the possibility of steel drums/Caribbean music being played during sail away from ports.

I do like the steel drums but not all day. I liked the mix of DJ and live music on my last cruise.

I have had live music and a DJ on the Dream in Feb. In 2013 I was also on the Glory, the Breeze, the Freedom and the Ecstasy, and there was a DJ and live singers.

I don't mind the calypso bands, it is fun if they mix it all up. I would hate it if the DJ played all rap and hiphop, Carnival needs to rethink all the house music for the disco too, I don't know why they only play 70s, 80 and 90s until about 11pm.

[sARCASM]24/7 playing of calypso music[/sARCASM]

I say 24/7 only because some (not all) of the pro-calypso music people want that or nothing at all on the Lido deck.

Edited by El CrappyTan

According to John Heald on his FB page, our voice has been heard by the beards at Carnival. Steel drums and caribbean music are coming back to the Lido Deck.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald

I read John's comment on FB also and he did not say anything about Steel Drums anywhere. His words were live bands playing carribbean and cover music. This miss quoting is how things get blown out of porportion twisted around and then John gets the old he lied business. If he did say something somewhere about steel drums please direct us to it because i didn't see that.;) Thanks for sharing... it's great to have live bands back with caribbean music.

Great news. Live duo/trio playing caribbean themed music is great. Carnival, you tell me what ships so I know what to look at. The DJ/Rap all day/Volume at 11 has kept me away. That change puts you back in the running.

I would welcome some live duo/trio playing calypso type music. That's what sets the mood. I haven't heard any of that in a few years. Seems like it has been replaced by the way too loud DJ's that make your ears bleed. Love the action on the Lido, but the music has made me retreat to the lido aft or the serenity area. Any change would be an improvement in my opinion.

Seriously what has happened to this board where 3 or 4 people need to attack the OP for a simple misinterpretation of what JH said? Ridiculous. Some people equate Caribbean music to Steel Drums, so it isn't that far fetched. I just don't get why everyone needs to flame, especially after the OP was already flamed for it. What do you all think? "He they got that wrong and 3 people told them what idiots they are but now I have to further degrade them!"????

In any case I'd welcome more live music but last year JH was saying the same thing on FB. It never happened.

Edited by frayedend

Seriously what has happened to this board where 3 or 4 people need to attack the OP for a simple misinterpretation of what JH said? Ridiculous. Some people equate Caribbean music to Steel Drums, so it isn't that far fetched. I just don't get why everyone needs to flame, especially after the OP was already flamed for it. What do you all think? "He they got that wrong and 3 people told them what idiots they are but now I have to further degrade them!"????

It is not degrading the OP. In my opinion, it is just to cut down on the misinformation and speculation posted here, as well as the bad relationship between John Heald (JH) and the Cruise Critic community.

A few days ago, someone created a thread speculating if Carnival would ever consider eliminating traditional dining times due to a growing interest in flexible dining times. No more than 30 minutes later, there were multiple posts from Cruise Critic members on JH blog demanding Carnival maintain the traditional dining times, to the point where JH had to post a comment.

It seems to me JH has to spend a lot of time defusing the bombs created here at Cruise Critic. If you do not correct the misinformation, then it leads to multiple posts daily on Cruise Critic saying JH lied to them about steel drums coming back to the Lido deck.

Edited by El CrappyTan

It is not degrading the OP. In my opinion, it is just to cut down on the misinformation and speculation posted here, as well as the bad relationship between John Heald (JH) and the Cruise Critic community.

A few days ago, someone created a thread speculating if Carnival would ever consider eliminating traditional dining times due to a growing interest in flexible dining times. No more than 30 minutes later, there were multiple posts from Cruise Critic members on JH blog demanding Carnival maintain the traditional dining times, to the point where JH had to post a comment.

It seems to me JH has to spend a lot of time defusing the bombs created here at Cruise Critic. If you do not correct the misinformation, then it leads to multiple posts daily on Cruise Critic saying JH lied to them about steel drums coming back to the Lido deck.

Not sure why. That post CLEARLY stated that it was a pure speculation thread, yet someone rewrote it, changed the words, and asked the question.

This place is self governing, and usually has the answer already before anything is reposted over there.

Edited by Pine Bluff

That's incorrect.

From what I have read, there has been NO mention that steel bands are coming back.

Thank God.

Can't think of anything more annoying

than tinkly-tinkly steel pan music being played by one or two pans.

Edited by Aplmac

Thank God.

I can. Listening to the DJ on the Liberty blast Welcome to the Jungle while leaving San Juan.

I like Guns N Roses, but not on the Lido deck for a sail a way party.

I'd rather listen to my iPOD.

Thank God.

I consign...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just goes to show, you can't please everyone. I say a nice combination of live music/steel drums and the DJ. The volume doesn't bother me, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to turn it down a tad. If none of that works then by all means plug into your own personal music.