B2B Muster Drill

lexdisic

I have noticed a couple of posts now that say Princess does not require your attendance for a second muster drill when on a B2B. We have recently come back from a Celebrity cruise where it was mandatory to attend one and on a previous B2B, although some time ago, our presence was required. Have the laws changed or has this always been an option for a cruise line ? Just curious.

Legally, since you have not "disembarked" the ship, you do not need a second muster drill, particularly if your cabin (and muster station) have not changed. Some lines obviously don't want to take the trouble to edit muster lists to show who is B2B, and allowed to miss the drill.

I saw where Vickie_Bernie stated the 30 day rule in her blog, but we attended only once in 130 days on the Emerald Princess. Don't know if we slipped through a crack or what.

I was wondering what they had done in your case. Thanks.

I saw where Vickie_Bernie stated the 30 day rule in her blog, but we attended only once in 130 days on the Emerald Princess. Don't know if we slipped through a crack or what.

I'm pretty sure by the halfway mark you could have been the ones doing the muster drill demonstration had you attended each of them. :D

Last year we did a b2b2b around South America. The legs were 19/13/17 days. We did not have to attend the muster drill for either the second or third leg. Since about 80% of the passengers did the three legs, I assume the second and third muster drills were not too crowded.

Times are changing, spurred on by the Costa Concordia tragedy. There was a time when just about all cruise lines excused b to b cruisers from additional muster drills. But we have noticed, in the past year, that most cruise lines will no longer excuse folks from any muster drill. We have recently taken lengthy cruises on both HAL and Celebrity where it was made very clear we had to go to every drill. In fact, on a 28 day HAL cruise (from Quebec to San Diego) we had to attend 3 different muster drills in the first 12 days (Quebec, Boston and Ft Lauderdale). On that cruise there was a lot of passenger grumbling until the Captain made it clear (by an announcement) that any passenger that did not show-up at the drills would be put off the ship!

Not sure if Princess has gone to this policy in recent months, but we will find out soon enough since we are doing a long b to b on Princess later this month.

Our b2b was on the Ruby in December. We enjoyed having our afternoon in the spa pool during the muster drill. We did have a few employees come by to let us know the muster drill was about to happen, but they understood once we told them we had sailed on the previous cruise and had been told attending the second drill was optional.

I think you are allowed to skip it as long as you can recite the entire announcement concerning passenger safety from memory and put on/take off your personal floatation device in 1.5 seconds or less. You certainly have that nailed!!!:D:):D

We were on a b2b on the Ocean Princess last October and were not required to attend the second muster drill. The b2b info delivered at the end of the first leg said attendance was optional

This is how our B2B was on the Island Princess last July as well. We did, however, book as 1 cruise. I don't think that mattered though

This is how our B2B was on the Island Princess last July as well. We did, however, book as 1 cruise. I don't think that mattered though

We had booked ours as three cruises and still did not have to do second or third muster drill

I have to relate the story of our muster drill on Celebrity last year...the Captain had a sense of humor. They do their muster drills in Public Areas and he appears on screen. His spiel went something like this:

"This is the Captain speaking; in the unlikely event that I become incapacipated during an emergency, then the next senior officer - the Hotel Captain - will take over as Captain of the vessel.

In the unlikely event that both myself and the Hotel Captain are incapacitated then the next senior officer - the Chief Engineer will take over.

If all three of us become incapacitated during an emergency, then it should be apparent that this vessel is in a lot of trouble!"

quite funny...

I think you are allowed to skip it as long as you can recite the entire announcement concerning passenger safety from memory and put on/take off your personal floatation device in 1.5 seconds or less. You certainly have that nailed!!!:D:):D

Actually, we had stuffed so much onto that top shelf in the closet where the PFDs are kept that it would have required 10 minutes just to get to them.

(Just kidding...no comments, please. We could have reached them in 5 minutes if our feet were already underwater).

Not sure if Princess has gone to this policy in recent months, but we will find out soon enough since we are doing a long b to b on Princess later this month.

Sailed on a 14 & 17 day b2b last month on the Golden & were not required to attend the 2nd muster drill.