Millennium - Good or Bad - The Ship is Old ?

stefmo

Planning to book a cruise with the Millennium but

Concerned after reading many reviews.

- The ship revealed rust on all parts of the ship including the cabin balcony and furniture and carpeting that needed replacement throughout the ship.

- Cabins were lack lustre and tired looking.

- The ship is old, tired and lacked "soul" especially at night.

- The Oceanview restaurant was poor, lacking choice & often cold.

- Our room was of a poor standard, curtains coming of the rails, handles coming off the doors

- We would not sail on the Millie again until there is a complete refurbishment and the ship has a friendlier look to it

Having previously cruised on Celebrity Equinox and Oceania Cruises.

Can I expect that the Millenium would be of similar standard ?

What are your thoughts ?

What are your thoughts ?

Not a similar standard but not a similar price either. Right itinerary and right price I would sail on Millie again.

- The ship revealed rust on all parts of the ship including the cabin balcony and furniture and carpeting that needed replacement throughout the ship.

- Our room was of a poor standard, curtains coming of the rails, handles coming off the doors

- We would not sail on the Millie again until there is a complete refurbishment and the ship has a friendlier look to it

What are your thoughts ?

I have not been on Millenium, but have been on Connie and Infinity a total of 6 cruises.

I have read cruise reviews that mentioned rust, old, tired and rundown, etc. However, we did not see that on either ship. Sure, you will see a bit of rust now and then. That is common on ocean ships in salt water.

You can't please some of the people all the time or all of the people some of the time.

What are your thoughts ?

My advice is don't believe everything you read!! People who have "negative" experiences are often negative by nature, and much more likely to write a review than those whose experiences were positive. If the ship reviews have extremes, and Millie does, think about why that might be.

We sailed on Millennium last August.

I have an eye for details and I did notice a number of problems, such as:

1. Cracked/shattered glass panel in the atrium ceiling

2. Gross brown scum at the waterline in the atrium pool

3. Rust on balcony railing

4. Spattered white paint on the orange lifeboats

5. Carpet edges coming up

6. Shower control handle in men's locker room came off in my hand

7. Persistent sewer smell coming from our stateroom bathroom (must keep the bathroom door shut all the time)

I decided to stop looking for these deficiencies because it was impairing my vacation experience.

My wife does not have the same eye for detail and therefore she has a very different opinion about the ship.

So I guess it all depends on whether you sweat the small stuff and whether you notice such details.

We have sailed on Millie and Summit within the past year. The ships are in great condition for their age, and the furnishings are updated. X works hard to keep things looking nice. On the flip side though, many cut backs are occurring and these are having an impact on level and quality of service. If your expectations are based on value and not traditional X service, you will be fine. If you are expecting traditional X service while onboard, you may be disappointed.

Did you read any positive reviews where people really enjoyed themselves? What was the overall ratings for Millennium?

Don't just take the negative, take an overall picture.

Nothing wrong with the Millie.

The last cruise on her a year ago, was one of the best ever. :rolleyes:

Celebrity keeps their ships...."ship shape".

Don't try to make a problem, out of one, that is not a problem, to begin with. Be positive!

Millie is old but there isn't anything crazy wrong with her. We were very happy to sail her and would be happy to sail her again. If you look for things - you will find them - but then you will find them on any ship. If you find the right itinerary and the right price - sail her, she isn't a Solstice class ship but she's just fine. We sailed on her last May.

I think some people's concern, including mine, is that the mid-summer Alaska rates on Millie are not cheap. Furthermore, we are traveling with our entire family (6 cabins), some of whom usually sail on Crystal & Oceania, so I am rather concerned about the condition of the ship.

My parents have sailed on 2 Solstice class ships with us & had a fabulous time. I would hate for them to change their opinion of X if the Millie truly has frayed carpets & a significant amount of rust. For the amount they are paying for their suite, they would have a right to be unhappy.

My brother's family have never been on a Celebrity ship, I wouldn't want them to have a bad first impression. Especially since we've been debating the merits of HAL & Oceania (their choices) vs. our beloved X for years....of course I don't want to lose! : )

We sailed on Millennium a couple years ago (soon after her Solstilization) and she was as beautiful as she was 10 years ago, but after reading recent reviews, I am concerned. We have a couple weeks until final payment is due & I am wondering if we should consider canceling.

Edited by 3girlsmom

No matter if a ship is brand spanking new or 20 years old, if you go on a cruise and you go around looking for problems/issues you will certainly find them. I'm sure there has been rust on my balconies, frayed carpet, ect. on all of my over 30 cruises, but to be perfectly honest I never noticed; must have been having to much fun.

If small issues on a ship will ruin your vacation and is a deal breaker, I would recommend only cruising on the newer ships, there is a lesser chance of seeing any of these issues.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Nothing wrong that can't be repaired...door hinges are rusting so doors to the cabins are falling off. Many of the beds are on the floor due to collapsed bedframes. A few of the rooms still have running water and toilets that flush and they have managed to contain the rats from eating in the buffet at the same time as other passengers. Passengers are catching norovirus as they check in on embarkation and everyone is confined to their rooms for the length of the cruise. (Is this a loose summation of the reports you must have been reading?).

Fortunately, we sailed on her for 28 wonderful days earlier this year in Asia prior to the what must have been the very sudden deterioration you've found in all those negative posts.

Our perspective is that it's a very nice ship, in very good condition and we'd sail on the Millennium again in a heartbeat if it were sailing somewhere we wanted to go.

Nothing wrong that can't be repaired...door hinges are rusting so doors to the cabins are falling off. Many of the beds are on the floor due to collapsed bedframes. A few of the rooms still have running water and toilets that flush and they have managed to contain the rats from eating in the buffet at the same time as other passengers. Passengers are catching norovirus as they check in on embarkation and everyone is confined to their rooms for the length of the cruise. (Is this a loose summation of the reports you must have been reading?).

Fortunately, we sailed on her for 28 wonderful days earlier this year in Asia prior to the what must have been the very sudden deterioration you've found in all those negative posts.

Our perspective is that it's a very nice ship, in very good condition and we'd sail on the Millennium again in a heartbeat if it were sailing somewhere we wanted to go.

Thanks for the humor! We board tomorrow and are looking forward to our voyage on athoroughly sanitized (if not thoroughly modern) Millie!t

We sailed on Millennium for 14 nights 3 months ago and she was just beautiful. I have 3 previous cruises on Royal Caribbean ships to compare to and found the ship well maintained, beautifully fitted out and certainly not looking old and tired. But then I couldn't care less about a little rust on the balcony railing or a rail that needs painting (which I never looked for or noticed). They scrubbed and polished the whole ship when she had an unscheduled drydock last August and it was gleaming.

The cabin was spotless and beautifully appointed, and the restaurants, bars, and lounges lovely. The pool deck was fmore spacious than the previous ships we have sailed on, with many lovely padded lounges and chairs, and pool butlers bringing cold towels around on hot days. The service was impeccable, and I'm not sure that the food would be different to any other Celebrity ship, although I did find the food on Royal Caribbean slightly better (my opinion only), but still managed to thoroughly enjoy many dishes and put on too much weight.

I am one of the ones that wrote a very positive review and I honestly find it hard to believe the negatives that some people complain about. Yes it's not a brand new ship, but then do these people only live in houses that are less than 14 years old, or go to only brand new hotels? Why does a few more years sailing make a ship old and tired when they are constantly maintained to a high standard, in a difficult (sea air and water) environment that will cause some wear and tear. If they are looking for a bigger ship or ones with ice rinks or glass blowing etc, then they will be dissapointed, but Millennium is a magnificent ship in the 90 000 ton size range that has plenty of entertainment options.

We loved the Millennium and would sail on her again in a heartbeat.

Don't expect the same MDR experience as Oceania. Not even close. Was on Oceania about 3 months ago and the food was excellent. Celebrity is ok most of the time but there specialty restaurants are very good so you might want to spend extra money and go there. One drawback the ship is small and I did miss the larger ship.

Good news the rats are still there........It would be worrying if they left ;)

I love reading to reviews (the bad ones are pretty funny at times ) it's curious how people on the same ship at the same time can have such different experiences

Expect the worse and be pleasantly surprised

I'm not sure if the length of the cruise affects the reviews but I've found staying anyway for too long makes me go slightly stir crazy and would guess little niggles could be a major issue after a while

I've sailed on the Millennium twice, in 2012 and 2013, both post solstization.

They are older refurbished ships. My biggest gripe is the layout and service in the Oceanview cafe at breakfast/ lunch. Horrible service and layout, no seating and crowded . Lord of the flies....

I also sailed on the Infinity twice last year.. No difference.

I won't sail on any Celebrity ship that isn't solstice class going forward.

Millie was only launched in 2000 so is just coming up to 14 yrs old, would anyone consider a Hotel to be past its sell by date once it was that old?

The regularity of new ship launches seems to make us assume that we must cruise on the newest ships available, but as long as the cruise lines ensure that decorations and soft furnishings are kept in tip top condition, and are well maintained then ships should last for decades.

Edited by terrierjohn

Hi Stefmo I was in your shoes 12 months ago when I booked a 14 night cruise on the Millie for January 2014. I almost cancelled after reading the reviews on cruise critic. Let me say straight out that I'm glad I didn't. I believe I have an eye for detail after spending 30 years in the hospitality industry and have travelled extensively. I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the ship, the excellent food and wonderful crew. Yes if you go looking for issues you will find them but no more than any other ship for its age. I agree with other posters that the ship is beautifully maintained. Yes it's not a new ship but it's still modern and by no means a rust bucket that some reviewers would have you thinking. Compare apples with apples. If your looking for an ultra modern ship with all the latest attractions then it may not be for you. If your looking for an elegant ship that feels relaxed but still looks like it's wearing its best Sunday suit then Millie won't disappoint. As posters have said in the past it's like your favorite armchair, why do you keep going back to it? Because it's comfortable and makes you feel good. This applies not only to the surroundings but the crew as well who will do whatever it takes for you to have an enjoyable vacation ( within reason of course). As they say the proof is in the pudding and the pudding was so good that we booked our second cruise on the Millie for the following year. The ship will be 15 years old then but you know what, unless the wheels fall off the ship's leadership I expect that I will walk onto that ship in 12 months time and feel like I never left which is exactly what I want. Final word of advice - if you do decide to book the Millie then stop reading the reviews, at least the negative ones. I know it's hard to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I remember our first Celebrity cruise on Infinity in December 2011. It was the first cruise after Solstization. The ship looked fantastic.

Yet I remember having a conversation at the Sunset Bar with a gentleman that had several cruises on Celebrity. He complained that there was a crack in his bathroom light fixture. He complained that the solstization had added more cabins to the ship, with more people, making it more crowded. He said he would never cruise again on such a ship.

It seemed strange to me, since the ship did not seem more crowded than we expected. Subsequently, we have been on six more Celebrity cruises, all but one on M class. We very much enjoy Celebrity.

Sometimes people just want to find something to complain about.

Of course, when I read reviews when someone complains about the toilet overflowing or water leaking into their cabin, or their AC doesn't work, I can understand that kind of complaint.

We have had minor issues on X cruises like our balcony door sqeeking where the maintenance people were very quick to respond.

We were on the Millie for 14 days in March, 2014 in Southeast Asia. In my opinion, the ships needs an update. Too many of the public rooms appeared dated. There are also some minor maintenance issues on deck. Do not expect the same quality as on Crystal...Crystal is in a different league. Our Millie cruise was back-to-back with a 68-day cruise on Seabourn, and the Seabourn Sojourn was of far superior quality in design and maintenance, but you pay for that, a lot! I tried to avoid the Oceanview which was often a free-for-all, or I hid in a corner away from the crowds. But on the whole, I thought the Millie to be a good buy, and I enjoyed my cruise.

We were on the Millie for 14 days in March, 2014 in Southeast Asia. In my opinion, the ships needs an update. Too many of the public rooms appeared dated. There are also some minor maintenance issues on deck. Do not expect the same quality as on Crystal...Crystal is in a different league. Our Millie cruise was back-to-back with a 68-day cruise on Seabourn, and the Seabourn Sojourn was of far superior quality in design and maintenance, but you pay for that, a lot! I tried to avoid the Oceanview which was often a free-for-all, or I hid in a corner away from the crowds. But on the whole, I thought the Millie to be a good buy, and I enjoyed my cruise.

I've cruised on Crystal many times, just as I have on Celebrity and trust me they also have the same small issues. If someone goes on a cruise with the intention of looking for issues, they will find them no matter what ship they are on. My favorite complaint is that there was rust...well, hello you are on a ship in the middle of the sea, of course there will be some rust somewhere on the ship.