Dottie Drake, Cruise Director

Caroldoll

"Because that's the name she has always used - her maiden name - Drake is her married name. I always knew her as Dottie Kalusa and just recently, it was listed as Drake. I guess Tom thought as long as they were married, she should use his name.:rolleyes:Arlene

It is strange, since the pre-cruise docs said Drake and then on board it was Kalusa. I guess she doesn't want people to make the connection with Tom.

It is strange, since the pre-cruise docs said Drake and then on board it was Kalusa. I guess she doesn't want people to make the connection with Tom.

She was known as Kalusa long before she married Tom

so people may know her better by Kalusa

I remember her name from years ago

• 7 months later...

Dottie is just a "special" person and a great CD. We would sail year around if we could be on her ship (and if we could afford it of course). We have sailed with her many times--probably over 100 days or so and have never been disappointed--except when the Vikings lose to the Steelers--ARGHHHH!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I enjoyed sailing with and meeting both Dottie and Tom. Great people!However, her verbose frequent announcements were most annoying.

I noted in my comment card that her shilling for bingo games and constant rehashing of activity schedules makes for a "Carnivalization" of the Oceania experience.

I agree with these assessments. On our cruise for the first 7 days I thought she was the best CD we ever had. Mingled with the guests constantly and was always seeing how she could be helpful. Then in the second week things went downhill. Pushing the bingo was just one of many negative aspects but the worse was her increasingly bad jokes. She was only outdone in that department by her husband Tom. We thought the entertainment on this cruise was the best except for Tom's sessions.

Even with these faults she was still better than many CDs.

I agree with these assessments. On our cruise for the first 7 days I thought she was the best CD we ever had. Mingled with the guests constantly and was always seeing how she could be helpful. Then in the second week things went downhill. Pushing the bingo was just one of many negative aspects but the worse was her increasingly bad jokes. She was only outdone in that department by her husband Tom. We thought the entertainment on this cruise was the best except for Tom's sessions.

Even with these faults she was still better than many CDs.

We have been on three cruises with Dottie and her husband, Tom. We found Dottie to be an excellent CD. The jokes she told before each show were very funny and very well received by the audience. We also never missed Tom's shows which were always very well attended. We found his humor refreshing and had everyone loudly laughing. I realize everyone has their own opinions about what is funny but judging from the audience reactions on all the shows from the three cruises you are in the minority.

We had Dottie on Regatta recently. She seems nice. Enjoyed the line dancing classes on sea days. Don't do trivia. I did find her 3-4X daily announcements annoying. Never encountered that before. That's why we get Currents.

Actually saw the Captain around the ship quite a bit but never her.

Went to see Tom once as I have heard so much about him. He is soo not funny. It was painful. I left before I started crying. 😉

I don't much care who the CD is. But I must say I would prefer anyone who didn't make multitudinous announcements.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't much care who the CD is. But I must say I would prefer anyone who didn't make multitudinous announcements.

Mo

Agreed. The only more annoying thing was the CD who made really important announcements at the END of the show about the next day activities. It was a few days into the cruise before we realized that we were missing important announcements unless we stayed until the end of the show.

Mary

We had Dottie on Regatta recently. She seems nice. Enjoyed the line dancing classes on sea days. Don't do trivia. I did find her 3-4X daily announcements annoying. Never encountered that before. That's why we get Currents.

Actually saw the Captain around the ship quite a bit but never her.

Went to see Tom once as I have heard so much about him. He is soo not funny. It was painful. I left before I started crying. 😉

Mo

We totally agree with you regarding Tom Drake. We don't find hacks insulting Walmart and Post Office employees funny....we find them nasty and mean spirited...we also walked out of his show.