River Cruising Roll Calls

Host Jazzbeau

There have been a lot of complaints that the River Cruising Roll Calls forum doesn’t work because of the small number of passengers on each sailing.

Now that I’ve got the River Cruising forum under control [i think ;)], I’d like to figure out how to make the River Cruising Roll Calls work better.

I have analyzed the most recent third of the threads, and find that most threads are traditional Roll Calls [i.e. trying to find fellow passengers on a particular river cruise]. Because of the small number of cabins on river ships, these threads rarely attract very many posters or posts.

There is also a recent trend to start what I call Omnibus Roll Calls: all cruises on a particular river or a particular cruise line, often limited by year or by ship. These sometimes get more activity, but I suspect that they are hard to find because of variations in naming* (and because this is still a new concept).

[* The list of all the threads I could find is appended as a pdf]

So my question to you all is: should I try to standardize the Omnibus Roll Calls in an effort to make them easier to find?

And if so, what is the most useful grouping?

Line – River – Year would sweep in a large enough audience to be viable, but many questions would relate to features that are common across many cruise lines.

River – Year would gather all those common questions, but would lose the focus on each line’s unique features.

Line – Year would have the opposite strengths/weaknesses.

Or should I forget it and let each OP make up their own category?

Comments? Suggestions?

River Cruise Omnibus Roll Calls.pdf

There have been a lot of complaints that the River Cruising Roll Calls forum doesn’t work because of the small number of passengers on each sailing.

Now that I’ve got the River Cruising forum under control [i think ;)], I’d like to figure out how to make the River Cruising Roll Calls work better.

I have analyzed the most recent third of the threads, and find that most threads are traditional Roll Calls [i.e. trying to find fellow passengers on a particular river cruise]. Because of the small number of cabins on river ships, these threads rarely attract very many posters or posts.

There is also a recent trend to start what I call Omnibus Roll Calls: all cruises on a particular river or a particular cruise line, often limited by year or by ship. These sometimes get more activity, but I suspect that they are hard to find because of variations in naming* (and because this is still a new concept).

[* The list of all the threads I could find is appended as a pdf]

So my question to you all is: should I try to standardize the Omnibus Roll Calls in an effort to make them easier to find?

And if so, what is the most useful grouping?

Line – River – Year would sweep in a large enough audience to be viable, but many questions would relate to features that are common across many cruise lines.

River – Year would gather all those common questions, but would lose the focus on each line’s unique features.

Line – Year would have the opposite strengths/weaknesses.

Or should I forget it and let each OP make up their own category?

Comments? Suggestions?

If I understand the proposals correctly, I'd opt for LINE-YEAR. The river questions could be covered under the Ports umbrella elsewhere.

If I understand the proposals correctly, I'd opt for LINE-YEAR. The river questions could be covered under the Ports umbrella elsewhere.

So would you like to see threads by LINE-YEAR in the roll calls and by RIVER in the ports forum?

I'm also open to other proposals -- these are just the ones that came to mind.

So would you like to see threads by LINE-YEAR in the roll calls and by RIVER in the ports forum?

I'm also open to other proposals -- these are just the ones that came to mind.

For example, if I were looking for a roll call for my cruise, I'd look for a title of "Vantage 2015". I think that would cover several options, and thereby, maybe, getting more activity.

As a first time River cruiser I have been focusing on looking for cruise line first then itinerary when I've been trying to find out info. But I'm also not an experienced CC poster so I may not be one to speak.

What I keep thinking is that I want to find out what my cruise line is up to no matter what River they are on. So I focus on that first. Since there isn't ever anyone else on my particular cruise I feel that is the best bet for specific cruise line info.

Next I look for my itinerary so I can find out what to expect, regardless of cruise line. That way I get the most volume of posts to look thru.

Kathy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I like the Itinerary/Year format. Face it, the chance of meeting anyone on your sailing is very small, so the same reason to have a Roll Call on River Cruises differs from Ocean cruises.

Last season I started a Roll Call for All Seine River cruises and it was very informational and successful. It allowed the few of us to share any information.

This year I'm taking an Avalon Rhine Cruise. I have gleaned lots of information about the Rhine ports from past cruisers of various lines. Basically all the lines do the same thing. Some of the excursions are optional on some lines, and some lines are included all excursions. Amsterdam is Amsterdam:)

I think it does make it easier to TRY to find another CCer by having the LINE-YEAR (Vantage 2014; AMA 2015 etc).

BUT...I have also found it very helpful when I have seen the specific River cruise named (Normandy, Russia, etc) because I have been able to read specifics about tours, dinners, optionals, etc that others have taken. Could we have a LISTING with just the trips per line with the discussions held in other threads?

LINE/YEAR just for listing who is traveling when

ITINERARY for discussion of all things Rhine, Seine, Normandy, Russia , etc. (not necessarily port specific)

Edited by pbnjrockette

How about this:

River Cruising Roll Calls - stickies at the top for:

AMA

American Cruise Line

Avalon

CroisiEurope

Gate 1

Grand Circle

Pandaw

Scenic

Tauck

Uniworld

Vantage

Viking

Ports - stickies at the top for:

Africa

Black Sea

Bordeaux

China

Chocolate Theme

Christmas Markets

Danube East (Budapest – Bucharest)

Danube West (Amsterdam – Budapest

Jewish Heritage

Mosel (Amsterdam – Luxembourg)

Myanmar (Burma)

Nile

Rhine (Amsterdam – Basel)

Rhone & Saone (Chalon – Arles)

Russia

Seine (Paris – Normandy)

Spain & Portugal

Tulip Time

Vietnam & Cambodia

Wine Theme

Would that help? [People could still start more specialized threads in each forum.]

I prefer Itinerary/Year instead of Line/year.

If I am travelling with, for example, Scenic on the Rhone - I am more interested in connecting with other people travelling the Rhone - instead of those travelling with Scenic on other itineraries.

But, that is because I am (usually) more interested in the trip than I am in the boat itself.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Fran

I agree with Fran on itinerary/ yr. We were both doing a southern France itinerary this year and on differernt lines, but paricipated on a thread something like "All Southern France Itineraries". Good sharing of info on that one.

Becki

Jazzbeau,

Just a quick note. Whatever you decide, we all want to thank you for taking the bull by the horns and doing something to fix river cruise roll calls!!

As someone who's posted roll calls for three river cruises and never connected, I really appreciate your efforts to make the roll calls better!

Thanks again!

FuelScience

I agree with Fran on itinerary/ yr. We were both doing a southern France itinerary this year and on differernt lines, but paricipated on a thread something like "All Southern France Itineraries". Good sharing of info on that one.

Becki

I like the idea of ITINERARY for DISCUSSION (i.e Southern France, Russia, Spain/Portugal, etc.) but also have the LINES/YEAR (no discussion) just for listing the trips on the off chance someone is traveling with you.

How about this:

AMA

American Cruise Line

Avalon

CroisiEurope

Gate 1

Grand Circle

Pandaw

Scenic

Tauck

Uniworld

Vantage

Viking

Africa

Black Sea

Bordeaux

China

Chocolate Theme

Christmas Markets

Jewish Heritage

Myanmar (Burma)

Nile

Russia

Seine (Paris – Normandy)

Spain & Portugal

Tulip Time

Vietnam & Cambodia

Wine Theme

Would that help? [People could still start more specialized threads in each forum.]

The problem is, some folks only post the port information they have found in the roll call and not the port thread. In the port threads it is against CC rules to come on and say Guys I found a fabulous tour. . .the guide was awesome. Plus many CC'rs only post when they are planning their cruise and then they move on. So if you have a question, there is nobody to answer.

Jazz, you are doing a great job, this is in no way a criticism on your idea. Just me using my experiences here on CC to form an opinion.

Wow!!!You go away for a few months and lots of changes---good ones. Jazzbeau, this is a mammoth undertaking for you, We are all glad you are trying to organize the forum.

Agree with Fran that it should be itinerary/year. It has worked well for tip sharing. Think if it is isolated line/year that many will ignore the lines they do not like or don't want to travel again. With our 20th river cruise coming up in Dec., we have used the itinerary/year to a great advantage--lots of info sharing.

Again, thanks for all your hard work. Pat

How about this:

AMA

American Cruise Line

Avalon

CroisiEurope

Gate 1

Grand Circle

Pandaw

Scenic

Tauck

Uniworld

Vantage

Viking

Africa

Black Sea

Bordeaux

China

Chocolate Theme

Christmas Markets

Jewish Heritage

Myanmar (Burma)

Nile

Russia

Seine (Paris – Normandy)

Spain & Portugal

Tulip Time

Vietnam & Cambodia

Wine Theme

I cannot decide between the line/cruise/date or this one! I think biggest problem is fact that not enough river cruisers are on CC to make roll call work as well as it does for the big ships. I know I've never found anyone who's going on the same trip as I am and yet the boats are always full! I like the idea of being able to comment/ask questions on ports, but I have to admit, I couldn't figure out how to add my cruise to the list. Someone, and I suspect it was YOU, added my info to the board:). Perhaps a brief instruction would be helpful, 'cause I still don't know how you did it.:D

Hydrokitty..

That would be me (Pat) that added your trip to the Vantage list. I just did a cut and paste and re-added the whole list into a new reply then typed in the addition of your trip. A bit trickier is the sizes and colors of the fonts for the years!!

Wow!!!You go away for a few months and lots of changes---good ones. Jazzbeau, this is a mammoth undertaking for you, We are all glad you are trying to organize the forum.

Agree with Fran that it should be itinerary/year. It has worked well for tip sharing. Think if it is isolated line/year that many will ignore the lines they do not like or don't want to travel again. With our 20th river cruise coming up in Dec., we have used the itinerary/year to a great advantage--lots of info sharing.

Again, thanks for all your hard work. Pat

And the reverse of that is, if set up by itinerary/year, I'm subjected to having to wade through those lines that I'm not interested in (maybe for good reason) to find out information. Much like it is now.

I would prefer the Line/Year proposal. I'll admit upfront that I prefer this model because Tauck have so few supporters on these boards that it could turn out to be the smallest of the threads and a heck of a lot easier for me to find out that so few Tauck clients actually frequent these boards. I guess I'll find out when I start my own roll-call for our August sailing in late June.

Rod

I would prefer the Line/Year proposal. I'll admit upfront that I prefer this model because Tauck have so few supporters on these boards that it could turn out to be the smallest of the threads and a heck of a lot easier for me to find out that so few Tauck clients actually frequent these boards. I guess I'll find out when I start my own roll-call for our August sailing in late June.

Rod

I have to agree. I would especially like to see all Viking cruises grouped together. That would make it much easier to find the lesser used cruises.