Opinions please -- Tipping "extra" to the cabin stewards when sailing solo

CowPrincess

I'll be solo on my next cruise. When DH and I sail we usually tip the cabin stewards extra (and leave the HSC in place).

I'm looking for opinions here. Since the cabin stewards will only be getting their portion of ONE HSC (since I'm solo) do you think I should tip extra-extra? e.g.,

a. should I add (roughly) the amount they'd be getting from the HSC from a 2nd person in the cabin PLUS what I'd consider a "normal" tip?

b. should I just tip half of what DH and I would normally tip?

c. should I tip the entire amount that DH and I would normally tip?

So, 3 options. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would give the equivalent of the 2 person per cabin tip. And if they went above and beyond I would give a little extra.

It's a touchy subject so I'm sure you will get lots of opinions. Do what feels right to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You shouldn't have to tip double. You are already paying for an invisible person. Hal should shore up their tips from that. That said, I always leave my hsc in place and almost always leave extra for my stewards. Both of my stewards went out of their way to thank me for the extra on the Westy. Something tells me they didn't see much extra from others.

After seeing what I saw on the Maasdam at the Front Desk (people removing hsc which amazed me as the food and service on this ship was just fine), and recognizing I have not travelled solo my thoughts are:

a tip from one person who does not remove the hsc outweighs the potential tip from a cabin of 2 or 4 who may/may not tip extra and may even remove the hsc.

My thoughts on tipping extra are on the record on the boards and we do tip extra for good service and happily so.

that being said, I don't think you should be penalized as a solo passenger and have to tip double - but that's JMO.

Some are more generous tippers than others and if you are one of those (and I suspect you are since you asked the question) then your tip as a solo may well be more than what they would receive from other cabins.

No one knows the right thing to do but you, but those are my thoughts for what they are worth.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving the hotel service charge at the rate that Holland America set. I assume that it is fairly equitable or staff would never sign a second contract. If you want to tip extra go ahead, but don't feel that you have to.

We always tip the room steward extra if they do a good job. I've never sailed solo so I think this is an interesting question. I would probably still give the same amount as I would for two. But if that's too much, why not split the difference and give them one and a half times instead of double? Either way you do it, your room steward will be a happy guy! (Or girl)

I'll be solo on my next cruise. When DH and I sail we usually tip the cabin stewards extra (and leave the HSC in place).

I'm looking for opinions here. Since the cabin stewards will only be getting their portion of ONE HSC (since I'm solo) do you think I should tip extra-extra? e.g.,

a. should I add (roughly) the amount they'd be getting from the HSC from a 2nd person in the cabin PLUS what I'd consider a "normal" tip?

b. should I just tip half of what DH and I would normally tip?

c. should I tip the entire amount that DH and I would normally tip?

So, 3 options. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This is really a conundrum! ;) LOL

Realize HAL is charging you double for your cabin, but are they also charging you the HSC for two people or just one HSC per day?

IMO b. would be the answer, but others might think more...I think your Stewards would be most appreciative if you left the HSC in place & added 1/2 of what you would normally give them if you were with your DH..

P.S..Hopefully those who travel SOLO more often like Ruth, will weigh in here..

Edited by serendipity1499

When I cruised solo on DCL in Feb, I left the gratuities in place and added extra as I saw fit. My cabin steward got some extra as he was fantastic. And the servers my sister and I ended up with (we were able to move to our own table - she was a crew member/officer on the ship and had been granted permission to eat with me, and we wanted if possible to not have to have her answer zillions of questions as she had to wear her Whites) - I tipped them in cash the same as what my assigned servers received from the gratuities I had pre-paid. And in spite of even my sister saying I could have the tips for the servers either removed or moved to the new servers we had, I left the prepaid ones with my originally assigned servers as it was not their fault we chose to move to a different table and that was not in their section. So essentially I paid double dining server tips, but I chose to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First, I think it's very nice that you are even thinking about this. To me, that shows you are "good people." :)

I'd be inclined to play it by ear make my determination about the extra tip based on performance. If you get great service and feel like you want to give the same amount you would when traveling as a couple, I think that would be most generous, and it would definitely be appreciated.

I think your stewards will appreciate anything you give them above and beyond the HSC.

P.S..Hopefully those who travel SOLO more often like Ruth, will weigh in here..

As solo cruisers many of us don't know how much couples are tipping their room stewards so can't really comment on the comparison. I like to think the tips I leave are generous.

I never thought about adding a second equivalent of the HSC onto the tip to make up for the missing person. But I did give both stewards identical extra tips (and of course they got the regular HSC), and I made sure I kept the cabin neat to make their job easier. They still tidied up 2-3 times a day.

i was on the n/a this month. i purchased thank you notes from the dollar

store before leaving. i wrote in each one my appreciation & tipped my

cabin stewards, laundry people who did such a great job, the consierges

& my table server.

i also tipped room service for every delivery.

btw, this was the best cruise ever!

As solo cruisers many of us don't know how much couples are tipping their room stewards so can't really comment on the comparison. I like to think the tips I leave are generous.

I travel solo. I leave the HSC in place. Since I rarely see the Main Dining Room (from New Orleans, do not cruise for the food), I cannot speak to that. However, I always tip my steward in advance, room service, and bartenders. Oh, and the wonderful members of the crew who get me on/off the ship in a wheelchair!

Excellent question

I would leave the Hotel Service Charge in place (we have never removed the Hotel Service Charge).

As to giving an extra tip to your cabin steward. Only you can decide if he/she should get something and how much. It all depends on how well he/she takes care of the cabin and you.

I know I will get flamed for this, but if the stewards do the job they are being paid for, like making the bed and putting clean towels in the bathroom and vacuuming, does that mean you are suppose to tip extra? What do you mean by going beyond their duties? We do not expect them to pick up our clothes or put away items we may leave out. On a number occasions on our last Maasdam cruise I went and got ice. No problem, no fuss it had melted. We don't want to "stiff" them, but if they simply do their job, are they suppose to be rewarded extra for that? Help me understand the logic?

Edited by boards

I know I will get flamed for this, but if the stewards do the job they are being paid for, like making the bed and putting clean towels in the bathroom and vacuuming, does that mean you are suppose to tip extra? What do you mean by going beyond their duties? We do not expect them to pick up our clothes or put away items we may leave out. On a number occasions on our last Maasdam cruise I went and got ice. No problem, no fuss it had melted. We don't want to "stiff" them, but if they simply do their job, are they suppose to be rewarded extra for that? Help me understand the logic?

I am an early riser, and I prefer to spend evenings on the veranda reading. I tip the steward in advance when I politely request early morning and evening service if possible, since this may not be the usual order of service among the assigned cabins.

After seeing what I saw on the Maasdam at the Front Desk (people removing hsc which amazed me as the food and service on this ship was just fine).quote]

Makes me see RED!!!!! HAL need to something about 'hsc'. Anyone who wants to remove their hsc must write their reasons and their answer to the GRM or Hotel Manager. Grrrrrr!

What makes me red? Because the most of us are fine with the service and food and know what hsc is all about and we know that most of us are likely to an additional tip. That is fine... additional or not.

The thing is that passengers that are nothing than cheapskates are nothing than STEALING.... not only to the waiters etc, but stealing from those passengers who tip additional. That tip is for OUR waiters for the work that WE have paid for.... as a grauity. Passengers additional tip are adding for the crew. The cheapskates are just STEALING!:mad:

End of rant!

How about this.... if you want you hsc removed... your name should be posted on the front page of the Daily News. Unless you have a valid reason for removiong hsc.

No flaming from me. I agree with you to a certain extent. If the staff are doing their jobs that they are paid for, I don't necessarily tip extra beyond the HSC, which I always leave in place. However, when they go above and beyond their regular duties, I would give an additional gratuity.

For example, a week before one cruise, I fell and hurt my back. The only thing that helped was ice. I took an ice bag, and asked my steward to fill it on the first morning of the cruise. After that day, that ice bag was filled every day when they serviced the room. To me, that was above and beyond.

As I said on another thread, I tip based on my value of the service provided. If I value that service I give an additional tip. If they are merely doing what is expected then I do not give an additional tip.

For a solo traveller, I would still use the same philosophy - my value for the service provided. I think a solo who is paying double for the cabin, should not be further penalized by being expected to pay double the tips. To the OP, I would just pay half of what you and your DH would ordinarily pay, based on your value of the service provided.

I agree with you. Some people on this board have a low bar for "above and beyond." We leave the HSC in place and only rarely have had the kind of service that we'd feel inclined to give extra.

Solo cruiser here. I usually give the room stewards extra to cover the tip they're not getting from the 2nd passenger. Just my preference and I wouldn't fault anyone if they didn't go the same. My stewards have always seemed appreciative.

Roz

Even if I travel with family or friends, I always get my own cabin. I think that a single person in a cabin is less work than 2 or 3 or 4 people in the same cabin...well for normal people that is. You use less towels..things are less cluttered so their job is easier to do than some cabins I have seen where it seems a clothes bomb has exploded in it!!! I may only give one HSC for my cruise but I think that I spend more than some families because I eat at the surcharge restaurants, hang out at the spa and have a couple of cocktails:)

I read somewhere that 20$ for a 7 day cruise was the norm for a single person. I usually leave the same thing in hotel rooms for the maid. The norm is between 2 and 3$ per person, per night. I apply the same thing for room stewards.

I also think that the people who tip the room stewards are the minority. Most people leave nothing more so I don't feel guilty about not paying double for the HSC. I pay almost double for my cabin!

I travel solo a lot. If the steward and/or wait staff are exceptional, I tip extra, if not I don't.

And I do not feel guilty that they are not getting two tips out of my cabin.

bolding mine

I think you have identified exactly what my issue is :D Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

I usually travel solo.... I leave the HSC in place and I usually give the stewards somewhat more than I would if I were sharing .. in other words, I split the difference. However, on one cruise when I was by myself I got really sick .... my stewards checked in on me regularly and saw I had what I needed, even calling in the evening before going off duty to be sure I had everything I needed. Needless to say I gave them a very generous tip!!!

Susan