Catching Flight from Rome at 11:20am?

cruisingxpert

Riviera arrives in Civitavecchia Port at 6am if all goes well. If I reserve a car

to pick me up at Port as soon as I can get off, will I be able to make the connection?

CJ

In a word, No.

To begin with, you'd need to be at the airport by 9:20 at the latest and there is no way that is going to happen.

Jim beat me to it but I would have said the same. The port is just too far away.

How about spending a night there and then flying back? If that isn't possible, then you need the later one- or multi-stop flight.

Good luck!

Mura

The last time we disembarked in Rome I contacted a limo service to ask what time I needed to be picked up to make a 12:30 flight. They responded that I needed four hours from the port and was picked up at 8:15 and had plenty of time to spare. I would suggest doing the same. Of course, indicate the day of week and month to accurately take traffic into account.

We were on the Marina this last October and had an early flight on USAir FCO-PHL-SAN. Our flight was at 11:50am.

We arranged a driver using RomeCabs and our driver was there waiting for us at 7:30am as requested.

When will filled out our disembarkation paperwork on the Marina, we requested the early departure off the ship. (There were people leaving even earlier than us)

Our flight was on a Saturday and it only took us about 35 minutes to the airport. We were there with much time to spare but our driver said on weekdays there is more traffic and can take 1hr to 1.5 to get to airport.

While there is no guarantee things will go smoothly, I think you can make it if you arrange for a driver (RomeCabs was excellent, using them again this June) and get off the ship as soon as possible. Maybe 7am?

I also think if you get a car service you won't have a problem. Also RomanCab was a really good car service-right on time, clean car good driver, couldn't ask for anything better.

Rick

We were on the Marina this last October and had an early flight on USAir FCO-PHL-SAN. Our flight was at 11:50am.

We arranged a driver using RomeCabs and our driver was there waiting for us at 7:30am as requested.

When will filled out our disembarkation paperwork on the Marina, we requested the early departure off the ship. (There were people leaving even earlier than us)

Our flight was on a Saturday and it only took us about 35 minutes to the airport. We were there with much time to spare but our driver said on weekdays there is more traffic and can take 1hr to 1.5 to get to airport.

While there is no guarantee things will go smoothly, I think you can make it if you arrange for a driver (RomeCabs was excellent, using them again this June) and get off the ship as soon as possible. Maybe 7am?

Sure, there are always going to be people who jumped the shark and made it, but if just one of your fellow passengers messes up his Customs declaration, everybody has to wait on the ship until it is fixed, and you know how bureaucrats are.

WorkComic1.JPG

All the While, the Clock is ticking, the Cab is waiting, you're sweating about the traffic and THEN you have the security line at the airport to contend with.....:eek:

You're just coming off what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

Be kind to yourself for a change, and take the next flight.

As some have said, if everything goes according to plan, it can be done. But you're taking a chance. This is Italy, and the uncertainties associated with disembarkation time, traffic, airport check in, security lines, etc are daunting. We've flown out of FCO twice in the past five years, and I don't think I'd chance an 11:20 am flight. The risk of things going wrong is too high (for me).

Besides, Rome is a wonderful place to spend a couple of days.

Hope that helps.

We are trying to catch a flight that departure at 11.10 from Rome, our TA says we will be able to! We are not flying overseas so we don't have to be there 3h before but about 2 i think.

Anyone think it's a big chance that we will miss our flight?

Sopwith has summed it up - it is Italy. Anything can (and most likely will) go wrong including traffic, go-slows at the airports etc. Always give yourself plenty of time. Civitavecchia to the airport can take close to 2 hours if there is a traffic jam.

If you decide to do this then make sure that nothing big is going on in Rome. One year we arrived the day after the big soccer match between Italy and Manchester United and the traffic was one big snarl. Several days later there was the G8 conference and the day we left Rome for the port there was a huge bicycle race. We hit the Rome trifecta. Fortunately, we used Rome Cabs and they picked us up early so we would miss the closing of the traffic for the race. They also had another cab service contact us at the airport informing us they would be late due to the fact that everyone was literally stuck in traffic. They are very good.

On our cruise 2 years ago, we were to doc in Rome at 6 am and disembark the Riviera. But the Port Authority in Rome had issues and stopped all disembarkation. We even had O's President on board and he went down to try and straighten things out. After about 60 to 90 minutes, we were allowed to start disembarking.

I tell this story to reinforce that you never know what may happen. Quite a few of our fellow cruisers ended up missing flights because of this.

Charlotte

Okay. I booked a 12:55pm flight with a connection in Montreal so I won't be stressed. I was really hoping to book the non stop because I could book a business class pod seat. This is an Air Canada "Rouge" flight and the best seats you can book are premium economy.

Thanks for info on Rome cabs.

Catherine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope the flight you booked will be fine. I was going to say that the length of time the journey takes also depends upon the day of the week. We booked an airport hotel to spend the night in Rome because we didn't think we could get to the airport on time. It was a Sunday -- it only took an hour to get to the airport!

We are trying to catch a flight that departure at 11.10 from Rome, our TA says we will be able to! We are not flying overseas so we don't have to be there 3h before but about 2 i think.

Anyone think it's a big chance that we will miss our flight?

Depends on when if the ship's staying overnight, what day of the week it is and what time you're leaving the ship.

If your first or only leg is in the Eurozone where it's treated as a domestic flight, then IMO you should be fine if you leave by 7:30 a.m., budgeting 1.25 hours to get to FCO.