Aqua Class...try MDR?

frawnsay

We just got off a 28 day BTB cruise on the Solstice and we had Aqua class. Yes you can eat in the MDR at any meal and you don't have to ask the Maître D. On sea days the MDR is open for lunch so you might want to check it out at that meal.

Please be careful with this type of post. On YOUR CRUISE, you didn't have to ask the maitre d', but on other cruises with different staff, they ask that you check with the maitre d' in blu to find out how to eat in the MDR ON THAT CRUISE. We have been on cruises where they give you a choice of joining early or late dinner, but NOT select dining because select is jammed. Yes, you will be able to eat in the MDR, but it may not be as simple as just walking up to select dining ON YOUR CRUISE.

Edited by ghstudio

Please be careful with this type of post. On YOUR CRUISE, you didn't have to ask the maitre d', but on other cruises with different staff, they ask that you check with the maitre d' in blu to find out how to eat in the MDR ON THAT CRUISE. We have been on cruises where they give you a choice of joining early or late dinner, but NOT select dining because select is jammed. Yes, you will be able to eat in the MDR, but it may not be as simple as just walking up to select dining ON YOUR CRUISE.

Maybe other circumstances were evolved on the cruises you were on. However the cruise we were on the Solstice there was no problem going to breakfast or dinner unannounced.

• 11 months later...

Just returned from the May 1 Alaskan Cruise on the Solstice. First time on Celebrity. For Dinner we ate at Murano once, Tuscan 3 times, and Blu three times. I obviously preferred Tuscan! Great food great service. Murano second.

I do not eat lobster, but Murano had a lobster dish prepared table side that looked and smelled wonderful!

I had Ribeye three nights at Tuscan, once at Blu, there was an obvious difference in cut an and quality of meat in Tuscan.

The wife and I were commenting this morning that it would be hard to return to MDR after a week like that.

Originally posted by Bar20 - Quote The problem with Celebrity food is what you see listed on the menu and think you are going to get may be completely different from what actually shows up on your plate. Case in point I love pesto and make it myself. One night they had spaghetti with lamb meatballs with basil pesto listed on the menu. When the plate arrived it had red marinara sauce, not pesto. I called our waiter over and asked him to bring the maître'd over and told him about it. He then brought out the head Blu chef. He tried to tell me it was pesto sauce. When I told him pesto is green not red and I know how to make it and ran off the ingredients in pesto he then said a small amount was on the side which also was not true. unquote

Bar20 : Please note that Pesto sauce can indeed be red as well. "Pesto" only means that it is an uncooked sauce, pounded/crushed. It can be made from lots of things besides the classical herbs, so also from tomatos and/or chili, red peppers, etc. Just google "Red Pesto Sauce" for recipes.

Edited by Michidoeme

We just got off a 28 day BTB cruise on the Solstice and we had Aqua class. Yes you can eat in the MDR at any meal and you don't have to ask the Maître D. On sea days the MDR is open for lunch so you might want to check it out at that meal.

The MDR has items served every evening. Among them are appetizers escargot, shrimp cocktail and French onion soup. These are not on the Blu menu but can be ordered at any evening meal. My wife had the escargot almost every night. Also at breakfast in Blu you can order Eggs Benedict which is not on the menu. Blu serves fresh squeezed orange juice while the MDR does not.

We were never served cold food. Not all waiters are created equal. We found Cetut a waiter we had back in 2008 on the Infinity and he was excellent. We asked for him every night. When he left the ship in Honolulu we asked for Sydney or Rosebud both excellent also.

The problem with Celebrity food is what you see listed on the menu and think you are going to get may be completely different from what actually shows up on your plate. Case in point I love pesto and make it myself. One night they had spaghetti with lamb meatballs with basil pesto listed on the menu. When the plate arrived it had red marinara sauce, not pesto. I called our waiter over and asked him to bring the maître'd over and told him about it. He then brought out the head Blu chef. He tried to tell me it was pesto sauce. When I told him pesto is green not red and I know how to make it and ran off the ingredients in pesto he then said a small amount was on the side which also was not true. Their idea of strawberry shortcake and key lime pie are nothing I have ever had in any restaurant in the USA.

However Blu was worth the Aqua upgrade for us.

When I think of pesto I think of the green pesto that I love. I now ask what color is the pesto before ordering.

Because pesto is a generic term for anything that is made by pounding, there are various other pestos, some traditional, some modern. Pesto rosso (red pesto), is a sauce from Sicily similar to pesto genovese but with the addition of tomato, almonds instead of pine nuts, and much less basil.

We booked AC on the Solstice and were so looking forward to the Blu dining experience. My wife loved it, but after dinner the first night I had to go to the buffet and get something to eat. I much prefer the MDR unadventurous menu. Plus, we both like to dine with 4-6 other passengers and that did not appear to be offered in the Blu.

This makes no sense at all. We always order as much food as we care to enjoy. There is no limit in BLU as to what your husband could have ordered. If he wanted t 2 of every area of the menu he could have had it. We sometimes order 2 appetisers, a soup, a salad, maybe 2 entrees plus desert. On an Infinity cruise a man from Ireland had 2 steaks every night. Husband once ordered 3 lobster tails. The absolutely never have said no to us. Also, at times I don't like something on BLU menu and they always get me what I want from somewhere on the ship. At times I want mashed potatoes or a baked potato, no problem. Speak up. Cold food should have been sent back immediately. You paid your hare earned dollars, speak up and get what you paid for.

Maybe other circumstances were evolved on the cruises you were on. However the cruise we were on the Solstice there was no problem going to breakfast or dinner unannounced.

Same experience occurred with our friends in Aqua Class.

Same experience occurred with our friends in Aqua Class.

Yes, just walking up to select dining may work....but then again, you may hit a cruise where it doesn't work so don't get upset because you aren't following the correct procedure.

The MDR has items served every evening. Among them are appetizers escargot, shrimp cocktail and French onion soup. These are not on the Blu menu but can be ordered at any evening meal. My wife had the escargot almost every night. Also at breakfast in Blu you can order Eggs Benedict which is not on the menu. Blu serves fresh squeezed orange juice while the MDR does not.

On the Reflection, Eggs Benedict was not available and were told to go to the MDR. Also, fresh squeezed orange juice was not served in Blu. Interesting how ships may differ. We had a card on our table and were reminded by wait staff of the availability of escargot, shrimp cocktail, and onion soup.

We were just talking about Select Dining in the MDR. On our last 11 day New Years cruise we were in a suite. We only went to the MDR once for Select Dining and agreed that we would not book Select Dining again. We usually book suites, or at least Aqua Class. If we are in a standard cabin it will be traditional dining at late seating. We found select dining to be noisy, rushed, lacking wine service from the Sommelier, overall not a pleasant dining experience. This may have been because we only went once, mid cruise and did not develop a report with the staff but we are not doing it again.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

There are a couple of nights the menu in Blu doesn't appeal to me. It has never been a problem to get something not on the Blu menu- either from the MDR menu or just getting a steak & fries or 3 orders of the short rib appetizers-yummmm !

I have read on this thread that people assigned to Blu can eat in MDR / Select, and in other threads that Suite guests can eat wherever they like and may choose Select when dining with friends rather than eat in Luminae. I even read of guests being too late for their MDR traditional seating being advised to 'try' Select. How does this impact on the regular guests already assigned to Select? I assumed that Celebrity sorted out the numbers for the relevant venues to ensure a smooth service, and shorter queues.

Wouldn't it be nice if Aqua or Suite guests could offer their place in their assigned dining in Blu or Luminae to guests from Select when they want to eat there? OK, so I know that would be difficult to monitor but it would be nice for Select diners facing queues due to this. :)

I have read on this thread that people assigned to Blu can eat in MDR / Select, and in other threads that Suite guests can eat wherever they like and may choose Select when dining with friends rather than eat in Luminae. I even read of guests being too late for their MDR traditional seating being advised to 'try' Select. How does this impact on the regular guests already assigned to Select? I assumed that Celebrity sorted out the numbers for the relevant venues to ensure a smooth service, and shorter queues.

Wouldn't it be nice if Aqua or Suite guests could offer their place in their assigned dining in Blu or Luminae to guests from Select when they want to eat there? OK, so I know that would be difficult to monitor but it would be nice for Select diners facing queues due to this. :)

Ah - I can't agree. Aqua cabins are much more expensive and if the MDR is busy then that is up to Celebrity to sort out, not the passengers.

On assigned dining if you are too late then that is surely your issue and no one else's. There is always the buffet and room service.

Ah - I can't agree. Aqua cabins are much more expensive and if the MDR is busy then that is up to Celebrity to sort out, not the passengers.

On assigned dining if you are too late then that is surely your issue and no one else's. There is always the buffet and room service.

I am in a suite in 4 weeks time but have family who will be in the MDR. We will be dining with them a couple of nights in the MDR , why shouldnt I be allowed to ' give ' our seats in Luminae to , say , a new found friend on these nights. After all - we have paid for them :cool:

Edited by gcgold

I am in a suite in 4 weeks time but have family who will be in the MDR. We will be dining with them a couple of nights in the MDR , why shouldnt I be allowed to ' give ' our seats in Luminae to , say , a new found friend on these nights. After all - we have paid for them :cool:

Boss Lady has asked me to point out that the above is a purely hypothetical point and should be ignored.

She says the chances of me finding a new friend are less than nil !

Harsh ? Maybe

True ? Probably:eek:

Boss Lady has asked me to point out that the above is a purely hypothetical point and should be ignored.

Harsh ? Maybe

If you could pass on your Luminae dining to someone you would suddenly find loads of new friends!! :D

But seriously, the number of diners is a known figure and whatever 'Class' they are they have all paid to eat a dinner in the evening. If Suite and Aqua guests are choosing Select (flexible) dining then surely the ability to seat everyone will be come more difficult if the unused seats in Luminae and Blu remain empty. Also, Select diners have had to pre pay gratuities which I believe the others do not.

Harsh ? Maybe

Boss Lady knows good. :p

I suspect pricing and size of dining room is based on Suite and Aqua not using their prescribed seating each night. ;)

And in practical terms "giving" your seat away is likely very hard to monitor.

Boss Lady knows good. :p

And in practical terms "giving" your seat away is likely very hard to monitor.

I could invite people in and they pay $100 plus 18%

I was thinking more of a voucher system where by I get 11 Luminae Dinner vouchers (1 for each night).

If I ' give' a voucher to my new (hypothetical I know :cool:) friend then I take his place in the MDR. If in return my 'friend gives me $100 for the ticket and another 10 new 'friends' do likewise I have $1100 'tips' to put towards my next cruise . :eek::eek::eek:

I could invite people in and they pay $100 plus 18%

I was thinking more of a voucher system where by I get 11 Luminae Dinner vouchers (1 for each night).

If I ' give' a voucher to my new (hypothetical I know :cool:) friend then I take his place in the MDR. If in return my 'friend gives me $100 for the ticket and another 10 new 'friends' do likewise I have $1100 'tips' to put towards my next cruise . :eek::eek::eek:

Well that is a win-win! We could even raffle a dinner in Luminae for people who don't find friends.

The recent Equinox review (excellent by the way) shared that same experience where they were able to order some things off MDR menu. I'll be in AQ in December on Equinox so will see whether this is the case. I would love to get the escargot every night in Blu!! ;)

Last trip we ate in Blu, all but one night because I wanted to try the MDR.

I also fancied escargot when in Blu so just asked my waiter for some, he went to the MDR and voila, they were on my table just a few minutes later. Service in Blu on Silhouette was good, better than the MDR.

I'd probably get banned for non-Celebrity profit making ideas! :p

There's a reason I'm not discussing my Luminae voucher, Bvlgari product and booze sales (to those who didn't buy a drinks pack) on this forum as I don't want the Celebrity rep cancelling my reservations before we sail! :D :D :D

There's a reason I'm not discussing my Luminae voucher, Bvlgari product and booze sales (to those who didn't buy a drinks pack) on this forum as I don't want the Celebrity rep cancelling my reservations before we sail! :D :D :D

Too late - you're fired [emoji32]

Last trip we ate in Blu, all but one night because I wanted to try the MDR.

I also fancied escargot when in Blu so just asked my waiter for some, he went to the MDR and voila, they were on my table just a few minutes later. Service in Blu on Silhouette was good, better than the MDR.

The last time we were in Aqua on the Silhouette they actually had some "secret" menu items (not on the Blu Menu) that were always available in Blu. This included Shrimp Cocktail, Escargot, French Onion Soup, and Cheesecake, Sending a waiter to the MDR galley is very inefficient since its all the way at the other end of the ship.

Hank