Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

No, upscale luxury is kicking down $11.50 per day to upgrade the Classic Pkg you were gifted so that you order whatever you want where ever you are without a care in the world. And it's upscale luxury when you ask for a printout of your bill at guest relations and it's seven pages long and you owe not a penny.

My wife and I spent less than $2,200 for a week on Reflection last week. That included taxes, fees, grats and Classic. Our TA gave us $70 in OBC. We upgraded to Premium for about $160 and then we partied like Keith Richards for a week.

I shutter to think what my bill would have looked like at a W Hotel anywhere in the states. My bar bill alone would have topped $1,000.

I don't think you can touch the value of what we received from Celebrity. $300 a day for a cabin, meals, cappuccinos, room service, martinis, and on and on and on.

If you like Jim Beam and Miller Lite then rock on with the Classic. If you want to drink Patron and Saphire or veer off into the more adventurous cocktails then pay the man and get on with it. I go for the upgrade because I don't want to think about anything other than making sure my wife is having a great time. Y'all need to stop expecting everything for nothing (which is pretty much what we're getting anyway).

Absolutely well said! My thoughts exactly!

I could not get a regular Martini (the ones you mention) at the Martini Bar under the Classic Package "served in a Martini Glass" not even the smaller glasses. I could, however, get the drink served in a tumbler glass. The only time I could get a Martini in a "Martini Glass" was during the happy hour or whatever that is called that was between 4-5 and after 11PM. This was on the Nov 21 sailing on the Equinox.

The 4 special priced martinis are printed in the menu, on the bottom of the page that's between vodka and gin martinis. Or were on Sille Nov 30-Dec7, and every other cruise I've done with X.

So this is upscale luxury. Every time you want a drink, you have to ask a waitress or bartender "Am I allowed to have this drink"?

If you pay for the luxurious experience and have the full beverage package, you don't. If you don't pay for it then you don't get it. Simple.

For luxury hotels, people generally pay NO attention to costs while there. They don't bat an eye for a $7 bud light, or a $21 grey goose and red-bull drink. They happily pay $18 for a pot of coffee, plus $5 delivery fee, plus automatic 18% gratuity, while staying in a standard hotel room they paid $400 a night for, with no included meals or entertainment. Luxury hotels would charge $20 or so for the breakfast buffet.

For some reason, people on cruse ships freak out having to pay $11.50 more a day to get these included in unlimited quantities, and then complain it's not "luxurious".

OP is from May 2014. Celebrity has since reverted back to the original list of offerings--it is not as restricted as the OP's listings. You should have no issues getting what you did before.

If you go to this link & click on the "classic package" link within the classic package description, you will get the current listing of drinks available on the plan. (in Adobe)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/onboard-beverage-packages?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages_overview#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic&ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=&currencyCode=USD

My experience with not been able to get "regular Cosmo in a small Martini Glass" at the Martini Bar was in November 2014. I was able to get these drinks at the Martini Bar when I sailed on the Constellation in March 2014 so to me this was a change in protocol. I also asked different bartenders and I got the same response from all of them. I could however get Martinis made with Ketel One in a true Martini glass at the other bars in the ship.

Edited by Sandy1975

Martini bar has 4 martinis on its list covered classic package. They are served in slightly smaller glasses -- Appletini, Lemon Drop, Cosmo and I forget the 4th. Also at Martini you could order just a beer or other mixed drink (such as a gin and tonic, it would be served with the gin in the classic package), unlike at Molecular where they will only serve drinks on menu, which true, all are out of the Classic Package.

Raising my hand and saying I'm confused. Again. Still. :D

I am trying to better understand the last part of yopur message about Molecular. I thought that Molecular is only possible with Premium Package. I might be misreading your post so any clarification would be appreciated on Molecular and what package covers Molecular.

Thanks!

Raising my hand and saying I'm confused. Again. Still. :D

I am trying to better understand the last part of yopur message about Molecular. I thought that Molecular is only possible with Premium Package. I might be misreading your post so any clarification would be appreciated on Molecular and what package covers Molecular.

Thanks!

unlike at Molecular where they will only serve drinks on menu, which true, all are out of the Classic Package.

I say Molecular only serves menu drinks (i.e. can't get a gin and tonic or a coke). and all other drinks are outside the classic package, i.e. only on Premium Package.

No, upscale luxury is kicking down $11.50 per day to upgrade the Classic Pkg you were gifted so that you order whatever you want where ever you are without a care in the world. And it's upscale luxury when you ask for a printout of your bill at guest relations and it's seven pages long and you owe not a penny.

My wife and I spent less than $2,200 for a week on Reflection last week. That included taxes, fees, grats and Classic. Our TA gave us $70 in OBC. We upgraded to Premium for about $160 and then we partied like Keith Richards for a week.

I shutter to think what my bill would have looked like at a W Hotel anywhere in the states. My bar bill alone would have topped $1,000.

I don't think you can touch the value of what we received from Celebrity. $300 a day for a cabin, meals, cappuccinos, room service, martinis, and on and on and on.

If you like Jim Beam and Miller Lite then rock on with the Classic. If you want to drink Patron and Saphire or veer off into the more adventurous cocktails then pay the man and get on with it. I go for the upgrade because I don't want to think about anything other than making sure my wife is having a great time. Y'all need to stop expecting everything for nothing (which is pretty much what we're getting anyway).

Totally agree it is a great deal. I tell people that all the time. I was not referring to price. Even if you upgrade, there are still limits on what you can order. I was referring to the fact that Celebrity does not CLEARLY spell out exactly what is included. There should be an accurate up-to-date list in every stateroom. Several posters here have indicated that drinks were included which were not on the list. I'm really not a big drinker so upgrading is not for me. Remember that most people are not on cruise critic and don't know about the partially correct list and where to get it.

... There should be an accurate up-to-date list in every stateroom..... Remember that most people are not on cruise critic and don't know about the partially correct list and where to get it.

We ran into this issue with the classic nonalcohol package. One of our party had that package and did not know until halfway through the cruise that Arizona iced tea was available to her. There may have been other things available to her that she didn't know about as well. It would have been nice to have a list. I know that the stock available on board is going to vary from sailing to sailing, but she didn't even know what she could ask for.

All this talk of "accurate" and "up-to-date" lists really perplexes me as to why people think this is so necessary. I mean, is it really that hard to have a conversation with a member of the crew or ask a bartender when you are at the bar? Here is the way my conversation usually goes:

Guest: Hey, do you have XYZ beverage?

Bartender: Yes, that is available here at the bar.

Guest: What is the price?

Bartender: It is <insert amount>

Guest: I have the <insert bevvy package description>. Can you tell me if this is covered?

And now that you hear the answer to know if something is (or not) covered, you make your decision or selection.

Guest: Here's my card, I will take one. Thank you!

or

Guest: What are some recommendations you have that are covered by my package?

Quite frankly, I enjoy my interactions with the ship's staff. Given some of the remarks on this thread, you would think some people here go through their entire vacation with an idea that they are supposed to be spoon fed information for anything and everything they want/need to do and that it is "someone else's responsibility" to give them this information.

Why not take it upon yourself to interact with a member of the staff at one of the many bars?? They are friendly and eager to talk to you and answer your questions and provide you with what you seek. It isn't rocket science to ask a question and get an answer.

There are thousands of cocktails out there. I have a book that is about an inch thick with every drink known to man. It would be impossible to list them all on a ship. I think it is easier to remember that it is the alcohol portion that is covered under the package not the actual drink ie you can have a bloody mary with regular vodka under the Classic Pkg or you can have one with top shelf vodka under the Premium. Same with a rum & coke. It depends on the quality of the rum you order.

Plus regular sized martini's and anything at the Molecular bar are not covered by the Classic Pkg.

Edited by Christine Frances

Vulcan, the problem came in back in May when things were changing back and forth and not even the bartenders on board knew what was covered under which package.

Yes, I am fully aware of the problems as I sat here at my computer to read all about them.

However, I do think that Celebrity made a very conscious decision to make some update to the way they market and sell beverages and associated beverage packages to the customer and didn't really think through some serious issues with regard to pricing. Those issues are still being felt even today.

Also, I think Celebrity realized (or I hope they have by now) through many of the active threads here on Cruise Critic (and other means of feedback) that Celebrity has a spotty record for rolling out information to customers (as well as their ship staff) and changes are not consistently implemented around the fleet.

Having lists of drinks and associated prices probably confuses all people involved more than it helps. Moving toward the system they are now using of "brands" falling into beverage package categories streamlines a lot. Now Celebrity just needs to do a better job of focusing on the "price caps" in the packages when they start to think about raising packages in the future.

Edited by vulcan1971

All this talk of "accurate" and "up-to-date" lists really perplexes me as to why people think this is so necessary. I mean, is it really that hard to have a conversation with a member of the crew or ask a bartender when you are at the bar? Here is the way my conversation usually goes:

Guest: I have the <insert bevvy package description>. Can you tell me if this is covered?

And now that you hear the answer to know if something is (or not) covered, you make your decision or selection.

or

Quite frankly, I enjoy my interactions with the ship's staff. Given some of the remarks on this thread, you would think some people here go through their entire vacation with an idea that they are supposed to be spoon fed information for anything and everything they want/need to do and that it is "someone else's responsibility" to give them this information.

Why not take it upon yourself to interact with a member of the staff at one of the many bars?? They are friendly and eager to talk to you and answer your questions and provide you with what you seek. It isn't rocket science to ask a question and get an answer.

Great ideas! Hopefully, some will use your idea as a guide

Now Celebrity just needs to do a better job of focusing on the "price caps" in the packages when they start to think about raising packages in the future.

Error correction: I intended to say "prices".... referring to Celebrity raising the prices of individual drinks on the ship (cocktails, beer, wine, etc.) but not raising the "price caps" that specify limits listed in the bevvy packages.

Vulcan.

We did exactly what you suggest. We are not regular drinkers at home and had little idea what specific drinks we would like. We were on the classic and in an effort to cruise more for our $$ we need to be reasonably frugal with our on board spend. Only a drink here or there and rarely a specialty restaurant. We still have a ball on our cruises. Because of this we stayed with the classic.

All we did was ask the bar person or waiter for suggestions with the proviso "we only have classic". They were happy to assist and would just make my wife a cocktail for example and say "try this". We loved the freedom to try things and for us the classic was fantastic.

Vulcan we too did as you suggested. We just asked each time if a particular drink was covered. Once they got to know you then it just got easier.

The issue last year was that by increasing the price of drinks took them out of the range of the classic package and there was little choice in some categories. From memory the beer choice was left very poor under the classic. But celebrity responded well to this forum and Facebook.

We loved the drink package and upgraded to premium. And we enjoyed many wines we would not normally think to buy because of cost. Great to grab a coffee, a quality water, a baileys, cocktail and wine whenever we wanted to. The promo is one thing that encouraged us to make a second booking this year.

No need to even include this step, since you're only concerned about the package. And it potentially adds time if it's obscure or they're new and they need to check the specific price.

Just jump right on to ask whether it's included in the package.

No need to even include this step, since you're only concerned about the package. And it potentially adds time if it's obscure or they're new and they need to check the specific price.

Just jump right on to ask whether it's included in the package.

Yep, the thing is to just ask and work with the bar staff. I found them more than accommodating except at special functions when they were under the pump. but we also aren't brand nuts.

Yes there are certain brands of spirits we prefer, but I'm happy with a G&T in my hand whether it has Gordon's or Hendricks in it (although I certainly ask for Hendricks when I'm on the premium pkg lol!!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

or

Am I on candid camera? I know this must be a joke. Now imagine 2000 people doing this every time they want to try a different drink. How about if you are like most of us and don't know the name of every drink. Here's the way that conversation goes.

Guest What drinks do you have and what is the price of each?

Bartender Call Security!

People would be killing each other at the bars. How about if we totally do away with the daily paper which "spoon feeds" people all the available activities and have everyone stand in line at Guest Relations to interact with the staff and find out what activities are available? Or maybe do away with menus at dinner and have the waiters recite everything available on the menu at every table. What was that third thing you said waiter? Really, is this Allen Funt?

By the way, we interact with staff all the time. We have had waiters visit us at our home. Also, I know what rocket science is since I used to design them.

Yes, I am fully aware of the problems as I sat here at my computer to read all about them.

However, I do think that Celebrity made a very conscious decision to make some update to the way they market and sell beverages and associated beverage packages to the customer and didn't really think through some serious issues with regard to pricing. Those issues are still being felt even today.

Also, I think Celebrity realized (or I hope they have by now) through many of the active threads here on Cruise Critic (and other means of feedback) that Celebrity has a spotty record for rolling out information to customers (as well as their ship staff) and changes are not consistently implemented around the fleet.

Having lists of drinks and associated prices probably confuses all people involved more than it helps. Moving toward the system they are now using of "brands" falling into beverage package categories streamlines a lot. Now Celebrity just needs to do a better job of focusing on the "price caps" in the packages when they start to think about raising packages in the future.

Isn't this a community board where questions can be asked. Discussions can be had. Insight can be achieved?

Am I on candid camera? I know this must be a joke. Now imagine 2000 people doing this every time they want to try a different drink. How about if you are like most of us and don't know the name of every drink. Here's the way that conversation goes.

Guest What drinks do you have and what is the price of each?

Bartender Call Security!

People would be killing each other at the bars. How about if we totally do away with the daily paper which "spoon feeds" people all the available activities and have everyone stand in line at Guest Relations to interact with the staff and find out what activities are available? Or maybe do away with menus at dinner and have the waiters recite everything available on the menu at every table. What was that third thing you said waiter? Really, is this Allen Funt?

By the way, we interact with staff all the time. We have had waiters visit us at our home. Also, I know what rocket science is since I used to design them.

Lol. Well said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Errrr ... didn't have timed to read the whole thread so sorry if anybody else has mentioned this, but isn't Old Black Bush an Irish whiskey, not a Scotch whisky? Which means only one Scotch available?

Because of our very strong consumer protection laws people who book in the UK could probably take legal action if the offering on board the ship is not the one available when they contracted. But I doubt anybody would bother. And if they did they would probably be black listed by Celebrity.