Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

I have a question...this is our first time booking the classic beverage package. We booked it after looking at the list first...husband is interested in only the craft beers. Now that the new list has been published, can anyone tell me whether the beers too have been altered? My husband says that Newcastle used to be on the classics list, now it's on the premium. But...we could be wrong!

Also what mixed drinks are now included in classic? From what I can tell, this list hasn't been published yet?

I'm with the prior poster upthread...wish I had just taken the OBC instead of this mess. We don't drink that much to begin with. The OBC most likely would have covered most of our bill. Now we need to spend more money just to upgrade.

I have a question...this is our first time booking the classic beverage package. We booked it after looking at the list first...husband is interested in only the craft beers. Now that the new list has been published, can anyone tell me whether the beers too have been altered? My husband says that Newcastle used to be on the classics list, now it's on the premium. But...we could be wrong!

Also what mixed drinks are now included in classic? From what I can tell, this list hasn't been published yet?

I'm with the prior poster upthread...wish I had just taken the OBC instead of this mess. We don't drink that much to begin with. The OBC most likely would have covered most of our bill. Now we need to spend more money just to upgrade.

Not sure when you booked but even looking at a list from December, Newcastle was above the Classic limit at $6.50 (not including gratuity).

Hi,

Not sure if you paid for the Classic package or got it as a booking perk, after all the debacle of whats in and whats out we decided to upgrade to Premium today, cost per night is $10.00 + 15% = $11.50 so 11 nights = £77.16 per person, we thought that for just over £7.00 per day it was worth it just so we can have virtually anything as far as cocktails etc and not worry about it.

As we had the Classic package as a booking perk it wasn't a big deal and we are not big drinkers but it's just nice to know that we don't have to worry about a big bill at the end and we can try different drinks.

Ray

Hammo look at the other thread you got your sums wrong its 2$ more not 4$

17$ includes 15& service charge you are allowed 15$ includuing service charge.

Thanks Snowyboy

Can you point me to where it says officially that the Premium Package Wine limit is $15 please. This is from the Celebrity website -

"Wines by the Glass up to $13 per serving."

In any case -On the last wine list we had on Silhouette ( November ) and Solstice (January )

wines that were $13 on the "menu" -that is Conundrum & Dry Creek - are now on that list shown on CC at $17 - isnt that $4 ?

My point remains that we purchased the upgrade - Celebrity then moves wines out of the Package that were available when they advertised the product.--.

Thanks Snowyboy

Can you point me to where it says officially that the Premium Package Wine limit is $15 please. This is from the Celebrity website -

"Wines by the Glass up to $13 per serving."

In any case -On the last wine list we had on Silhouette ( November ) and Solstice (January )

wines that were $13 on the "menu" -that is Conundrum & Dry Creek - are now on that list shown on CC at $17 - isnt that $4 ?

My point remains that we purchased the upgrade - Celebrity then moves wines out of the Package that were available when they advertised the product.--.

You paid $13 plus 15% = $14.95 The $17 includes the 15% which is approx $15 plus $2.25 (to be totally correct it would be $14.78 + $2.22 The Eclipse pricing is different from all other pricing (25% included in price) and that is why everyone is so confused

Edited by Christine Frances

we had a lot of problems with our classic drink package also, barely any drinks included any longer from what we had looked at on their website prior to our cruise. No more Baileys on the rocks, but yet you can get a Baileys Coffee….make sense? Sure doesn't to me. Anyway, I was extremely discouraged from ever falling for their 123 classic package again we would be better off to get the tips and shipboard credit and pay for whatever drinks we decide on.

If you review the Classic list example in post 414 on this thread you should feel better. Also we have never read that anyone actually paid over $9 without gratuity for a Baileys. But it surely was not on the "list" on the subject cruise.

I'm not a wine snob but I am a wine lover and amateur wine educator. If you've not yet tried them I think you'll find several of these wines to quite pleasant indeed. I'd leave the table VERY satisfied after some Domaine Chandon to wake up my palate, the Pouilly Fume with my seafood appetizer, the Chateau Castera with my Duck and a glass of Taylor Tawny to wash down dessert. ;)

I see you have now lost the Pouilly Fume out of the Premium Package wine list ??? - are you now :mad:

Michel Redde Pouilly-Fume "La Moynerie" Loire 16.00

The Chandon is just hanging on.:eek:

Is the Pouilly-Fume that good? You've got me curious now. :p

Not really - Sauvignon Blanc , selling for around and $22 - 28 per bottle retail.. $16 a glass is a bit rich in my opinion and it was included in the Premium Beverage Package prior to them deciding they could get a few more dollars per glass for it , just as they have done with several other middle of the road wines now no-longer included in the Less Than Premium By The Glass Wine List:(

But it's not a bait and switch and I think most posters on cruise critic know that the cruise lines can and do change things like this as a moment's notice.

How is it not bait and switch to offer an inducement for someone to book a cruise; they pay the asking price, and when they arrive they find out 40% of the advertised items are no longer available? What if they closed 40% of the dining venues? What if they skipped 40% of the ports? What if they eliminated 40% of activities/entertainment? Would you not feel the least bit "taken" regardless of what the legalese states?

These cruise lines seem very willing in 2014 to bite the hands that feed them. While a change in policy to manage costs is almost always inevitable in any line of business, usually one that advertises a list of inclusions will announce a future date for a major policy change and not spring it on unsuspecting guests.

I see you have now lost the Pouilly Fume out of the Premium Package wine list ??? - are you now :mad:

Michel Redde Pouilly-Fume "La Moynerie" Loire 16.00

The Chandon is just hanging on.:eek:

I haven't lost anything - I'll simply pay the extra .50 (it's $13.50 on cruises originating in the USA). And no, it takes significantly more than that to make me :mad:. :D

How is it not bait and switch to offer an inducement for someone to book a cruise; they pay the asking price, and when they arrive they find out 40% of the advertised items are no longer available? What if they closed 40% of the dining venues? What if they skipped 40% of the ports? What if they eliminated 40% of activities/entertainment? Would you not feel the least bit "taken" regardless of what the legalese states?

These cruise lines seem very willing in 2014 to bite the hands that feed them. While a change in policy to manage costs is almost always inevitable in any line of business, usually one that advertises a list of inclusions will announce a future date for a major policy change and not spring it on unsuspecting guests.

You may be mistaken about 40% of the items that were previous within the limits of the Classic package having price increases that caused them to now being over the limit. There was some confusion on at least one cruise (Eclipse), but I do not believe the number is even close to 40%, but no doubt there are a few items. Did you actual compare the two example lists?

You may be mistaken about 40% of the items that were previous within the limits of the Classic package having price increases that caused them to now being over the limit. There was some confusion on at least one cruise (Eclipse), but I do not believe the number is even close to 40%, but no doubt there are a few items. Did you actual compare the two example lists?

The point still stands that when something is advertised to you and booked in good faith that that is what you will receive it leaves a bad taste in the customers mouth when that is suddenly changed without any advance notice. Yes, I fully understand the cruise contract allows the company to basically make any change at any time, but that does not mean I would not be ticked off.

Let's discuss the merits of how the change was handled. Discussing whether my 40% number is dead on accurate, or if it is 10%, 20%, or 60% or 70%, is a side discussion and not relevant to the main point at hand.

Is the Pouilly-Fume that good? You've got me curious now. :p

If you're asking if it's "worth" $13.50 a glass, I'd say no - but I'd say that about every single wine on nearly every wine list in nearly any restaurant in the USA or the UK - the mark-up is simply extortionate. If you're asking however if it's a nice wine, it's a matter of what you like to drink. I personally prefer European or "European style" wines, which tend to be less fruit driven and not as clumsily oaked as many of new world wines are - hence the PF suits me perfectly. If the likes of Conundrum turns your crank, you likely will find the PF a bit dull.

I haven't lost anything - I'll simply pay the extra .50 (it's $13.50 on cruises originating in the USA). And no, it takes significantly more than that to make me :mad:. :D

Hi there wpgcycler - we have a common interest and whilst we may see things slightly different when it comes to Celebritys handling of this wine by the glass issue , we both will have a fine time on our cruises for sure , albeit sadder for me that many wines are nolonger included in this package in September.

Can you tell me if that extra .50cents per glass now for that wine as you say - the Pouiily Fume - is correct for sailing ex Rome or is it the $16 I see on the list provided here on CC . Are you saying that I will be required to sign for .50cents each glass if I choose that? Given that the Official list posted here by Celebrity says Wine by the Glass up to $13 - can you point me to the new wine list that says that wine is $13.50 ?

May I say though ,IF this is correct , you actually have lost something -- .50c per glass .Maybe no big deal ( despite the principle involved here ). If its $2 or $4 per glass maybe you wont be :mad:? , just disappointed ?:)

Thanks wpgcycler - I have seen that before , I think a link you kindly posted previously. I guess we will see onboard and hope Celebrity have a rethink about what wines by the glass they offer in the Premium Package --- it really is crummy .(and maybe we will have that extra martini now before dinner :cool:. )

Thanks wpgcycler - I have seen that before , I think a link you kindly posted previously. I guess we will see onboard and hope Celebrity have a rethink about what wines by the glass they offer in the Premium Package --- it really is crummy .(and maybe we will have that extra martini now before dinner :cool:. )

Look, I'm not suggesting for a minute that I'm happy with price increases but, on balance, the premium package is a whole lotta fun and for the time being at least, I'm prepared to cut them some slack and compensate with (as you suggest) an extra martini or another of the clever creations at the Molecular bar. Cheers hammo, I do hope you have a great cruise!

Ian

Look, I'm not suggesting for a minute that I'm happy with price increases but, on balance, the premium package is a whole lotta fun and for the time being at least, I'm prepared to cut them some slack and compensate with (as you suggest) an extra martini or another of the clever creations at the Molecular bar. Cheers hammo, I do hope you have a great cruise!

Ian

Cheers Ian , and I hope you remain interested in all things Wine . I'm sure I will remain interested in this CC forum and despite some calling for me to shut up , maybe Celebrity will return to the Premium Line that we were used to some time ago . ( When it comes to wine that is ) . Hey - we love the Molecular Bar.:D

Also - Cheers to Pushka.

• 7 months later...