Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

Can you upgrade the classic package to premium at any point on the cruise? ie, can it be upgraded in the middle of the cruise say day 7 on a 14 day cruise? Or does it have to be upgraded right from the start of the cruise?

Can you upgrade the classic package to premium at any point on the cruise? ie, can it be upgraded in the middle of the cruise say day 7 on a 14 day cruise? Or does it have to be upgraded right from the start of the cruise?

I think it can be upgraded up until the last three nights?

Can be upgraded up until 4 days prior end of cruise. But it will only apply (at pro rata cost) to remaining cruise days...any days/drinks purchased prior to purchasing the package will not be included and you will need to pay for them as they appear on your shipboard account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

Why are we surprised that the classic pkg now seems to offer pretty much, not much? When you get something for nothing, even if it only appears so, then at some point you are going to have to pay. Of course over time the classic pkg was going to end up worth nothing. It was just how long we could get away with booking it and feeling like we were getting something for nothing. It is what we call "bracket creep". Slowly they erode your benefits, until there are no benefits, just the allusion of them. I was wondering how long until the extras became the norm. If every booking has 123go, where is the extras/benefit? Cheers

But haven't most gotten it "free" as part of Pick Your Perks or 1-2-3 Go?

As with anything with the cruise lines they can and do change things at a moments notice.

Do you think the cruise base price has stayed the same? I am sure the base price increased and Celebrity promoted the "free" perks associated with the cruse fare. Thus, for many, adding what once was a cost to the previous base price, you might be lower than the new price structure, but still, I believe, you are paying for some portion of it.

I looked at the beers on Classic package and I wouldn't buy it or if it was part of the perk, would upgrade = more revenue for Celebrity which is what they are wanting.

Can they change things.....sure, but it is a shame to promote a feature with the benefit of (whatever) and then not provide the advertised feature that delivered the (whatever) benefit.

Celebrity also knows, many do not pay attention to a lot of the changes and Celebrity is also courting new cruisers, that are not familiar with the way it was.

Edited by shipshape sam

This isn't how people order drinks. Most have a drink in mind they want, so they simply say "I'd like a gin and tonic, How much and is it in my package?" After first interaction, they know for balance of cruise and wont have to ask the question again.

Truth be told majority of people could care less and will get whatever they want and not be so concerned about the price, you've paid to sail on a luxurious ship, on a line a step above many of the lower end lines, so if the $12 martini is not in your package and is also a budget buster, perhaps this vacation isn't really something you should have spent your meager funds on, it should have been saved for general living expenses.

I think the truth be told, if the majority of people were told, "Hey we promoted and sold you something and we have changed it without telling you and you, in many cases, will pay more money", most people might take a different view of that person or companies honesty. Will another $1-2 hurt them/drink - NO. Will $50 more on a cruise hurt them - NO. It is more the honesty and integrity If you have no problem paying more to get what you thought you were paying for something and have no problem paying a higher price that originally quoted/promoted, I would like to sell you lots of stuff.

Edited by shipshape sam

$11.50/day/pp US$

and it's the same price whether you buy in advance or buy on board. If you buy in advance, you buy for the entire cruise. If you buy on board, you can first see what's in the classic drink package and then decide whether you want to upgrade. You will be charged only for the remaining days of the cruise if you buy on board after the first day. You can buy the upgrade at any bar on the ship. I believe you must buy the upgrade with three or more days left on the cruise....

Edited by ghstudio

• 3 weeks later...
That's a great list. I'll be honest, I don't see what the big deal is. True this doesn't affect me as I paid for the premium drink upgrade for mad and way wife as we like the molecular and martini bars. However, if I was on the classic, I could quite happily drink many of the drinks on offer here.

I don't see it being any different as an all inclusive holiday in a hotel where you typically get house spirits (as shown here) included and psy extra for the traditional top shelf premium brands.

I feel this echos the sense of feeling outdone many people felt when the new captains club tiers were introduced to benefit only the elite and above. Alas I did not qualify for that level of exclusivity and myself and many like minded cruisers were made to feel we hasn't earned it.

Here is the same, we have got something advertised as "free" but we all know we're paying for it and it stings because the same people that felt special with their circa 25 points bonus points above everyone else now feel like the rest of us... Human and flawed.

Guys, you've obviously paid thousands of pounds to sail with celebrity because you want to enjoy yourself. I don't know what's come over the forums lately... But it's just all complaining... And the cruise hasn't even happened yet. Search for posts that say how great their cruise was and how little these perks actually mean when you're on the ion sea. After all what's important is that you are with the people you love... Knock back that Gordon's... I promise it will taste like Bombay sapphire or Plymouth gin after about the 3rd!

Spot on!! :D

There looks to be plenty on there we would drink, whether we would drink enough to justify the hike in cruise price they use to factor in the 123 deal is another matter. We went the way of an inside cabin and paying for our drinks without any restrictions as we like the look of the molecular bar rather than paying another £1400 for a cabin with a window right across from ours which included the 123 deal. I honestly could not be bothered having to work out what we can and can't have, it's a holiday and I want to order any drink I want.

• 1 month later...

This is obviously a touchy issue given the number of posts on this topic alone. Seems like a lot of complaining and whining. Suggestion, buy the Premium upgrade. At about $12 a day per person, depending on what and how much you drink, that is a bargain - no bills to sign, anything you want to drink..........relax, your on vacation.

We have cruised on 6 separate cruise lines and we absolutely love Celebrity. They hit all the high notes for us, the service is consistently excellent, the food and entertainment is great and we would purchase the Premium beverage package even it wasn't part of the deal. Its a vacation.

Life is short. You can always get more money, but you can't purchase any more time!

This is obviously a touchy issue given the number of posts on this topic alone. Seems like a lot of complaining and whining. Suggestion, buy the Premium upgrade. At about $12 a day per person, depending on what and how much you drink, that is a bargain - no bills to sign, anything you want to drink..........relax, your on vacation.

We have cruised on 6 separate cruise lines and we absolutely love Celebrity. They hit all the high notes for us, the service is consistently excellent, the food and entertainment is great and we would purchase the Premium beverage package even it wasn't part of the deal. Its a vacation.

Life is short. You can always get more money, but you can't purchase any more time!

With that attitude why not always book a Royal or Penhouse Suite? :D

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Just got off Silhouette last Sunday and have had the Classic package for the past three cruises, I couldn't tell you the difference. We utilized the card a lot, and all the drinks and wine we previously ordered were available on this last cruise, still a good deal. Some people just like to be negative regardless instead of just enjoying life, and some things are just not worth worrying about, especially those over which you have little control. Just enjoy your cruises!

Just got off Silhouette last Sunday and have had the Classic package for the past three cruises, I couldn't tell you the difference. We utilized the card a lot, and all the drinks and wine we previously ordered were available on this last cruise, still a good deal. Some people just like to be negative regardless instead of just enjoying life, and some things are just not worth worrying about, especially those over which you have little control. Just enjoy your cruises!

Last spring changes were made excluding some items but I belive most were restored by fall.

That's the problem when someone revives an old (almost a year now) thread that's no longer accurate.

New viewers (unless they go back to post #1) have no idea.

It was because so Many people complained about the cuts in the drink oackages, that they were restored and people cruising now can't tell the difference because there isn't one. There does seem to be a small price increase but that's about it.

We lucked out too cruising in April and not again until December.

While reading complaining threads can be annoying, ever so often it prompts a restoration of services making the cruise line happy as now they have happy customers again and the customers happy who felt strongly about what they wanted.

Edited by hulamoon

It was because so Many people complained about the cuts in the drink oackages, that they were restored and people cruising now can't tell the difference because there isn't one. There does seem to be a small price increase but that's about it.

We lucked out too cruising in April and not again until December.

While reading complaining threads can be annoying, ever so often it prompts a restoration of services making the cruise line happy as now they have happy customers again and the customers happy who felt strongly about what they wanted.

I'm not saying the original thread wasn't valid (and much needed).

I'm very grateful that people call out Celebrity (or any other cruiseline - you should have read the debacle on Princess when they (for a VERY short time!!!) tried to charge for their new pizza restaurant and room service on the Regal last year)

make changes that we don't like.

Just saying people who look at the thread title and respond now (without going back and reading the WHOLE thread) have no idea.

If someone who sailed recently had read that whole Princess thread they would also be responding that nothing is wrong so why are people complaining.

I'm not saying the original thread wasn't valid (and much needed).

I'm very grateful that people call out Celebrity (or any other cruiseline - you should have read the debacle on Princess when they (for a VERY short time!!!) tried to charge for their new pizza restaurant and room service on the Regal last year)

make changes that we don't like.

Just saying people who look at the thread title and respond now (without going back and reading the WHOLE thread) have no idea.

If someone who sailed recently had read that whole Princess thread they would also be responding that nothing is wrong so why are people complaining.

I completely agree. (I did not think you questioned the original thread) I missed the pizza thread. And likely Princess kept reading about how people loved their amazing pizza and thought they may as well charge for it! Glad they stopped.

Issues are not just complainers and supporters. Sometimes I think some cannot tolerate any critics. That is mostly my point, sometimes complaining is good for the company and the customers.

Good to know -- We have booked a cruise that offers this promotion which includes the Classic package etc.. Does it include ordering your glass of wine while having dinner in the restaurant? Or do you have to get your drinks at one of the bars?

Thank you,

Carol

Edited by sailaway5

Good to know -- We have booked a cruise that offers this promotion which includes the Classic package etc.. Does it include ordering your glass of wine while having dinner in the restaurant? Or do you have to get your drinks at one of the bars?

Thank you,

Carol

Yes there are wine options for the classic package. We have always given ourselves permission to upgrade and somehow we are usually just fine with the classic. Although, I do think the premium had better options.

• 1 month later...

We just booked and the promo gave us the Classic Bev package.

I can't tell from the X site description

-- if it's limitless per day...

-- if wine by the glass can be ordered in the MDR. With a party of four--and various entrees there is no guarantee we drink the same wine at dinner

--are there any bars that Do Not accept the Classic package.

-- can it include bev ordered through room service

ALSO more than one thread mentions the cost per drink being over and above the "per drink" limit and having to go to Guest Relations for an info sheet on whats included. Why is this so complicated?