Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

When we last sailed with Celebrity, I had the classic package and had no trouble getting my JW black label whiskey. Hope it's the same when we sail in August. Don't fancy upgrading just for that really.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We certainly could have made good with the basic classic package. But we had a lot of fun trying more expensive alcohol by upgrading. And I'm pretty sure most people know this thread started around May last year. It's still relevant and good for Celebrity to know we are still watching their pricing structure. ;)

I tend to agree with the first poster (youwash) on this topic. I suspect many folks do, especially when the Classic package is now included when booking because it is used as a booking incentive.

I'm not sure about that. Of course, many do... but many don't as well.

These lists are for illustration purposes to give an idea of what is available. It may or may not be available at the bar you chose to drink at although they should go and find some if you ask.

Sometimes things are generally not available, or run out though.

For example, on a recent Cel cruise they ran out of tomato juice. Not available any bar you went to.

I'm very confused. Is there a problem that is relevant? The op is a year ago. Is there are current consensus? I'm leaving shortly and already have had some troubling experiences that we thought were ship related in the past.

Maybe not?

The cruiseline states a list. It seems to me that the list is not a price list but a brand list. So if I want a drink with a brand they advertise its available. I get there may be a 'sell-out' and no longer available.

Am I incorrect in thinking that there is an impression that the cruiseline is selling brands, but is intentionally not backing that menu up with product to support the package sales?

As in a bait and switch?

Is the cruiseline performing baits and switch?

Edited by MizDemeanor

I'm very confused. Is there a problem that is relevant? The op is a year ago. Is there are current consensus? I'm leaving shortly and already have had some troubling experiences that we thought were ship related in the past.

Maybe not?

The cruiseline states a list. It seems to me that the list is not a price list but a brand list. So if I want a drink with a brand they advertise its available. I get there may be a 'sell-out' and no longer available.

Am I incorrect in thinking that there is an impression that the cruiseline is selling brands, but is intentionally not backing that menu up with product to support the package sales?

As in a bait and switch?

Is the cruiseline performing baits and switch?

Nope, the official lists published by celebrity now have the caveat language that not all brands may be available at all times and it is subject to change.

This is partly why X has not updated the lists since this thread began in may, they are done publishing specific lists, and when they do they note the ability to adjust without notice and that the range is a representative sampling, not a definitive list.

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in March with the classic beverage package. Am confused about the inclusions as regards specialty coffees. Are lattes and cappuccinos included in the classic beverage package?

Yes.

Classic beverage package covers all specialty coffee (and tea) drinks (such as in Cafe Al Baccio) UNLESS they have a shot of booze in them, then they need premium package to be included.

Well I hope you can, the effects will creep up over many more years....but even now I hear people talking about how different the service and food were in the old days......when the Century was new.

time will tell

Sorry,

I don't agree.

We sail both lines. Just off our 28th Princess cruise over the last 30 some years and , while there are some changes and cutbacks, the overall feel of the ships haven't changed.

Still, the same smiling wonderful service.

We're due to sail Celebrity again in 2 weeks on 2 different ships and I REALLY hope I can report back that we experienced the same.

(BTW- drink prices on Princess are significantly less than on Celebrity - even for the coffees!!!

And there were lots and lots of staff everywhere and so many activities that I had trouble deciding what to do - day and evening!)

Recently cruised on the Solstice and the classic package had plenty on offer.

The only places where you couldn't get a drink were the Martini Bar and the Molecular Bar. You could get basic Martini's on the classic at other bars though.

Service was good and the staff went out of their way to make us drinks to try on the classic as we had little idea of what we wanted. We are not big drinkers and usually only drink very basic drinks at home so we welcomed their suggestions.

We also could get everything on the menu in Café Al Baccio. It was our go to place after breakfast and a few other times each day. Very crowded on sea days though so we would just get a takeaway. Great hard working staff there.

Recently cruised on the Solstice and the classic package had plenty on offer.

The only places where you couldn't get a drink were the Martini Bar and the Molecular Bar. You could get basic Martini's on the classic at other bars though.

Martini bar has 4 martinis on its list covered classic package. They are served in slightly smaller glasses -- Appletini, Lemon Drop, Cosmo and I forget the 4th. Also at Martini you could order just a beer or other mixed drink (such as a gin and tonic, it would be served with the gin in the classic package), unlike at Molecular where they will only serve drinks on menu, which true, all are out of the Classic Package.

Martini bar has 4 martinis on its list covered classic package. They are served in slightly smaller glasses -- Appletini, Lemon Drop, Cosmo and I forget the 4th. Also at Martini you could order just a beer or other mixed drink (such as a gin and tonic, it would be served with the gin in the classic package), unlike at Molecular where they will only serve drinks on menu, which true, all are out of the Classic Package.

Great clarification! ;)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

100% correct. And the 4th included martini is. . . The Classic Martini, made with gin or vodka, served straight up or on the rocks.

And they never blinked eye at the Martini Bar when I flashed my classic card and asked for a dirty vodka martini.

Isn't the upgrade price significantly cheaper than buying the package from scratch? From my perspective, the 123 promo is really a huge discount for the all inclusive drinks.

You are paying for it, one way or another, such as in the higher cruise fare when you book your cruise during the time that the 123 GO promotion is being offered. ;)

Edited by vulcan1971

You are paying for it, one way or another, such as in the higher cruise fare when you book your cruise during the time that the 123 GO promotion is being offered. ;)

I agree with that in part, although out of the three perks offered (at same cabin fare - whether inflated or a bargain price) the classic drink pkg offers the best value...say $700 (approx) for a 14 night cruise vs $300 obc or equivalent as prepaid grats.

So still think there is value in it, and personally find it a no brainer to 'pay' the minor upgrade cost to premium. $150 to upgrade is a pretty sweet deal! And as that will likely come out of obc provided by my TA I'm still not out of pocket!

I'm saying that after paying almost $2700 for 2 premium pkgs on a recent 17 night Hawaii to Sydney repositioning cruise where no perks were applicable [emoji15][emoji20]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could not get a regular Martini (the ones you mention) at the Martini Bar under the Classic Package "served in a Martini Glass" not even the smaller glasses. I could, however, get the drink served in a tumbler glass. The only time I could get a Martini in a "Martini Glass" was during the happy hour or whatever that is called that was between 4-5 and after 11PM. This was on the Nov 21 sailing on the Equinox.

So this is upscale luxury. Every time you want a drink, you have to ask a waitress or bartender "Am I allowed to have this drink"?

No, upscale luxury is kicking down $11.50 per day to upgrade the Classic Pkg you were gifted so that you order whatever you want where ever you are without a care in the world. And it's upscale luxury when you ask for a printout of your bill at guest relations and it's seven pages long and you owe not a penny.

My wife and I spent less than $2,200 for a week on Reflection last week. That included taxes, fees, grats and Classic. Our TA gave us $70 in OBC. We upgraded to Premium for about $160 and then we partied like Keith Richards for a week.

I shutter to think what my bill would have looked like at a W Hotel anywhere in the states. My bar bill alone would have topped $1,000.

I don't think you can touch the value of what we received from Celebrity. $300 a day for a cabin, meals, cappuccinos, room service, martinis, and on and on and on.

If you like Jim Beam and Miller Lite then rock on with the Classic. If you want to drink Patron and Saphire or veer off into the more adventurous cocktails then pay the man and get on with it. I go for the upgrade because I don't want to think about anything other than making sure my wife is having a great time. Y'all need to stop expecting everything for nothing (which is pretty much what we're getting anyway).

No, we aren't. We priced other lines for the same time period & when we factor in the drink package on those lines--well, honestly it didn't matter. Our price was competative WITHOUT the drink package, so with the package, prepaid gratuities AND a small OBC, it was a no brainer.

I did freak a bit when I read the first post not realizing it was from May. But by the time I had finished reading the post I thought, well, DH & I will upgrade to Premium for about $100 total for our 5 day cruise--still WAY less than we would pay for drinks & I do like it. Again--if other lines allowed me to pay $11/day for basically any drink I want--WORTH IT.

Bait & switch--no. It is like everything else in the travel industry. People complained that prices were high--"why do I have to pay for a soda if I don't drink one; why do I have to pay for "x" when I don't use it"--so airlines & cruiselines responded with a la carte & now people complain about the "nickel & diming" Oh, for crying out loud! You got the package free. Many are perfectly happy to live within the parameters; others need it widened, so they choose to pay.

I could not get a regular Martini (the ones you mention) at the Martini Bar under the Classic Package "served in a Martini Glass" not even the smaller glasses. I could, however, get the drink served in a tumbler glass. The only time I could get a Martini in a "Martini Glass" was during the happy hour or whatever that is called that was between 4-5 and after 11PM. This was on the Nov 21 sailing on the Equinox.

I sailed on the Infinity in October and had Cosmopolitans and Appletinis (small size) nicely served from the shaker into a small martini glass, in the Martini Bar, with the Classic package. It was not a Happy Hour. I had the first one at lunchtime on Embarkation and it was never a problem every evening from then on. It was the month before your cruise, and on a different ship so possibly things changed at that time. But I wish they could get their act together and introduce some kind of uniformity as it makes it very difficult to know what you can and cannot have.

I will be on the Equinox later this year and am looking forward to the Classic size martinis, I will be so disappointed if they are no longer available. As 'Giorgi-one' stated earlier in this thread, it's not good to always have to ask what drink you can have within the package. Sort of takes away the fun.

I sailed on the Infinity in October and had Cosmopolitans and Appletinis (small size) nicely served from the shaker into a small martini glass, in the Martini Bar, with the Classic package. It was not a Happy Hour. I had the first one at lunchtime on Embarkation and it was never a problem every evening from then on. It was the month before your cruise, and on a different ship so possibly things changed at that time. But I wish they could get their act together and introduce some kind of uniformity as it makes it very difficult to know what you can and cannot have.

I will be on the Equinox later this year and am looking forward to the Classic size martinis, I will be so disappointed if they are no longer available. As 'Giorgi-one' stated earlier in this thread, it's not good to always have to ask what drink you can have within the package. Sort of takes away the fun.

OP is from May 2014. Celebrity has since reverted back to the original list of offerings--it is not as restricted as the OP's listings. You should have no issues getting what you did before.

If you go to this link & click on the "classic package" link within the classic package description, you will get the current listing of drinks available on the plan. (in Adobe)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/onboard-beverage-packages?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages_overview#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic&ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=&currencyCode=USD

Edited by KKB