Serious question about roll calls

txflood33

That's total BS. I have never been on a cruise ship that does that, and I have sailed on several cruise lines. And if I did, I would remove the name as soon as I discovered it. It is nobody's business who I am unless I volunteer that information. To me it is an invasion of privacy if the cruise line stoops to that tactic. It is a failure to respect the privacy of their passengers.

You obviously have never sailed on Princess Cruise Lines!

Read that post in question again. The poster titled that post "Wow, the paranoia reigns", a criticism of people who don't like their names displayed. Then he claims that "Many cruise lines post the names of occupants outside each and every cabin on the ship", a completely inaccurate claim. He continues to lecture those other posters by writing "What is the big deal? Folks already know that someone occupies the cabin; who cares if they know my name?".

Well, according to the math I learned in school, one cruise line is hardly "many". Claiming that "many" do this is indeed incorrect because most do not. Which makes calling such a claim "BS" to be pretty much spot-on accurate.

Would you be more pleased if I changed the word from many to some? I accept your "gotcha". Be proud!

Many cruise lines post the names of occupants outside each and every cabin on the ship...

That's total BS. I have never been on a cruise ship that does that, and I have sailed on several cruise lines...

Well, we actually know it's not total BS. But how many is "many" cruise lines? The majority? Several? How many? This can of worms has been opened and now I am curious. Let's make a list. I'm sure there are quite a few lines represented here by the members posting - let's count 'em up-

Names of occupants on cabin door:

Princess does.

RCI does not.

I always check roll calls for every cruise I take. Usually just read. Most are pretty boring and of no use. Some provide good information regarding hotels, flights, etc. I just wade through the nonsense chit chat for useful information.

If someone if organizing a Cabin Crawl and we want to show our cabin then we give our cabin number to the person in charge of arranging this.

Other than that we give only the information we feel comfortable giving out.

I'm sure this has come up before...but I wasn't here then and I really wouldn't even know how to search this to find the previous post...(if there is a way and you know how, please don't send me the link)

I know roll calls have been here a while...I was here 10 years ago gathering info for my 1st cruise and they were happening then.

I guess my question is....why do you sign up and give out room number info? I don't have a concern about unsafe weird internet people, I mean we are in a highly populated area with police?/security? and a jail. But what if I'm just a weird person in general and nothing how you pictured my internet me? Maybe I'm a overly friendly, close talker with bad breath.

I find it fascinating there are so many, it seems, that would make their own vacation into a group vacation.

Share the thoughts into opening your family vacation.......and then share the story of when you met the close talker....please :rolleyes:

We have yet to experience that active of a roll call, but we do sign up for them each time. The reason we do is because we travel just the two of us, we are 30 years old, no kids and as much as we love being together we also love to meet new people and have fun with others. So we like the option of knowing some people on our cruise, not that we have any problems meeting folks. We will never give out our room info or personal info though.

I think I am afraid of making a commitment. :) We are finally travelling now that the kids are (more or less) grown up and we enjoy each other's company. We like doing things together and eating our meals together. We've chatted with people and made acquaintances and been happy when we run into the same people on a cruise, but we aren't into the big, group table at dinner in the MDR. We are relatively private people.

I guess our fear is the "roll-call-zillas". We would enjoy meeting people at a meet & mingle, and perhaps sharing some private excursions. We look at that as being to everyone's benefit if we can swing a better tour or a better price that way. Can we just leave it at that though? Or would we be expected to go on cabin crawls and other things that we aren't interested in, and if we didn't participate in that, would it be frowned upon? Would we be looked at as being anti-social? Am I worrying too much?

I guess our fear is the "roll-call-zillas". We would enjoy meeting people at a meet & mingle, and perhaps sharing some private excursions. We look at that as being to everyone's benefit if we can swing a better tour or a better price that way. Can we just leave it at that though? Absolutely Or would we be expected to go on cabin crawls and other things that we aren't interested in, and if we didn't participate in that, would it be frowned upon? No Would we be looked at as being anti-social? Not at all Am I worrying too much? Maybe ;)

Don't be afraid to join in the fun -- participate as much (or as little) as you wish -- and have a great time! :cool:

we've been on 5 cruises and joined roll call and meet and greets.I have initiated a couple roll calls and acted as co ordinator for 2.

perhaps we've been lucky but have met some really nice people and shared shore excursions with some of them.2 couples we got on so well we kept in touch and have met up with them again even though we are opposite sides of the Atlantic

not everyone on the roll call is interested in the meet and greet and some people get so caught up in activities they forget-fair enough although it can result in an embarrassing overcatering when only half the predicted numbers turn up!

Some cruises there was interest in cabin crawl and gift exchanges-some not-

no pressure if that's not your thing

I have posted cabin number on roll call in the past-this worked out very well when the ship brought the meet and greet forward 24 hours and didn't inform co ordinator till we were on board. Those who had posted their cabin numbers were able to be informed of the change but as no real names were posted and the ship was not aware of forum nicknames lots of people were unable to be contacted.

creating a separate email address for use on forum which forwards to my regular one adds an extra privacy level but is a good way to initiate communication re shared excursions and keep the roll call clear of personal chit chat

the roll call can drop off the page after a certain period of inactivity and I have found myself keeping the thread alive by posting regularly but try to make it relevant info I have found out about the ship or ports.I hope that no one thinks I am trying to monopolise the thread!

personally I like being able to acknowledge or chat to people we first met at meet and greet around the ship but don't feel obliged to eat with them[unless we want to]

long winded way of saying the roll call is a resource you can make as much or little use as you want and certainly doesn't commit you to anything

Edited by fabnfortysomething

I will admit one thing I'm apprehensive about re roll calls is the gift exchanges. How can there not be peer pressure to participate? Or does the exchange generally happen at some other venue/time than the meet & greet?

I will admit one thing I'm apprehensive about re roll calls is the gift exchanges. How can there not be peer pressure to participate? Or does the exchange generally happen at some other venue/time than the meet & greet?

There really has been no peer pressure to participate in any on the M&Gs we've been where there was also a gift exchange.

We NEVER participate.

Normally, those who are put their gift (one per cabin) on a table. Toward the end, those who brought a gift go to the table and select a gift ... sometimes, they draw a number to determine who goes first, second, etc.

Only about half attending actually participate.

While we don't do the gift exchange, we don't mind if there is one. :)

LuLu

Well, we actually know it's not total BS. But how many is "many" cruise lines? The majority? Several? How many? This can of worms has been opened and now I am curious. Let's make a list. I'm sure there are quite a few lines represented here by the members posting - let's count 'em up-

Princess does.

RCI does not.

NCLdoes not

Update

Princess does.

RCI does not.

Adding to the above.

Celebrity does not. Unless they chaned in the last few years, which I doubt.

NCL does not.

Many cruise lines post the names of occupants outside each and every cabin on the ship.

That's total BS. I have never been on a cruise ship that does that, and I have sailed on several cruise lines. And if I did, I would remove the name as soon as I discovered it. It is nobody's business who I am unless I volunteer that information. To me it is an invasion of privacy if the cruise line stoops to that tactic. It is a failure to respect the privacy of their passengers.

Princess does.

RCI does not.

Princess does.

RCI does not.

NCL does not.

Carnival does not.

HAL does not.

Celebrity does not.

Disney does not.

Crystal does not.

Azamara does not

Oceania does not

Yep, I can certainly see how one out of ten might be confused as "many". :rolleyes:

Edited by swsfrail

I've come to the conclusion that roll calls in general (on here) fall into one of two categories: Useful or Useless. We typically don't provide much in the way of personal information, such as cabin number, full names, etc. on a roll call. Our last roll call had sporadic participation at best, mostly from about three or four of the same people. However, one person in our group set up a Facebook page for our cruise that was very active, and many of the people on there had never heard of Cruise Critic. I've noticed that sometimes a person will post on a roll call that they'll be on that particular cruise, and they'd be interested in information regarding pre-cruise hotels, or seeking excursion information, but not necessarily interested in a Meet & Greet.

To add, Windstar and Paul Gauguin do not.

This is the current list of the "many" cruise lines that post the names of occupants on cabin door compared to those that don't (yes, I AM keeping score! :D ):

Princess does.

Azamara does not.

Carnival does not.

Celebrity does not.

Crystal does not.

Disney does not.

HAL does not.

NCL does not.

Oceania does not.

Paul Gauguin does not.

RCI does not.

Windstar does not.

Score: DOES = 1; DOES NOT = 11

Hmmmm, I think I am seeing a trend developing. :p

Edited by swsfrail

I always maintain my own webpage for our roll call group. It shows at a minimum the person's ID, first name, and the area where they live. They can add further info such as a photo, room number, and email address. I also keep track of the events each person will take part in.

I have never understood why someone would want to keep their cabin number secret. Every cabin has a name tag outside with the passengers' full names (at least on Princess).

Edited by denmarks

I always maintain my own webpage for our roll call group. It shows at a minimum the person's ID, first name, and the area where they live. They can add further info such as a photo, room number, and email address. I also keep track of the events each person will take part in.

I have never understood why someone would want to keep their cabin number secret. Every cabin has a name tag outside with the passengers' full names (at least on Princess).

Yes, at least on Princess and if you look at the post above yours, you will see that Princess seems to be the only line that puts names on cabins.

And apparently ONLY on Princess, according to the list in the post above yours. Some of us value our privacy. I DO NOT want my name posted on my stateroom door. I consider it a privacy issue that I believe the cruise line should respect, and will remove any such tag immediately. I don't need for everyone to know who I am. I don't need to feed my ego with such nonsense.

Some people need to stick their noses in other people's business by keeping lists of their activities. I am not one of those. And expect the same in return.

Edited by swsfrail

I've come to the conclusion that roll calls in general (on here) fall into one of two categories: Useful or Useless. We typically don't provide much in the way of personal information, such as cabin number, full names, etc. on a roll call. Our last roll call had sporadic participation at best, mostly from about three or four of the same people. However, one person in our group set up a Facebook page for our cruise that was very active, and many of the people on there had never heard of Cruise Critic. I've noticed that sometimes a person will post on a roll call that they'll be on that particular cruise, and they'd be interested in information regarding pre-cruise hotels, or seeking excursion information, but not necessarily interested in a Meet & Greet.

Did you have a meet and greet? If so was the cruise line told it was a Cruise Critic group.

Well, I don't do FB -- and I don't intend to join, to participate in a private roll-call. So, that would rule me out. And, while I will exchange e-mails addresses with selected people, once we're onboard, I don't give that info out anywhere on a public forum. I also don't post pictures on the forum, and would not send a picture of me or my DH to someone I did not know.

The one thing I don't have a problem with posting is my cabin number -- and, if we ever cruise on Princess, I probably won't have a problem with having it posted on the door. Now, that would change in a heartbeat, if I were a woman traveling alone.

Well, I don't do FB -- and I don't intend to join, to participate in a private roll-call. So, that would rule me out. And, while I will exchange e-mails addresses with selected people, once we're onboard, I don't give that info out anywhere on a public forum. I also don't post pictures on the forum, and would not send a picture of me or my DH to someone I did not know.

The one thing I don't have a problem with posting is my cabin number -- and, if we ever cruise on Princess, I probably won't have a problem with having it posted on the door. Now, that would change in a heartbeat, if I were a woman traveling alone.

Well, to be accurate, ALL cruise lines post the cabin number on or near the door. :D How else would you find your room? ;)

Edited by boogs