Bogo promo not such a good deal?

I am currently booked for an upcoming Med cruise this August and told my DS about the promo that is going on, as she is planning to do a similar itinerary next summer with her family. I told her that now would be the time to book, as the BOGO promo would be a great incentive to book this far out. When I called RCI i was told that the prices that are published online are already discounted to include the 50% off fare for the 2nd person. I fail to see where the promo is??? The "normal" price I booked at for this summer is nearly $300pp less than the "promo" price for next year at the same time. I would imagine that the price would increase for next year due to inflation etc etc. Which would account for the $300pp difference, so where is the "special" pricing? I would hazard a guess that once the promo is over you could probably book this cruise at around the same cost...Am I missing something? I realize that you cannot predict what will happen in the cruise industry, prices may fall drastically due to economy etc or they may rise drastically but, RCI is holding your deposit of over $1000 (for 4 people) for 18 months and offering no real incentive IMHO.

Firstly is it a similar ship and also is it a similar cabin?

Different ships in the med doing similar itineraries can vary substantially in price.

It is only when you run the price through and do a mock booking you can actually see where the half off is.

Seems like some cruises had price jumps right before the BOGOHO sale started, so their discount prices are not that great. However, many people, including myself, saved money. The sale applied to 3 of our cruises. Two had significant savings, and one had a big jump before the sale so that even with the sale price, it's still more than I paid.

Different ships in the med doing similar itineraries can vary substantially in price.

It is only when you run the price through and do a mock booking you can actually see where the half off is.

I actually called RCI and had them price it for me. It is the same# of days, but the ship that we have booked is Serenade of the seas and the one that is being offered with the same itinerary next year is Vision of the Seas, which looks to be a similar ship. Also both were the same cabin Midship, ocean view.

Edited by anniversay/grad trip

I actually called RCI and had them price it for me. It is the same# of days, but the ship that we have booked is Serenade of the seas and the one that is being offered with the same itinerary next year is Vision of the Seas, which looks to be a similar ship. Also both were the same cabin Midship, ocean view.

You may have been lucky and got a good deal on yours.

On current prices august this year in a JS for example is running $700 pp more expensive than Vision for august next year on similar itinerary. The only way to get a relative price is to compare current pricing for each sailing.

Remember if overall cost of cabin goes down they can get the new price honored.

I acknowledge that I am not always the brightest bulb in the chandalier but when looking at this latest marketing effort by RCI I am reminded of the old "shopping clubs" of the 70's and still being used by some of our current retailers.

We will raise the price and then declare for all to hear that we are cutting our prices and calling it a special sale.

My bride and I checked several of the "specials" and the prices to be the same as they were earlier.

Please know I appreciate great marketing and will not criticize Royal for doing what they can to keep us coming back. Glad they don't realize how really easy it is to have us coming back.

Guess it depended on the cruise and dates, I called on day 1, after an email from a tracker I use. I called and we got an amazing deal on the first week, tho I will admit that the second week had a slight jump, but I got the discount for the first week, and left the second week alone....

But... The deal was so good that we booked 2 more cruises 18 months out in a JS that cost us much less than a balcony we had 3 years ago, on the same ship.

There have been good deal and not so good deals.... I just remember that this is a business that wants to make a profit for its shareholders. Do they care that we, the cruisers, really get the best deal?..Only if they make a profit.. Heck they have my $1120 deposit for up to 2 years, how many businesses let you give them full use your money that far in advance.....

Edited by Valiamo

I saw the BOGO sale at RCI & called my TA about it. I booked a cruise for next May onboard in March. Could I cancel & rebook & was told no. RCI specifically addressed that issue. The difference would have paid for a scooter rental for my husband. It was worth a try. I was a little bummed I couldn't get the lower price.

I saw the BOGO sale at RCI & called my TA about it. I booked a cruise for next May onboard in March. Could I cancel & rebook & was told no. RCI specifically addressed that issue. The difference would have paid for a scooter rental for my husband. It was worth a try. I was a little bummed I couldn't get the lower price.

Who told you that you could not get the BOGOHO deal? I booked a cruise in March and my TA was able to get me the deal. If the TA is telling you this you need to call back and get a 3 way call. Many of us on these boards have been able to get the deal on previously booked cruises.

You were given bad info from your TA or else they just did not want to do it. You do not have to cancel and re-book. If you do that you would lose the OBC from booking onboard. Your TA should be able to call RCL and get your price adjusted if it is to your benefit. Lots of folks have been doing that.

I would try again. Good luck

For Europe, you also need to consider the month. When we booked our Baltic cruise (Celebrity, not RCI), the price for our cabin in May was $1,000/person less than in June! Guess what? We leave on Sunday!:D

You were given bad information...I had a cruise that was originally an Open Booking. I called the first day of the sale and got $800 off the already awesome price!:) If the prices are still down, you need to contact your TA and insist they reprice your cruise.

The "deals" were available on May 1st and unfortunately they went up only after just a few days. Many people were getting their cruises reduced and stayed on hold for up to an hour to get the deal.

They sold so many new cruises during the first week that prices have gone up and are not good deals.

This is the case of the early bird gets the worm, or the "deal" in this case.

We got a great deal on the Allure and are happy, happy, happy!!

IMO this is the BEST sale I have ever seen on RCI.

The March 2015 10-day southern Caribbean out of FLL has the same itinerary and is the same time period as the trip we booked for March 2016...difference is the ship (we booked Serenade, the 2015 is on the Legend).

Our 2016 booking is $1500 less than the 2015 prices for the same category. Very happy with that savings.

I am always leery of "sales". i wish there was a really good way to know when a sale is really a sale or just another gimmick.

Alas, this is the case with any major purchase. With the internet, the info is there, you just have to do the research. How do I know the 60 inch Jawaski TV is a good deal? I have to know the MSRP and what lowest sale price has been. It just takes some digging.

To relate to RCCL sale, I wanted to sail Oasis or Allure (of course only at a great deal) so a few months ago I researched what the lowest prices had been for an OV and an OV balcony. There is a website with this historical information. Did it take some time on my part, yes. Was it worth it, yes.

I am C&A gold and I was lucky to see the sale the first day. Since I had done my research ahead of time I knew what a great deal was so I could jump on it right away. Lowest price for OV balcony (not sure but probably a D8) over last two years was $800pp for 7 day E carrib before taxes, etc. Remember that is including price drops after final payment, so when they are really trying to fill up the ship.

My cruise tracking site listed the D6 balcony price at $786pp. To my surprise when I logged in to book the cruise I had a C&A discount also so price was $725pp. I booked right away. Then two days later I canceled and rebooked on board Vision so I also got $100 OBC and reduced deposit down to $200.

For the cruises I was looking at, it didn't really work out well for me. However, I do know that for people that normally book 4 to a room, it is a great way for them to split up and spread out because the 3rd and 4th do not get the discount in the same room. I think it is almost just like any other Royal sale. Works out great for some and not so great for others. I think I've found better deals out there when things are quiet and there are no special sales going on .

Debbie

JMO, but I think the sale was very good the first few days, .

Agreed. I checked prices for April 2015, the first day of the sale and got 898.00 (449.00 pp) before taxes for two in a Promenade cabin on Freedom of the Seas. I think final total was a little over 1100.00. I thought that was a really good deal.

That same cruise now is 599.00 pp before taxes for an almost a 1500.00 total. Still not a BAD deal but not great either. Just about the same we paid in 2012 for the same cruise.

I priced the 7/27 12-Night Med Greek Isles sailing on Vision for 2 adults and 1 child on 3/13/14, and the price for a cat D1 was $8,164.51. I priced the same sailing a few days ago and the price was $6,609.18 for the same category. We've decided to hold off on the Med for another year, or I would have booked it.

Edited by LisaLisa87

The March 2015 10-day southern Caribbean out of FLL has the same itinerary and is the same time period as the trip we booked for March 2016...difference is the ship (we booked Serenade, the 2015 is on the Legend).

Our 2016 booking is $1500 less than the 2015 prices for the same category. Very happy with that savings.

We have a roll call started for 3/18/16 come join us. This is one of the cruises that did go up the day before the sale. Only $200 for an E2, but still up.

I am always leery of "sales". i wish there was a really good way to know when a sale is really a sale or just another gimmick.

If you do a mock booking, assuming you logged in, you can see all of the details starting from the gross, taxes & fees and various discounts. When the sale came out, I had an idea what the gross price was for our Oasis cruise and when I did the mock we saved approximately $300 per, plus 2 sets of OBC's and dinner for 2 at a Specialty restaurant.

I acknowledge that I am not always the brightest bulb in the chandalier but when looking at this latest marketing effort by RCI I am reminded of the old "shopping clubs" of the 70's and still being used by some of our current retailers.

We will raise the price and then declare for all to hear that we are cutting our prices and calling it a special sale.

My bride and I checked several of the "specials" and the prices to be the same as they were earlier.

Please know I appreciate great marketing and will not criticize Royal for doing what they can to keep us coming back. Glad they don't realize how really easy it is to have us coming back.

I wouldn't call this sale a pure marketing gimmick by any means.

That probably happened for some ships and dates there were several threads with dozens of people posting drops of 20% or more on their booked cruises. There's a reason the RCI phone lines were jammed for the first few days of May, tons of people were calling and getting price reductions. I was one of them, my cruise in May 2015 dropped 20% in price off what I already thought was a fair price.

In many cases (obviously not all) it's a legitimate sale IMO.

There are sites that track the prices of cruises from the time they are released. We're not supposed to mention them by name, but Mr. Google knows where they are :p