Is there NOTHING positive about Celebrity any more? (Threads Merged)

K.T.B.

I've lost count over how many threads I've read the past few days about how bad Celebrity is now. Poor food quality, buffet is terrible, specialty restaurants are not so special, rusty ships, bad customer service, etc., etc., etc.

I completely agree with you! My husband and I are booked on our first Celebrity Cruise (after sailing Carnival, HAL and RC in the past) and I'm honestly a little bit worried. It's a vacation! How can it be so terrible?!?! I'm wondering though if it's really as bad as everyone is making it seem or if people just have expectations that are a little too high. Honestly I'm happy to finally see a positive post!!! I was just telling my husband that I'm not as excited about reading up on this cruise as I usually am because I hate reading all of the negativity!! Guess I just need to keep rereading this post - I'm looking forward to a fun week!

Edited by jenafish

For me they offer better Caribbean itineraries than Princess. They have a Southern itinerary out of San Juan and Bermuda out of Cape Liberty. Princess doesn't offer any Caribbean sailing out of San Juan or from NY/ NJ. Well they do have one reposition cruise in Oct but timing is bad for me. I also prefer the M class ships over the Grand and Royal class Princess ships. Itinerary and sailing date are on the top of my list so for now Celebrity gets my business. Truth be told if all things are equal Princess would be my first choice. The food is better and the drinks cocktails are less expensive. The buffet doesn't have set times like they do on the Summit so there is always something to eat when you get back to the ship at three. Celebrity does have a better room set up. We stayed in ocean views on both lines and the Summit was more comfortable than the room on the Caribbean Princess. I would rather have a larger shower and a nice place to sit than the closet area that they have on Princess. None of the cut backs on Celebrity mean anything to me except for the drink package change. I just didn't like the idea of paying for something that I wouldn't get. It seems liked they fixed that issue now.

I love most everything about Celebrity! My first and only complaint about Celebrity this cruise on the Summit was the food, especially the buffet…Otherwise, the service, the crew, the officers, the guests, the shows etc were all very good.. Did I mention the free drink package?? I did fine with the Classic, DH upgraded mainly for the better wines…

How was the MDR?

I've lost count over how many threads I've read the past few days about how bad Celebrity is now. Poor food quality, buffet is terrible, specialty restaurants are not so special, rusty ships, bad customer service, etc., etc., etc. I'm expecting to see comments from people complaining that they got 1 ounce less champagne in their glass when they boarded....

Can anyone seriously point out something, anything, positive about Celebrity? The two cruises I've taken I definitely enjoyed them quite a bit and I look forward to the next one. Whatever problems/complaints I did have certainly won't stop me from sailing on Celebrity again. Overall, I love the experience Celebrity gives you.

Someone else must have a positive experience they can mention, right??

No I can not say anything positive about celebrity and I will tell you why.

I asked a coke to a waiter and she brought me a can and a glass with 3 ice cubes, can you imagine!!! 3 (!!!) ice cubes... she must have known from my previous cruise I always want 4 ice cubes!

My cruise was totally ruined because of this experience and lack of service so there's nothing good to say about celebrity, I doubt sincerely if I will ever book with them again!

(this is ment to be ironical)

I completely agree with you! My husband and I are booked on our first Celebrity Cruise (after sailing Carnival, HAL and RC in the past) and I'm honestly a little bit worried. It's a vacation! How can it be so terrible?!?! I'm wondering though if it's really as bad as everyone is making it seem or if people just have expectations that are a little too high. Honestly I'm happy to finally see a positive post!!! I was just telling my husband that I'm not as excited about reading up on this cruise as I usually am because I hate reading all of the negativity!! Guess I just need to keep rereading this post - I'm looking forward to a fun week!

We have sailed on RCCL, Carnival, Princess, HAL, Regent and Celebrity. Celebrity is without a doubt our most favorite line and the only one we sail on now. Ship's beauty and elegance, first class service, food quality, adherence to

A dress code in keeping with cruising traditions are just some of the reasons we are so loyal.

I may be the only person that this is important to, but I love, love, love the glass elevators - I have a fear of enclosed spaces and I can travel to every deck without worry! I also love everything else as well, especially Aqua Class cabin 1503 (ours for the third time in 2 weeks), the fantastic Ice Bar and Qsine!

No I can not say anything positive about celebrity and I will tell you why.

I asked a coke to a waiter and she brought me a can and a glass with 3 ice cubes, can you imagine!!! 3 (!!!) ice cubes... she must have known from my previous cruise I always want 4 ice cubes!

My cruise was totally ruined because of this experience and lack of service so there's nothing good to say about celebrity, I doubt sincerely if I will ever book with them again!

(this is ment to be ironical)

You may be trying to be ironic, but, in all seriousness, your post is typical of what I have been seeing a lot of lately.

There should be NO “free” champagne, period. They could save what, $2000 per cruise every week for every ship? I hope the free champagne goes away. As someone who drinks NO alcohol, I question why that should be built into my fare. I’ll be sure to write in my comment card : No free champagne please.

Want not, waste not. Also, certain religions are offended by free champagne.

So don’t just reduce it by an ounce. Reduce it by 100%. The complainers will complain no matter what.

And the winner for the most absurd complaint goes to....

#32 - Sitting at the Sunset Bar on the S-class, toes in the grass of the Lawn Club, enjoying the sunshine and watching the immense deep blue of the ocean pass by with a drink in hand :cool: paradise!

Can't wait for our upcoming Eclipse cruise! Yes we are already looking at booking the next one - and inviting our friends to come along and become Celebrity converts ;) they focus on the positives in life, as we do, and I'm confident they'll love it.

How was the MDR?

Service was excellent and the food was much better than buffet but still not up to Celebrity standards. I did not have lunch or breakfast there, only dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Service was excellent and the food was much better than buffet but still not up to Celebrity standards. I did not have lunch or breakfast there, only dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! I also see you were on the Breakaway...which would you do/prefer today...Breakaway or Summit? I haven't done a NCL in more than a decade. Has it changed for the better?

#32 - Sitting at the Sunset Bar on the S-class, toes in the grass of the Lawn Club, enjoying the sunshine and watching the immense deep blue of the ocean pass by with a drink in hand :cool: paradise!

Can't wait for our upcoming Eclipse cruise! Yes we are already looking at booking the next one - and inviting our friends to come along and become Celebrity converts ;) they focus on the positives in life, as we do, and I'm confident they'll love it.

Yeah, that's a definite winner. :cool:

We've sailed on NCL and RCI, and have seen several options no longer available on both cruise lines. Someone suggested we "upgrade" to Celebrity. We have scheduled a cruise for next year on The Equinox. Hope we are not disappointed!;)

I think there are some jaded people on Cruise Critic who lost the joy and wonder of cruising and have become nit-pickers and self-styled travel critics. My advice to them is diversify your vacations to add some freshness. We do cruises in about eighteen month intervals and still see the ships through new eyes as each adventure begins. Can't wait for June 2nd!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think there are some jaded people on Cruise Critic who lost the joy and wonder of cruising and have become nit-pickers and self-styled travel critics. My advice to them is diversify your vacations to add some freshness. We do cruises in about eighteen month intervals and still see the ships through new eyes as each adventure begins. Can't wait for June 2nd!

Bingo

Agree. We have cut back and now take a few land vacations to break up cruising. Worked like a charm.

Edited by cruisingator2

There should be NO “free” champagne, period. They could save what, $2000 per cruise every week for every ship? I hope the free champagne goes away. As someone who drinks NO alcohol, I question why that should be built into my fare. I’ll be sure to write in my comment card : No free champagne please.

Want not, waste not. Also, certain religions are offended by free champagne.

So don’t just reduce it by an ounce. Reduce it by 100%. The complainers will complain no matter what.

Number 1 it is not Champagne. You can have OJ instead. If we want to talk religions. Then no cloven hoofed animals or Crustaceans. Oh should we get rid on all non kosher food. Yes the fasting. Lets see the one that starts on Friday evening or the month long fasting. Nothing to the mouth from sunrise to sunset. Richard

The glass elevators were very nice, but the one had issues, it would beep when 6 or more people were in, and try explaining that to the last 2 on that they had to get out because it was beeping for over the limit. It was a pain in the butt, but didn't hurt my cruise experience!

We were in MDR for breakfast, and were excited for eggs Benedict, they were cold, and not overly tasty the day we had them.

And another thing was there was never any shrimp in the buffet, nit sure if this is normal, since it was our first Celebrity cruise, but my DH sure missed them. So he ordered extra in the MDR and he said they were good there!

You can get eggs benedict in the buffet too. At least we did on the Summit. Because of my husband's celiac issues, he would go get a freshly made poached egg and his new girlfriend (poached egg girl) would put it on spinach or salmon or whatever he wanted. He certainly loved seeing poached egg girl every day. :)

Other than that...the crew. They make us feel special in a way our kids just don't. They always seem happy to see us. Then there's the croissants and the black and white cookies. Well, for me. Unfortunately my gluten free husband doesn't understand the joy of these treats.

I'm sure there were lots of things wrong if we cared to look for them. The only bad part was leaving at the end of the cruise. We just didn't want to. We've only been on the Summit and the Century but we loved them both. Next we will be doing an anniversary cruise on the Infinity.

You can get eggs benedict in the buffet too. At least we did on the Summit. Because of my husband's celiac issues, he would go get a freshly made poached egg and his new girlfriend (poached egg girl) would put it on spinach or salmon or whatever he wanted. He certainly loved seeing poached egg girl every day. :)

Other than that...the crew. They make us feel special in a way our kids just don't. They always seem happy to see us. Then there's the croissants and the black and white cookies. Well, for me. Unfortunately my gluten free husband doesn't understand the joy of these treats.

I'm sure there were lots of things wrong if we cared to look for them. The only bad part was leaving at the end of the cruise. We just didn't want to. We've only been on the Summit and the Century but we loved them both. Next we will be doing an anniversary cruise on the Infinity.

We tried the precook end eggs Benedict in the buffet and they tasted the same as the ones in MDR- that being said- I ate them, lol

Like I said, no one starves on a cruise.

We didn't go looking for stuff, but some stuff you couldn't help but see, broken locks, burnt out light bulbs in theater, broken soap dispenser - didn't ruin our experience, just not what I expected

Agree. We have cut back and now take a few land vacations to break up cruising. Worked like a charm.

We've also done this. And strangely everytime we cruise again, they've changed.

What is feeding the cruise lines now is that they provide cheap vacation alternative. But as prices of food, fuel and services goes up, the lines are sacrificing a lot to hold those competitive prices. I wondering what it will take for us to say enough.

Burt