HELP - WHAT NEXT? - Done Bermuda, Mexico, Caribbean, Hawaii

hamlettm

As the topic says I need a little help, we have been to Bermuda, Mexico, Caribbean and Hawaii (all more than once) and loved all the cruises. We have been on Carnival, NCL and RCI...... we love NCL and RCI, we tried Carnival 3 times and it is our least favorite (thats for another thread).

Anyway, where should we go now? Alaska? Somewhere in Europe? What do you veteran cruise people suggest?

I heard Alaska was amazing, but what cruise line and ship do you suggest? We need to book fast as we have to go next month (I didn't prepare in advance heh)..... so thanks for any comments.

As the topic says I need a little help, we have been to Bermuda, Mexico, Caribbean and Hawaii (all more than once) and loved all the cruises. We have been on Carnival, NCL and RCI...... we love NCL and RCI, we tried Carnival 3 times and it is our least favorite (thats for another thread).

Anyway, where should we go now? Alaska? Somewhere in Europe? What do you veteran cruise people suggest?

I heard Alaska was amazing, but what cruise line and ship do you suggest? We need to book fast as we have to go next month (I didn't prepare in advance heh)..... so thanks for any comments.

Having done both Alaska and the Med, I'd say.......

Either one.

But, I'd probably do Alaska first again before the Med.

Both have the same issue - the fact that cruising along the coast will not really show you the whole picture, but it's a start.

As for the Alaska cruise, first you need to figure out what you want to see/do in Alaska. Then find a cruiseline that will give you that opportunity. Cruising in Alaska is more about itinerary than ship. I will point out that Holland America & Princess have been doing Alaska longer than anyone else and are quite good at it. They hold the majority of permits to cruise into Glacier Bay, it that matters to you.

Next month? Good luck. Alaskan cruises are very popular.

Which cruiseline do you use for your Hawaiian cruises? If on NCL, why not do the RT out of the west coast. Princess has a great cultural program on its ships to Hawaii -- you won't get bored on those sea days.

Favorites for us have been the Holy Lands, Alaska, and British Isles in that order. I'd recommend Princess for all three. We have enjoyed their port lecturers more than any other line's. Canada/New England is also interesting. We did that on Royal Caribbean because the ship left from our home port. Another favorite was a London to Boston stopping in Ireland, France, Iceland and Newfoundland on Royal Caribbean. DH loved our Asia cruise on Celebrity.

It's good to go where your heart tells you to go.

I would do the Panama Canal trip. First time do a round trip from ft Lauderdale or Miami. That way you can get off the ship and do a tour. I recomend a train ride thru Panama. Its awesome. The second time do a full transit. The difference is you can't get off in Panama but there are some wonderful ports before and after the Canal. What ever one you choose I hope you have a wonderful cruise

Guest maddycat

Alaska!!!! We did Alaska twice. The first time was a 7 night round trip from Vancouver on RCI. The second was a 12 night southbound cruise tour with RCI. We thoroughly enjoyed both cruises. RCI did an excellent job. Alaska is magnificent.

Go to Alaska. It's both different and amazing!

We've only been there twice on two different cruise line with different itineraries. We enjoyed both but I think the second on RC Radiance of the Seas outshines the first one due to the itinerary taking us to Hubbard Glacier and Icy Strait Point. We plan to go back again. Can't get enough of a good thing!

Happy cruising wherever you decide to go.

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'd do an Alaska or Greek Isles cruise. As far as the rest of Europe, we'd done a couple, but unless you only want a "taste", you don't get to see or experience a lot. For most ports, it's "pick one" of the sites to see, and with little exception, you don't get to experience any city at night. We have done several European river cruises and I would recommend one of those over an "ocean liner" European cruise if Europe is on your list.

You have a lot of choices. Unfortunately with air travel, your number of choices are proportional to the depth of your pockets. :D

Being as you only have a month to plan, look at last minute bookings, and best airfare combinations. Alaska is nice if there is a cabin available. Canada New England is best in the early fall. Baltic and med cruises are great choices too. But for these, requires months of planning to enjoy the ports.

Whatever is out there for you, enjoy and have fun.

Alaska on HAL, preferably their 14 day itinerary.

Spitsbergen, the Falklands, South Georgia Island, Galapagos, Greenland, Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Easter Island might all be good places to visit in my opinion. Those are really the places I would like to visit but I am also making a point. None of us can provide you w any useful advice unless we know a lot more about you than we do.

You have to make your own decisions based on your likes and dislikes, not ours.

DON

I'd say it's time to branch out and go farther from home, and for that I'd suggest the Med. Yeah, it's a long way, but SOOOO worth it.

IF at all possible, try for a cruise that departs from Venice, or even better, does r/t Venice. That's MY favorite place to cruise from because it is lovely and so unique. Sailing out of Venice through the city,via the Guidecca Canal, is an experience not to be missed.

Another reason to cruise from Venice now is that it appears that starting next year the size of ships being allowed to sail in and out of Venice is going to be regulated by the Italian government due to environmental and archaeological preservation concerns, and apparently also the restrict the number of cruise ships, so if you had ever hoped to have multiple options of ships to cruise out of Venice, 2014 is the year to do it.

I just got my Princess Captain's Circle magazine in yesterday's mail, and it shows itineraries for Europe and a couple other places, but the biggest change I saw was re: cruises involving Venice. Where in past years there were multiple Princess ships sailing in and out of Venice, in 2015, there's only ONE!! and it's only scheduled to do a very few. It's one of Princess' "medium sized" ships, the Island Princess.

I'm quite sure the other cruiselines are going to have to do the same .... cut way back on availability of ships using the port of Venice, and that will be a huge loss to cruisers.

We sailed the Caribbeam probably 60+ times and I'd go again without hesitation. We happen to love it and never tire of the beautiful blue water, the weather, the atmosphere, ease of travel. We also sailed Canada, Alaska, Europe etc but there's nothing wrong with repeating if you have enjoyed something in the past.

I know my dream cruise is the Panama Canal.

• 4 weeks later...

ALASKA !!!

Holland America has a fantastic 14-Day itinerary! Up the pan-handle. Across to Anchorage, Homer and Kodiak. Then, back across to the pan-handle (with different ports). Worth every penny!