RCCL change in smoking policy

Nothing like breathing a breath of fresh air into a dead topic.... :)

Regarding the ending of smoking on balconies, don't ever expect it to be allowed... Whether you like it or not expect all cruise lines who are members of IMO (International Maritime Organization) and participate and abide by SOLAS (International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea) to follow suite in the near future. Or... they have the option to install extremely expensive fire suppression systems and enhanced firewalls, etc, which is nearly cost prohibitive. The reason... after the 2006 fire on the Princess Ship SOLAS outlined guidelines to prevent future such events. People still debate the origin of this fire, but no matter how that fire started, SOLAS outlined several items that needed to happen to all member cruise ships. One choice was to ban smoking on balconies... or make very expensive changes to existing structures and furnishings. It wasn't a difficult decision for most cruise lines.

Regarding the ending of smoking on balconies, don't ever expect it to be allowed... Whether you like it or not expect all cruise lines who are members of IMO (International Maritime Organization) and participate and abide by SOLAS (International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea) to follow suite in the near future. Or... they have the option to install extremely expensive fire suppression systems and enhanced firewalls, etc, which is nearly cost prohibitive. The reason... after the 2006 fire on the Princess Ship SOLAS outlined guidelines to prevent future such events. People still debate the origin of this fire, but no matter how that fire started, SOLAS outlined several items that needed to happen to all member cruise ships. One choice was to ban smoking on balconies... or make very expensive changes to existing structures and furnishings. It wasn't a difficult decision for most cruise lines.

Finally some one else who understands why they won't allow smoking on balconies again and why the other lines will follow. I have mentioned this on other dead end smoking threads to no avail about balcony smoking and the safety issue. Smokers won't face reality.

Edited by Charles4515
h

The Star Princess after her April 2006 fire:

PICT0008.grid-6x2.jpg

If every on that doesn't smoke says that every balcony on both sides of them are always smokers seams like theres more smokers the non smokers the balconys will be full on the smoking side of the ship.

Now that NCL announced that they wont be changing there smoking policeys my agent told me see has had a lot of people changing there cruises Im shure this will make the non smokers happy till rates start increasing when ships start sailing with empty cabins

:eek:

The Star Princess after her April 2006 fire:

PICT0008.grid-6x2.jpg

It was never established that it was a cigarette from a balcony that started the fire!

But perhaps due to fire regs expense Princess stopped smoking, they were though sensible enough to allow e cigarette use in open air areas. I am sure the other cruise lines will follow suit with allowing e cigs as time goes by as they cant really enforce an e cig ban even with in cabin use "Now" as there is never any evidence anyone was or is using one:)

They will though also eventually ban all electrical items brought onboard for in cabin use except those that draw very low AMPs as in device/battery charging because laws and regulations now require all electrical appliances to be tested and tagged as safe to use!

If every on that doesn't smoke says that every balcony on both sides of them are always smokers seams like theres more smokers the non smokers the balconys will be full on the smoking side of the ship.

Now that NCL announced that they wont be changing there smoking policeys my agent told me see has had a lot of people changing there cruises Im shure this will make the non smokers happy till rates start increasing when ships start sailing with empty cabins

:eek:

If ships start sailing with empty cabins, rates will actually go down, not up, in an attempt to fill the cabins. Economics 101, the law of supply and demand.

Finally some one else who understands why they won't allow smoking on balconies again and why the other lines will follow. I have mentioned this on other dead end smoking threads to no avail about balcony smoking and the safety issue. Smokers won't face reality.

Please tell me where you found this SOLAS regulation that you keep remarking upon. The amendments to SOLAS Chapter II-2 that entered into force on July 1st, 2008, do not mention smoking on balconies at all. But what they DO say is that all cruise ships must adhere to the new regulations. New builds have to adhere at the time of construction and existing builds have to be retrofitted by the time of the first survey after July 1st 2008.

http://www1.veristar.com/veristar/dps_info.nsf/veristar/dps_info.nsf/AllByDateInternal/0D1DAF12849EA89EC12574040049DFEE?opendocument

I'm willing to admit that the regulations I'm looking at are older and are superseded by newer ones. So, please, tell me where you've seen this notion that SOLAS prohibits smoking on balconies. :confused:

Edited by tahqa

Please tell me where you found this SOLAS regulation that you keep remarking upon. The amendments to SOLAS Chapter II-2 that entered into force on July 1st, 2008, do not mention smoking on balconies at all. But what they DO say is that all cruise ships must adhere to the new regulations. New builds have to adhere at the time of construction and existing builds have to be retrofitted by the time of the first survey after July 1st 2008.

http://www1.veristar.com/veristar/dps_info.nsf/veristar/dps_info.nsf/AllByDateInternal/0D1DAF12849EA89EC12574040049DFEE?opendocument

I'm willing to admit that the regulations I'm looking at are older and are superseded by newer ones. So, please, tell me where you've seen this notion that SOLAS prohibits smoking on balconies. :confused:

If you go to the IMO web site and register for the documents available to the public (registration is required but free) you can then find the mentioned documents. I'm not sure if it allowed for me to post a link here... but you do have to register to see the public documents. And... I will say that IMO through SOLAS is not prohibiting smoking on balconies and I have never said it did so. The convention gave cruise lines an option... to make changes to the fire suppression systems and balcony furnishings or make other arrangements to avoid ignition possibilities.

One choice was to ban smoking on balconies... or make very expensive changes to existing structures and furnishings.

Here is your statement. The SOLAS documents never say that banning smoking is a choice to meet the new regulations. The documents do, however, say that the changes to requirements MUST be meet in order to keep certification. This is for both new builds and existing builds.

If you go to the IMO web site and register for the documents available to the public (registration is required but free) you can then find the mentioned documents. I'm not sure if it allowed for me to post a link here... but you do have to register to see the public documents. And... I will say that IMO through SOLAS is not prohibiting smoking on balconies and I have never said it did so. The convention gave cruise lines an option... to make changes to the fire suppression systems and balcony furnishings or make other arrangements to avoid ignition possibilities.

Umm... you said that SOLAS gave the ship owners the choice to ban smoking on balconies or to make expensive changes to the ships. Your words, not mine.

So, please post the links to the documents. By all means. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that the cruise lines are banning smoking because it is their prerogative to do so and they feel it is in their financial interest to do so.

Edited by tahqa

Here is your statement. The SOLAS documents never say that banning smoking is a choice to meet the new regulations. The documents do, however, say that the changes to requirements MUST be meet in order to keep certification. This is for both new builds and existing builds.

Umm... you said that SOLAS gave the ship owners the choice to ban smoking on balconies or to make expensive changes to the ships. Your words, not mine.

So, please post the links to the documents. By all means. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that the cruise lines are banning smoking because it is their prerogative to do so and they feel it is in their financial interest to do so.

If you are unable or unwilling to do the research or go through the documents then that is fine. You may believe whatever you like. Your quick reply assures me that you will not take the time to do the research on your own... and I have no incentive to do it for you. You may dispute whatever you like, and nit pick my posts. Either go find the documents... I've given you plenty of information... or not. I hope you enjoy your next cruise... I will enjoy my smoke free balcony!!

If you are unable or unwilling to do the research or go through the documents then that is fine. You may believe whatever you like. Your quick reply assures me that you will not take the time to do the research on your own... and I have no incentive to do it for you. You may dispute whatever you like, and nit pick my posts. Either go find the documents... I've given you plenty of information... or not. I hope you enjoy your next cruise... I will enjoy my smoke free balcony!!

That's just it... I've done the research and have gone through the documents. I'm a scientist and an engineer and I know how to do research.

You've made the claim that "SOLAS outlined several items that needed to happen to all member cruise ships. One choice was to ban smoking on balconies... or make very expensive changes to existing structures and furnishings. " And this is simply not true. The SOLAS convention that went into effect in 2008 said that the cruise lines had to follow certain standards for balcony construction, balcony furniture materials, and balcony fire suppression systems. All cruise lines had to meet these new standards regardless of the age of the ship. There are no options to ban smoking on balconies in lieu of meeting these standards.

That's my assertion and I provided proof of that in the previously mentioned link. All my quick reply indicates is that I had done my research before challenging your claim earlier today.

I was merely offering you the opportunity to back up your claim since you have made it repeatedly in many smoking threads. If a person claims something, they are obligated to support it and provide proof of it. And if I'm wrong then I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong. All I need is the proof.

I personally don't like smoking and do enjoy my smoke free balconies. But that doesn't absolve you from backing up your claim. It's not a nit pick, I just like accurate information. :cool:

But perhaps due to fire regs expense Princess stopped smoking, they were though sensible enough to allow e cigarette use in open air areas. I am sure the other cruise lines will follow suit with allowing e cigs as time goes by as they cant really enforce an e cig ban even with in cabin use "Now" as there is never any evidence anyone was or is using one:)

Agreed 100% for a multitude of reasons. I've completely transitioned from cigarettes to an e-cig and I find the current RCCL policy to be ill conceived and arbitrary as it forces non-smokers into smoking areas. A similar rule on land would be illegal in many locales.

Just for your information, Carnival has issued the same policy effective in Oct.

That leaves just NCL and HAL who allow smoking on balconies. It's just a matter of time before they follow suit. All lines have designated areas. I smoke an occasional cigar, and loved them on the balcony, but I know the majority of people do not smoke, and as they say; majority rules. I have no problem with the policy.

Convince your husband to stop smoking. Problem solved

Hear, hear! We've just come back from a 12 day cruise in the Mediterranean and whilst the no-smoking rules seemed to be adhered to more or less (we had a guy 2 cabins away who was often sitting out on his balcony with a cup of tea and a ciggie) I did notice that the curtains (drapes) in our cabin stank of stale smoke and could do with a good washing. Removing the remnants of other people's bad habits takes a little longer I suppose. I'm just happy that I am now 10 years and 1 month smoke-free. It's a great feeling!

Just for your information, Carnival has issued the same policy effective in Oct.

That leaves just NCL and HAL who allow smoking on balconies. It's just a matter of time before they follow suit. All lines have designated areas. I smoke an occasional cigar, and loved them on the balcony, but I know the majority of people do not smoke, and as they say; majority rules. I have no problem with the policy.

The NCL board is alive with the news that NCL will announce their balcony smoking ban tomorrow -- many people have claimed to have made phone calls to NCL and they've had it verified, though no announcement was made yet.

Who would have thought HAL would be the last major U.S. based mass-market line to continue to allow smoking on balconies? :confused:

There are rumors that HAL's announcement isn't far off

Edited by CRUZBUDS

Who would have thought HAL would be the last major U.S. based mass-market line to continue to allow smoking on balconies? :confused:

There are rumors that HAL's announcement isn't far off

Me, HAL was the last major U.S. based mass-market line to ban smoking in the dinning room. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Me, HAL was the last major U.S. based mass-market line to ban smoking in the dinning room.

That's interesting -- I didn't know that. I barely remember dinning room smoking. Our first cruise was on the Song of Norway in 1986 and they broke up the dinning room by tables. The table next to ours was smoking and ours wasn't. That didn't work well :rolleyes:

I am so ready for the Cruise Critic Sticky banning smoking on Balcony discussion threads because of this crap....all of you going back and forth and the non-smoker high horse crap.....its so exhausting.....

it is wasting bandwitdh and 1's and 0's

I am so ready for the Cruise Critic Sticky banning smoking on Balcony discussion threads because of this crap....all of you going back and forth and the non-smoker high horse crap.....its so exhausting.....

it is wasting bandwitdh and 1's and 0's

Not to worry, They keep extra 1's and 0's on hand just for these occasions. After the Great Digit Shortage of 2010, they vowed to never let that happen again.

NCL is going to announce balcony smoking ban today!

We managed to kill this thread for a day....and then you showed up with useless non- RCCL info....thanks :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do find it interesting and welcome the information. There were a lot of Royal cruisers who moved to NCL. Will have to see how many of them come back and how many give up cruising all together!