What do you do about eating on shore excursions?

warmwinds

I'm probably overthinking this since we just got the e-mail about the change in time.

It's not a "medical" issue, but I do get weak and lightheaded if I don't eat regularly (and yeah, on a cruise you do seem to eat non-stop).

The shore excursion is to a (relatively) remote area (Baddeck/Bell Museum out of Sydney in Nova Scotia) so I don't think there's a stop for shopping, etc., where there would also be places to grab a bite but I might be wrong.

That is a great excursion... one if the best we've been on but it has been awhile so I do not remember a food stop.

I am type 2 diabetic and always travel w/ pre packaged granola type bars., with at least 15 grams of carb and protein like peanut butter flavor..also good are ritz type crackers..cheese or peanut butter...small boxed cereal...can't afford to let my blood sugar drop!

I wouldn't rely on Celebrity "knowing" that people are returning after the designated lunch period and keeping extra lunch lines open. I have been on numerous ship's excursions that returned us after the lunch period and have found only pizza and the pool grille open and not prepared to serve a large influx of passengers - not a pretty sight.

Plan for the worst (no stop for a snack) and hope for the best. I have done as a couple of other posters by bringing a couple of granola bars in our luggage if we know we'll be on a tour that has no listed lunch or snack. And in many cases, even though not listed, there were options.

The one time we didn't do that was on a cruise where we went to a cooking class figuring that we'd get things to eat as each course was made. And of course, that didn't happen. :eek: We had to wait until every course was done - about 2.5 hours. So we ended up having a liquid lunch. Several Red Stripes and a bag of potato chips.

Just obey the laws and take prepackaged food. We always pack nuts and meal bars just in case . There may be sniffer dogs in Sydney. Take a bottle of water . We always fill our thermos before we leave the ship.

Muffins, bread, cookies, NO!

Boxed cereal should be OK in most countries

wheat, sugar, nuts, ..... All are agricultural products

Never had a problem even when the they ask and I show them what I have. It's fruits and meats and cheeses they are looking for NOT cookies and muffins . The question asked is if you have any FRUIT.

That is a great excursion... one if the best we've been on but it has been awhile so I do not remember a food stop.

I am type 2 diabetic and always travel w/ pre packaged granola type bars., with at least 15 grams of carb and protein like peanut butter flavor..also good are ritz type crackers..cheese or peanut butter...small boxed cereal...can't afford to let my blood sugar drop!

Surely type 2 the problem is rising sugar levels not dropping !

High blood sugars don't do nearly as much damage as low blood sugars. I also am a Type 2 diabetic and I always have glucose candies with me wherever I go. If asked I always declare them and have never has them taken off me.

An earlier poster commented that they couldn't understand the issue with taking food ashore. In NZ and Australia agriculture is an important part of our economies and unwanted diseases and pests could descimate these industries. Some commercials food is okay provided it is properly packed in an industrial facility, some foods irrespective of how they are packaged are banned.

Suggest if in doubt check the appropriate country's website and always declare it to customs and ag people. Fines can be heavy.

High blood sugar is damaging over time, but low blood sugar can make you pass out and even go into a coma. I'm a type 2 diabetic, and my husband knows if I start looking groggy or have a hard time talking, to get me a small bit of juice or something. I tend to stash something like a granola bar in my purse at all times. I recently discovered you can get Kind bars (which are low sugar in some varieties AND have protein) for close to $1/bar on Amazon, so now I keep those around. But, yeah, knowing when I'm eating next is important. If you're type 1, I understand it's even more important.

I have hypoglycemia and have to eat a pretty strict high protein, low carb, low sugar diet with food every 2-3 hours. I've been on two cruises now with tons of shore excursions. Whether there is food available on the tour depends on the tour and location. Don't hesitate to ask the tour operator. When we were in Dominica, the tour was 6.5 hours and over lunch time and did not include food. However, the operator said there would be opportunities to purchase food and there was. We brought some extra cash and enjoyed yummy local food at bathroom/souvenir stops. On others, there was nothing available.

I always ate a high-protein breakfast right before leaving. You can take only pre-packaged food off the ship. I brought small packages of peanuts and protein bars from home in my suitcase and always took some with me when we went off the ship. Most of the time we found local food which was really fun, but not always, so I had my backup. Then I always ate right after getting back on the ship. If I remember right, the options were lacking between 2-4 unless you want pizza, but I loved Bistro on 5 at that time. At 4 they have the mini sandwiches in the buffet.

A previous poster wrote "The question asked is if you have any FRUIT." Perhaps you misunderstood. They typically asked "do you have any food".

Here is a statement taken from a recent Celebrity Today:

Quarantine on Transit of Food

Guests are not permitted to take food off the ship, or to bring cooked food, plants, or seeds onboard from our ports-of-call.

Biosecurity Regulations prohibit the removal of ship's food from the vessel.

Items that cannot be removed from the vessel include: Fresh fruits and vegetables, meats of any kind, prepared meals including sandwiches, dairy products, any other consumable food items, flowers, seeds or plants.

wheat, sugar, nuts, ..... All are agricultural products[/

I took a couple of the peanut cookies off the ship in my handbag, I was going to take them to the cabin and forgot they were in my bag, I ate them off the ship, I never gave it a thought, are they not allowed, if so why, how can something coming from my bag being eaten by me harm ? Just wondering what the rules are for ?

My take is that there is the concern of potential insect infestation for anything not pre-packaged. That's why food items like you had are a no-no.

I took a couple of the peanut cookies off the ship in my handbag, I was going to take them to the cabin and forgot they were in my bag, I ate them off the ship, I never gave it a thought, are they not allowed, if so why, how can something coming from my bag being eaten by me harm ? Just wondering what the rules are for ?

These are laws to protect local agriculture from non-native pests and/or viruses. If you would have been caught with the cookies, and I've seen more than one person found with illegal food, the fine can be as large as $250. As for your cookies, they can attract pests that could damage local agriculture and even native plants.

Believe me, these laws can be very strict. When we moved our son to California from Texas, there were agriculture control stations at the state border, and they checked everything in the truck. We had a few plants, and those were taken and thrown into a garbage can, as they would not allow live plants to be brought into the state. Australia, when we cruised there, was extremely tough on bringing ANYTHING off the ship---even packaged goods. The other very tough place is Hawaii. They check everything coming off the ship.

Most that fall during lunch usually include something, don't they?

We had one scheduled for 1 pm, planned on eating something beforehand. It has now been changed to 10 am, it's 4 hours long, and no mention of a meal. I know you can't bring food off the ship, and there MIGHT be a place to grab something during the tour, but again, maybe not.

I doubt that any ship tour that is 4 hours long would include either food included or a stop to buy food unless they specifically say so or say they have free time for shopping.

We've been on much longer tours that do not include meals nor time to buy one and full day tours that do not include meals - although the full day tours that do not include meals usually have free time in areas where food is available.

We enjoy getting our own food on shore as it gets us the opportunity to get fresh seafood or local dishes. If it isn't included in a tour we'll often get something before or after the tour. If we're not going to be interested in doing that due to the port or timing of the tour then we'll do as others have said and have a big breakfast and something to eat when we return. Even though the buffet selection is reduced after the main lunch hours there is always the grill (burgers and hot dogs), pasta bar, pizza, salad bar and usually some other areas open as well in the afternoon. Room service is also always available.

Edited by Lsimon

This cannot be a serious question.

I'm "young" and healthy - for the most part. I can go without food for a while.

I have breakfast. Grab a bottle of water on the way out and then eat when the excursion is over.

On the recent TA we stopped in the Azores and did a 5 hour ship excursion that ended at about 1.30pm. I was pretty appalled to see people on the bus chowing down on bananas and apples and what looked like cheese and crackers.

At the end of the excursion most people went back to the ship but we went to a restaurant in Ponta Delgado and had a most fabulous and authentic Portuguese meal.

I'm probably overthinking this since we just got the e-mail about the change in time.

It's not a "medical" issue, but I do get weak and lightheaded if I don't eat regularly (and yeah, on a cruise you do seem to eat non-stop).

The shore excursion is to a (relatively) remote area (Baddeck/Bell Museum out of Sydney in Nova Scotia) so I don't think there's a stop for shopping, etc., where there would also be places to grab a bite but I might be wrong.

There is a Café at the Bell Museum (or was a couple of years ago, when we were last there).

Ray in NH

As others have explained, the lows are the immediate danger esp. if taking certain meds.....best not to skip meals and always have a snack in my purse...

Do not recall a grill there but we went a numbers of yrs ago...you can google the museum to mske sure..there may gave been a short stop on this tour near the end but best to inquire on port boards about this specific excursion ...we really enjoyed the outing!

Edited by hcat

Most that fall during lunch usually include something, don't they?

We had one scheduled for 1 pm, planned on eating something beforehand. It has now been changed to 10 am, it's 4 hours long, and no mention of a meal. I know you can't bring food off the ship, and there MIGHT be a place to grab something during the tour, but again, maybe not.

Or you can create your own buffet like we did in St Marteen last year!

image.jpg.ddf85150fa23891277852fcb8c702b01.jpg

Don't make any assumptions about food or lunch breaks due to the time or duration. We took an excursion in Jamaica that was roughly from 9 to 3 and the only break was from about 10:20 to 11 at a restaurant that did not serve breakfast food. I got shaky by 2:30 PM after ziplining, but had time to buy cookies and a drink before we got back on the tour bus.

There is a Café at the Bell Museum (or was a couple of years ago, when we were last there).

Tetra Café

The Alexander Graham Bell Museum Association also operates the Tetra Café serving coffee, tea and other beverages, as well as delicious baked goods. The Café offers free wireless Internet service. Browse, snack and get connected within unique architectural design elements, plenty of natural light and a stellar view of Baddeck Bay, part of the UNESCO Bras d'Or Lake Biosphere Reserve.

I think I remember seeing a snack bar at the Bell museum.