Room service charge coming???????

bcnvcanada

Cat is out of the bag. Princess already stated Regal is only the FIRST ship to get these new charges.

I have done extensive research but can you point me to where they have stated this? I'm prepared to be wrong. Thx

I surely hope HAL does not initiate such a practice. Doing so would be another dilution of the "Signature of Excellence" marketing theme, in my opinion.

Maybe it is time to start to more closely consider those cruise lines that are all inclusive.

I have done extensive research but can you point me to where they have stated this? I'm prepared to be wrong. Thx

I am not privvy to any more information than anyone else, but a forum member on the Princess site, a member quite well regarded for their information, posted this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046471&page=2

Ostensibly that is based on information they received from Princess or through Princess social media outlets (I do not subscribe to those).

Edit; I am looking at Princess Facebook site and this is the form response to angry people

Hi XXXX, from time to time, we re-evaluate our onboard pricing, also taking into account guest demand for certain offerings and services. Two changes that have occurred as a result, first occurring on Regal Princess, are a $3 delivery charge for room service, and $10 per guest charge for Alfredo's Pizzeria, which now also includes a beverage. The intent is to introduce these charges across the fleet.

Edited by LMaxwell

I posted a complaint on the Princess Facebook page and got the same canned remark, indicating the new charges started on the new ship the Regal, and will be coming soon fleet wide.

There are also two other new unpopular charges, one a $10 per person cover charge for a casual Italian eatery (mostly pizza) that was previously free and the other to charge extra for mixers on mixed alcoholic drinks. Unbelievable!!

I have a bad feeling that the cruise lines have been paying very close attention to where the airlines have been making their money...additional fees!!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

If it's a "delivery charge", how do we know that isn't their way of ensuring the delivery person gets a tip?

And if it's not, then to me it's deceptive labeling. I see "delivery charge" for food items like that and to me it's code for "tip". I suspect I wouldn't be the only one.

If it's a "delivery charge", how do we know that isn't their way of ensuring the delivery person gets a tip?

And if it's not, then to me it's deceptive labeling. I see "delivery charge" for food items like that and to me it's code for "tip". I suspect I wouldn't be the only one.

Personally, room service charges when staying at a hotel has always been one of the most confusing things I encounter during my travels. At some properties, the gratuity is included in the charge; at others, it is not.

I would hope that the "premium" cruise lines don't also start with this nonsense.

If you need to make more money on your cruises, then raise the fares. Don't nickel and dime your guests to the point of deciding that cruises are not the value that they once were.

Edited by rkacruiser

On their facebook page in reply to one of the many comments about the charges, the Princess rep stated "The intent is to introduce these changes across the fleet."

Interesting enough, some of the people on the Princess FB page are blaming the take over by the Holland America.

How's that for an about face? here's a sample posting on the FB page

"Since December 1st when Holland America started overseeing Princess Cruises we have seen many negative changes with Communication leading the pack. What I found interesting was this quote from a Carnival Spokesperson.

"This will be relatively invisible to the consumer since each brand will continue to operate under their respective brand names," Carnival spokesman Roger Frizzell says. "We hope these changes will help drive greater collaboration, coordination and communications in our goal to exceed our customer expectations."

We love Princess and all the Ship staff we have gotten to know over the years. What we would like to see is upper management changes for as you can see from this quote, its not getting done"

Since we always tip the Room Service Steward, there is no reason for us to complain if and when HAL institutes a charge for delivery.

This charge would make it easier for us as a matter of fact, because then we'd not have to buy a stack of $1.00's in order to hand a couple $'s to the Room Service Steward.

Now, I hope that if/when they institute this charge, they also institute a Hotel Service Charge that is a set part of the fare and is not removable.

I realize there will be flames:( But just stating that I think this would be an excellent charge for HAL to do automatically!! OK, Flame retardant suit is donned:)

Joanie

If they start charging for room service delivery I believe that will deter a lot of people from tipping the room service delivery staff. They will be the ones that suffer.

Edited by Stratheden

Interesting enough, some of the people on the Princess FB page are blaming the take over by the Holland America.

How's that for an about face? here's a sample posting on the FB page

"Since December 1st when Holland America started overseeing Princess Cruises we have seen many negative changes with Communication leading the pack. What I found interesting was this quote from a Carnival Spokesperson.

"This will be relatively invisible to the consumer since each brand will continue to operate under their respective brand names," Carnival spokesman Roger Frizzell says. "We hope these changes will help drive greater collaboration, coordination and communications in our goal to exceed our customer expectations."

We love Princess and all the Ship staff we have gotten to know over the years. What we would like to see is upper management changes for as you can see from this quote, its not getting done"

I also have some concern about this grouping of Princess and HAL under the oversight of Mr. Kruse. I really don't understand why Carnival's new CEO has done this and why this is an improvement over the original structure under Mr. Arison.

I have great confidence in Stein Kruse. He knows the business and I believe that he is a guest-oriented business man and wants his guests to have the " cruise experience of a lifetime".

I am sure he is under great pressure to improve the yield that HAL and Princess provides to CCL. I just hope that the need to increase yield does not end up in lessening the "cruise experience of a lifetime."

Yes they changed the rules on wine but didn't lower the bottle price when you buy it onboard. They haven't offered the military/vet OBCs that P, Cunard and Carnival offer. They haven't staffed the ship with eastern European dining and cabin attendants who act like they are doing you a favor by doing their job.

Perhaps it's more accurate to say that HAL follows Princess' lead when it comes to income producing, but not when it comes to expenses.

No you would have to tip separately' date=' this would be an additional charge to your onboard account. RCI does this for room service ordered from midnight to 6 am (I think it is) and we only did this once, but still tipped the room service steward.[/quote']

Still worth it to me. I cannot see it any differently than say, ordering a Pizza to be delivered from a local Pizza Joint. They charge set fee for the pizza, taxes and a Delivery charge, which also does not go to the driver. So for me is no different. I pick up the phone, order and a few minutes later food is at my fingertips with tip in drivers hands.

I realize I am in the minority no matter what. But in an open forum I am stating my thoughts on whether I would support this as an additional charge. Answer is yes:)

Joanie

Still worth it to me. I cannot see it any differently than say, ordering a Pizza to be delivered from a local Pizza Joint. They charge set fee for the pizza, taxes and a Delivery charge, which also does not go to the driver. So for me is no different. I pick up the phone, order and a few minutes later food is at my fingertips with tip in drivers hands.

I realize I am in the minority no matter what. But in an open forum I am stating my thoughts on whether I would support this as an additional charge. Answer is yes:)

Joanie

Hi. You quoted me so I will respond - I'm not sure I understand what you are saying (yes I can be really dense at times:D) - what is it you are in the minority with? Your earlier post made it clear that you would not need $1's for tips, but you still would if they institute the room service charge. Unless you don't want to tip, of course, but that is a personal decision.

Joanie,

I, too, order pizza delivery. To compare pizza delivery to Room Service: I pay for the pizza (cruise fare), I pay for the delivery (room service steward's salary as part of my cruise fare), and I offer the pizza delivery person a gratuity (a gratuity to the Room Service Steward).

Why should I pay pay an additional room service charge?

Or, am I missing something?

Joanie

Here they refer to the "delivery charge" as a fuel surcharge because so many people interpreted "delivery charge" as an auto-tip.

I think that's why there's such confusion over the words "delivery charge".

If they start charging for room service delivery I believe that will deter a lot of people from tipping the room service delivery staff. They will be the ones that suffer.

Sadly, I think you are probably correct. :rolleyes:

I won't mind a moderate $3 delivery charge as long as room service menu remains at least mostly the same or equal and the food is delivered promptly, prepared and presented well. I will continue to tip the steward who brings the tray. :)

Well I think it's a slippery Norwegian slope:

Yes we will feed you (marginal food unless you choose one of our upsell dining options) and we will move you for cruise fare $X....it's the cruisers choice where to allocate their convenience/discretionary money. You're not subsidizing your fellow passengers.

Transparency some would say.

Where does this leave Hal or Princess? A lot more towards mainstream cruising than a step above.Some could successfully make the argument they're already there. Interesting times.

As for the comments about cruise lines following the airline model of rock bottom pricing and then everything extra is an upsell- it makes me chuckle to think of the RyanAir upcharge for the washroom experiment that had passengers wearing diapers and peeing in the seats. Yuck.

Edited by sammygoose
delete

Boy, I screwed this up. I meant to type I have NOT done extensive research on this. I have a lot on my plate and I would not waste much time researching something as trivial as this. The room service menu is pretty poor on Princess so I generally wouldn't order anything. If Hal goes this route I hope they will beef up their lido hours. Frankly $3 isn't going to kill me because it such a tiny amount of the cruise fare.

I think it's pretty sad when people can't tell the difference between the two. I always tip even when I shouldn't but I wonder how many people do. I've seen people in Neptune suites not tip a dime for room service.

Joanie,

I, too, order pizza delivery. To compare pizza delivery to Room Service: I pay for the pizza (cruise fare), I pay for the delivery (room service steward's salary as part of my cruise fare), and I offer the pizza delivery person a gratuity (a gratuity to the Room Service Steward).

Why should I pay pay an additional room service charge?

Or, am I missing something?

Right now you don't have to. It will always be a choice. If you don't want to pay it you don't have yo order room service. I can't understand why $3 is such a big deal. Don't hotels charge a delivery charge for room service?

Frankly $3 isn't going to kill me because it such a tiny amount of the cruise fare.

That is PRECISELY the response HAL was hoping to get; that it is not so offensive to put you off the brand and that you pay without further commotion about it. Princess thought similarly but seem to be getting a face full on it. Time will tell how it plays out.

I've seen people in Neptune suites not tip a dime for room service.

If you don't mind me asking bluntly; how on Earth could you possibly know the tip someone does or does not hand to a room service staff? Your statement seems strongly certain and I don't understand how you could have such a definitive first hand proof. :confused:

Right now you don't have to. It will always be a choice. If you don't want to pay it you don't have yo order room service. I can't understand why $3 is such a big deal. Don't hotels charge a delivery charge for room service?

More and more hotels are no longer even offering room service these days.

I posted a complaint on the Princess Facebook page and got the same canned remark, indicating the new charges started on the new ship the Regal, and will be coming soon fleet wide.

There are also two other new unpopular charges, one a $10 per person cover charge for a casual Italian eatery (mostly pizza) that was previously free and the other to charge extra for mixers on mixed alcoholic drinks. Unbelievable!!

I have a bad feeling that the cruise lines have been paying very close attention to where the airlines have been making their money...additional fees!!!

but the difference is the air lines do not nickel and dime the customers in business class as they have already paid the freight. I doubt that the cruise lines will take the same attitude towards those in suites on the ships. If they were smart, it would be an amenity to the suites.

Seriously, the MDR is not open in time for several port stops in Europe if you are doing a ship's tour/private tour. So, it's continental in the Lido or room service. If HAL does bring this out, then they had better expand their breakfast service. I don't mind paying for something because I want it but when the service is not offered elsewhere (ie. breakfast) then charging for it when they don't offer I elsewhere makes no sense.

and yes, we do tip for room service. I don't mind paying at all - but there has to be some reasonableness.