Paris layover

We are booked on a Mediterranean cruise in October and have an option for a 13 hour layover in Paris on our return flight. Is this enough time to see anything? If so, should I contact a tour company for a half-day excursion or should I "wing it" with my Rick Steves book in hand?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are booked on a Mediterranean cruise in October and have an option for a 13 hour layover in Paris on our return flight. Is this enough time to see anything? If so, should I contact a tour company for a half-day excursion or should I "wing it" with my Rick Steves book in hand?

I have to wonder what time you'll be getting in to Paris to have a 13 hour layover. You won't get a flight to the US much after 6:00 PM - meaning you'd have to get in at about 5:00 AM meaning you'd be dragging.

A lowing 2 hours for getting from/to airport and 2 hour check in time, you'll have 9 hours. Enough to plan a few stops - using Metro to get around. You want to work out itinerary well in advance. If at all possible, try to give yourself an overnight in Paris, because that 13 hours, given time constraints, sounds like a trip from hell.

In Paris yesterday.

You can catch a bus and do a tour. 90 minutes and 50 "sites" were advertised. Hop on and off. You can see lots of monuments from the bus but if you want to go into the Louvre for example, it takes up a lot of time.

We wanted to visit le Petit Palais. Bank holiday. Closed. Bah!

Paris is always worth a visit.

9 actual hours in Paris will give you time for a sight or two and a culinary experience. Have you been before?

The RER from CDG stops by Notre Dame & the Seine. Not far from there is the Pantheon which, depending on when you arrive there and your physical condition, has tours to the rotunda with fantastic views of the city. You can pre-book many sights including the Eiffel tower which will help maximize limited time.

Our last visit to Paris encompassed 18 hours- our ff flight from Lisbon was routed through CDG with an overnight layover- what might have been considered an inconvenience was a delight for us.

We met a lady on our Greek Island Cruise who had a 10 hour lay over in Paris on the way to the cruise which left from Venice. She saw lots of the city including visits to museums and the Eiffel tower. She thought that it was a perfect way to extend her trip.

We have been to Paris many times... sometimes for as much as a week.

So know the city well, DH speaks French, he was born in Paris.

Wonderful city. I would also recommend staying at least one night, so you are not rushed.

It is possible to get an airporter bus, Air France bus, from the airport to the center of Paris. We often do this, as we stay out at the airport (at a airport hotel, Hyatt, Hilton or Marriott) and take the bus back and forth.

The bus trip is less than 1 hour each way, unless traffic is a problem. If you do this, don't wait til the last minute to board to return to the airport... as it does get crowded and sometimes there are lines.

From the (OPera area) city center, you could easily use Rich Steves' guide or hail a taxi to do mini tour around the city.

We are planning in October to stay just one night, when we stop returning from Rome. We will take the Air France bus into the city after droping luggage off at our airport hotel/checking in there. Take the hotel shuttle back to the airport to get the bus into the city.

Paris is a wonderful walking city, you can walk any direction fron the city center and get a Parisian experience. Walk out for pick pockets though.

We love to visit neighborhoods, Rich Steves recommends Rue Cler, near the Eiffel tower as a wonderful experience. We have been there in the past, may check it out again. Many locals shops in this area and there are restrauants to enjoy, along with bakeries.

Near buy you can get a Seine river cruise and experience the city from the water.

When we are in Paris, we love to shop for wine, french bread, a roasted chicken, some cheese, pastry and have a picnic in a local park or along the river, or simply take back our finds to our hotel to enjoy.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Paris whatever you do. It is a city we love to visit any time.

Don't waste your time at the airport.

I would take the RER train vs the AirFrance bus. More options as to where to stop. Agree on the HOHO. Seine boat tour also very nice.

But the best idea, arrange a three or four day stopover and truly enjoy this wonderful city. If you do this, you will certainly return again.

My connection time has been longer than yours (23 hours), but I definitely would go into Paris! If you want to just sit back and relax, do the HoHo thing. Or, pick an area and walk/explore. The Metro is great to get you to places you want to see. I do have a quirky thing I have to do each time - go to the E.Dehillerin kitchenwares store and pick up another utensil. I've even checked my carryon-size bag just so I can bring home a knife or two… Just yesterday, I used one of the knives and my whisk :D

Why just 13 hours? Stay a day or so as long as you are there already.

DON

I think it's the perfect layover. I do this a lot in London on my way to southern Africa and the Middle East - get in to London around 6-8am from the US, and give myself until 8-10pm for the next leg. Get in to the city, which I now seem to know by heart as a result, get some exercise, see a new neighborhood, eat at a new restaurant, have a few pints near the airport (watching the planes at Green Man), and head back. All without the need to spend money on a hotel. The same can be done in Paris no problem. 13 hours is still longer than most cruises seem to give you in a port...

We think riding around on a HoHo is akin to watching a high quality movie. You get to see Paris as you ride in (or on top of) a bus and you can go home and say "I saw Paris." Personally, we would recommend choosing a few things you want to see (or do) and just use the RER to get in from CDG and utilize the fast metro to get between any major distances. However, DW and I really think the only way to get a real "feel" for the city is by walking. In fact, we just left Paris 2 days ago after a week in a nice apartment during which we think we walked over 30 miles. Paris is a city made for walking.

Hank

I think it's the perfect layover. I do this a lot in London on my way to southern Africa and the Middle East - get in to London around 6-8am from the US, and give myself until 8-10pm for the next leg. Get in to the city, which I now seem to know by heart as a result, get some exercise, see a new neighborhood, eat at a new restaurant, have a few pints near the airport (watching the planes at Green Man), and head back. All without the need to spend money on a hotel. The same can be done in Paris no problem. 13 hours is still longer than most cruises seem to give you in a port...

It depends what 13 hours you get. If it's 5:00 AM to 6:00 PM, after a night flight - kind of tough. If it's 6:00 PM to 7:00 AM, great for Paris after dark, but exhausting. There most probably won't be many flights leaving Paris for the east coast of the US between 6:00 PM and 6:00 AM, or for the west coast between noon and 6:00 PM.

Flying west is not as easy as flying east when it comes to utilizing layovers.

Thanks everyone for your input. This 13 hours is during the night ( in my excitement I failed to really look at the important details) so we may skip Paris this trip. I'm so bummed because you all have such great options! I hope this helped someone else faced with the same decision!

Thanks everyone for your input. This 13 hours is during the night ( in my excitement I failed to really look at the important details) so we may skip Paris this trip. I'm so bummed because you all have such great options! I hope this helped someone else faced with the same decision!

Well that stinks but as DH says "Now you have a reason to go back."

A thirteen hour layover in Paris before a westbound T/A flight is not likely to be anything good - flight schedules have to accomodate the 6 hour time change to eastern US, or 9 hours if you are talking West Coast - and that leaves a narrow, inconvenient window.

too bad about the connection time…

Get a room at the Sheraton CDG - it's right inside T2, between T2E/F and T2C/D, above the RER station. Grab some baguettes at Paul (a little stand right outside the Sheraton), grab some snacks things a the concession store, get a little wine, settle in… If you join the Starwood frequent guest program, SPG, you can get free wifi down in the lobby (you pay to use it in the rooms ). I actually liked the lobby and did use the wifi. The fitness center is open 24/7 and the spa is open until 11pm...