Adventure in distress

Just back from the Norway cruise, I know it may seem a bit pedantic but what stuck out like a sore thumb was the British union flag hoisted high upside down. Not only is it an insult to the country you are visiting but it is also a recognized maritime signal for a ship in distress. I pointed this mistake out to one of the officers though I did have to explain the difference as he did not know there was a right and a wrong way. He then rang the bridge and it was taken down never to return.

Edited by Two 2 Tango
Spelling

I can not be the only one that until this post thought the flag was symmetrical. A quick search corrected this 'lack' of information. From Wikipedia listing:

Upside-down[edit]

While the flag appears symmetric, the white lines above and below the diagonal red are different widths. On the side closest to the flagpole (or on the left when depicted on paper), the white lines above the diagonals are wider; on the side furthest from the flagpole (or on the right when depicted on paper), the converse is true. Thus, no change will be apparent when rotating the flag 180 degrees, but if mirrored the flag will be upside-down.

Placing the flag upside down is considered lèse majesté and is offensive to some,[7][8] However, it can be flown upside down as a distress signal. While this is rare, it was used by groups under siege during the Boer War and during campaigns in India in the late 18th century.

Now I just hope if the ship ever goes into distress they will have some better means to communicate this than to fly the Union Jack upside down and rely on other People to realize and Google the meaning of it:rolleyes:

Now I just hope if the ship ever goes into distress they will have some better means to communicate this than to fly the Union Jack upside down and rely on other People to realize and Google the meaning of it:rolleyes:

sadly when it is no longer sailing out of UK their will be few Brits who will let them know how to fly the Union flag.

It is one thing mu husband always notices when we see the flag on display, they even got it wrong that he once saw during the London Olympics.

sadly when it is no longer sailing out of UK their will be few Brits who will let them know how to fly the Union flag.

It is one thing mu husband always notices when we see the flag on display, they even got it wrong that he once saw during the London Olympics.

When it´s not sailling out of the UK there won´t be a reason for flying the Union Jack anymore:D

Just me being pedantic again, the flag is called the Union Flag; it is only called the Union Jack when it is flown from the jack staff on a war ship.

It is considered to be offensive to the crown if a ship in harbour flies the Union Flag upside down. it is also offensive to fly it if it is dirty or damaged, it should also only be flown from dawn to dusk unless it is illuminated.

I think we need to bring back keel hauling, lashing to the mast and the cat. but we can only dream. :D

Just me being pedantic again, the flag is called the Union Flag; it is only called the Union Jack when it is flown from the jack staff on a war ship.

It is considered to be offensive to the crown if a ship in harbour flies the Union Flag upside down. it is also offensive to fly it if it is dirty or damaged, it should also only be flown from dawn to dusk unless it is illuminated.

I think we need to bring back keel hauling, lashing to the mast and the cat. but we can only dream. :D

Or a plank to walk...............

And tots of rum ;)

I'm interested in what will happen to the Union flag were Scotland to break away.....

According to the Daily Mail, there is no plan to change the flag, the Saltire will remain. I'm curious to see what will happen to the currency if the Scots vote to leave the Union.

I think you'll find this is not the case. The two names are interchangeable.

I think you'll find this is not the case. The two names are interchangeable.

Just me being an old salt, I have got this off Google:

he controversy was destined to last!! There is conflict in the best of families!!

However, the flag was usually restricted to use at sea until the two kingdoms of Scotland and England were united in 1707. It was most probably from this use at sea that it got the name "Jack" ("Union Jack"). It was usually flown at the bow end of the ship, from the jack staff.

An attempt was made to modify the flag under Oliver Cromwell. A harp was placed in the centre, representing Ireland. However, the original design was restored along with the restoration of the monarchy in 1660.

The flag continued to be used in its original form until Jan. 1, 1801. At that time, with the union of Ireland and Great Britain, it became necessary to represent Ireland in the Union Flag and so the cross of St. Patrick was include thus creating the flag as we now have it. When the southern part of Ireland gained its independence in 1921 and became the Irish Free State no alteration was made to the Union Jack.

The name "Union Jack" became official when it was approved in Parliament in 1908. It was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

....of course the flag was flown upside down......they were out of beer! In the 100 year war the British refused to fight when they were told they were out of beer.........God save the Queen.......

The British didn't fight the 100 years war.:rolleyes:

....of course the flag was flown upside down......they were out of beer! In the 100 year war the British refused to fight when they were told they were out of beer.........God save the Queen.......

Well a hundred years is a long time without beer!

The British didn't fight the 100 years war.:rolleyes:

Yes we did, and it was wayyy longer than a hundred years too

I learned something new today as well.

But honestly, the difference is not so great as to be a reliable sign of distress, I would think. You would have to be in pretty close to see the difference.. or maybe that is the intent - a subtle difference that only those in the know would notice?