Taking legroom into your own hands.... as it were

NorbertsNiece

I can't believe someone would write an article about these, as if they were some new product. They've been around for at least ten years.

Knee Defenders are banned on most airlines. They are ridiculous and they can break the tray tables. I hope this does not now decline into another seat reclining thread.

Edited by 6rugrats

I can't believe someone would write an article about these, as if they were some new product. They've been around for at least ten years.

Well it is the Daily Mail. The dog turd on the pavement of journalism.

It is allowed to recline the seat so people with long legs just have to live with it.

I do however think that the seats should be constructed so that instead of the back of the seat moves backwards so that the person sitting behind get less space it should move forward so that the person who wants to recline had the choice to recline and get less space or don't recline and get more space. (I mean that the lower part of the back should move forward so that the seat is reclined without taking any space from someone else.)

I really don't like the low cost, no service airlines and I should never fly with them but one good thing with them is the some of them have seats that doesn't recline.

Edited by sverigecruiser

It is allowed to recline the seat so people with long legs just have to live with it.

I do however think that the seats should be constructed so that instead of the back of the seat moves backwards so that the person sitting behind get less space it should move forward so that the person who wants to recline had the choice to recline and get less space or don't recline and get more space. (I mean that the lower part of the back should move forward so that the seat is reclined without taking any space from someone else.)

I really don't like the low cost, no service airlines and I should never fly with them but one good thing with them is the some of them have seats that doesn't recline.

Some airlines do have the "slide forward" feature. I know Cathay Pacific does. I like it because I know that I'm in control of my legroom. But many people hate it and bitch about it (a lot)...they don't want to take their own legroom when they can take someone else's.

Some airlines do have the "slide forward" feature. I know Cathay Pacific does. I like it because I know that I'm in control of my legroom. But many people hate it and bitch about it (a lot)...they don't want to take their own legroom when they can take someone else's.

Thank you for that information!

Some airlines do have the "slide forward" feature. I know Cathay Pacific does.
Not for long (and they may all have gone already).

Cathay Pacific passengers hated the "slide forward" seats so much that the airline is withdrawing them after a very short time in service (in airline seat terms), and replacing them with conventionally reclining seats.

I believe half of their writing staff are high school dropouts.

I look at quite a few articles they post but usually skip straight to the reader comments section. I find the way other readers pick apart the spelling and grammar to be particularly amusing. In the articles themselves I often see "your" instead "you're" or additional apostrophes in decades, acronyms and greengrocer's apostrophes abound plus horrific spelling mistakes in general.

I got curious about the journalists behind the shocking journalism and sure enough you can pick up Twitter and social media accounts for most of them easily and they're young kids.

What's embarrassing is the Daily Mail is apparently the world's most read online paper now. Given the awful content and journalism standard that's a sad state of affairs, IMO.

I like it! As a tall guy I need all the room I can get.

Then you have plenty of options...exit rows, premium economy, business class, etc.

I look at quite a few articles they post but usually skip straight to the reader comments section. I find the way other readers pick apart the spelling and grammar to be particularly amusing. In the articles themselves I often see "your" instead "you're" or additional apostrophes in decades, acronyms and greengrocer's apostrophes abound plus horrific spelling mistakes in general.

I got curious about the journalists behind the shocking journalism and sure enough you can pick up Twitter and social media accounts for most of them easily and they're young kids.

What's embarrassing is the Daily Mail is apparently the world's most read online paper now. Given the awful content and journalism standard that's a sad state of affairs, IMO.

One of my favorite recent articles was about the baptism of Swedish Princess Leonore and how she is fifth in line for [to] the thrown!

Edited by grandma*knows*best

Not for long (and they may all have gone already).

Cathay Pacific passengers hated the "slide forward" seats so much that the airline is withdrawing them after a very short time in service (in airline seat terms), and replacing them with conventionally reclining seats.

The problem with most if the fixed shell/slide forward seats is that to maximize legroom they have very poor padding in the seats, and as you slide forward, you lose legroom. Additionally, the recline is very limited. We just encountered this on Air France, it was a miserable flight. It was nice however, to not have anyone recline into our space.

Sounds just like the Cruise Critic forums :D

• 2 months later...

Evening news had this all over both local and national. Darn now everybody will be buying them -- must have been 2 or 3 people on earth who did not know of the device before. :rolleyes: Thankful for security scanning taking away the guns before they could be used to settle this battle of the sexes over four inches of space. ( a first for that statement from me -- liking security!). People need to chill out. Airlines need to pay attention to what happens when you stress out your customers too much and they react violently over 3 inches of territory in dispute. Oh I love flying!!:eek:

At 6' 8" I come with my own seat blocker, my knees....

And yes I've been in a discussion about it, I've been told that like southwest policy for customer of size I should by two seats mine and the one in front.

I've also been refused to be served a drink because I won't put my tray table down, even showing the FA that it won't lie flat, its at an angle and have gone thirsty ;)

At 6' 8" I come with my own seat blocker, my knees....

And yes I've been in a discussion about it, I've been told that like southwest policy for customer of size I should by two seats mine and the one in front.

I've also been refused to be served a drink because I won't put my tray table down, even showing the FA that it won't lie flat, its at an angle and have gone thirsty ;)

I really hope you don't fly economy. At 6' the thought of economy for more than a couple of hours is pretty painful.

Tallest person I sat next to on a flight was 7' tall. Was on the port side of a 757 exit row right by the door. Never been close to someone that tall for an extended period of time. Everything was amusing from the thimble like appearance of the cup of coffee in his hand, to him having to double over to go in the toilet. His feet when stretched out next to mine...a rather memorable flight and one of the few seatmates I've ever bothered to speak to.

The funniest thing about this argument is that they were, apparently, in Economy Plus - ie they were already in the extra legroom section. It's amazing what people on flights find to get stressed out about.

Air New Zealand and Qantas are, I think, the latest airlines to have publicly announced that these devices are banned.

Evening news had this all over both local and national. Darn now everybody will be buying them

Yesterday, German and Dutch news outlets talked about this device, and also that it sold out in minutes and that there is now a 3 months long wait period now to get new ones.

Also, many airlines yesterday announced that these things were banned from their airlines.

Edited by UKBayern

Generally, I don't recline my seat but I agree with previous posters, if someone handed me that card, I'd be tempted to recline my seat just out of spite.

DH on the other hand, is 6'2, so he loves every inch he can get and if a person behind him has a problem with him reclining his seat, that's just tough for them.

I always book the exit or bulkhead rows, if I can. Its worth the extra bit for us.