16 year old grandson in solarium issue

Signs are posted that 16 and older is ok, however I noticed quite a few faces and looks as he was with me, also someone reported us and a security guard asked his age and everything. So my question is, is it frowned upon, even if its within the rules?

No issue at all as long as he is 16. Maybe he just looks young.

The Odd thing is he is pretty tall for his age. Also well behaved, acts very mature, no running diving or splashing. I was just wondering do some feel its not ok or just grumpy about kids in general?

The Odd thing is he is pretty tall for his age. Also well behaved, acts very mature, no running diving or splashing. I was just wondering do some feel its not ok or just grumpy about kids in general?

Probably both types. Ignore them both and enjoy your cruise!

It is frowned upon because while you'll often meet great people in the Solarium you'll also encounter the killjoys who are so anti-children that they'll report you to security just because someone looks too young to be there.

If I were you I wouldn't care what others think so long as you're following the rules, but if I were 16 I know I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the Solarium in the first place.

On the Allure a woman next to me was asked how old she was when we were in the Solarium and she was really angry that they questioned her because she was 31! I didn't know her but I told her she should be glad that someone assumes she's that much younger! I think if people look young they might get questioned, its just part of the deal

On the Allure a woman next to me was asked how old she was when we were in the Solarium and she was really angry that they questioned her because she was 31! I didn't know her but I told her she should be glad that someone assumes she's that much younger! I think if people look young they might get questioned, its just part of the deal

Funny story, I was told by security someone reported a child in the adult pool. , I try to have him stay in the outside pool ,but it was raining that day.

Oh man am I going to be asked repeatedly on my cruise in February if I am allowed to be in the solarium pool. At that point I will be 5 months shy of 40( :() but I look like I'm barely 22.

Actually this is rather funny. Last year we went out to celebrate my dads 83rd bday. So I was with my DH, my 9 year old DD and my 5 year old DD. Well here I am sitting with my kids and DH, wedding ring on my hand, and the waitress cards me for a glass of wine. I looked at her and ask if she was kidding. I then said I am with my almost 10 year old DD, and you are questioning me if I am 21. If I wasn't 21, that would have meant that I had my daughter when I was 11!!! :eek: Some people have absolutely no clue.

Oh man am I going to be asked repeatedly on my cruise in February if I am allowed to be in the solarium pool. At that point I will be 5 months shy of 40( :() but I look like I'm barely 22.

Actually this is rather funny. Last year we went out to celebrate my dads 83rd bday. So I was with my DH, my 9 year old DD and my 5 year old DD. Well here I am sitting with my kids and DH, wedding ring on my hand, and the waitress cards me for a glass of wine. I looked at her and ask if she was kidding. I then said I am with my almost 10 year old DD, and you are questioning me if I am 21. If I wasn't 21, that would have meant that I had my daughter when I was 11!!! :eek: Some people have absolutely no clue.

My son worked at a grocery store in high school who's policy was to card anyone who looked younger than 40. The staff risked getting fired for failing to do so.

Enjoy, its your cruise with your grandson...........

I can see people questioning it...........but, it probably is done to keep too many under-age kids from migrating there.

If my DD was questioned, I would not mind...........cause she would not be there unless she was 16.

Sea Ya

I get why they have the rule but there was a young couple in there with their 5 or 6 year-old daughter on my Navigator cruise and a woman sitting across from me watched them like a hawk all the while huffing and puffing and complaining to the guy sitting next to her. Finally one of the staff approached the family, there was a short polite conversation and they left. The woman threw up her hands as if to say, "what took you so long." I was waiting for her to start clapping. I too was relieved to see the family go only because I feared having to do CPR on the lady if they stayed any longer. I'm not sure why people let such things get to them. The kid wasn't even acting up.

On the first cruise I took my wife on (fiance at the time) I asked the waiter to approach her and ask her to leave because she was too young to use the area.

She thought he was serious until he said 16 was the cutoff. At the time she was mid 40's.:D

Where do kids go to swim when it's raining? Being kids they probably don't care. I have a adult daughter but was just curious as to what would happen.

They open the Solarium to all ages when it is raining.

If a cruise staff asks my age in the solarium... they'll be calling security... because I'm going to jump up and give them a big ole KISS!!! Oh.. I miss the days of being carded... for any reason... That would make the best cruise ever!!!!:D

On our second last cruise, we had our 16 and 18 year old sons with us for some of the time in the Solarium. The 16 looks young, and he was asked a few times during the cruise - but we have no idea if any passanger prompted any pool attendant to ask him. He just said he was 16, and that was the end of it. No issues.

Signs are posted that 16 and older is ok, however I noticed quite a few faces and looks as he was with me, also someone reported us and a security guard asked his age and everything. So my question is, is it frowned upon, even if its within the rules?

LOL, yeah, I cruise with teens (Diamond members) and we affectionately call it the hairy eyeball- pardon my French but...just tell them to...oh, what I mean is just ignore them all! Some people aren't happy unless they have something to make Em miserable. :D

We have a funny story, my daughter was less than 1 week away from being 16 (she's nearly 6 feet tall) when we cruised, she was with us and her 18 1/2 yo sister (who never wears makeup and is a petite 5'4") in the solarium. Pool patrol came over and asked the 15 year and 360 day old "is your sister at least 16" and she looked him right in the eye and answered honestly, "yes sir, SHE is!";)

I get why they have the rule but there was a young couple in there with their 5 or 6 year-old daughter on my Navigator cruise and a woman sitting across from me watched them like a hawk all the while huffing and puffing and complaining to the guy sitting next to her. Finally one of the staff approached the family, there was a short polite conversation and they left. The woman threw up her hands as if to say, "what took you so long." I was waiting for her to start clapping. I too was relieved to see the family go only because I feared having to do CPR on the lady if they stayed any longer. I'm not sure why people let such things get to them. The kid wasn't even acting up.

LOL, that is so funny, Gregg, and i totally agree, some are not happy unless they are miserable;) Around here we call them Red Sox fans;):p

Isn't the reason for the 16 year old rule to keep kids from disturbing the peace (Meaning diving, splashing, etc.)?

On my recent Eastern Freedom cruise I noticed that all of the kids under 16 who would pop into the overhanging hot tubs would sit there quietly looking out at the water, enjoying the place, while most 20 year olds would jump in, talk (or yell) loudly, and causing a lot of disruption.

I for one would take the respectful kids any day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Isn't the reason for the 16 year old rule to keep kids from disturbing the peace (Meaning diving, splashing, etc.)?

On my recent Eastern Freedom cruise I noticed that all of the kids under 16 who would pop into the overhanging hot tubs would sit there quietly looking out at the water, enjoying the place, while most 20 year olds would jump in, talk (or yell) loudly, and causing a lot of disruption.

I for one would take the respectful kids any day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. I would rather quiet 14, 15 year olds over obnoxious adults. On our Allure cruise there was a group of very loud supposed adults in the pool all day long, amd I do mean ALL day, getting a steady stream of drinks from the bar staff. We sat as far from the pool as possible and it was still pretty annoying. The rules state 16 and over which they were. Actually glad there were not kids there :eek: they would have gotten some education. On the other hand if quiet younger kids were there maybe they would have toned it down, but doubt it.