Extra Tips

cstrick

We had prepaid gratuities on our last cruise. I usually tip a little extra. This time they seemed disappointed. Those of you who do tip extra... how much is the minimum? I know that this is a personal question but I would like some guidelines. Please help.

Those of you who do tip extra... how much is the minimum?

Obviously there's no established "minimum" on extra tips. For cabin stewards and cruises where we've had a set seating with the same wait staff every night, we've given an additional $20-40 depending on how impressed we've been with our perceived level of above-and-beyond service. Sometimes of course, service has been good, but nothing out of the ordinary and we've stuck with the cruiseline amount for prepaid grats.

For cabin stewards and cruises where we've had a set seating with the same wait staff every night, we've given an additional $20-40 depending on how impressed we've been with our perceived level of above-and-beyond service.

This amount is for the full cruise, surely not daily? :eek: Assuming I'm correct, for what length cruise? Perhaps a better way to phrase the question is how much on a daily basis?

We had prepaid gratuities on our last cruise. I usually tip a little extra. This time they seemed disappointed. Those of you who do tip extra... how much is the minimum? I know that this is a personal question but I would like some guidelines. Please help.

The staff seemed disappointed with the extra tip??? :eek:

We have heard some tip very generously ...we are not rich so we do are not one of those people

For a 10 day cruise we may tip our room steward an extra $20 if we request more than the basics

With anytime dining we rarely see the same waitstaff more than once

If we find a team that work well we will request to sit in their section then we do tip extra

This has not happened on the past few cruises ..last cruise the service was less than satisfactory just for basic service in the dining venues

I think you should tip what you feel comfortable if the crew do not like the amount then do not give them any extra

JMO

Lyn

PS we are cheap Canadians

Obviously there's no established "minimum" on extra tips.

There really is a minimum on extra tips and that is $0.00! Frankly am amazed that someone would ask that question as tips are a personal matter and the service received dictates the amount of the tip. If you ask 100 people how much they tip, you will probably get 100 different answers.

Let your conscience be your guide.

I do not tip extra on every cruise and I certainly do not feel compelled to do so

If service is truly outstanding or I receive extra special services I tip extra.

On the cruise I just disembarked I tipped the barista!!! Carmelo made me special lattes every day. He was surprised to get a tip and very appreciative. He deserved it

There are no rules and it is not anything ever discussed among passengers. When I have tipped extra I have always felt it was very appreciated. Frankly I give the tip in an envelope and the staff does not open it in my presence

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks, I seem to have done the right thing. There are cruises that I haven't tipped anything extra because the service was not anything special. But some crew members stand out and I want to acknowledge that service. I just wanted to get a feel for the amounts.

Is there a crew fund on Oceania?

No.

As an alternative, because we received great service throughout the ship and I wanted to acknowledge all those that added to our cruise not just the ones who we had some face time, etc. I went to Reception to add to our daily charge.

Almost felt I should not have. It was suggested I just give something to individual's directly. I replied that I still might do that but this is a little something for everyone ... It was recorded, sign here ...

I gather this is rarely done on O and I realize that the amount spread over the pool will not give much to anyone but quietly, simply, accepting it would have been what I expected.

Based on that experience I've not done that again.

I am surprised that Oceania does not have a crew fund that passengers can donate towards. On both Seabourn and Azamara there is a crew fund and some of the uses of these dollars are heartwarming. Plan tickets home due to a family emergency, money for a much needed medical procedure and a new tv for the crew bar are just 3 things I am aware of.

It is a great way to reward those members of the crew you never see, but greatly contribute to your cruise experience.

I can confirm that there is no crew fund. We had some non-refundable OBCs left on our account and we wanted to make it a gratuity. We were advised that it should be directed to an individual so we divided it between our butler and stewardess.

I can confirm that there is no crew fund. We had some non-refundable OBCs left on our account and we wanted to make it a gratuity. We were advised that it should be directed to an individual so we divided it between our butler and stewardess.

I had the opposite experience in April. I had over $100 in non refundable OBC

And asked it go to our steward. I was told it had to go into a general fund. This was on the Riviera.

This amount is for the full cruise, surely not daily? :eek: Assuming I'm correct, for what length cruise? Perhaps a better way to phrase the question is how much on a daily basis?

Yes, what I posted previously would be extra for the cruise, not per day.

There really is a minimum on extra tips and that is $0.00!

No need to get snarky. The entire question was based on the premise that one might be inclined to add extra on occasion, and the OP simply wanted a general idea of what that others consider for the extra amount. No one ever said you HAVE to tip extra. :rolleyes:

On our recent Cruise our Butler was less concerned with a tip than he was that he received a perfect score on the comments card.

We actually gave him and the room stewards $50 each for their excellent service.

Brian

On our last cruise we were billed on our account 22.50 PP per day. Came out to about $700.00 for the entire cruise. We did give a little extra to our butler who was great. What we were billed seemed to us a lot of money for tipping. I think it is about the top for all cruise ships. I would think O also pays their people so the tipping should be extra. :):)

On our last cruise we were billed on our account 22.50 PP per day. Came out to about $700.00 for the entire cruise. We did give a little extra to our butler who was great. What we were billed seemed to us a lot of money for tipping. I think it is about the top for all cruise ships. I would think O also pays their people so the tipping should be extra. :):)

Your $700 is shared by many hands ;)

Most cruise lines pay a small salary ($50) the rest comes from tips this is for waitstaff & housekeeping staff other get a set wage

They are not hired & paid by O directly but through a hiring agency who probably takes a cut/fee

On our recent Cruise our Butler was less concerned with a tip than he was that he received a perfect score on the comments card.

We actually gave him and the room stewards $50 each for their excellent service.

Brian

The comments cards matter a lot more than tips -- can be the basis for a promotion.

I make notes of names of staff who are particularly helpful throughout the cruise (can no longer depend on short term memory LOL) and make sure to include those names in both mid cruise and final comments.

Should we tip in the premium restaurants? We have not done so in the past (we try to lock up our wallets and leave them so do not carry money about), but now I wonder if the staff there has a way of procuring tips?

Should we tip in the premium restaurants? We have not done so in the past (we try to lock up our wallets and leave them so do not carry money about), but now I wonder if the staff there has a way of procuring tips?

Yikes. No

But mention those who gave you great service on the comment cards

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Most of the wait staff rotate to different dining venues

they do not have the day off & just work in the evenings you will see some waiter from Polo at breakfast in the Terrace or GDR etc...

Tip is included in your daily charge but I guess if you want to leave them something extra go for it

Lyn

cstrick......normally I will provide the cabin stewards and butler an additional $5 per day at the end of my cruise. I have in the past given the butler $20 if he has set up a table for dinner on the balcony for my wife and I and possibly two others cruising with us but staying in a different cabin.

I have not given anything additional at the end of a meal, whether in GDR or a specialty restaurant. We did a b2b and were on board for 24 days. We ate at either Polo or the Italian specialty a few times and requested the same service group. On our last night eating in those locations, I gave table service employees each $20.

On occasion I will give a bartender or pool server a $2 bill, especially if I have used them often.

Hope this provides you with some answers or direction.