Where would you go on a first European cruise?

stacymills99

We have done one European cruise, and trust me, we did a lot of research before we decided on ours.

What we realized right away was that going all that way just for a cruise was just not practical. We wanted to spend at least 2 weeks away, so for us the departure city was just as important as the cruise itself.

We settled on Rome as the city we based our travels from. Of all the cities in Europe, Rome was what we most wanted to see, and it is short distance by rail to Florence and Naples. Rail service in Italy is excellent and inexpensive.

So we spent five days in Rome, did a day trip to Naples and Amalfi coast, and a day trip into the Umbria region. After 2 days in Florence, we went back to Rome, or Civitavecchia rather for our 7 day cruise around the western med, visiting Genoa (train into Milan), Cannes, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca and Valencia.

We had a fabulous vacation. Plan on returning to Italy one day soon, loved it

So when you plan and research your trip, don't consider just the cruise, but also what you'll want to do before and after the cruise.

Agree with the above poster. Pick a city that you particularly want to see, and find a cruise that either starts there, or visits. Get a copy of Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports and read it to see what there is to see/do in the ports. It may help you decide where you want to go. EM

I don't think you can make a bad choice. We have been to the Baltic, British Isles, Eastern & Western Med, Black Sea and a couple of river cruises. All were wonderful. So I would start with you. What interests you?

I would look closely where the cruise begins and ends.

Try to find one on both ends that is of places that you would want to spend more time visiting and spend a few days pre cruise and if time allows post cruise.

I think visiting Italy would be great.

Keith

Very broadly, western Med for cities & comparatively modern history, and eastern Med for a mix of more ancient history & lazy island days.

As many posters have mentioned, choose a turnaround port that appeals & spend a few days there. And there are a number of one-way Med cruises, so you can enjoy pre-cruise & post-cruise in different cities. IMHO those that offer turnarounds & are most difficult to fit into a port-of-call timespan are Rome, Istanbul & Barcelona.

Many cruises include overnites in Venice or Istanbul or Athens.

Due to logistics the Baltic & Black Sea are best explored by cruise ship, but IMHO should be left on the back-burner, the Med is the place to visit first.

JB :)

Norway all the way up; Spitsbergen; Faroe Islands; Iceland. I am not being sarcastic - those truly were my best spots in Europe. I might also add a circum-British isles cruise to the mix.

I like cold climates and scenery over old stuff although I have done both.

It does show, however, that asking other people what they prefer is silly. You need to define your needs, interests, and things that you are not interested in and then come back and ask your question again.

DON

Earlier posters have it right - eastern Med for a first cruise is probably ideal. It at all possible fly open jaw, so you can have a few days each at different embarkation - debarkation ports. Rome - Athens, Rome - Venice, Istanbul - Athens, Istanbul- Venice are all frequently offered itineraries of about 7 days - which would permit a few days at each end for in depth. All the cities named demand more than just the few frustrating hours a port call would give.

I would look closely where the cruise begins and ends.

Try to find one on both ends that is of places that you would want to spend more time visiting and spend a few days pre cruise and if time allows post cruise.

I think visiting Italy would be great.

Keith

I agree. We chose a tour that went around the boot of Italy, starting in Rome and finishing in Venice. We did a pre-cruise stay in Rome, post-cruise in Venice then extended to Milan so we were able to see lots of Italy, including an excursion to Florence.

Last fall we did a 12 day Eastern Med starting in Barcelona where we did a day ahead at the Artz Hotel, a Ritz Carlton Property, that had 11 Electric Smart Cars for use when we stayed on the concierge level of the hotel. Fantastic to do our own local travel and see excursions. Then on to all of the great ports of Italy, Greece, France, and Turkey. Spent the last overnight in Venice. It was really fun to drive a car in Spain with a USA drivers license and no international license! We are going back for more of Spain in a couple of years after we finish our retirement home early next year.

Thank you for all the feedback. We really have no preference at this point. I see that Rick Steves wrote a book for the Med and Baltic. I may check both out and see which ports interest us the most.

Is there a particular city you have always wanted to see?

There is not a city that really stands out at this point. There are several ports in a Baltic and Med that would be interesting, all for different reasons.

Spend some time in the ports of call forum here: :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Spend some time also on Trip Advisor here: :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Destinations-cTop-g4

When you find something that just grabs you and you think "I have to go there and experience that" you can then build your trip from that point. :)

Find one place you feel a passion for and the rest will roll out. :)

Most of the Med will be hot in June if that makes a difference.

I loved the Baltic cruise I did -fascinating ports and not too hot.

I agree! The Med was brutally hot by the end of our cruise in mid June. We live in TX, so it isn't like we aren't used to heat. :(

The Baltic was a fantastic cruise. The whole family loved it and would go again in a heartbeat! St. Petersburg is one of my all time favorite ports.

However, it is what you enjoy that matters. ;)