Interesting things overheard on latest Celebrity Cruise

timbo89

On S- class ships ( and maybe M and C too, but this happened on Solstice) there are up and down arrows at the top of the doorway -- you would have to reach high up to touch them -- to show which way the elevator is going. I saw a man repeatedly punching the up arrow as if it was the call button. I calmly walked up and pressed the actual call button, he muttered something and slinked away.

The sad thing about these observations is that they are true....somehow, when people get on a ship on a cruise vacation, the mind just turns off and the most logical people just turn off their brain.

On a Tracy Arm Fjord excursion the deckhand told me that he had been asked "how often do they wash the glaciers?". Unbelievably he was asked this more than once.

His favourite was people asking "what elevation are we at?" when stepping onto the boat.

"Ummm....sea level."

On a Tracy Arm Fjord excursion the deckhand told me that he had been asked "how often do they wash the glaciers?". Unbelievably he was asked this more than once.

His favourite was people asking "what elevation are we at?" when stepping onto the boat.

"Ummm....sea level."

Yup. When we lived near Yellowstone, a friend took someone on a tour, who asked how often they mow the meadows. . .you can't fix stupid.

My reaction here is actually dismay, that someone like that would reproduce.

Assuming, of course that she had a child in the stroller, not a Chihuahua dressed in nautical gear

And which she of course would claim is her "therapy" dog.

As we were coming out of Tuscany one morning on Eclipse, a couple near us were preparing to enter Blu. The man turned to his companion and said loud enough for us to hear, "Tuscany is just for the Captain's Club riff raff."

It was really funny the way he said it. In fact, he may have been joking, but I'm not really sure. The rest of the cruise I laughed about being "Captain's Club riff raff" every morning when we went to Tuscany.

I'm from Vancouver so rainforest is my backyard...literally...but I forget that for some it's a new experience.

At Icy Strait Point while walking through the forest excursion, aka path through the woods, there was a person getting their picture taken beside a tree.

I said "shhh...you've got to be quiet and move slowly or you'll spook them." They said "uhhh what?" I pointed and said "the trees." They were a few words into thanking me before they realized I was having fun with them.

But then again I had paid lots of money and travelled 1200 miles to see a tree very similar to one in my own backyard. Who was more gullible. :)

A couple of sayings:

"You can't make this stuff up!"

and, especially when it comes to somewhat costly cruises...

"There are some people with far more money than brains!"

To throw in a few of my own:

"Do these stairs go up"

"Does the crew go home at night?"

On the old Regal Empress, the German captain (to this day a dear friend of mine) used to have passengers ask him what the white "pods" on the deck were.

With his rich German accent he would say: "They are depth charges in case the U-Boats come after us!" Of course, after seeing the expression on the passenger's face, he would tell them what they really were.

On a different note, I recall a time on Regal Empress where we were going through the Cape Cod canal on our way to Canada. I didn't even know there was a Cape Cod canal! Anyway the captain invites a whole bunch of his passenger friends on board to the bridge for the passage, my wife and I included. The bridge was packed!

There was the captain, staff captain, pilot, helmsman, and a member of the cruise staff who is giving narration of the passage over the PA system to the rest of the pax. As she's doing this (the pilot was navigating the boat) the captain goes over to her and starts to tickle her to see if she will lose it and start laughing!

Later, a tour / excursion boat comes along side of us loaded with pax out for some sight seeing, and the sight of even a 20,000 ton cruise ship next to it was quite a sight.

The pilot says to the affect, "That's the blah-blah (I forget the vessel's name) it holds about 250 people".

With that, the staff captain, without missing a beat says, "There's more people on this bridge right now!"

Of course there wasn't, but we had quite a crowd, and one of my top-10 memorable times in cruising. I should also add I certainly had many memorable ones on Celebrity too, but nothing as funny as this!

Last year on the Eclipse, we were in the MDR. We had select dining and decided to share a table. We got talking to a range of people. When we said we were from Northern Ireland we were promptly asked "Do you go out and riot?". In keeping with their curiosity I could not help but say...."we save our glass soda bottles up during the week and on a Friday night go to the gas station, fill them and buy matches - all sorted for the weekend then". Clearly we DO NOT go out and riot, nor does the majority, it is a very small uncondoned few!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On S- class ships ( and maybe M and C too, but this happened on Solstice) there are up and down arrows at the top of the doorway -- you would have to reach high up to touch them -- to show which way the elevator is going. I saw a man repeatedly punching the up arrow as if it was the call button. I calmly walked up and pressed the actual call button, he muttered something and slinked away.

Maybe he thought it would get the elevator there quicker, sort of like the people who rub the screens on slot machines.

True story--- On a sea day- my friend and I had just finished some serious shopping on board. As we were headed to join our husbands for a drink, she said: "Let's put these bags in the CAR :confused:, so the guys won't know what we bought!" (No-she's not blond) We have never let her live this down...Too funny. :D

So now, when we get on a crowded elevator on a cruise ship , we ask her to push the button for the parking level. :eek: We get some good laughs.

On a bus trip up to Mt Dalsnibba from Geiranger....

"I don't like going uphill on a bus. I hope it isn't uphill on the way back

This statement reminds me of the story my parents would whine about. "You kids have it so easy". "When I was your age we had to walk to school in the snow without shoes and it was uphill both ways."