Can we overthink and overplan?

pv girl

Not to prove the point of this thread, but... Which excursions were they? And should I be concerned that at this point with the cruise leaving on 7/26 that one of them with 2 times has the other time wait listed but not mine and the other with (I think) 5 times has one wait listed but not the others (including mine)?

As consolation .... when we did the Alaska Land Cruise Tour - not any of our land activities or excursions were cancelled. :):)

My family of 4 has traveled the last few summers with my husbands parents. Since I am a former travel agent I enjoy planning these trips. Trying to find activities, lodging, etc for a group with a 70 year age range is always a fun challenge. This year it was a bit easier since the in-laws wanted to do a cruise. :D

Like someone else mentioned, for me it is a hobby. I plan carefully so that everyone in our group will do/see/experience something they really want.

I enjoy looking at the menus and the daily programs so I am prepared to answer questions and recommend activities. (Or really so I know when I can sneak in visits to the Thermal Suite while the kids are at Club Hal)

There is a fine line between adequate planning and too much, but I am not going to judge if someone labels their clothing. To each his own.

I have, however, converted my in-laws who have a long history of underplanning. They can't believe how much they have been able to do on our last two trips thanks to careful preparation.

Good points about not OVER planning.

I think you have to research what you may do each day, but have some options and be flexible. For example, our flightseeing trip in Juneau got cancelled at the last minute, so we did other things there and changed our Ketchikan plans to do a flightseeing there. Worked out great.

Good points about not OVER planning.

I think you have to research what you may do each day, but have some options and be flexible. For example, our flightseeing trip in Juneau got cancelled at the last minute, so we did other things there and changed our Ketchikan plans to do a flightseeing there. Worked out great.

Well and good when you're not committed to something else that's included with the whole reason you're on HAL in the first place. Sadly I don't have that kind of flexibility. Ketchikan is so tight we can do absolutely no excursions. And my guess is any other whale watching in Juneau either won't fit with my schedule or will be sold out if the 6pm Discover Alaska's Whales gets cancelled.

Just a thought - can we overthink and overplan every little detail of our trips, so that there is no "magic" and surprise left when we actually take it?

I think there is a fine line in travel planning. I don't like unpleasant surprises, and also don't want to miss anything of particular interest in case I don't happen to pass that way again. But I try to leave room to take advantage of any "magic" moments that happen along the way.

I try not plan every little detail. Just research enough to come up with your list of "not to be missed" items. I do want to make as sure as I can that the ship cabin and/or hotel room locations are in quiet and safe areas. If I can't sleep well, then it will be hard to enjoy the rest of the trip.

Hope this helps :).

... Can we overthink and overplan every little detail of our trips, so that there is no "magic" and surprise left when we actually take it?

Am I crazy?

No and no. Next question. ;)

Normally I over plan everything (Program Manager for complex projects is my day job!) but last fall we took a 41 night cruise and only booked it 2 weeks prior to leaving. Didn't leave much time for planning! We had a wonderful time!

I recently did a TA on the N. Amsterdam. I did research the 6 ports ahead of time and chose and prebooked my top two wishes. I went whale watching in Horta on a private tour-fabulous and I did not even take my camera out-instead I later added the days pics from the company's facebook page to my own photos. Also booked the HAL tour of the Alhambra because I knew that was a ways from the ship and with timed prebooked tickets, tricky to do on your own.

In other ports I had some ideas about the main sites, strolling around/doing HOHO buses/sharing taxis with others etc. With an eye to the weather each morning and depending on my energy level each day I decided on the fly how to get around to at least one of my top picks for each port and enjoyed the sights, shopping and food along the way. It was a lovely trip and the first time I have cruised alone so it was pretty easy just having one person to please. I did meet at least two couples who had prebooked too many excusions on their 26 day itinerary and were skipping a couple they had paid for either because they needed a rest day or the weather was awful or both. Or going because they paid for it but really didn't feel like it. I guess I have learned I am the type who likes to have some things prebooked and others I kind of go with the flow. If safety or distance from the ship( eg Egypt) is a concern I usually book a HAL shore excursion.

I do remember doing a European cruise a few years ago and my friend and I prebooked excursions each day- except I left one day free- these included lots of walking and somehow I hurt my knee the day before I left. I self limited my walking on some of the tours and was very glad to have one rest day. My friend got food poisoning the first night on the ship and was very ill and we were both up half the night. We were thankful we had booked an afternoon tour the first day or we never would have made the morning one. Although we could not have predicted our illness or injury how could an experienced traveller( me not her) have failed to take into account that the first 6 days of our 7 day med trip were port days which we all know are quite exhausting, especially when it is hot. Prior to that I think I had been used to the Carribbean type itinerary where it is typically a port day, sea day, port day and so on. I sure learned my lesson on that trip!

It definitely is a very individual thing how much to plan and I too enjoy the planning but as many have said good surprises are nice too. Happy travels to all regardless of how much you choose to plan ahead!

For me, I just wanted to make sure I have my excursions set and a clue about the money. I am really only cruising on HAL because it is what my running coach and her husband use for their Alaskan Running Cruise adventure. It is a means to an end only. I don't know HAL and have no reason to trust the brand yet.

Otherwise I would be waiting until I could afford Alaska surrounded by real magic on the Disney Wonder. DCL is my magic, happy line with a company I know I can trust. Can't wait to be back on it in February with the Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise.

I'd love to be proven wrong and find an alternative cruise line...but time will tell.

Please come back and tell us what you think of HAL.

I love to plan. I agree that it extends the trip and increases anticipation. But I do not plan every minute.

I like to list my "must dos"' and some restaurant choices - including their location, so I don't waste time retracing my steps. But I also try to pick neighborhood or streets to explore. This allows for some spontaneity, but avoids my missing something really important to me. I have even noted the name of a specific shop or market.

When it comes to packing - call me the list queen.:D But my list ensures that I have what I need, and help me avoid overpacking. I do my best to make sure that each top and bottom can be combined with at least a couple other items. My biggest problem is always shoes.;)

I love to plan. I agree that it extends the trip and increases anticipation. But I do not plan every minute.

I like to list my "must dos"' and some restaurant choices - including their location, so I don't waste time retracing my steps. But I also try to pick neighborhood or streets to explore. This allows for some spontaneity, but avoids my missing something really important to me. I have even noted the name of a specific shop or market.

When it comes to packing - call me the list queen.:D But my list ensures that I have what I need, and help me avoid overpacking. I do my best to make sure that each top and bottom can be combined with at least a couple other items. My biggest problem is always shoes.;)

I do have three packing lists (carry-on, small roller bag, large roller bag), but for this trip that is largely because I have to be super specific about stuff for running the races as there will be no expo to hit up for anything forgotten as there would be at a regular half and/or full marathon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you have a diet or allergy issue, I do not understand why people want copies of the nightly menus. Just don't get it.... Live it up a little, be surprised! JMHO.

As for myself, I love seeing those menus. I look at them and think ... I've had this or I've had that, and thrill in the re-living of the experiences.

I agree there is such thing as over planing. I think some of the members of my family think I am over planning. However I beg to differ. We are going on our first Mediterranean cruise. We have never been to that part before. Over the past few months, I have read books, the internet and forums to get a better idea of some of the things in the ports we are travelling to. I see it more as research more than anything as there is SO much to see there. I am not into planning every day down to the minute detail but through that research, I have arranged tours in Rome and Naples (Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coadt) - which we were not going to go see until we saw more- and have rented a vehicle in Livorno and have identified a beach we really want to visit in Corfu. I also found us the apartment we are staying in in Barcelona at a good price. My mom says to leave a little surprise out there. But I argue I want to be prepared 1) to answer my kids questions if possible and 2) to get some highlights of the ports. I know we aren't going to see everything in one day. It's impossible (unless you are time neurotic like the person the pp mentioned - I am not). But through reading and research I know it's doable to visit the Colusseum and St. Peter's Basillica for sure. We have identified those are our top places we want to see.

I do think I am going to tone it down a bit so there is some surprise when we see stuff in person. But I agree there is a fine line.

It is obvious that many people on CC are over the top over planners. Planning each meal on a trip is only minor compared to the people who have a spreadsheet that lists what they are going to wear each day (probably down to the underclothing) based on the activities of the say.

There was a post a while back from a person who had his one day in Rome planned to the minute including a grand total of 15 minutes for lunch. I pointed out to him that he (I assume this was a he) did not allow for the time it would take to get from one 15 minute visit to the next 18 minute site. I also pointed out that there was no time allowed for bathroom breaks. His response was - oops. I guess that he had to totally redo the plan. He was actually going to do this with his whole family.

The is a problem that cruisers have because they are going to be in a city one day from 8:30 to 4:00 and they feel that they have to jam as much as possible into their 7 1/2 hours in the city. I generally pick one place that I really want to visit and let the rest of the day flow.

It is also the reason that I prefer land trips to cruises because on a land trip you can stay several days in a city and if you want more, you just rearrange the rest of the trip. If you miss a place - so what.

DON

One thing you have to remember in Europe is the distance from the port to the places of interest. The Mediterranean is not the Caribbean - ports tend to be modern, commercial ports eg Civitavechia for Rome, Piraeus for Athens and you could waste a lot of time if you don't take an organised tour. I'd recommend the Greek islands or the Balearics - more user friendly for an 8 hour stay. Particularly Majorca and the Cathedral at Palma a short taxi ride from the port.

I can be guilty of overplanning but have learnt to do less of it; I could plan too many things so it becomes a rush from one thing to another and not leaving enough time to just relax and enjoy.

I don't think I have ever looked at cruise ship menus before going on a ship but I am an adventurous eater and will always find something interesting to eat (I must be one of the few on CC that actually enjoy International night and my problem is that there are too many things on the menu that I want to have!)

I am, unfortunately, a very picky eater. I like plain simple food. It helps me relax knowing there is something on the menu I can enjoy. There is always the steak, but I don't want that all the time. Actually I've only ordered it once. I usually can find something I like. As to what to do everyday, I like to be surprised.........but in a good way of course.:D

I fully understand that some people have very specific food likes and dislikes. However, how does perusing the daily menus in advance help this? You have to eat something each day even if it is just cereal. Does it help you to know that on day 3 of your cruise, there may be nothing that you like to eat? To me, it would just make me look forward to a lousy day 3 instead of finding out on day 3 that there is nothing you like.

Please explain.

DON

I fully understand that some people have very specific food likes and dislikes. However, how does perusing the daily menus in advance help this? You have to eat something each day even if it is just cereal. Does it help you to know that on day 3 of your cruise, there may be nothing that you like to eat? To me, it would just make me look forward to a lousy day 3 instead of finding out on day 3 that there is nothing you like.

Please explain.

DON

how about - hey, that would be a great day to plan to meet at the Lido/Dive-In

It doesn't have to be a lousy day [Alexander], that can be your option day, or your day to split up a group and eat separately, or do room service and go to an early/late show that you would miss otherwise. Because the is a limited number of hours for food service except for room service, one might say - hmmmm day 3 doesn't look too interesting in the MDR, if the menus doesn't change when we're on the ship lets have [burger, room service, PG, etc] that night

how about - hey, that would be a great day to plan to meet at the Lido/Dive-In

It doesn't have to be a lousy day [Alexander], that can be your option day, or your day to split up a group and eat separately, or do room service and go to an early/late show that you would miss otherwise. Because the is a limited number of hours for food service except for room service, one might say - hmmmm day 3 doesn't look too interesting in the MDR, if the menus doesn't change when we're on the ship lets have [burger, room service, PG, etc] that night

This! And also it lets me plan to bring more dollar bills for the likely increased use of room service.

This! And also it lets me plan to bring more dollar bills for the likely increased use of room service.

i'm good on bills - I've been using cash more recently to try to rein in my spending, so lately I've been putting my change and 1's in a bowl. I know you can get ones on the ship, but this has focused my spending/saving habits. I've got at least $70 in bills and probably 40-50 in change - just have to remember to take it to the credit union change machine next Saturday. yes, it is that close!! :cool:

i'm good on bills - I've been using cash more recently to try to rein in my spending, so lately I've been putting my change and 1's in a bowl. I know you can get ones on the ship, but this has focused my spending/saving habits. I've got at least $70 in bills and probably 40-50 in change - just have to remember to take it to the credit union change machine next Saturday. yes, it is that close!! :cool:

Yep! I do the same thing with my ones. :)

Please explain.

DON

Perusing the daily MDR menus before you cruise has several purposes with a major one being to select which night to purchase advance reservations for the Pinnacle Grill or Tamarind (if available) Restaurants.

It also saves walking to the MDR during the day (unless you are in a suite and receive the daily menus in your mail box) to read the menu and then decide which dining option to choose for the evening meal.

Perusing the daily MDR menus before you cruise has several purposes with a major one being to select which night to purchase advance reservations for the Pinnacle Grill or Tamarind (if available) Restaurants.

It also saves walking to the MDR during the day (unless you are in a suite and receive the daily menus in your mail box) to read the menu and then decide which dining option to choose for the evening meal.

Menus do change however. If not totally then maybe just an entree or 2 and one might be something you might love. I would never make a decision about where to eat based solely on reading menus on CC before I left home.